Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Star Wars T.V Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Star Wars T.V Series Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Star Wars T.V Series - 4/11/2005 1:36:03 AM   
Snake Pliskin

Does anyone else think that perhaps the lack of budget due to it being a show with lots more hours than a movie, will allow it to be more character driven, and have better stories and not just rely on CGI to pull its weight???

I don't no about you guys, but im quite looking forward to see how this pans out. Rick Macullum is a smart man and not just a Lucas ' YES ' man and i believe he knows what works and what doesn't.

If done right i think this could well be better then the prequel movies. ( except maybe Sith )

Edit: I've just changed the title. Move along, move long....

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 18/5/2007 9:19:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 15/3/2006 4:03:36 PM   
Timon

Well the latest is that the Star Wars TV Series will will run to at least 100 episodes, according to producer Rick McCallum.

"Hopefully if we can make it work and everybody's excited and watches it we will keep on going," said McCallum.
The series will be set between episodes three and four of the film saga.
It would cover the 20 years in the life of Luke Skywalker growing up that remains a mystery to most film-goers.
McCallum said there would be "a whole bunch of new characters" and the series would be "much more dramatic and darker".

That's not going to happen probably for another year and a half while we develop scripts and everything else. But it's fantastic; we've got some incredible writers. It's going to be much darker, much more character-based, and I think it's going to be everything the fans always wanted the prequels to be. They'll be one-hour episode. It takes place between Episodes III and IV. It's going to be all-new characters, maybe a few bounty hunters in there to start the series off".

Also he added that it was unlikely any of the stars of the movies would be involved in the TV series.

This could either be really good or complete crap. Personally i hope it shows the tyranny of the Empire and why certain races and people join and form the Rebellion. So, for example, we could see the killing of Wedge Antilies family and his evolution, Admiral Ackbar when he was a slave to Moff Tarkin and then his liberation and rise to Rebel leader, Chewbacca being released by a young, up and coming, Imperial officer (Solo) and the efforts made by Organa and the Republic council to stem the Empire's influence.

< Message edited by Timon -- 15/3/2006 4:06:34 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 2
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 20/3/2006 1:35:28 PM   
hammerhead

I think the Star Wars series is going to turn into a Firefly-esque rip-off which may be good, maybe crap or just maybe an average quality series. one thing is for certain George Lucas will maintain some level of control which will probably hinder the series. I know there's going to be all new writers, directors and other creative types but at the end of the day Lucas is giving the final okay.

The biggest problem I can see is the narrow parameters of being set between revenge of the Sith and a new hope. Under these constraints even if we have a Jedi amongst the leading cast we can't have a Sith to oppose him/her. As established in the prequels there can only be two, a master and an apprentice. And to be honest I can't see Darth Vader making many appearances over a five-year run.

I think they should have set the series after return Of the Jedi as there wouldn't be any restrictions. New lore could be created. The Sith could exist in larger numbers and by creating new Sith characters this could creatively expand the horizons of the show. The possibilities could be endless rather than limited.

Apparently this series isn't going to happen until 2008 (at the earliest) which is some way off.

Eccentric man, I've seen the young chronicles of Indiana Jones or whatever it is called. It is a fairly solid series but nowhere near as great as you made it sound. I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anything like that show with emerging or already famous British talent. Expect young American/Canadian actors or depending where it's been filmed Australian talent.

I read somebody's suggestion above of having a different Jedi every season. I think this would be detrimental to the show having a leading character killed off every year.

< Message edited by hammerhead -- 20/3/2006 1:36:53 PM >

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 20/3/2006 4:46:06 PM   
Vapona

quote:

<snip>...It would cover the 20 years in the life of Luke Skywalker growing up that remains a mystery to most film-goers...<snip>

OMG - i just had a vision of "the OC" meets SW - and it was not pretty...not pretty at all....
quote:

<snip>...I think they should have set the series after return Of the Jedi as there wouldn't be any restrictions. New lore could be created. The Sith could exist in larger numbers and by creating new Sith characters this could creatively expand the horizons of the show. The possibilities could be endless rather than limited...<snip>

there is already a huge canon of lore in literally dozens of "official" novels and comics...

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 4
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 20/3/2006 5:58:30 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vapona

quote:

<snip>...It would cover the 20 years in the life of Luke Skywalker growing up that remains a mystery to most film-goers...<snip>

OMG - i just had a vision of "the OC" meets SW - and it was not pretty...not pretty at all....
quote:

<snip>...I think they should have set the series after return Of the Jedi as there wouldn't be any restrictions. New lore could be created. The Sith could exist in larger numbers and by creating new Sith characters this could creatively expand the horizons of the show. The possibilities could be endless rather than limited...<snip>

there is already a huge canon of lore in literally dozens of "official" novels and comics...

really???

I'm quite surprised about that .
surely books and comics don't count? and if a sequel trilogy was to go ahead no doubt they would ignore most of what has happened in these books/comics, right?

< Message edited by hammerhead -- 20/3/2006 6:01:00 PM >

I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now all I can ask is, "who was he?" And "who was she?" And "what was the point? "

(in reply to Vapona)
Post #: 5
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 21/3/2006 1:19:09 PM   
Captain Trips

It's probably the best possible thing for the TV series that the main bad guy from Star Wars is a guy in full costume and mask. Vader will obviously be the villian in the TV series, which can only be a good thing. The main problem I have would be if the TV series covered the forming of the rebellion, as this for me would mean a Jedi-free TV show.

Got great hopes for it though.

Oh, and about it been a Firefly rip off? Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Firefly and Serenity fan, but Firefly could not be more detatched from traditional science fiction if it tried. Firefly is a frontier adventure that happens to be set in space. There aren't even any aliens in the show!

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 6
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 21/3/2006 6:24:29 PM   
MaverickUk666

Yeah I think it will be more character driven, I remember Lucas saying that as well. This will be a definate download! Still I will Sky+ it when it's on in the UK as well which I will also do with Lost.

(in reply to Captain Trips)
Post #: 7
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 22/3/2006 10:40:35 AM   
Monkeyshaver

I just wish Lucas would do something not related to blinking S### W###

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to MaverickUk666)
Post #: 8
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 22/3/2006 12:44:59 PM   
Vapona

quote:

ORIGINAL: hammerhead

<snip>...

really???

surely books and comics don't count? and if a sequel trilogy was to go ahead no doubt they would ignore most of what has happened in these books/comics, right?

IIRC lucasarts have been quite strict about maintaining a coherent background throughout the entire SW universe - i believe it's the main reason that KOTOR (computer game) was set so far in "the past"

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 9
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 22/3/2006 2:01:10 PM   
Skiba

I would be very surprised if Vader isn't the main bad guy...if it's set in between Sith and A New Hope he'll have to be in it

I can see this being pretty good especially for the older generation who grew up on the original films

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Vapona)
Post #: 10
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 22/3/2006 11:52:25 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

Vader doesnt need to be in it at all! Only the newly formed Empire need appear from time to time, if at all! Stormtroopers making their presence known, that kind of thing!
BUT if this is really about Luke's formative years on tattooine then its gonna make for a pretty dull 100 episodes.
Whats he gonna do?
Hang out at Tosche Station with Biggs and Cammy?
Bullseye Wamprats in his T-16?
Fly through Beggars Canyon every episode?
Great! That'll keep us interested for 5 years George!
One of the earlier ideas of it following various Bounty Hunters was better, though not great.
There is so much material (books, graphics, etc) that cover post-Sith, Pre-Hope as well as other 'gaps', that this series seems unnecessary!

Lucas should let it go, Star Wars is done, the story is told, we dont need any more 'history'!

Although I wouldnt mind seeing some of the other written material make it to screen - stuff like Shadows Of The Empire, Jedi Academy Trilogy, Thrawn Trilogy etc. We need a bit of Mara Jade on screen!

< Message edited by Cabal aka Boone -- 22/3/2006 11:53:44 PM >

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 – June 15, 2008

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 11
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 23/3/2006 12:46:47 AM   
furrybastard

Lucas doesn't have much input into the show. He'll probably read the scripts and make comments but won't have any real control other than "this screws up continuity", kind of like how the Star Wars comics and books were dealt with.

Hopefully we'll get a Jar Jar Binks episode. One last fuck you to the fanboys who try to pin all the prequels' faults on him.

I think this could be really interesting. Each season could be from a different time period so season 1 might take place between Episodes III and IV, and then season 2 takes place before Episode 1 or something like that.

Looking forward to it.

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 12
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 23/3/2006 10:10:39 AM   
Monkeyshaver

On one hand Lucas says he won't make any more films because the story has been told (the saga of Anakin) but now wants to milk the Star Wars universe for every last drop of cash with a telly show. But then, that's Lucas all over really, what with Indy 4 on the way.
Once upon a time Lucas was an innovative film maker, now he's just the CEO of a franchise.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 13
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 23/3/2006 11:14:38 AM   
Ripper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vapona

quote:

quote:

really???

And the chances of/desire for a third trilogy are ...

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 14
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 23/3/2006 2:27:34 PM   
hammerhead

I don't know why everyone is expecting Darth Vader to be the leading bad guy. I'm fairly certain that all the information that's been released has said that there won't be any main characters from the films starring in the series. I believe we may see some more of the minor characters from films and we may see an occasional guest star appearance of some of the characters from the films. Although almost certainly not by the actors from films.

I think they mentioned it will be set during luke's formative years but it's very unlikely that we would see much of luke beyond an episode or two over the course of five years... Assuming it lasts that long and doesn't get cancelled.

Captain trips, I mentioned a Firefly rip-off because more likely the series will be set a board a cargo/smuggling ship possibly with a similar group of characters and overall storylines to Firefly. After all the Firefly characters were trying to avoid the Alliance which were constantly expanding further and further into space imposing their laws as they go. This is exactly what we are going to see with the Empire expanding and imposing its laws on star system after star system. Remember places like Tatoine are like the frontier out of reach of the Empire/the Republic. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of that sort of thing. I'll be very surprised if we don't see a captain like Malcolm Reynolds amongst the main crew.

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 15
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 23/3/2006 2:38:56 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

Captain trips, I mentioned a Firefly rip-off because more likely the series will be set a board a cargo/smuggling ship possibly with a similar group of characters and overall storylines to Firefly. After all the Firefly characters were trying to avoid the Alliance which were constantly expanding further and further into space imposing their laws as they go. This is exactly what we are going to see with the Empire expanding and imposing its laws on star system after star system. Remember places like Tatoine are like the frontier out of reach of the Empire/the Republic. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of that sort of thing. I'll be very surprised if we don't see a captain like Malcolm Reynolds amongst the main crew.

How can you rip-off a rip-off?!

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 16
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 24/3/2006 3:55:13 PM   
hammerhead

how is Firefly a rip-off?

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 17
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 25/3/2006 5:33:05 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

quote:

Motely Crew aboard a spacecraft avoiding trouble/detection/confrontation?
Jesus, how many times have we seen that??

Im sure it has its original elements (I havent watched it, I wouldnt know - but to be honest all those 90's/early 2000's space series all look the same to me! Farscape, Lexx, Andromeda, Firefly, etc etc, blah blah, blah.....) but it is a variation on a theme, and a well worn theme at that!
Lucas is aware of these themes and will probably incorparate them somewhere along the line, but I doubt the whole 100 episodes will be like it.

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 – June 15, 2008

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 18
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 25/3/2006 8:55:22 PM   
councilskivvy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabal aka Boone

quote:

Im sure it has its original elements (I havent watched it, I wouldnt know - but to be honest all those 90's/early 2000's space series all look the same to me! Farscape, Lexx, Andromeda, Firefly, etc etc, blah blah, blah.....) but it is a variation on a theme, and a well worn theme at that!
Lucas is aware of these themes and will probably incorparate them somewhere along the line, but I doubt the whole 100 episodes will be like it.

If you haven't seen Firefly or Serenity, then how can you compare it to this. n Serenity/Firefly, Mal is a capt who cares deeply about all his friends and crew, but try's to show he deoesn't. In Star Wars Lucas usually always did the other way round, Han, Lando always looked out for themselves first then started to care about others. Besides I believ this series will focus more on the smaller characters from the Mos Eisley Cantina, and Boba Fett.

"I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal"

Eddie Guerrero 1967 - 2005
Stealing Life, Cheating Death
VIVA LA RAZA!!!

Post #: 19
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 26/3/2006 9:49:21 AM   
jor el180

Be it a rip-off or not that hasn't stopped people watching fire-fly, it looked good to me (haven'twatched the first season yet), so the same can be said for the star wars series. It may have the same general setting as all the others, but completely diffrent drama, and twist.

(in reply to councilskivvy)
Post #: 20
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 26/3/2006 11:55:21 PM   
councilskivvy

well said that man!!!!

"I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal"

Eddie Guerrero 1967 - 2005
Stealing Life, Cheating Death
VIVA LA RAZA!!!

(in reply to jor el180)
Post #: 21
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 28/3/2006 2:19:40 PM   
hammerhead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabal aka Boone

quote:

If they all look the same then there really is no hope for you. By actually watching these programmes you know the good from the bad, the great from the awful, and everything else between.

Post #: 22
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 28/3/2006 2:34:33 PM   
Artoo02

I love Firefly, but saying this could be a rip off of it is a little um.. "Hi-larious" (to quote one Jayne Cobb). A lot of Firefly's humour comes from silly (but funny) twists on clichés that rely upon the familiar feel of the situations the characters (who are very archetypal, as in Star Wars) find themselves in. Star Wars is not exactly wholly original in these elements either, it's part of what makes both of them enjoyable though, recalling the past in a futuristic setting (yes, SW is a long time ago..., but I said futuristic, not future).

I think the TV series could be great, as someone who loved the prequel trilogy almost as much as the original trilogy (of films, natch) I don't have too many worries. The time between Episodes III and IV is ample for numerous stories and events to take place, and I think it's very exciting. I can't wait.

"Let us go forth together in search of the treasure of Lapis Lazuli! Have no fear. Space is deformed on the night of the new moon."
----
"Star Wars is Forever, Roger. And you can Suck it."

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 23
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 31/3/2006 2:31:02 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

Its a yank reimagining of Blake's 7 with a few star wars elements carbon copied for good measure.

(in reply to hammerhead)
Post #: 24
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 18/8/2006 1:38:35 PM   
punchdrunk

Any updates on this show? shots of production?

Post #: 25
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 18/8/2006 4:16:11 PM   
danbo1138

hopefully it will concentrate on the emerging rebellion and the empires efforts to quash it.i bet we see dash rendar,as the sort of lead good guy,cameos by boba fett and the emperor(i bet for a seson finale,go out with a bang)bounty hunters gunning for the remaining jedi,the occasional vader jedi duel,not a starwars gig without one.all sorts of cool stuff could happen!!i've always imagined a daring raid by the rebellion comandos,led by dash rendar and perhaps the odd jedi or two into an empire base to steal all the x-wings.i'll bet my last dollar the the final episodes will have the plot revolve around the stealing of the famous death star plans leading nicely into a new hope.how cool would that be?????

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 26
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 19/8/2006 6:19:30 PM   
Ripper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

quote:

Its a yank reimagining of Blake's 7 with a few star wars elements carbon copied for good measure.

Because Blakes 7 was the first instance of science fiction ever wasnt it.

I think we can all agree, history is in the past

- George Dubya Bush

Some say he only knows two things about ducks .... and both of them are wrong

Post #: 27
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 8/10/2006 5:02:35 PM   
danbo1138

do we have any news folks,on the live action or the cg toon??

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Ripper)
Post #: 28
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 9/2/2007 1:39:34 PM   
goldleader

Just seen this on comingsoon.net and am now confussed as to what is been made.  I thought they were making a live action tv series and more Clone Wars cartoons.  But this article says the tv series will be animated.  So what is going on?

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 29
RE: Star Wars T.V. Series - 9/2/2007 2:28:40 PM   
Wedge

There will be an CGI animated show set during the Clone Wars AND a live action series set between episodes III and IV.  The animated series will be out before the live action series.  I don't think they've even started production on the latter... 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to goldleader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Star Wars T.V Series Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI