Heath Ledger Died Of Accidental Overdose

Autopsy confirms cause of death

Heath Ledger Died Of Accidental Overdose

by Olly Richards |
Published on

A New York City medical examiner today confirmed that Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. The cause of death was confirmed by spokeswoman Ellen Borakove, who said the cause was "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine". Those are drugs variously prescribed for insomnia, pain relief and anxiety.

In a statement through his son's publicist, Ledger's father, Kim, said: "While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath's accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage."

Ledger was found dead in his New York apartment on Jan 22. He was 28.

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us