Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S - 26/2/2008 12:39:42 PM   
Timon

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/starshiptroopersmarauder/index.html

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 121
RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S - 26/2/2008 6:42:09 PM   
Zaphod121

For those who can't get the trailer working on from that link, you can see it here
http://www.hofmae.ch/swisstvblog/?p=574
Looks pretty damn cool if you ask me. KILL 'EM ALL! Sweet.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 122
RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S - 26/2/2008 8:19:56 PM   
Deviation

Are some bits taken from the first Starship Troopers?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 123
RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S - 26/2/2008 10:32:23 PM   
dracovir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Are some bits taken from the first Starship Troopers?

Either that or they finally got the effects up to par!

Looks great, albeit in a trashy, crappy but fun way.  I'm looking forward to it no end.

Medals don't help me sleep at night...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 124
RE: Starship Troopers - 1/4/2008 9:32:36 AM   
Zaphod121

Has anyone seen ST 2? Any good?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to dracovir)
Post #: 125
RE: Starship Troopers - 1/4/2008 9:34:40 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Seen it. One of the worst films I've had the misfortune to see. Skip it.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 126
RE: Starship Troopers - 1/4/2008 10:10:14 AM   
Zaphod121

Damn, might check it out anyways, still looking forward to 3 though.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 127
RE: Starship Troopers - 1/4/2008 10:27:22 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Seen it. One of the worst films I've had the misfortune to see. Skip it.

I saw it again a few weeks back. Still bad but at least there's some hot ladies.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 128
RE: Starship Troopers - 1/4/2008 12:56:56 PM   
The REAL Bozz

ST2 aint shit but it's let down by a silly low budget. How Sony thought they could make a worthwhile sequel on such a small budget is beyond me. The script is good though and has some good ideas and funny dialogue. It plays out a bit like The Thing and Body Snactchers, but like I say the budget really lets it down and the films reeks of cheapness.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 129
RE: Starship Troopers - 2/5/2008 12:49:25 AM   
Frank_The_Tank

Starship Troopers is one of my all time favourite movies, its awesome. I cannot say the same for the second however, i can honestly say i think Starship Troopers 2 is the WORST film i have ever seen, i was completely blown away by how absolutely shit it was. Especially compared to the first. Still there is hope, as the third one actually does look quite good, its got Casper Van Dien back and looks like it got a good budget like the first.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 130
RE: Starship Troopers - 4/5/2008 11:30:47 AM   
The REAL Bozz

Haha, don't get your hopes up mate. The budget aint a fraction of the first films. It's just a well made trailer although it is supposed to be the most expensive DTV movie EVER!!

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Frank_The_Tank)
Post #: 131
RE: Starship Troopers - 4/5/2008 11:34:56 AM   
darth silas

Sorry but that trailer for ST3 looks rubbish and makes it look like they spent 5 quid making the film.If they really want to make a worthwhile sequel,theyd get Verhoeven back and a decent budget.Aint gonna happen though

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

Post #: 132
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 1:30:25 AM   
the anomaly

Watching this now on BBC 1. Great film first time I have looked at reviews for it have to say I am puzzled by the negative reviews. On it's own it's a great action film. It still looks good today. Really good set pieces.
Also a great satire on militarism. The propaganda etc is great.
I never thought this before but why do the infantry never use any sory of vehicle on the ground? Like a tank? Or is it a commentary on how the soldiers lives are not valued by those in charge. Even the armour and wepons seem pretty basic considering humans have achieved interplanetary travel via space ships.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 133
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 10:43:36 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

Watching this now on BBC 1. Great film first time I have looked at reviews for it have to say I am puzzled by the negative reviews. On it's own it's a great action film. It still looks good today. Really good set pieces.
I never thought this before but why do the infantry never use any sory of vehicle on the ground? Like a tank? Or is it a commentary on how the soldiers lives are not valued by those in charge. Even the armour and wepons seem pretty basic considering humans have achieved interplanetary travel via space ships.

Bingo. I think there may have also been budget constraints but this was the main point. When the guy (who is President Carters son I believe) says "Remember your training and you will make it out alive!" we are suppose to snigger as it is pretty obvious the training they got (throwing knives?) was in  useful for a bug fight.

I still haven't seen an explanation for how Denise Richards surivied the bug fart bomb during the attack - it looked pretty obvious she got caught in a fireball.

And why did Ditz have to die? WHY!!!!*

* I did like how she got a full on funeral but everyone else who died - including their leader and a General didn't get even a mention. Way to be classy Rico!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 134
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 1:14:52 PM   
sphincter

quote:

Damn, might check it out anyways, still looking forward to 3 though.

ST2 is worse than shit, watching it will make you a worse person than you are now. Anyone who tells you it isn't complete and utter crap could well be a criminal or playing a truly horrible joke on you.

what burns never returns

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 135
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 6:28:03 PM   
Tech_Noir

Starship Troopers is one of the best movies of the 90s - regardless of genre.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 24/5/2008 6:34:19 PM >

(in reply to sphincter)
Post #: 136
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 9:21:07 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Bingo. I think there may have also been budget constraints but this was the main point. When the guy (who is President Carters son I believe) says "Remember your training and you will make it out alive!" we are suppose to snigger as it is pretty obvious the training they got (throwing knives?) was in  useful for a bug fight.

I still haven't seen an explanation for how Denise Richards surivied the bug fart bomb during the attack - it looked pretty obvious she got caught in a fireball.

And why did Ditz have to die? WHY!!!!*

* I did like how she got a full on funeral but everyone else who died - including their leader and a General didn't get even a mention. Way to be classy Rico!

Agreed. The next time you see her she just has a scar on her forehead and that's it.
The only thing I can think of is the fireball only flew past the front of the ship and destroyed the front. But there is some kind of lockdown that will shut that part of the ship off.

You do see somthing like that when she first takes the ship out and the asteroid came out of the black hole and collides with the ship. It only takes out one bit of the ship and the hole on the ship due to the damaged is locked off and airsealed.
I can not think of anything else. Still I watched it with my girlfriend last night and it's the first time she had seen it. I did not know what to say at the time to explain.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 137
RE: Starship Troopers - 24/5/2008 10:12:38 PM   
Dr Lenera

Love Starship Troopers,which is why I've avoided the sequel!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 138
RE: Starship Troopers - 25/5/2008 1:47:38 AM   
G.O.B

Watched this for the first time today,great film although from reading this thread i notice the second film isn't getting quite as much praise

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 139
RE: Starship Troopers - 25/5/2008 11:34:15 AM   
the anomaly

Has anyone read the book? Most reviews seem to slate it as it changes so much from the book and in their opinion does not portray the themes and story of the book.

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 140
RE: Starship Troopers - 25/5/2008 11:35:48 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

Has anyone read the book? Most reviews seem to slate it as it changes so much from the book and in their opinion does not portray the themes and story of the book.

The book was a major disappointment.

Much of it is Rico in training.

Post #: 141
RE: Starship Troopers - 25/5/2008 11:38:36 AM   
Rgirvan44

I prefered the Forever War.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 142
RE: Starship Troopers - 26/5/2008 2:02:56 PM   
Deviation

quote:

The book is a bit on sinister military propaganda if you ask me, the type the film criticizes.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 143
RE: Starship Troopers - 27/5/2008 11:03:22 AM   
ScottiE

Starship Troppers is one of the greatest black comedys ever made.
The whole point of the infrantry having nothing but some crap rapid fire guns agaist all those bugs. is comedy genius.  I love the bit where the Camare man gets ripped to shreds. while is attempting to catch the onslught on camera makes me crease.

top top movie.  Just aviod the second is compleat toilet.

" Your 10 seconds away from the most embarrasing moment of your life "

"When you need to shoot , shoot, dont talk "

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 144
RE: Starship Troopers - 27/5/2008 11:54:45 AM   
The REAL Bozz

quote:

The book I loved mate. I guess people expected it to have a ton of action along the lines of the film but it hasn't. So if you are intrested in reading it I should warn you most of it is Ricco (Who is Latino in the book I think) either in training or flash backs to his school days. However there are some battels and also the inclusion of other alien species besides the bugs. Great read which goes into great detail about the MI and how it operates and also has a ton of philisophical debates throughout in relation to society that are still relavent today. I didn't find it to be dogmatic which it came under attack for.

ST 3 will borrow heavily from the book and include the Marauder suits. Should point out also it is the most expensive to DTV film in history. The budget is 40 million. I know the trailer looked roppey but there are meant to be full on space battles, planet hopping and a collection of new bugs. I for one am holding out hope the new film will be decent.

< Message edited by The REAL Bozz -- 27/5/2008 11:57:50 AM >

Films I've watched
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 145
RE: Starship Troopers - 27/5/2008 12:15:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

Is it just me or does it look like Ross Geller has stumbled onto the set?

Post #: 146
RE: Starship Troopers - 27/5/2008 12:26:12 PM   
clownfoot

Caught this on the Beeb on saturday - kind of bizarre as I've got it on DVD, but one can never pass up the opportunity to miss out on Casper Van Dien's chiselled acting ability, multi-sex shower scenes, rampant mutilation of the beautiful people, Clancy Brown showing everyone else up, Doogie Howser nazified, bags of homoeroticism and the greatest line in the history of film delivered by Ironside. Besides its the only film ever to have successfully ripped off Aliens where you donít feel embarrassed to mention it in the same breath as Aliens...

Anyhoo, I managed to convince Miss Clowny to sit down and watch it with me, and she only went and loved it! Considering this is a girly-girl that usually opts for Grease, The Sound of Music and Pride and Prejudice, she seriously brought into the whole cheesy brilliance and mocking of America's imperialistic military ineptitude that Verhoeven and Neumeier had carefully crafted with adoring CGI. I knew there was a good reason why I'm marrying her in three weeks. Still, more work needs to be done! I need to convince that Ravenous is in her best interests to watch as well now...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 147
RE: Starship Troopers - 27/5/2008 1:03:10 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

Caught this on the Beeb on saturday - kind of bizarre as I've got it on DVD, but one can never pass up the opportunity to miss out on Casper Van Dien's chiselled acting ability, multi-sex shower scenes, rampant mutilation of the beautiful people, Clancy Brown showing everyone else up, Doogie Howser nazified, bags of homoeroticism and the greatest line in the history of film delivered by Ironside. Besides its the only film ever to have successfully ripped off Aliens where you don't feel embarrassed to mention it in the same breath as Aliens...

Anyhoo, I managed to convince Miss Clowny to sit down and watch it with me, and she only went and loved it! Considering this is a girly-girl that usually opts for Grease, The Sound of Music and Pride and Prejudice, she seriously brought into the whole cheesy brilliance and mocking of America's imperialistic military ineptitude that Verhoeven and Neumeier had carefully crafted with adoring CGI. I knew there was a good reason why I'm marrying her in three weeks. Still, more work needs to be done! I need to convince that Ravenous is in her best interests to watch as well now...

You should make sure she likes Robocop and Total Recall as well.

Never can be too sure....

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 148
RE: Starship Troopers - 30/5/2008 11:01:10 AM   
Deviation

I knew something was missing in Starship Troopers.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zMU2tX5n8&feature=related

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 149
RE: Starship Troopers - 30/5/2008 4:15:40 PM   
Paap28

I watched Starship Troopers recently and thought that it was really good, I was bored that day and there was nothing else to do and I  thought I might give this film a try.
I had never seen it before because I had doubts about it.

The special effects are so convincing that you forget they're fake.

7/10

" I believe that all of life's answers can be found in the right Spielberg film. "

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: S T A R S H I P T R O O P E R S Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI