Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chelsea Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  210 211 [212] 213 214   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 3:55:24 PM   
directorscut

It's not surprising though. Managers know they need instant success at Chelsea and therefore don't bother trying to develop the youth, and the one manager that did got the sack after a couple of months.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 6331
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 3:56:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I'd go as far in saying that its fairly useless of Chelsea having a youth set-up IF Ambro keeps going down this line of bringing in top expensive players and having the Manager change every so often.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 6332
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:03:06 PM   
Skiba

Romeu has been injured for nearly the whole season...he played a fair bit the season before though and I can see him playing a lot next season. Moses had about odd 40 games this season and he was at the ACN. Marin WAS highly rated a few seasons before he came here and he was signed right at the beginning of the summer before Hazard, Moses so I think his chance went after they arrived. He hasn't had a fair crack but when he has played he has looked very ordinary.

But yep, the youth policy, or lack of, has not been good. You're right though. We've bought up a lot of players who aren't quite as good (yet) as the ones who are already here. There's no point Courtois, de Bruynel, Lukaku just sitting on the bench so they may as well play elsewhere. They're just seen as a risk.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose, if/when he comes, calls everyone back for pre-season to look at everyone. He did that the first time he arrived when we'd just bought Cech despite having an in-form Cudicini at the time. He said he hadn't decided who is No.1 was going to be and they'd both be in with a shout. Carlo had a shocking pre-season and so it went to Cech!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 6333
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:16:56 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Romeu has been injured for nearly the whole season...he played a fair bit the season before though and I can see him playing a lot next season. Moses had about odd 40 games this season and he was at the ACN. Marin WAS highly rated a few seasons before he came here and he was signed right at the beginning of the summer before Hazard, Moses so I think his chance went after they arrived. He hasn't had a fair crack but when he has played he has looked very ordinary.

But yep, the youth policy, or lack of, has not been good. You're right though. We've bought up a lot of players who aren't quite as good (yet) as the ones who are already here. There's no point Courtois, de Bruynel, Lukaku just sitting on the bench so they may as well play elsewhere. They're just seen as a risk.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose, if/when he comes, calls everyone back for pre-season to look at everyone. He did that the first time he arrived when we'd just bought Cech despite having an in-form Cudicini at the time. He said he hadn't decided who is No.1 was going to be and they'd both be in with a shout. Carlo had a shocking pre-season and so it went to Cech!

There in lies the problem.Chelsea,unlike Arsenal,Manchester United and occasionally Liverpool,are to concerned in making a risky move.
Chelsea (and I can see this happening to City) may bring in the bigger names but at the very least the clubs mentioned above have a Youth Systems/set-up which you know will be used in its full manner.
I mean what happened to Josh McEachran and Kakuta?

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6334
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:23:04 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

There in lies the problem.Chelsea,unlike Arsenal,Manchester United and occasionally Liverpool,are to concerned in making a risky move.
Chelsea (and I can see this happening to City) may bring in the bigger names but at the very least the clubs mentioned above have a Youth Systems/set-up which you know will be used in its full manner.

And how far has that got Arsenal and Liverpool?

Kakuta had a little run in the team a few years ago, not long after all the fuss about signing him. He looked okay in bits but hasn't managed to hold down a regular place since going all over on loan. McEachran I thought was going to play more and he played a lot for Boro last season but hardly set the Championship alight.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 6335
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:26:29 PM   
impqueen

They werenít / arenít good enough for the first team? To be fair our Youth System sucks but it hasnít had a massive effect on our successes. Sure itís incredibly frustrating and shitty but this is a Club owned by a man who as we all know has very little time for failure/development you honestly think heís going to wait three/four years for an end product? Some of you seem surprised by this. Iíd love to see Kevin De Bruyne, Thibaut Courtois, Romelu Lukaku, Josh McEachran, Sam Hutchinson, Lucas Piazůn, Patrick van Aanholt, Thorgan Hazard and Nathaniel Chalobah play for Chelsea long term or at all but itíll probably never happen.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6336
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:38:56 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

Kakuta had a little run in the team a few years ago, not long after all the fuss about signing him. He looked okay in bits but hasn't managed to hold down a regular place since going all over on loan. McEachran I thought was going to play more and he played a lot for Boro last season but hardly set the Championship alight.

Well for a start Liverpool and Arsenal dont have a gun-ho billionaire owner,but even if they did I'm still pretty certain both clubs would have stuck to there Youth producing roots because its in there set-up and history,especially with Wenger.
Its done rather well for United though hasn't it.Producing good players while winning,and its a method that Barca enjoy too,something of which Ambromovich is known to be envious of.If only he had the same patience with Managers who wanted to incorporate Club produced youngsters into the Chelsea sqaud.

The Kakuta situation sounds like that of a spoilt player to be fair.When breaking into the Chelsea sqaud I heard a few rumbling from himself that he expects to be involved in first team affairs sooner rather than later.

And by all accounts McEachran has had a good spell at Boro,maybe he hasnt been playing like a world beater but he's getting vital league experience.Will he be given a chance at Chelsea to prove he can step up ?,probably not.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 31/5/2013 4:41:42 PM >

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6337
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 4:43:18 PM   
Skiba

de Bryune no...he's not going to play ahead of Mata or Hazard. Lukaku would've got ahead of Torres for sure! Courtois will be No .1 (assuming we don't sell him) but I think Cech has still got a fair few years.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 6338
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 5:00:57 PM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well for a start Liverpool and Arsenal dont have a gun-ho billionaire owner,but even if they did I'm still pretty certain both clubs would have stuck to there Youth producing roots because its in there set-up and history,especially with Wenger.
Its done rather well for United though hasn't it.Producing good players while winning,and its a method that Barca enjoy too,something of which Ambromovich is known to be envious of.If only he had the same patience with Managers who wanted to incorporate Club produced youngsters into the Chelsea sqaud.

The Kakuta situation sounds like that of a spoilt player to be fair.When breaking into the Chelsea sqaud I heard a few rumbling from himself that he expects to be involved in first team affairs sooner rather than later.

And by all accounts McEachran has had a good spell at Boro,maybe he hasnt been playing like a world beater but he's getting vital league experience.Will he be given a chance at Chelsea to prove he can step up ?,probably not.

Arsenal do have a billionaire with more, considerably more, money that Roman on the board but they won't let him have any power...if he got in they'd be no Wenger.

United have the ability to go and spend £30m + as well though so they have the best of both worlds, as do Barca. All those homegrown players yet can still go and spend multiple millions on the likes of Villa, Zlatan, Sanchez and now Neymar.

Post #: 6339
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 5:12:14 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Arsenal do have a billionaire with more, considerably more, money that Roman on the board but they won't let him have any power...if he got in they'd be no Wenger.

United have the ability to go and spend £30m + as well though so they have the best of both worlds, as do Barca. All those homegrown players yet can still go and spend multiple millions on the likes of Villa, Zlatan, Sanchez and now Neymar.

Agree,but there home grown players and general youth players still have a big say in the club.
The two clubs highlighted (United and Barca) have young players coming into the first team set-up on a near regular basis and that is something which Chelsea have promised but I cant ever see them doing.
But if Mourinho comes in then who knows he may surprise us in that regard.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6340
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 5:32:39 PM   
Skiba

It sounds like I don't want a youth policy but I do! I can't see happening either, though...I think most Chelsea fans would accept a season or two of transition if it were to blood the youth. It's a huge risk though, as I've said, as a season or two out of the CL, and you're playing catch up.

Roman bottled it with both AVB and RDM, although the AVB one was probably right as he wasn't exactly playing youth players, he was just shunting out players.

Post #: 6341
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 5:51:25 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

It sounds like I don't want a youth policy but I do! I can't see happening either, though...I think most Chelsea fans would accept a season or two of transition if it were to blood the youth. It's a huge risk though, as I've said, as a season or two out of the CL, and you're playing catch up.

Roman bottled it with both AVB and RDM, although the AVB one was probably right as he wasn't exactly playing youth players, he was just shunting out players.

Nah, I think you just sound frustrated,like me with regards to the English club youth set-up in general.
I think one of the major pluses of being a supporter of a club in any league in this country is to see a young player make the gradual progression through a clubs youth system.It beats spending million/thousands on a rival player in my eyes.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6342
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 6:18:40 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Problem is, as alluded to before, that big club are snapping up promising youngsters to stop other from having them not because they are wanted to improve their team.

The only way to resolve this would be for the youngsters themselves and their advisers to put the onus on their development over the wages/contracts offer. I know it gets stick but I actually think the Championship is a perfectly acceptable level for the under 21's to be playing at, but these kids need games otherwise their long term development can't help but be impacted.

That said they do need to go out to a team who understand that over playing them can also effect their long term career, so it has to be to a club and manager you trust.
All this is why I think if I had a promising 19 year old lad wanted by the top teams I'd advise him to sign for a lower level side and turn down the huge offers. If they have a couple of good seasons those teams would still be interested, and there'd actually be an even better deal while being closer to the first team if they move. The risk is obviously if they have a career threatening injury you don't have the money, but that has to be payoff. Too many youngsters, move too early and don't make their potential.
I really do not understand why any English youngster would even consider going to Chelsea. I just hope McEachran, Bertrand, Hutchinson, Chalobah, Kane, all get to leave Chelsea and forfil their early promise.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 31/5/2013 6:25:12 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 6343
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 7:02:34 PM   
Skiba

There's a few lads at Brentford who were on the books at PL clubs and turned down offers to stay to get first team football elsewhere...I may be wrong but I think it was Forshaw and Forrester and one of them was at Everton I think. Fairplay to them, like as you said Bob, they'll get picked up further down the line if they're good enough. But if you're offered tens of thousands a week, compared to a few grand (and less), you can see why they go.

Bertrand will get plenty of games this season, as he did last season...and the CL final the season before!

< Message edited by Skiba -- 31/5/2013 7:03:23 PM >

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 6344
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/5/2013 7:17:46 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Off topic from Chelsea.

What do ye reckon of Man City setting up a franchise in USA? I guess in keeping with this topic of conversation, will this give them an easy outlet for some of their developing talent in the future? Seems that if they could do this and also pick up the cream of US talent and be in a burgeoning market.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6345
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 11:42:49 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

So what do Chelsea fans think of Benitez now?

He won the Europa League
Finished in 3rd after you were 6th last season (11 more points)
Managed to slip Terry out of the first XI without any fuss
Kept everyone happy by the looks of it

He's still a complete fruit-cake. The Europa League was ours to lose when you see the other teams that were in it.

Moving Terry to one side didn't always work. He is still a great player, but certainly not the future.

His best accomplishment was getting Luiz playing well and more consistently.

Now we can only wait and pray that the rumours are correct...

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 3/6/2013 11:43:18 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6346
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 11:53:27 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I'd say we are beyond rumours http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22752817

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 6347
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 12:00:49 PM   
Sinatra

Oh dear God.....

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6348
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 12:33:08 PM   
superdan

I can't shake the feeling that The Second Coming Of The Special One is either going to turn out to be a resounding success or a catastrophic disaster for all involved. Will he get the backing he'll want (and need)? Can he bottle lightning at the club twice? Is his reputation now going to be a help or hindrance in signing marquee players?

I really can't wait for next season already, it's shaping up to be one of the most tasty in fucking yonks.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 6349
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 12:44:00 PM   
matty_b

I think it's a sign of desperation both on Chelsea's and Mourinho's part.

Mind, with the general upheaval at all the top clubs right now, I'd expect him to have an instant impact next season (at this point, I'd even say Chelsea are favourites for the title), but the old problems won't have gone away and it will implode spectacularly at some point. I think Mourinho is at a tipping point in his career where I'm not sure how much further he can go at club level with the way he goes about things.

It'll be funny when it does happen, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6350
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 2:21:27 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Mind, with the general upheaval at all the top clubs right now, I'd expect him to have an instant impact next season (at this point, I'd even say Chelsea are favourites for the title), but the old problems won't have gone away and it will implode spectacularly at some point. I think Mourinho is at a tipping point in his career where I'm not sure how much further he can go at club level with the way he goes about things.

Dream on son!

He's BACK where he belongs! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22574810

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6351
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 2:30:14 PM   
Skiba

quote:

Not sure how it's desperation...one needs a manager, the other needs a job. Big job for one of the best managers.

I'm sure it'll end in tears but I think they'll be a trophy or two in the meantime

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6352
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 2:32:07 PM   
Sinatra

He belongs at Chelsea whilst a club Manager... I am so fucking happy, couldn't give a toss if it ends in tears... what a ride it will be.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6353
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 2:44:07 PM   
matty_b

quote:

quote:

Not sure how it's desperation...one needs a manager, the other needs a job. Big job for one of the best managers.

I'm sure it'll end in tears but I think they'll be a trophy or two in the meantime

Well, Mourinho spent a lot of last year batting his eyes at Fergie and Old Trafford whilst trying to wriggle out of Madrid, while Chelsea have pretty much come full circle with the amount of managers they're fired.

Still, as long as you guys are happy...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6354
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 2:57:29 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

We certainly are...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6355
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 3:00:13 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

We certainly are...

Well we are...don't think Impy is too happy!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 6356
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 3:04:17 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

To be honest with you I think Chelsea fans should be happy.
They probably know his stint might be short, and if it is its not like Chelsea fans aren't used to managers coming and going,but I think with Jose on board ,and with Ambro unsurprisingly ready to throw money around like nobodies business, then I surely make them Favourites for next years PL title.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 3/6/2013 3:18:34 PM >

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 6357
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 3:37:31 PM   
impqueen

Four years is a bit optimistic don't you think?

Yes, always.

Post #: 6358
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 4:04:51 PM   
directorscut

Looks like I'll have to go back to hating Chelsea again.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 6359
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/6/2013 4:23:19 PM   
James2183

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 6360
Page:   <<   < prev  210 211 [212] 213 214   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  210 211 [212] 213 214   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI