Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 10:29:13 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

An adaptation more in tone with the book would be welcome.

I suppose at least this time around, we'd get the powered armour...

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 241
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 10:39:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

The fact they didn't have the proper equipment is part of the joke of the film. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 242
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 11:11:37 PM   
Timon

An adaptation without Michael Ironside would not be welcome.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 243
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 11:21:59 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The fact they didn't have the proper equipment is part of the joke of the film.†

I thought it was because they couldn't afford the effects?

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 244
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 11:33:21 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

An adaptation without Michael Ironside would not be welcome.

Michael Ironside should be in everything

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 245
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 11:34:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Marenghi

quote:

The fact they didn't have the proper equipment is part of the joke of the film. 

I thought it was because they couldn't afford the effects?

Nah - look at it this way. The training they recieve - in what way does any of that help them with the bugs. Throwing a knife to stop a bug using a weapon? The joke when they guy says "Remember your training and you will get through this" is that none of the training is useful.

And in terms of equipment - what is more expensive - a solider or a power suit? It wouldn't be the first time a massive miltary opertation underequipped its forces.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 246
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 2/12/2011 11:35:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

Not saying budget problems might have been a problem, but the issue is addressed subtly in the film itself. 

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 247
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 3/12/2011 4:34:34 PM   
Saltire

Still a ruddy good film!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 248
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 4/12/2011 1:35:50 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

If they want a sci-fi war movie why not get the rights to the Forever War?

Man, that would rock. Forever War is an absolutely corking book. The only issue might be that it's ever so slightly out of time, what with the Vietnam allegory. I'm not sure if it would quite be the same if that focus were to be removed. But it would certainly make for a fresh Troopers clone...

Yeah because the US haven't been involved with in any recent wars where a Vietnam comparison could be drawn. No siree. Absolutely not. That's the wrong answer Bill. What are you talking about? Answer the question!

I'm not sure any war that America has participated in since has featured the same concept of the veteran and how the public views said veteran in quite the same way as Vietnam though. And that's kind of central to the time dilation plot of The Forever War. And, unfortunately, any subsequent war that America participates in will always draw parallels to Vietnam, because of where that conflict sits in American consciousness, even when such comparisons are fairly arbitrary and not ideal to the understanding of the former conflict nor the latter... 

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 249
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 11/12/2011 12:18:00 AM   
Private Hudson

I think America is over Vietnam to be fair.

9/11 is what changed it all. America is now used to wars like Iraq and Afghanistan where they win the actual battles but then face guerilla warfare. In Vietnam the Americans faced an enemy which could have been defeated but the political will was lacking due to the lack of public support.

What is forgotten in the entire Vietnam issue is that Nixon did eventually bomb Hanoi to the Paris peace talks. It is what happened afterwards that let down South Vietnam as the North reneged on their word and invaded long after the main American force was gone.

America is often in an unusual position where they have to win wars with one hand tied behind their back in order to keep public opinion on their side. The one exception would be immediately after 9/11 where if Afghanistan was more developed and the USA bombed the hell out of it, I doubt many nations would have complained.

That's why if I was Iran I would be very concerned as America has been itching for a confrontation since 1979 and any potential war with Iran would have the backing of the average American who remember the fall of the Shah, the debacle in the desert and the rise of the Ayatollah.

Let's pray for peace in that region before something happens again.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 250
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 11/12/2011 7:02:36 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

I think America is over Vietnam to be fair.

9/11 is what changed it all. America is now used to wars like Iraq and Afghanistan where they win the actual battles but then face guerilla warfare. In Vietnam the Americans faced an enemy which could have been defeated but the political will was lacking due to the lack of public support.

What is forgotten in the entire Vietnam issue is that Nixon did eventually bomb Hanoi to the Paris peace talks. It is what happened afterwards that let down South Vietnam as the North reneged on their word and invaded long after the main American force was gone.

America is often in an unusual position where they have to win wars with one hand tied behind their back in order to keep public opinion on their side. The one exception would be immediately after 9/11 where if Afghanistan was more developed and the USA bombed the hell out of it, I doubt many nations would have complained.

That's why if I was Iran I would be very concerned as America has been itching for a confrontation since 1979 and any potential war with Iran would have the backing of the average American who remember the fall of the Shah, the debacle in the desert and the rise of the Ayatollah.

Let's pray for peace in that region before something happens again.

Can America afford another war at present? I doubt it very much. Also Iran is the superpower of the Middle East and that would also not be a guaranteed victory if they did go in. I hope this doesn't escalate as Ahmendinijad (spelling?) will be out in the next few years as he's causing ruffles there, and also on a personal front, a very good friend of mine is Iranian and I would not like to see her or her family in distress.

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 251
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:01:09 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

Watched this again last night,and blimey didnt relise what a annoying screen presence Denise Richards was.
She literally carried the same gormless,smily face throughout the whole film,plus she cant act (how did she get to star in a James Bond Film?).While I wished Michael Ironsides character made it till the end.

Still it is a fun film,just with a severe case of bad acting all over it.
Now if they're rebooting it please give it a cast that can,y'know,act.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 252
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:04:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

But that was part of the point...

(in reply to DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT)
Post #: 253
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:13:29 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

What to get a cast that couldnt act?

I think the point was to make a good space action sci-fi,which they did,but surely little more care with who they should have chosen to act out certain characters.
I mean the budget was $105million dollars in 1997,surely they could have brought in better performers?
The CGI in the film still stands up well today though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 254
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:28:26 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

ORIGINAL: DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

I think the point was to make a good space action sci-fi,which they did,but surely little more care with who they should have chosen to act out certain characters.
I mean the budget was $105million dollars in 1997,surely they could have brought in better performers?

You clearly missed the point that the whole film was Vehoeven taking the piss out of U.S foreign policy and portraying them as fascists(how could you have missed all the nazi imagery? Neil Patrick Harris turns up wearing Gestapo gear for gods sake!) The fact that the main young cast were bad actors was part the films charm and quite intentional on Verhoevens part i think.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 255
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:30:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

The film was designed to be an earnest propaganda film, and one feature of propaganda films is that they usually don't have very good actors, but rather good looking people. As Breeze says, it fits in with the satire running throughout the film.

Post #: 256
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:33:28 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

quote:

quote:

The film was designed to be an earnest propaganda film, and one feature of propaganda films is that they usually don't have very good actors, but rather good looking people. As Breeze says, it fits in with the satire running throughout the film.

True,....I still wanted Denise Richards character to die a painfull death,I mean the way she used Rico..tut.tut,what a bitch haha.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 257
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:35:39 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

True,....I still wanted Denise Richards character to die a painfull death,I mean the way she used Rico..tut.tut,what a bitch haha.

Your not alone there.In fact Verhoeven says in the commentary that test audiences said they wanted Carmen to die.I beleive the words used were ''Kill the slut!''.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 258
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:42:15 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Your not alone there.In fact Verhoeven says in the commentary that test audiences said they wanted Carmen to die.I beleive the words used were ''Kill the slut!''.

Really,cool.
The film was going very cliche with alot of scenes so I was rather surprised Carman didnt die.We all knew one of the 'ricco lovers' would die,just I thought (wished) it would be Carman.
Also (being really picky now) how come Carman's ship was the only one that,well,moved? ie every other ship was like sitting ducks.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 259
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:48:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

She survived because she wanted to be a citzean. Same as NPH. Dien goes on a journey where he becomes a model citzean. Diz only joined because she wanted to be with Rico - she was punished for this - as were all the Troopers who went into the miltary for selfish reasons. Busey intitally did, but because he was happy with his lot in life, he was spared.

Remember - this film was made as if the Federation commissioned it, and it was being screening in cinemas in that future society.

Post #: 260
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:51:25 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

She survived because she wanted to be a citzean. Same as NPH. Dien goes on a journey where he becomes a model citzean. Diz only joined because she wanted to be with Rico - she was punished for this - as were all the Troopers who went into the miltary for selfish reasons. Busey intitally did, but because he was happy with his lot in life, he was spared.

Remember - this film was made as if the Federation commissioned it, and it was being screening in cinemas in that future society.

who's rebooting it?
And any news on the director?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 261
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:54:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

It won't get rebooted. I bet all the money in my pockets it won't happen.

There is an animated movie out this summer.

Post #: 262
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 6:56:32 PM   
Cool Breeze

Unfortunatley it IS being rebooted.The producer of the Fast And Furious films is behind it as reported in last months Empire.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 263
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 7:01:10 PM   
DARKO_DONNIE_DONUT

quote:

Unfortunatley it IS being rebooted.The producer of the Fast And Furious films is behind it as reported in last months Empire.

I presume if they are going to reboot it,arnt the producers/directors just going to go down the same route as the previous film/s?
Giving the fanbase the idea that there isnt much point in rebooting it.

Anyone see the sequels?

Post #: 264
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 7:03:46 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Still won't happen. These things are announced all the time and never happen. What has happened is someone has bought some rights to the series and wanted to make some waves.

Post #: 265
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 7:05:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I presume if they are going to reboot it,arnt the producers/directors just going to go down the same route as the previous film/s?
Giving the fanbase the idea that there isnt much point in rebooting it.

Anyone see the sequels?

Second movie is awful rubbish.

Third movie is actully really fun - don't expect a movie of the same class as no.1 but it has some really cool bits and pieces - it is direct to DVD, but deffo one of the best examples of its kind.

Post #: 266
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 28/1/2012 8:10:45 PM   
Scott_

Starship Troopers 3 also has this awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlnqeImvr6Y

I listen to it far too much.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 267
RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! - 30/1/2012 3:30:32 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I like the sequels, even the second one.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 268
RE: STARSHIP TROOPERS: INVASION - 20/3/2012 3:40:08 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

There's going to be a fourth Starship Troopers film - Starship Troopers: Invasion.

Invasion, which is the fourth installment of the franchise, has two of the originalís involved as executive producers: writer Edward Neumeier and actor Casper Van Dien. Manga veteran Shinji Aramaki, who helmed Appleseed and Appleseed Ex-Machina is directing the project, which is now in production. The movie will likely get a theatrical release next year in Japan, where the franchise is popular. In the U.S., the pic may hit some festivals before going to DVD/Blu-ray.

The new story centers on Carl Jenkins, the intelligence officer originated by Neil Patrick Harris in the 1997 movie, going missing while on a clandestine mission with alien bug-fighting soldiers tasked with a rescue mission that has sinister consequences.

And here's the trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3BBINQfv3E&feature=share

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 269
RE: STARSHIP TROOPERS: INVASION - 20/3/2012 4:06:13 PM   
st3veebee

Whats great about ST, among many other things, is just how well it has aged: both thematically and the SFX. Some of my favourite cgi ever.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: IT'S BEING REBOOTED!!!!!! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI