Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RE: - 26/12/2007 12:48:01 AM   
Indio

I have to agree, I thought The Illusionist was a lot better than The Prestige, I could see The Prestiges twist coming a long way off, not helped at all by Bales 'cor blimey guv'nor' accent (in fact a lot of the accents were all over the shop, Bowie/Tesla was no better either in my opinion) or by daring to assume most of the audience wouldn't spot him with a stick on moustache either.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Anne Hedley)
Post #: 121
RE: RE: - 26/12/2007 6:57:48 PM   
Lightfoot

The Illusionist was largely mediocre. If you thought that the power of The Prestige lay in spotting the "twist", which a blind dog picked twenty minutes into the film, you rather spectactularly missed the point of it. Prestige was my number one for last year. Amazing film. 

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 122
RE: RE: - 26/12/2007 10:24:21 PM   
Anne Hedley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

I have to agree, I thought The Illusionist was a lot better than The Prestige, I could see The Prestiges twist coming a long way off, not helped at all by Bales 'cor blimey guv'nor' accent (in fact a lot of the accents were all over the shop, Bowie/Tesla was no better either in my opinion) or by daring to assume most of the audience wouldn't spot him with a stick on moustache either.

No NO NO......I said that there was no way The Illusionist was better than The Prestige and listed some very sound reasons as to why.  I only said that the matching as rivals of Jackman and Bale was a stroke of genius but fact Jackman's peformance was the outstanding one and his stature as a showman and his accent were vey very accurate  - the reason I did not put Bale in this class was because his accent although not for cor blimey [and I doubt cor bllimey was required for this part] only hinted at light east enders accent.   In my opinion  I disagree with  you in respect of David Bowie.  The moustache was a prop for Telsa not an assumption that the audience  were asleep.  The one thing you did not do in this film was stop watching - closely  - and misdirection again - was it a stick on moustache ! or were you not looking closely enough !

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 123
RE: Very good Film - 29/12/2007 5:41:16 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysid

I enjoyed this film as it was directed by a director who knows how to handle these types of films.

Good Film , just as good as Memento, just not as good as Batman Begins, although its a different Genre

Unbelievable.

You're actually suggesting that Batman Begins is a superior piece of cinema to Memento and The Prestige?

Batman Begins may have provided the DC franchise with a much needed reboot, but let's not throw this out of  perspective.  Begins had some pretty glaring script deficiencies (how many dialogue motifs can you fit into a single movie?) and was sloppily shot in many places.  The Prestige and Memento were, by contrast, utterly sublime.

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to indysid)
Post #: 124
RE: Very good Film - 29/12/2007 7:03:15 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysid

I enjoyed this film as it was directed by a director who knows how to handle these types of films.

Good Film , just as good as Memento, just not as good as Batman Begins, although its a different Genre

Unbelievable.

You're actually suggesting that Batman Begins is a superior piece of cinema to Memento and The Prestige?

Batman Begins may have provided the DC franchise with a much needed reboot, but let's not throw this out of  perspective.  Begins had some pretty glaring script deficiencies (how many dialogue motifs can you fit into a single movie?) and was sloppily shot in many places.  The Prestige and Memento were, by contrast, utterly sublime.

Well that's their opinion, not yours. I would not call Memento nor The Prestige, sublime - the former is highly competent but leans purely on its narrative device, and whilst The Prestige is a very good film with a superb performance from Bale, I would not grant it higher excellence than Begins. Where exactly in Batman Begins do you think the camerawork/cinematography is weak ?

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 125
RE: Very good Film - 29/12/2007 7:35:41 PM   
max314

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

Well that's their opinion, not yours.

Obviously.  And thankfully.

quote:

I would not call Memento nor The Prestige, sublime - the former is highly competent but leans purely on its narrative device...

They were sublime "by contrast" to Batman Begins, which - while entertaining and far superior to the Joel Schumacher franchise instalments - was littered with some rather apparent flaws.  And Memento is certainly one of the best noir films in recent memory.  To simply say "ah, it leans purely on its narrative device" is like saying "ah, but Psycho leans purely on its suspense device" or something equally absurd.  Yes, Memento implements a unique narrative device.  But the way in which it is so ingeniously implemented to weave traditional elements of dramatic tension, dramatic irony and reversals of fortune in a way that is so wonderfully original, thought provoking, and provides a unique way in which the audience can engage subjectively with the protagonist is something that simply must be applauded.

No, Memento is a far superior film than Batman BeginsIn my view, of course   But I believe with some conviction that this view is right.

quote:

...and whilst The Prestige is a very good film with a superb performance from Bale, I would not grant it higher excellence than Begins.

Oh, The Prestige had far more going for it than just the performance of the ever-dependable Christian Bale.

For one, I was surprised at how Hugh Jackman - an actor who's never really commanded my attention on screen - delivers what is perhaps his best performance to date.  He suddenly went from "ugh, Hugh Jackman" to "whoa...Hugh Jackman?!".  Stellar stuff.  And that's not even mentioning the absolutely fantastic script that left even source material author, Priest, utterly stunned and wondering why he hadn't thought of doing that.

Again, a far better film than Batman Begins.

quote:

Where exactly in Batman Begins do you think the camerawork/cinematography is weak ?

In summary, there are a few lovely wide shots in that movie, particularly at the beginning when we're in Bhutan and staring at those incredible  snow-covered mountains.  I could look at that miniature shot of the monastery for hours.

However, a lot of the camera set ups are extremely basic and uninspired.  There are glimpses of inspiration (a few shots of Gotham, etc), but they're far too short lived and don't pervade into all the aspects of all the scenes.  Christopher Nolan may have run screenings of Blade Runner to his crew, stating that he wanted his movie to look just like Ridley Scott's incredible visual tapestry of a fictional cityscape, but instead of "directing beauty shot-for-shot" as Scott had done, Nolan only directs the beauty for a handful of shots...before being reduced to visual mundanity once more.

And, of course, who can forget the appallingly executed action sequences.  Yes, Chris, we know you wanted Batman to be viewed subjectively from the criminal's POV.  And we can put up with that part of your 'vision' for about the first couple of fights against the ground-level crooks.  But when Batman begins fighting ex-colleagues and his old mentor by the end of the movie, surely we're entitled to actually SEE the action now.  Surely their POV isn't as obscured as that of the low level criminals earlier in the film.  What's the point in having Christian Bale memorise a 20 move fight if you're cutting half way into a movie, and of the moves that ARE filmed, the camera is moving faster than an erratic chicken.  I'm sorry, but I don't see a 'visionary' take on the action sequences here.  What I see are the symptoms of a cinematographer and/or editor and/or director who simply don't understand how (or simply lack the confidence)  to stage and cut a proper action sequence.

But while Begins has these flaws (among a number of others, some of which pertain to the script), it's still a solid superhero movie.  Unfortunately, I have to say that I am constantly baffled as to just how much praise it actually gets.  Some people seem to have this inexplicable view that it is somehow a near-perfect film.  Which it most certainly isn't.  In my view, of course...

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 126
Magic and Men To Enjoy! - 11/1/2008 9:29:26 AM   
joanna likes films

Unusual and Magical, The Prestige is a different animal to any other tricks and show films. The cast are peferct apart from Scarlett Johanasson with her bad English accent and her stupid pout, Sir Micheal Caine once agains does well. But the top two, Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, are brillant as well handsome. Hugh is charismtic then dark, Christian is cocky then charming. They both do very well until a shocking ending that shakes you to the bone. The magic is quite amazing apart from anything to do with animals but in all, the best film of magic and it's certainly charmed me!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 127
- 24/2/2008 1:55:30 AM   
Kat113

Bale and Nolan shold marry and continue to make beautiful movie babies together.

Post #: 128
Prestige all around - 26/3/2008 12:34:20 AM   
lynnshep

Loved this movie. One of my favorites from last year. Jackman is a revelation and Bale is astounding.

Post #: 129
Loved it (I think) - 26/3/2008 8:37:09 PM   
badsandwich

Finally got to watch this last night and have been thinking about it ever since. Jackman and Bale are superb and I personally enjoyed David Bowie as Tesla. Pointless casting of Scarlett Johansson as "totty", but hey she's got nice lips and a cracking pair of nawks. The Borden ending was not unexpected but still good, but Angiers ending just isn't sitting right with me! The whole message of the film is that there is always a trick, always a sleight of hand, but Angier uppance comes via something from science fiction. It's left me feeling conflicted, but I was distracted by Ms Johansson's costumes, so maybe I've missed the point entirely!!

Post #: 130
awesome thriller - 18/4/2008 12:29:09 AM   
mserpico88

WHAT A MOVIE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #: 131
- 25/4/2008 7:29:04 PM   
scottia2

Wow...just...wow...

Post #: 132
The Plausible Prestige - 26/5/2008 5:27:20 PM   
amanbhogal

The Prestige is an unforgettable grandeur to the show business world; had it not been released, then stoicism and vulgar incomprehensibility would plague this unprecedented and belligerent world we live in.

Christopher Nolan is undoubtedly a true genius; give him a pad and paper, and the final outcome is this.

Following the exceptional performance of Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale, the way Nolan projected the intense rivalry between these two magicians could only be summed down to one word: spectacular.

What also adds to the melodramatic motion picture is the consistency of the illusions and remarkable tricks that are played out between these two assertive and challenging men.

If there was any other way to ameliorate this magical masterpiece, it must be a misapprehended fallacy or perfidious inferiority that would obliterate the plausible and prominent, the piece de resistance film: The Prestige.

Post #: 133
love it. - 20/6/2008 8:12:06 PM   
em599

i love every aspect of this film that i used it in my media studies AS level exam this summer. I find that the use of Nolans familiar non-linear narrative structure is the most fascinating element of the film. Of course the actors, especially Bale, Jackman and Caine, have to be given credit considering they are able to bring the film alive, surprising in itself considering none of them have ever appeared in a period drama before. However, this was Nolans intention, so they were unfamiliar with the plot and the settings making their acting fresh and innovative. The themes included in the film make it even more interesting and intriguing as obsession and sacrafice are something audiences are familiar with. Nolans use of face level camera shots help to include the audience therefore allowing them to follow the plot and feel as though they are in the film. This then gives them an insight into the characters lives allowing them to be involved in the mystery and the maz they are living in, and giving them the oppotunity to dicover aspects and truths about the characters and their lives that even they are not aware of. This film attracts a large audience because it is one of those films that people cannot stop watching and will always need to watch to the end to discover the answers and meaning behind the whole film.

Post #: 134
Genius! - 22/7/2008 3:31:25 PM   
JohnPaul1996

I never seen a movie in my life that if you went out of the room for just a minute you might aswell stop watching it,I never thought there was such a movie,I"ve been proved wrong,this movie has countless amount of twists,a lot better than chris nolan"s previous movie(batman begins).I have to buy this movie.

Post #: 135
Genius! - 22/7/2008 3:31:58 PM   
JohnPaul1996

I never seen a movie in my life that if you went out of the room for just a minute you might aswell stop watching it,I never thought there was such a movie,I"ve been proved wrong,this movie has countless amount of twists,a lot better than chris nolan"s previous movie(batman begins).I have to buy this movie.

Post #: 136
The Prestige - 8/9/2008 7:34:13 PM   
Blue Ryan

Possiby one of the finest scripted films i have ever seen. The sheer brilliance of the acting, lot twists and as always Christopher Nolan proves himself as one of the greatest directors of our time. A truly brilliant film.

Post #: 137
Are you watching closely? - 12/9/2008 12:50:21 AM   
nc_jj

The Prestige is an eerie, creepy and dark, but beautiful movie. Oscar-worthy performances, stunning locations, perfect screenplay. This thriller has become, just like THAT, in a classic. Mesmerizing, dazzling, astonishing and riveting. Great Movie. Honestly, man, don't miss this. A masterpiece. Really worth watching. A must-see.

Are you watching closely?

Post #: 138
- 1/11/2008 9:34:45 PM   
ARmy2510

Incredibly genious. Almost a masterpiece!

Post #: 139
You'd better watch closely. - 24/11/2008 4:56:53 AM   
Haladflire65

An incredible film. The acting is spot-on, the twist was good, and the overall atmosphere was very well-generated. I watched it four times; it's still a treat to watch. Another must-see Nolan near-masterpiece.

Post #: 140
Wow. - 27/11/2008 7:57:43 PM   
sarah.hmmm.

Wow. I love this film. Currently, I regard it as my favourite, however, there is likely to be better. Its a fantastic film and the plot and ideas are great, but as I'm only 15, I haven't seen much in the line of "Great Films".
I'd love some recommendations, but still this film is AWESOME! =]

Post #: 141
Amazing! - 6/12/2008 2:49:22 PM   
SkullKassidy

Nolan shows he's got more up his sleeve than Batman with this twisted and clever tale of rivalling magicians.

The plot twists and turns (in a good) and the ending is genius. So good that watching this film 2nd time when you know what's going is a whole different experience to the first.

Nolan's ability to make the implausible plausible is used to great effect and his knack for non-linear narrative shines.

Of course the cast are all awesome. ..even Johansson who Empire don't seem to agree with.

Different to everything else that's out there right now. Watch closely, then watch again!

Post #: 142
Outstanding! - 24/12/2008 10:46:48 PM   
Coyleone

This film i regard as one of the best films ever made. Seriously. This is absolutely amazing. The first time you watch this film, the ending sends shivers up your spine, and is one of the best twists i have ever seen in any film. Nolan is a genius and this film is genius. 4 stars empire? this film is a Masterpiece and 5 stars, If there ever was a 5 star movie, this is it!

Post #: 143
- 16/1/2009 7:18:02 PM   
jessicaaa

just brilliant.

Post #: 144
- 4/1/2010 2:08:15 PM   
FanaticalAboutFilm

Cool movie!! (though I didn't quite get the end...)

Post #: 145
- 4/1/2010 2:08:18 PM   
FanaticalAboutFilm

Cool movie!! (though I didn't quite get the end...)

Post #: 146
Clever and Absorbing - 17/1/2010 12:47:14 PM   
Kieran94

I seriously doubt you can stop watching this film until its finished. Well-acted, intelligent story and a great twist at the end. Not as good as Memento, or the Batman films, but great stuff nonetheless.

Post #: 147
The pledge, the turn and the PRESTIGE! - 31/10/2010 9:18:29 AM   
The Great Danton

The only thing I can say is that Nolan is one of the best directors of the last decade!!

Post #: 148
WELCOME, to the greatest magic trick ever seen - 4/11/2010 10:23:11 PM   
Vincent04

Are you watching closely? A simple question. This may have little meaning at this point. Or you may be infering that you need to watch this closely because of the time-shifting, complicated storyline that makes up this forgotton classic. While this inference is true, if it were purely this I would not be writing my first review. No, you should watch closely for something more.

Very few films are truly original. Never has a film acted as a magic trick itself. Full of intrigue, and rivarlyr as well as strong characters, the story is propelled through to the climatic ending. While some have seen as it as overdone and over complicated, it cannot be anything but a work of genius.

Now if I'm doing this probably (which I'm probably not) you should be intrigued as to what this magic trick is. You may go and watch the film at some point and swear to yourself that you will find it before the end. But you won't. Because as Michael Caine (as good as ever!) tells us, "your not really looking, you don't really want to know". No. We are all taken in by the time shifting stroy, trying to keep up. We are encapsualted by the stunning performances, Bale especially shining here as the obesseive magician. And we are awing and the beauty of the 19th century London streets. We are not really looking.

I look back and think of what I missed and insist on watching it again and again. I am still in disbelief I was fooled.

In short, this is one of the best films of all time. Sadly underrated. Forgotten by many. But I have never seen a film that has actually succeeded in being a magic trick itself. The fact I went through this not mentioning Christopher Nolans name and Hugh Jackman's performace and Scarlot Johnason (on fire as of late), shows how mind blowing this film is.

A real magic trick. AMAZING.

Post #: 149
Are you watching closely? - 25/2/2011 1:11:51 PM   
neopol

Christopher Nolan is shaping up to be one of this century’s most successful directors, delivering hit after hit, quality upon quality. The only exception to that would be the tedious “Insomnia”, but at his best he is a movie making genius, at his worst, an efficient director.
“The Prestige” was produced between projects, those being numbers three and four in my all time top ten, “Batman Begins” and “The Dark Knight”. He claimed that he was making a small movie to tide him over but ended up with an all start blockbuster, and whist touching of  a subject which had been dealt with before, I don’t recall it ever having being done quite like this.
And that is the magic of  a top director; That is to give the audience what they want but not on their terms, not quite what they are expecting. This film follows the obsession of two 19th century magicians, one of whom, Christian Bale, arrives at the conclusion that it takes total commitment to achieve the perfect trick, whilst Hugh Jackman takes a little longer to see that obsession will lead him down the same path.
This is a dark, Gothic thriller, lifting the lid of the magic of the day, whilst in true Nolan fashion delving deeper into the psyche of the protagonists, and the destructive nature of their respective obsessive battles, and those it hurts and destroys along the way.
But more than this, the film its self is effectively a mirror of the plot, told and presented as one long trick, with deception, red herrings and ultimately, eponymous the prestige. The only real problem I have with this film is that it thinks that it has everything so well wrapped up, that we, the audience, can’t see the twists coming, which I felt a little insulted by as they were almost telegraphed.
But, this was a methodically well presented film, with a clear time and excellent performances throughout. Highly recommended.

< Message edited by neopol -- 25/2/2011 1:12:56 PM >

Visit my movie blog, nEoFILM @ http://neofilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: RE: Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI