Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Royle Family Special

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Royle Family Special Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 9:54:05 PM   
Castor Troy

This has just made me cry my eyes out 3 times.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.
Post #: 1
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 9:59:27 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I never even knew they were doing a new episode, damn! They best repeat it.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 29/10/2006 10:01:10 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 2
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:00:42 PM   
Castor Troy

It's just been on - just a one off special.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 3
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:03:41 PM   
Nicola1001

I laughed out loud and I cried, what an absolutely brilliant programme

Post #: 4
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:03:45 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Yeah I just checked the TV Guide, I'm gutted I missed it. Is it getting a repeat this week? Or am I going to have to acquire it via the internet?

It used to be one of my favourite shows.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 29/10/2006 10:04:17 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:09:59 PM   
sushiandrice

Better repeat this. So pissed off I only just got in. Fuck fuck fuck. I'm so annoyed so I'm listening to Half the World Away to compensate.

You space bastard.

Post #: 6
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:10:11 PM   
VincentHanna

Wow.
Very, very good.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

Post #: 7
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:10:54 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

Absolutely brilliant. How they manage to go from laugh out loud funny to tears streaming down your face in a single, one-shot scene is remarkable. Magnificent acting all round.

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

Post #: 8
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:24:26 PM   
LB Jeffries

Truly top quality. Had me laughing hard and shedding tears in equal amounts. The scene between Barbara and Norma when she was asking whether she was burden were incredibly moving. Even better than the bathroom scene between Denise and Jim from a couple of series ago when Denise was in labour.

When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 9
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:27:36 PM   
LB Jeffries

Sorry I forgot I had a minor gripe. Why the f**k did the Beeb put this on in the last week of October? Surely Christmas or Boxing Day would have been more fitting for something so good.

When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 10
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:35:57 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Gonna burst the bubble here but I thought it was one of the worst ones they ever did to be honest. Far, far too sentimental, no-where near the comedy it started out as. Started as a comedy, turned into a weepy drama. Sorry folks, don't mean to spoil the thread!

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 29/10/2006 10:41:38 PM >

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

Post #: 11
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:38:23 PM   
Indio

I thought it was excellent, maybe the scenes in the hospital were a bit drawn out but overall great stuff, hope its not another 7 or 8 years before we see another episode.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 12
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:57:57 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

Gonna burst the bubble here but I thought it was one of the worst ones they ever did to be honest. Far, far too sentimental, no-where near the comedy it started out as. Started as a comedy, turned into a weepy drama. Sorry folks, don't mean to spoil the thread!

I agree that it took a more serious tone. I've never really been a massive fan of the show to be honest - I only watched it out of interest more than anything, but the subject matter (more so than the character) just caught me off guard and ripped out my soul.

Post #: 13
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 10:58:20 PM   
smila darcy

I can appreciate how most people loved it, but to be honest it did absolutely nothing for me.  Shame really, I was looking forward to it.

How long do we have, twenty minutes and thirty seconds? Let's go!

All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of people.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 14
RE: Royle Family Special - 29/10/2006 11:28:06 PM   
GhostWriter

I agree it was fantasic, I had tears in my eyes many times. However what was with Walk The Line being the cutaway so much? It was so great seeing everyone back. Like seeing old schoolmates or something. I had tears rolling down in the final scene.

< Message edited by GhostWriter -- 29/10/2006 11:30:04 PM >

If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant.

(in reply to smila darcy)
Post #: 15
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 8:22:23 AM   
Newander

I too really liked it. Great writing and performances as normal from this show. The tribute programme afterwards was good too.

To indeed be a god!

(in reply to GhostWriter)
Post #: 16
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 10:59:56 AM   
Ed Wood

Excellent, although I thought Anthony was underused, and where was his mate Darren? He's brilliant!

PICK FLICK

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 17
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 11:22:36 AM   
Jim

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

Sorry I forgot I had a minor gripe. Why the f**k did the Beeb put this on in the last week of October? Surely Christmas or Boxing Day would have been more fitting for something so good.

I thought exactly the same thing. It was an excellent one-off cleverly filled with both hilarious and heartbreaking moments but it really felt like it should have been on in the Christmas holiday.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 18
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 12:04:06 PM   
RealKittyFantastico

Seeing Norma & Jim making peace was fun, but the show was more heartshatteringly sad than funny.

(in reply to Newander)
Post #: 19
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 12:31:17 PM   
Merly

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

I get what you're saying but it was still good. I enjoyed it. Still enough funny moments to compensate for the sentimentality. Cheryl was as funny as ever, I love Jessica stevenson
Nana was awesome, bless her. Cracked me up everytime she'd pipe up from the corner in her bed and they'd all take turns in saying "Aw hello nana, are you awake?"

Jim coming down the stairs on the chair lift at the beggining and Having a wobbler over the remote control was comedy gold.

I love this show. Not the funniest of episodes by any means but still a great hours viewing.

......So what do ya say, you can't give me the dreams that are mine anyway...half the world away......

The She shepherd hot chocolated me, it's her juju.

Post #: 20
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 1:56:45 PM   
Oddjob

Great show, but I think that 'I Walk The Line' was overused.  I enjoy the song, but there are loads of other Johnny Cash tunes to choose from aswell.

The special is out on DVD today.  You can get it either on it's own or with the 3 previous series.

(in reply to Merly)
Post #: 21
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 3:38:01 PM   
___

I thought it was very good and great to see the old gang again. I didn't think it was quite as slick as the original series - which given the amount of time since the last show is understandable - but it was still a great episode.

(in reply to Oddjob)
Post #: 22
RE: Royle Family Special - 30/10/2006 4:21:27 PM   
TobiasFunke

Good episode, chiefly because of the performances, and particularly because of Liz Smith. I see I'm not the only person that was upset by the scene between Barbara and Norma - it was beautifully performed and it didn't feel forced at all. What did feel forced for me at least was Ricky Tomlinson's performance. He just wasn't the Jim Royle I remember, way too OTT and shouty, and in fact too nasty to be his old likeable self. I hoped we would get to see more of Joe and Twiggy, but I think they did right by focusing on the family rather than the supporting characters. I did hope also that we would see a new slimmer Cheryl, who would have found success somehow, like a handsome fiance or something, but again she was just Denise's sidekick and the butt of fat jokes. Most of the characters got a fairly happy ending, except for the obvious of course. I really hope that we don't get another series, because I thought last night's episode was quite a fitting ending, and it wouldn't be the same without Nana being the bane of Jim's life!

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to ___)
Post #: 23
RE: Royle Family Special - 31/10/2006 10:16:12 AM   
Niate

I loved Denise's Chantelle extensions and the fact that she constantly called people "babes". Although Nana's nails and extensions had me in hysterics. Wonder if my Granny would be up for it...

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 24
RE: Royle Family Special - 31/10/2006 10:17:13 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

Wonder if my Granny would be up for it...

She was last night.

(in reply to Niate)
Post #: 25
RE: Royle Family Special - 31/10/2006 10:34:21 AM   
Niate

Boom Boom!!

Post #: 26
RE: Royle Family Special - 31/10/2006 3:13:15 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Just saw this last night after missing it on the day it aired, some parts were funny, some parts were laugh out loud funny, some parts just weren't funny, and some parts were moving.

The editing was awfull though, what was with the constant use of Johnny Cash? It rarely suited any of the scenes it was used in and was over used aswell. Jim throwing a wobbler over the remote was brilliant, especially when he finally told Dave he already hear what Barbara had said when Dave was the messenger

Why wasn't Emma in the episode as Anthony's wife, and why was his wife referred to as Sarah? Are we to assume they broke up and he kept the child? Or was it just a mistake in the writing?

It was great to have Twiggy back though, they took their time introducing him but he finally popped up.

(in reply to Niate)
Post #: 27
RE: Royle Family Special - 31/10/2006 10:42:24 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: TobiasFunke

Good episode, chiefly because of the performances, and particularly because of Liz Smith. I see I'm not the only person that was upset by the scene between Barbara and Norma - it was beautifully performed and it didn't feel forced at all.

Just had to scoop myself off the floor - I'm a complete wreck after watching this. Starting crying during the scene between Barbara & Norma and carried-on right through til the end.

Beautiful bit of telly; a credit to the beeb.

< Message edited by Marky_Mark -- 31/10/2006 10:46:29 PM >

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 28
RE: Royle Family Special - 1/11/2006 3:15:05 PM   
unhingedmoviepigeon

A brilliant show.........Nana's acting was superb! She was glorius and deserves some acclaim/honour for being able to carry off such an emotional perfomance. Almost made me cry......the most moving comedy/drama I've seen in a very  long time!

Take my love.
Take my land.
Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.

Post #: 29
RE: Royle Family Special - 1/11/2006 7:58:26 PM   
Marky_Mark

Liz Smith is a national treasure!

I think her performance/character got more chuckles from me than anyone...hair extensions LMAO!! Her comment about her doctor made me laugh so hard, because it's just the sort of thing my grandma used to say;

"He is pakistani you know, but he's very open about it".

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to unhingedmoviepigeon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Royle Family Special Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI