Login

Matt Damon And Paul Greengrass Reportedly Back For More Bourne

Call it The Bourne Reunion, perhaps.

Matt-Damon-Paul-Greegrass-Bourne-Reunion

In a twist worthy of the agent himself, it appears that Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass are making deals for a return to the Bourne franchise. According to Deadline, the pair is likely to slot in a Jason Bourne-focused fifth entry to the series in place of the developing sequel to the Jeremy Renner/Aaron Cross story.

It’s something of a shocker, as both Damon and Greengrass have said on the record that they had no plans to revisit a story they felt they had already told. But then, they have both also mooted a potential return if the right script could be written and they could work together again, and it appears that that’s the case now.

Universal, which has yet to officially confirm anything, is apparently so enthused by the idea of the pair returning that it wants them to have the film ready for the July 15, 2016 release date that had previously been given to the Bourne Legacy follow-up that Justin Lin was developing to direct. That film apparently remains in development, so it could well appear after the latest Damon outing, assuming this all actually goes ahead. Lin, meanwhile, may take the opportunity to work on True Detective’s second season, which he has also been linked to.

So what do you make of this new revelation? Do you want more original flavour Bourne, if it features a reunion of the series’ most popular director and star? You know where to sound off.

More from Empire