Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 21/10/2006 8:55:12 AM   
travel_crazy

Anyone else really miss this fantastic show? The final series ended so perfectly (nothing fictional has ever made me cry so much...) but I do really miss all the characters I'd grown to love.

Show the Fisher love...

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (6/10)
Inception (10/10)
Shutter Island (8/10)
An American Werewolf in London (8/10)
District 9 (9/10)
Post #: 1
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 21/10/2006 12:02:40 PM   
kingalan

I absolutely adore Six Feet Under. It was easily one of the best written, emotionally effective shows of all time and I would agree, nothing has ever gotten to me like that final episode.

Coincidentally, I've just  begun on thursday, watching them from the beginning again and am just up to episode six. Watching them again you see how the first season plays it more for laughs than the later ones.

The great thing about the show was the sheer realism. From the grieving process to the flaws in human nature, everthing was handled autentically spot-on. No character was absolutey perfect for us to root for; at some point during it's five years, every one of them did something to make you dislike them, but they were real.

Surely Six Feet Under will make the history books as one of the greatest TV shows ever made.

(in reply to travel_crazy)
Post #: 2
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 21/10/2006 3:44:25 PM   
travel_crazy

Yes, I couldn't have put it better myself. And I definitely know what you mean about the creators playing it more 'for laughs' in the earlier series'. Either way, it worked perfectly.

I think one of the reasons the final series upset me so much was because I'd invested so much into these characters and it almost felt like I was personally affected by every single move they made. The final montage was truly heartbreaking because of this. It was like saying goodbye to my own family lol

Anyway, out of curiosity, who was your favourite character/s? I think, partly because of Frances Conroy's AMAZING peformance, I would have to say Ruth Fisher.

Inception (10/10)
Shutter Island (8/10)
District 9 (9/10)

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 3
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 21/10/2006 3:59:21 PM   
kingalan

Conroy was phenomonal but I also loved Claire and Nate (shit and David and Federico it's too hard).

SPOILERS

When Nate died and we had to go through the last few episodes without him it kind of felt like WE were part of the mourning process with the family. We had grown to really KNOW him for his strengths and weaknesses and it was devastating when he died.

Post #: 4
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 22/10/2006 11:04:22 AM   
King_Wah

I lost interest by seson four how did he die ?

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 5
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 22/10/2006 6:01:54 PM   
felix sore foot

One of the few shows where I felt a sense of genuine loss at the end. Felt the same when Northern Exposure finally bit the dust.

nothing worth knowing can be understood with the mind

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 6
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 23/10/2006 12:20:45 AM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

I lost interest by seson four how did he die ?

His AVM finally caught up with him and he had a brain anyuerism (sp?). Very, very sad.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 7
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 23/10/2006 9:26:41 PM   
rikkie

The finest end to a show in the history of TV ever, bar none and make no mistake. The last five minutes had me crying buckets like a complete wuss. I truly felt bereft like someone had died when the show ended.  That may sound completely OTT, but I loved Six Feet Under.  It had a couple of low points (gay paintball anyone?), but when it soared, boy did it fly high.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

Post #: 8
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! - 24/10/2006 12:01:55 AM   
beebs_

quote:

The last five minutes had me crying buckets like a complete wuss.

I know! Actually a few bits in the last few episodes had me all teary-eyed.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 9
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 24/10/2006 5:35:35 AM   
nevergreen

quote:

ORIGINAL: beebs_

quote:

The last five minutes had me crying buckets like a complete wuss.

I know! Actually a few bits in the last few episodes had me all teary-eyed.

Strangely, I just felt emotionally floored by those last few moments.  The next day I broke into tears!

As for favorite characters, the scenes with Patricia Clarkson and Kathy Bates were a personal highlight.  Out of the main cast it would have to be Ruth.  I absolutely love the way they are all so flawed.  Each and everyone of them gives us plenty of reason to dislike them.

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

“I’m bored. Episode 1 bored.”

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 10
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 1:51:55 PM   
kingalan

This thing needs a bump and what better way to do than to tell you that I have just (on wednesday) finished a full five-season run-through. My first, in fact, since following it for five years on television.

I feel I have to vent just how much it all affected me all over again. It's not over-the-top or melodramatic to say that I (and we as fans I'm sure) felt like these characters were a part of us. Through a combination of the  phenomenol performances (I defy somebody to find ONE single performer in the entire series who doesn't deserve to be up there with the greats), the masterful characterisation and superb writing, the characters were people we were touched by. As someone said in an earlier post, everything they did or said was effective to the point were, I'd find myself filling up at fleeting moments/actions that I would never normally be  moved by in any other TV show.

The genius of the show was everything was underplayed. There were no real OTT storylines (apart from a few of the big incidents which were given their justifiable after-effects on the characters); we just kind of 'hung out' with this family, watching them secretly and judging their decisions and actions. Someone was always acting against our own moral code so during any given season, there was usually someone we didn't agree with.

And of course, THAT final episode. Fuck me, I have never blubbed so much because of a TV show or film. The most I usually get is a light 'eye-moistening' but with this, we're talking full-on, tears down the cheeks, broken mess of human-being by the end. Words can't describe the sheer genius of that last sequence except to say that I consider myself a fanboy regarding lots of Tv and movies and the Six Feet Under finale is the best piece of drama (TV and cinema) I have ever seen in my life.

It stays with you for days, so much so that even now (four days after finishing my Six Feet-athon) I have just downloaded Sia's 'Breathe me' (the track which plays over the end montage) and practically broke down again...

The Simpsons will always take the top-spot and hasn't budged since the mid-90's so take that as a given. But second place for best TV show of all time is the sublime Six Feet Under.

For the sake of keeping this thread going for a while; what were peoples (the 8 or so people who actually watched the show on these boards) most memorable opening deaths from the show? Be that comical, moving or just plain clever...

< Message edited by kingalan -- 11/11/2006 1:54:36 PM >

(in reply to nevergreen)
Post #: 11
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 1:58:53 PM   
beebs_

Well I did like the one when the cougar jumped the guy during S5. Maybe I just remember that because I've just watched the season.

Let the Madness Continue!!!!!
"Paramasturbatory"?
First of all: shut the fuck up, Lois. Smallville recap TWoP

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 12
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 2:13:23 PM   
kingalan

Yeah, even when I was expecting it, I still shat my pants.

I always found the one from Season 4, where the couple are at the hospital and the woman is getting checked for cancer, really moving.

The doctors asking her why she didn't come sooner and she was clearly just scared. He tells her they'll do some tests and hope for the best. She asks what the worst case scenario is and he replies "Let's just do the tests first, and hope for the best....". He leaves the room and the white epitaph just appears with her name and life-span on. It's so real and tragic it always got to me.

(in reply to beebs_)
Post #: 13
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 2:26:28 PM   
Zatoichi

Hmm, favourite death?

I like the one where this fat annoying guy's blabbing on and on at the breakfast table until his wife kills him with the pan she's making his bacon with.

I still haven't seen seasons 4 or 5 of this fantastic show. But both my birthday and Christmas are near...

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 11/11/2006 2:27:39 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 14
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 2:32:14 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

Hmm, favourite death?

I like the one where this fat annoying guy's blabbing on and on at the breakfast table until his wife kills him with the pan she's making his bacon with.

I still haven't seen seasons 4 or 5 of this fantastic show. But both my birthday and Christmas are near...

Oh man, are you in for a treat....

Haven't you read all these spoilers now though??

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 15
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 2:53:43 PM   
furrybastard

I think the one with the baby in the crib, looking up at its parents and the musical toy is the most effective 'death' they did in Six Feet Under. Just a very simple, sad scene.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 16
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 3:04:22 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

I think the one with the baby in the crib, looking up at its parents and the musical toy is the most effective 'death' they did in Six Feet Under. Just a very simple, sad scene.

Yeah, that was quite early on and I think it was the moment Six Feet Under really showed how ground-breaking it was and intended to be.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 17
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/11/2006 5:16:14 PM   
Zatoichi

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zatoichi

Hmm, favourite death?

Oh man, are you in for a treat....

Haven't you read all these spoilers now though??

There was a lot I knew before I even started watching the show (my mum and brother were big fans before me) but I have still avoided reading everything in this thread.

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

That was great 'cause the episode ends with the birth of Federico's baby.

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 11/11/2006 5:17:31 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 18
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 17/11/2006 5:18:30 PM   
kingalan

Not sure whether or not this should be in DvD Discussion but check out this bad-boy:

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Feet-Under-Complete-Gift/dp/B000HEVZBW

Already on order for me for xmas. I have all of the individual sets but bollocks to it, that's just too beautiful.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 19
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 19/11/2006 11:48:23 PM   
travel_crazy

If only I could win the lottery :p

Inception (10/10)
Shutter Island (8/10)
District 9 (9/10)

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 20
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 29/11/2006 5:03:37 PM   
IMFienne

I had heard of the show but have never seen a single episode of it.  Then a friend whose husband
is a TV and film fanatic (they have a huge DVD collection) lent me season 1 and told me
it would be something I love.  I am now hooked and have just 1 disc left to watch!  Luckily my friend
have all the seasons and we swap DVDs so I should get to see all the seasons for free.  I can't pick a
favourite character either, I love them all. 

I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster and drank pina coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. *That* was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over...

Post #: 21
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 18/12/2006 11:03:05 PM   
HIM

My favourite character was David. I loved how he started out so pent up and stiff, but gradually came out and loosend up as he accepted himself for who he was. His relationship with Keith was great and actually reminds me a lot of my relationship with my girlfriend. I'm the 'Keith' (except white) and she's the 'David' (except female). Nate was also a great character and I was shocked when he died. I knew he'd die but from what I'd heard, I thought it would be in the season finalé. So when it cut to him dead in the hospital bed with the 'beeeeeeeeeep' of the machine I was literally knocked for six (no pun intended). The next episode was gut wrenchingly hard to watch. Especially seeing his corpse being cleaned by David.

That's another thing I loved about the show. It never shyed away from anything; be it death, swearing (quite a few 'cunts') or themes (gay sex, adultary, incest etc...) It al addede to the realism of the show. To be honest it was flaweless. Even down the acting of the smallest bit part character. An absolutely perfectly made tv show.

Does anyone know what Alan Ball is up to these days?

[Edit] Just re-reading that and it's a bit misleading. I'd kind of figured that Nate would die, but didn't actually know for sure. I had a sneaking suspicion it might be David as well. My mate had watched it on DVD and said the ending would make me cry unless I had a stone heart, so I figured that a major character would die and that it would be Nate. So when he actually died four episodes from the end I was gobsmacked.

< Message edited by HIM -- 18/12/2006 11:42:49 PM >

(in reply to IMFienne)
Post #: 22
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 18/12/2006 11:15:47 PM   
furrybastard

He's currently in post-production on a film that is currently untitled (Click Here) and a new television series about vampires called True Blood (Click Here), apparently airing in Fall 2007 on HBO.

"The series follows Sookie Stackhouse, a barmaid living in Louisianna that can read people's minds, and how her life is turned upside down when the Vampire Bill, walks into her place of employment two years after vampires 'came out of the coffin' on national television."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 23
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 18/12/2006 11:21:19 PM   
Zatoichi

That sounds brilliant.

Post #: 24
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 18/12/2006 11:25:36 PM   
King_Wah

My favourite line in it was early on when Illeana Douglas (a much underrated actress) appeared in an episode and she's quite brassy and straight talking and she refers to David's sexuality and he says 'What makes you think I'm gay ?' and she replies 'Oh Please. Let's not play that game !' But the way she said it was so cool.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

Post #: 25
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 18/12/2006 11:52:06 PM   
Zatoichi

My favourite line is of David describing the first time he saw Keith and the way he locked his car like "Fuck you, car, you're locked!"

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 26
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 20/12/2006 3:02:11 PM   
pixie

I have finally watched the last episode of this a few days ago - what a way to end it!!  The montage at the end was such a great idea. 

I have to say though that I did much prefer the earlier series when it was a bit more lighthearted,  I found series 4 and 5 pretty hard going a lot of the time. 

My favourite death has got to be the one where all those blow up dummies get loose and start floating into the air and that women thinks they are all angels and ends up running into the road and getting squished by a car

Member of COBW

Wash: "Psychic, though? That sounds like something out of science fiction."

Zoe: "We live in a space ship, dear."

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 27
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 11/1/2007 3:13:36 AM   
Zatoichi

Well, I'm working my way through the COMPLETE box-set, and I just watched the Season 2 finale which I've never seen before (due to a badly-scratched disc) and it was a stunning way to end the series. That scene where Claire imagines herself auditioning like in "Footlose" was fantastic, especially when she broke her leg off! And that silence over the end credits was absolute perfection.

(in reply to pixie)
Post #: 28
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 13/5/2007 6:28:16 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

I've never seen this but am tempted to get into it. I'll watch the Pilot anyway...

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 29
RE: 'Six Feet Under' appreciation thread! - 13/5/2007 6:38:19 PM   
Zatoichi

Go for it, Erlenmeyer. Besides The X-Files, it's my favourite show ever.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> 'Six Feet Under' appeciation thread! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI