Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Chelsea Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:16:26 PM   
Professor Moriarty

In fairness, neither team is defending very well (nor did either at the weekend). Is this 7 games this season where Utd have conceded 2 or more goals? In this case you could argue is more forgivable for Utd with their lack of experience at the back. Things just seem to go wrong at the back for Chelsea and I don't have the tactical nous to put my finger on why.

What I'd be equally as worried about for Chelsea is that Utd want this more. Not that the competition really matters for these two teams who will be aiming higher. But Utd made 10 changes and its like all their players who aren't in Ferguson's starting XI are out there trying to prove a point.

Whereas I think Chelsea only made 5 changes. Now they have a small squad to start with. But I think some of the players who are in their starting line up are out there having a stroll. And the players who are on the fringe of the team just don't look like they want to put any pressure on Di Matteo to select them.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5611
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:34:36 PM   
Olaf

less than twelve goals = shit game

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5612
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:37:19 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

United will lose this now.
To many inexperienced players on the pitch.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5613
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:45:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I don't think Ferguson will be too worried if they do lose. What he does know (imo) is he has a lot of young players ready to step up and play for the team.

Back to Chelsea defending I think the main problems are:
- they look lackadaisical playing it out from the back. I think this is probably down to the positioning of who they are laying the ball off to. It might look like Luiz has played a bad ball, but sometimes he's forced to play too difficult a pass to move them forwards.

- when the ball is around the penalty area they are happy to stand off and give space. Utd are almost the opposite and we've seen that lead to goals (Rooney's tackle, the penalties today), but I think they need to get tighter to players who have the ball and harass them more, don't let them dwell and find space. Ironically it looks like sometimes their marking is too tight, I think it was Cahill that RvP easily spun past at the weekend.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5614
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:46:37 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

wonder how many English/British players are on the pitch

Post #: 5615
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 9:54:18 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

GOAL - Liverpool 1-3 Swansea - Jonathan de Guzman
oh dear.

Post #: 5616
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:14:30 PM   
impqueen

Fucks sake.

Yes, always.

Post #: 5617
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:16:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just the 9 goals tonight then Good game. Inexperience has cost Utd.

I've been weighing up for a good while whether for me Sturridge is a cock who thinks more of himself than he can deliver, or a genuinely good player. I'm afraid that over recent times I've been leaning towards the former and tonight has only backed that up for me. Torres is (still) struggling and I think he had a great chance tonight against an inexperienced defense to make a claim. IMO one of the poorer players on the pitch tonight. Had a number of chances he did nothing with and so can't see where he gets off with the big poses when he's gifted a goal.

EDIT: Was that harsh. Is he just lacking confidence and therefore isn't sharp and the goal meant so much to him?

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 31/10/2012 10:21:23 PM >

Post #: 5618
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:23:10 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Overall an enjoyable game.
But in the end experience counted in Chelsea's favour as they could bring on Hazard,Oscar and Ramire to get them back into the game while United pursued with youth.
Manchester United got the all important result on the weekend but defensive frailties seem to be evident throughout there squad.

Edit: And yes Sturridge is a cock.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 31/10/2012 10:24:03 PM >

Post #: 5619
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:24:34 PM   
impqueen

Sturridge was for the most part useless tonight, he spurned many, many chances and was gifted his goal.

I think the win will be more important for the team than actual progression, it was against a much weaker United and despite my own feelings about Sunday, I believe we needed a psychological boost.

I liked Moses tonight.

Yes, always.

Post #: 5620
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:24:51 PM   
directorscut

Competition's opened up for Arsenal.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 5621
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 10:43:23 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

LEAGUE CUP QUARTER-FINAL DRAW

Leeds United v Chelsea

Swansea v Middlesbrough

Norwich v Aston Villa

Bradford v Arsenal

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5622
RE: Chelsea Thread - 31/10/2012 11:00:45 PM   
directorscut

Does this mean Chelsea/Arsenal can't meet until the final?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 5623
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 9:31:10 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I have to admit, the banner : "Chelsea, standing up to racism since Sunday" did make me chuckle.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5624
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 10:17:59 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Best two players on the pitch have been Keane and Wooten for United,because although we marvel at Chelsea attacking play they havent really troubled these two young centre backs.

Nice posts PM. Interesting stuff. I think we are rotating the mid-field players quite well this season and Terry will be back soon with a point to prove. I still think the defence will come good.

he main problem for me is up front. Torres isn't coming good. He had an ok season last year but was largely a provider rather than scorer. Sturridge deserves a decent run imho. This will give him the confidence he needs.

Post #: 5625
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 10:50:56 AM   
Professor Moriarty

JT will organise the back 4 better than Luiz (who doesn't do that at all) and Cahill (who I just think no one listens to). But the problem still remains in the link between the defense and mid-field. I think that is where you are getting caught out every time.

The game against Swansea at the weekend will be interesting. If I'm right what we'll see is Mikel and Ramires standing off when Swansea come forward. With a team like Swansea who pass the ball well imo this is too dangerous and they need to close them down.

Also, I'm sure Swansea did it last year (albeit their manager left), but I'm sure that they basically stood off Mikel every time the ball came to Cech. Invited the pass to Mikel and then sent 2 players charging at him. They know he doens't have the fastest footballing brain and can be pushed to make mistakes. So, we'll either see Mikel making a mistake or Luiz will carry the ball out and not have options and that will lead to mistakes.

If I were Chelsea manager the change I'd make would be to drop Mata back to pick up those balls from the keeper or defenders that he can then use. I think there is enough talent ahead of him Hazard and Oscar (and I'd play Sturridge wide again). I think there is a misunderstanding in the English media that defensive midfielders have to tackle. They don't really, they need to see gaps and close down. This is what Barcelona do. This is why Rooney still needs to develop into that roll and not be looking for the tackle that Row Z will applaud.

I agree that Torres is one of the weaker players, (even though he's scored almost as many goals this season as last) but the real problem is elsewhere in the team and a big bid for Falcao for example will only paper over a bigger crack in the team.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5626
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 12:03:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

Best two players on the pitch have been Keane and Wooten for United,because although we marvel at Chelsea attacking play they havent really troubled these two young centre backs.

To be fair once Chelsea threw on Hazard (35million),Oscar (22million) and Ramires (18Million) it was always going to be tough for the Manchester United youth academy players.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5627
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 12:09:26 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I have to admit, the banner : "Chelsea, standing up to racism since Sunday" did make me chuckle.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

Post #: 5628
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 12:25:28 PM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

There was a lot of talk on Redcafe (The United forum I go on), where the guy who'd made that and the Clattenburg: Referee. Leader. Legend. one and we were all worried how they'd come across, particularly the Clattenburg one, luckily people seem to have realised the irony of both of them.

Post #: 5629
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 12:31:28 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 5630
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 1:20:27 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

To be fair once Chelsea threw on Hazard (35million),Oscar (22million) and Ramires (18Million) it was always going to be tough for the Manchester United youth academy players.

arhh yes, but you didn't say that.... and that is what they would come up against every week in th PL

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 1/11/2012 1:21:15 PM >

Post #: 5631
RE: Chelsea Thread - 1/11/2012 1:53:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think it was interesting that while Utd were giving all these lads a run out, Paul Pogba was putting in a MotM performance for Juventus. I can see him coming back to the PL in a few years time to haunt Utd.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5632
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/11/2012 2:36:24 PM   
impqueen

Marin on the bench! Hope he get's a few minutes...

Yes, always.

Post #: 5633
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/11/2012 3:48:04 PM   
impqueen

Ho hum...no Mata no spark.

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5634
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/11/2012 5:25:16 PM   
impqueen

We were poor but Swansea worked hard and deserved at least a point if not more. I thought that Torres was particularly off (again), Moses was good (again) and Cahill too.

WARNING SELF INDULGENT BAD FAN RAMBLE

Well that was a pretty wank week and most of it our own self-destructive shitty attitude doing. Its personally getting harder and harder to give a fuck about a Club I have followed and loved for twenty+ years. The Clattenburg allegations if true should be dealt with accordingly. However if they are (and I apologise for sounding like a conspiracy nut...) some farcical fuckery Chelsea have made up to divert attention from the result, the fan behaviour, the steward injury and some weird cynical attempt to reverse/alleviate the John Terry episode, we deserve everything coming our way and I will vomit in a bag.

I like to think (daydream) that when certain players have left for pastures green we can build with the younger squad we have, improve our quite frankly appalling image (folks will always hate us but we sure do shovel shit on ourselves) and improve our collective attitude. However I fear that certain players wont be gone for long and may become part of the staff and continue to be utterly incompetent twats continuously drawing negative press and attention our way. I know I sound ungrateful but fuck that, if youre paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week, in what is a relatively short career and are adored/envied by millions of people worldwide you should be better.

END

So up next a must win game, Shakhtar Donetsk.

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5635
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/11/2012 8:29:33 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Sad I missed that game as I had fancied that Swansea would be up for the game and I suspected that without Mata Chelsea would struggle. Did Hazard play through the middle with Mata out? I still think that a much more solid formation for Chelsea would be Mata playing deeper next to Ramires and Hazard through the middle instead of out wide.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 3/11/2012 8:36:37 PM >

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5636
RE: Chelsea Thread - 3/11/2012 8:57:44 PM   
impqueen

Hazard played on the left with Oscar in the middle, Moses on the right with Obi and Romeu behind those three and Torres up front. I too thought we would struggle without Mata but also thought we would have enough creativity on the pitch to overcome his loss, I was wrong.

Yes, always.

Post #: 5637
RE: Chelsea Thread - 4/11/2012 2:31:21 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just watching the highlights.

Clear penalty for Chelsea in the first half imo. But they did the two things I've been going on about.

They stood off the Swansea players when Swansea had the ball, letting them pass the ball around and create space for the equaliser. And Hazard was most dangerous when cutting in to the middle. I know the attacking players are meant to swap positions, that's what they do, but he's the best player, play him where he's most dangerous.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5638
RE: Chelsea Thread - 7/11/2012 9:00:46 PM   
impqueen

We are piss at the back.

Yes, always.

Post #: 5639
RE: Chelsea Thread - 7/11/2012 9:16:19 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Defending is so 2006 for Chelsea

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 5640
Page:   <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Chelsea Thread Page: <<   < prev  186 187 [188] 189 190   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI