Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chelsea Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 10:46:10 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

And to call Chelsea debt free is a little bit inaccurate

It's completely accurate. The last £166 mil loan was converted into shares.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20270934

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 5701
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 10:46:12 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Oh dear oh dear.

It was only a matter of time eh?

Trust me when i say Guirdiola would be a fool to take the Chelsea job whether now or in the future. The Chelsea job is a poisoned chalice and anyone in their right mind would think twice, unless its money they're after. Such a great set of managers they've had over the years; Mourinho, Ancelotti, AVB and none managed to make the grade. Pretty soon Roman will run out of managers to choose and what then? Maybe he can manage the team. What a joke.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5702
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 10:53:43 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Who says it'll cease? Nobody knows what RA is thinking...no one. He doesn't talk to anyone about himself or what he's doing at Chelsea. I think it's a misguided view to think he'd just walk away. You don't think he'd want to sell it?

You've kind of flagged a potential problem in the long term. If no one knows his intentions, can you be so certain what his end game might be when that time comes?

And to call Chelsea debt free is a little bit inaccurate. There's a few hundred million that's indebted to Abramovich, meaning you're at the complete mercy of this one individual. Speaking as a supporter of a club who share a similar relationship between a deficit & an owner, it's not the most secure & safe guarded position to be in by any means.

Sinatra will understand more about this than me. But I understand that about 160M (remembering this is a club that only turns over around 250M was a debt that was converted to equity. So I think there was a fair bit of fudging of the numbers to come up with a profit and I'm not really so sure how UEFA will view that creative accounting if they want to get serious about FFP. If Chelsea can't keep relying on their benefactor then they do seem (and I've not really looked at the numbers so this is an impression rather than a great insight) to have a business model that relies on them progressing a good distance in the CL each season, which is a dangerous gambit IMO.

Post #: 5703
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 10:55:08 AM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Oh dear oh dear.

Trust me when i say Guirdiola would be a fool to take the Chelsea job whether now or in the future. The Chelsea job is a poisoned chalice and anyone in their right mind would think twice, unless its money they're after. Such a great set of managers they've had over the years; Mourinho, Ancelotti, AVB and none managed to make the grade. Pretty soon Roman will run out of managers to choose and what then? Maybe he can manage the team. What a joke.

I'm still gutted about Ancelotti but Mourinho was never in it for the long-term, and Guardiola is much the same from what I know. 3-4 years, win some things then leave. Job done.

But this kind of hiring and firing has happened for decades at the likes of Milan, Inter, Real etc and it's just "oh those crazy Italians/Spanish" . Not saying I agree with it but count the trophies.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 5704
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 10:58:22 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty
If Chelsea can't keep relying on their benefactor then they do seem (and I've not really looked at the numbers so this is an impression rather than a great insight) to have a business model that relies on them progressing a good distance in the CL each season, which is a dangerous gambit IMO.

Just ask Leeds.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5705
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:02:49 AM   
Skiba

A statement is coming shortly and SSN are all over Rafa Benitez being appointed. Not sure how I feel about that...

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5706
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:08:12 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

A statement is coming shortly and SSN are all over Rafa Benitez being appointed. Not sure how I feel about that...

If that happens then I'll be shipping Hazard and Mata out of my Dream Team the first chance I get. I can't see Chelsea playing much expansive, free flowing football under him.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5707
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:09:10 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Wonder if 'Arry is sat by his phone right now?

Hilarious (and quite frankly sad) how 'Arry's mates in the media are talking about how much Ukraine want him, just to put pressure on QPR to take him on.
quote:

HARRY REDKNAPP is seriously considering a mega-bucks deal to manage Ukraine — piling the pressure on QPR to make him an offer.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4655864/Harry-Redknapp-seriously-considering-Ukraine-offer.html#ixzz2Cr1HojIv

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

That is all.

Obviously this is the right attitude as its no surprise that a man who wasn't really wanted is gone. And its even potentially good news for RDM who has rebuilt his managerial credentials after his less than outstanding time at WBA, he now has a CL victory on his CV and let's face it being sacked from Chelsea is no shame for a manager. So that's the right attitude, but its no fun. If Abramovich is going to keep serving up these doozies, we are gonna keep swinging at them

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5708
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:12:39 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

Oh dear oh dear.

I'm still gutted about Ancelotti but Mourinho was never in it for the long-term, and Guardiola is much the same from what I know. 3-4 years, win some things then leave. Job done.

But this kind of hiring and firing has happened for decades at the likes of Milan, Inter, Real etc and it's just "oh those crazy Italians/Spanish" . Not saying I agree with it but count the trophies.

Okay i hold my hand up - AVB was shite!

But Ancelotti was a great manager. Also unlike Mou he was universally respected and had the credentials to boot. Firing him was a bad move by Abramovich. This habit of changing managers nearly every season is quite tedious now (but a joy for journos no doubt) I bet the fans must be pretty fed up by now?

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5709
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:13:52 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

have a business model that relies on them progressing a good distance in the CL each season, which is a dangerous gambit IMO.

This is exactly how I understand it... it's only because we won the CL that we managed to turned a profit.

We are debt free now though.

Post #: 5710
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:16:16 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

There's obviously similarities to what your club is going through. The difference being that your owner is fucking mentalist! Even with a "rich" benefactor, but you don't have a global reach, you get fuck all from the TV deal, and you've not had the £'s that comes from the CL.

We certainly don't, but it's all relevant to what your income & expenditure is. Despite being in one of the most lucrative leagues in the world & having qualified for the last 16 of the CL before anyone else, Malaga are going through turmoil at the moment due to the actions of their investors. And whilst Abramovich's interest in Chelsea obviously has had longevity, it does show that when the owner becomes disinterested & the clubs commercial reach doesn't match their costs, the next step might be a hugely troublesome one.

As for 'global reach', whilst the Premiership as a league certainly does, I'm just not sure just how much Chelsea as a club do (say in comparison to a Man Utd). Either way, that leagues sustainability is driven by TV income - which for me is a disaster waiting to happen for some of the clubs in English football. The interest in that product may well continue, but I'm dubious whether the same levels of finance will.

quote:

As for financial fairplay, I can't see it being enforced. When you see the Russian clubs spending absolute fortunes, PSG spending a shitload, and they have certainly spent above their means. Even Barca and Real's books won't add up. Are we going to see UEFA telling them that they can't play in Europe next season? Not a fucking chance!

Competing's one thing, but we've had over 20 clubs denied prize-money because of the regulations already. The rules aren't going away any time soon & over the course, clubs will have no choice but to comply. The revelations made in the 2013/14 season could be a big one for example, particularly regarding some of the clubs you've just mentioned.

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 21/11/2012 11:19:10 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5711
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:17:50 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

We are debt free now though.

Until Roman decides he wants his money back. It's not quite the same thing.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5712
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:18:41 AM   
Skiba

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh dear oh dear.

Okay i hold my hand up - AVB was shite!

But Ancelotti was a great manager. Also unlike Mou he was universally respected and had the credentials to boot. Firing him was a bad move by Abramovich. This habit of changing managers nearly every season is quite tedious now (but a joy for journos no doubt) I bet the fans must be pretty fed up by now?

I agree. I loved Ancelloti and I believe he'd have been up for staying for years and years and he would've won several titles. Maybe not every year, but he could've been the guy to rebuild the team when it needed to be like Fergie has done over the years. That's just not RA's model though.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 5713
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:20:40 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 21/11/2012 11:21:00 AM >

Post #: 5714
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:26:27 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

Roll your eyes all you like, but the fact remains.

If you seriously think he'll just waver around 700 million pounds worth of debt when the time comes to sell, good luck to you.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5715
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 11:37:22 AM   
impqueen

I miss Carlo EYEBROW OF DOOM Ancelloti; I was genuinely gutted when he was sacked. I was mostly just pissed when Mourinho walked/was fired and a little sad when The Tinkerman fell, he knew he was for the chop early on but was a gent throughout that season. I actually shed a tear when we won the FA Cup with Guus, I loved that guy even though I knew I shouldn’t have gotten emotionally invested with a part-timer. Grant did well with someone else’s team though I have no thoughts or feelings concerning him.

I was massively annoyed when we brought in Scolari, didn’t like him at all and was glad when he got the boot. AVB, given time maybe something grand could have happened but his tactics for us mostly sucked as did his freaky substitutions.

As for RDM he I think we all know, was a dead man walking, he got us the big one and that was something to behold (don’t give a fuck how we went about it) but as has been said it merely papered over the cracks which were bound to reappear at some point and have with a very poor run of results. He valiantly tried to do what RA apparently wants and for a wee while it looked to be working then it didn’t, not helped by a shoddy defence as well as a misfiring and constantly mardy looking striker.

I am gutted but really the merry-go-round keeps going and going and going...      

Yes, always.

Post #: 5716
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:02:46 PM   
Skiba

From the always amusing Twop Twips:

"ROMAN ABRAMOVICH. Get Twitter back on side by appointing a woman bishop as the next Chelsea manager."

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5717
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:17:10 PM   
James2183

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5718
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:21:34 PM   
matty_b

Brilliant.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5719
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:37:09 PM   
Olaf

surely John Terry is the only candidate for the job worth considering.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5720
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:37:55 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Amazing

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5721
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 12:58:06 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

From the always amusing Twop Twips:

"ROMAN ABRAMOVICH. Get Twitter back on side by appointing a woman bishop as the next Chelsea manager."

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5722
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 1:01:20 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

surely John Terry is the only candidate for the job worth considering.

Not in my thinking. Here's my cover letter.

Dear Roman,

Back in 2006 I became manager of Middlesbrough FC. Immediately I set about generating income for the club by selling Downing to Aston Villa for 16.5M. So I have a good understanding of FFP. When one of the senior team members complained about this I told him I managed the team and if he didn't like it I'd transfer list him. I also immediately mutually terminated the contract of Gareth Southgate, showing I can move on aging players. Being popular with the team is not my management style.

I brought in flair players such as the signing of Modric for 1.5M, a flying Brazillian wing back called Ratinho for 2.5M and invested heavily in the attacking strength of Jefferson Farfan for 6.5M. I also flair players such as Gourcuff and Higuain on loan. My team played a solid 4-4-2 using width to penetrate teams and short passes with crosses played into a target man. We experimented with some other set ups and any time I lost a few games in a row I made teams replay the games until I got the result I wanted.

After the first season I had qualified for Europe. In subsequent years I won all major trophies. The league, the FA Cup and the Champions League. I also took on the England manager role, but ultimately got a bit bored with the whole thing and resigned.

I think all of the above makes me an ideal candidate to take several million of your ill-gotten gains for a few months work. I do have a current job, but I don't work Saturdays, so I think I can job share during my month's notice. I am also usually free on Thursday evenings.

BR

Me

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5723
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 2:43:58 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

They should give the job to Michael Emenalo.
Its about time he did something..

Post #: 5724
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:06:52 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

If you seriously think he'll just waver around 700 million pounds worth of debt when the time comes to sell, good luck to you.

Nope, he'll just sell it and get what he can... IF he sells it that is. He loves his football.

Post #: 5725
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:36:35 PM   
Skiba

It's going to be Rafa, isn't it?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5726
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:45:01 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Yes.
Which wont be a bad thing.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5727
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:48:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

It's going to be Rafa, isn't it?

Until the end of the season. Then they will have another crack at Pep.

In an Alonso-type move, I now expect Mata to be sold to Real in January

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5728
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:48:17 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Yes.
Which wont be a bad thing.

Yes it would. Considering the conflict between him, his Liverpool team at the time, and his complete failure at Inter, it's a worry.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5729
RE: Chelsea Thread - 21/11/2012 4:56:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think he was in prime position because Abramovich thinks he is the best person to get Torres firing again. A "transition" year, which culminates in a Torres that can score again would be something of a success.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 5730
Page:   <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  189 190 [191] 192 193   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI