Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Phenomenal Setup, Disappointing Ending

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Phenomenal Setup, Disappointing Ending Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Phenomenal Setup, Disappointing Ending - 19/3/2011 3:18:58 PM   
blaud

The Prestige boasts two of the most talented actors working today, and the script feels original and, basically, brilliant. The story will grip you right from the off, as two budding magicians who become rivals battle it out to find the best trick (fans will say that the story is more complex than this, but that really is the story in a nutshell). However, the crescendo is such a monumental disappointment that feeling cheated is a total inevitability. My theory is that, similar to a magic trick, when the mechanics of the trick are revealed, it ceases being amazing and then just becomes obvious. I think this is what the filmmakers were going for. However, this doesn't excuse such a copout as this. Truly open mouthed ending. And not in a good way.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 151
The Prestige Review - 4/2/2012 10:35:17 AM   
the film man

Full of twists and turns, The Prestige is a dazzling period piece that never stops challenging the audience.

Post #: 152
Magic - 26/9/2012 7:38:14 PM   
LifeNeedsMeaning

I love how this film is such a reflection of itself. This film describes the obsessions and disastrous contributions of the world of magicians, while the film contributed its own illusions. Nolan didn't really focus on the historical detail, which is a particular relief because we were able to focus on the depth of the characters. Which really helped move the story along. It also meant I enjoyed the thrilling, unexpected and shocking moments - the ending almost killed me! Caine, Bale and Jackman, no, wait, Nolan, Caine, Bale and Jackman just made a perfect film. It was just brilliant how they made a very entertaining film without exploiting the intricacies, maturity and realism, despite not focusing on the setting itself.

Post #: 153
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Phenomenal Setup, Disappointing Ending Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI