Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Paycheck - 29/10/2006 2:38:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Nadir - 29/10/2006 2:38:21 PM   
cadz

As a massive John Woo fan, the moment I heard he was directing ben affleck my heart dropped. The most uncharismatic actor of his generation replacing the likes of nic cage?doomed from the start. and while i defend bits and pieces of his hollywood work(face/off was outstanding, even m:i-2 had its vintage moments) this is the bottom of the barrel for the master and even a lowpoint in a career (pearl harbour,gigli,jersey girl,reindeer games,surviving christmas ouch) of lowpoints for muttonhead affleck.hopefully, as with all failures, woo can learn from this and re-scale the heights of hard-boiled, the killer et al..

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Nadir - 30/10/2006 9:18:42 PM   
Dready

I didnt mind Paycheck at all, it was quite entertaining and kept me amused for an hour or so.

Killer Boots man!!

What's up Harry, some philly break your heart?

Nah, it was a girl!

(in reply to cadz)
Post #: 3
Paycheck - 14/12/2006 8:00:43 PM   
solid snake

An embarrassing excuse for an action film.

Post #: 4
RE: Paycheck - 3/9/2007 3:12:08 PM   
shool

Quite enjoyed this. Nice bit of enjoyable fun.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

Post #: 5
Fun, Half-Decent Actioner - 13/5/2008 3:51:31 PM   
blaud

But nowhere near up to the standards of woo's earlier work.

Post #: 6
no where near afflecks worse - 1/12/2011 2:10:40 AM   
chrisharvey1551

i do agree ben affleck misses a lot of basic acting skills and at times looks a bit lost but this i i dont think is that bad the rest of the cast is good which helps alot and the idea is a good one worth a watch but not to be taken seriously

Post #: 7
RE: no where near afflecks worse - 10/4/2012 6:54:29 AM   
Phubbs

Paycheck (2003)

Another classic Philip K. Dick story is brought to the big screen only this time its been 'Woo'd'. To be very very honest this is pretty much a poor mans 'Minority Report' with a bad cast, accept for the big chinned Eckhart, why this short story has not been given the same care as 'MR' I don't know.

The film plays out with Affleck (yes -_-) as a 'reverse engineer' who...actually I still have no idea really what he is suppose to do in his role, all I know is it involves having his memory wiped after he's done each job but this time he has been used and set up by the evil Eckhart.

Cue allot of running around, guns blazing everywhere, your typical Woo car/motorbike chase with standard silly slow motion stunts and of course your typical standard Woo point blank face off...or Mexican standoff. The concept for the film is pretty neat, not totally original in today's film world but it has promise, unfortunately like 'M.I.2' Woo was totally the wrong director for such a decent sci-fi story.
The whole thing looks bad, especially during the finale which looks like its been filmed on a set from the 60's Batman TV show, plus the acting is poor and hammy from almost everyone. Its all too predictable and quite simply its been done allot better with other films.

(in reply to chrisharvey1551)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Paycheck Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI