Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 14/11/2006 12:08:46 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I think the doctor has to be a red herring. No way do they have him spout all the dialogue about his history with amputees unless he's a red herring. I'll be extremely disappointed in the show if he's the actual killer.

Another great episode - the final line from Perry to Dexter and Dex's reaction to it was sublime. And I recognised Perry from BSG.

So who is this Perry guy? An accomplice of the ITK? Sounds like he has to be since he had such intimate knowledge about the crimes.

And damn, how similar looking are Dexter and Rita's ex?

< Message edited by Barefoot Doctor -- 14/11/2006 12:11:42 AM >

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 31
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 14/11/2006 9:36:52 PM   
Zatoichi

Could be the doctor but I'm hoping, considering how smart and clever the show's been so far, that it wouldn't be as obvious as that.

Yet another great episode there. This has been one of the most consistent series' I can recall watching.

And good news, folks - the network has ordered a second season!

< Message edited by Zatoichi -- 14/11/2006 9:44:58 PM >

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."
"Scully, are you coming on to me?"

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 32
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 15/11/2006 3:37:51 PM   
furrybastard

It could very well be the doctor but I think people are expecting this show to do the conventinoal big reveal/capture thing. While that mgiht happen, it's also possible that they could reveal the killer and then have them both continue thier murders throughout the second series. A competition, perhaps? 

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 33
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 16/11/2006 8:28:57 AM   
ndy_vrg

http://www.tv.com/dexter/show/62683/videos.html?category=episode_clip&tag=subtabs;episode_clips

Can someone watch the clip of the therapist from the next episode
Is that Tony Goldwyn from Ghost?

There's someone running around in a gorilla suit?
What's he look like?

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 34
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 16/11/2006 8:59:23 AM   
elab49

Perry is some kind of uber computer guy so maybe that is it - or possibly fed stuff by the killer himself? If he picked up on Dexter, then he might have Perry too, given Perry played around in his hunting ground.

Last scene was superb - that smile! And ditto the above - I really hope a show this well done didn't dumb down so much that telegraphed the killer.

One question for those who have read the books - I got and started the first one and then stopped because I realised it could spoil the reveal for the Ice Truck Killer - can anyone confirm whether or not is does? If so, I think I'll leave it for now.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to ndy_vrg)
Post #: 35
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 16/11/2006 12:03:33 PM   
Mycroft

That's what I was thinking, Perry seems like a mediocre killer, maybe the ITK toyed with him but was unimpressed by the way he played the game. The ITK could be some kind of criminal profiler if he enjoys playing with them so much, in the same way Dexter combines work and play. Surely he's got to be a doctor/cop professional of some kind?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 20/11/2006 7:49:43 PM   
Mycroft

Ok, not alot of doubt anymore 

Excellent episode, Tony Goldwyns always great in those control-freak roles, nice direction from him too.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 37
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 20/11/2006 10:43:24 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Spoilers for 1.08, Shrink Wrap:

I know I said I'd be disappointed if the doctor was the ITK, but I'm not. I was expecting them to hold off on revealing his identity till the finale but since they didn't it doesn't seem so bad. And poor Deborah, she's in one hell of a situation now!

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 38
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 21/11/2006 12:00:09 PM   
ndy_vrg

Another great episode. Very sexy it was too

What's he look like?

Post #: 39
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 22/11/2006 10:42:35 AM   
Captain Black

It was certainly a brave reveal of the ITK. I thought it really worked though. There's no messing around with the audience, just very matter of fact.

A strong episode elsewhere, even if it did focus on just a few main characters for a change. Hall was better than ever with the shrink, especially in the 'I'm a serial killer' dialogue and his reaction to it.

I feel so sorry for Deb too; all the warning signs were there. As soon as you see the guy with a BMW 5 Series you know it's him. Eeeevvviiiillllll. Bastard probably doesn't indicate either. I can see them potentially having Debs find out about Dexter as he's saving her from the ITK or similar, and that'll be the hook or cliffhanger for next year - how exactly she deals with it.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to ndy_vrg)
Post #: 40
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 24/11/2006 9:36:33 PM   
Zatoichi

Dexter delivers the goods yet again. The identity of the ITK was predictable but that final scene was really effective despite this, and I agree with ndy_vrg, 'twas a very sexy episode. Best part was the flashback of Dex strangling his dad - very very darkly comic.

"You're so consumed by your personal vengeance against life, whether it be its inherent cruelties or its mysteries, that everything takes on a warped significance to fit your meglo-maniacal cosmology."

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 41
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 25/11/2006 9:49:27 AM   
elab49

Ditto the above - very clever. All of us thinking they were making it to obvious and then they just slam it on the table and move on with it, making it very interesting indeed. Total kudos.

And it was pathetic Perry and his PCs.

Best line had to be holding off on killing Meridian as he needed another session!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 42
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 26/11/2006 2:56:10 AM   
furrybastard

Fantastic episode, probably my personal favourite so far.

The identity of the Ice Truck Killer was obvious, yes, but I never doubted that this show would go beyond just the obvious "BIG" reveal like you might see in something like Lost. Instead they've set him up perfectly as a viable character, not just a villain. It's not so much about who he is than what he can do. And since he has his claws (amongst other things!) in Dexter's sister... well, things are going to get very interesting.

I have to echo an above poster's comments about how sexy the episode was - lots of flesh and panting

Also, in Dexter's flashbacks when he was hpynotised by the psychiatrist (all brilliant scenes by the way), they end with an image of a young boy, sitting in a large pool of blood. Was this Dexter as a child, possibly responsible for the murder of his biological parents!? Or were his parents murdered by someone else, perhaps!?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 43
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 26/11/2006 1:20:52 PM   
elab49

Ah - actually you've now reminded me of the bit I didn't like.

One of the most heinous literary crimes of modern times, for me, is Thomas Harris whoring for cash and 'explaining' Hannibal Lector. He simply doesn't understand that someone born that way with no explanation, and no need, is scarier.

'Explaining' Dexter is something I so hope they don't do. It is trite, disappointing and banal - and just not as frightening. The need to show a reason can ruin many a story.

Fingers crossed this won't happen. Unless they do imply he killed them - but the age he was? And the crying? I don't think so - more likely killed in front of.

quote:

Post #: 44
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 26/11/2006 2:28:20 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Ah - actually you've now reminded me of the bit I didn't like.

One of the most heinous literary crimes of modern times, for me, is Thomas Harris whoring for cash and 'explaining' Hannibal Lector. He simply doesn't understand that someone born that way with no explanation, and no need, is scarier.

'Explaining' Dexter is something I so hope they don't do. It is trite, disappointing and banal - and just not as frightening. The need to show a reason can ruin many a story.

Fingers crossed this won't happen. Unless they do imply he killed them - but the age he was? And the crying? I don't think so - more likely killed in front of.

Yeah I see your point. Providing one, all encompassing reason as to what caused him to be a serial killer undermines the character completely. Right now they seem to be going with the angle that he simply is a killer, no excuses necessary. Personally I quite like that about the show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 45
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 26/11/2006 3:31:31 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Personally I quite like that about the show

Absolutely. Me too. I love the fact that Harry understands that and regeared it to a new set of rules that deals with other psychos keeping Dexter safe. While being a tad worried, still, that I am SO behind the lead character who is a sociopath!

quote:

Post #: 46
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 30/11/2006 8:57:53 PM   
furrybastard

So what did people make of Episode 9 - Father Knows Best?

After last weeks high, I have to say I was quite disappointed with the episode. The house/couples thing seemed a tad bit contrived and wasn't as much fun as it should have been. The backstory to Angry Cop Guy was an interesting setup for the future. And Dexter's discovery and questions into his biological father's life didn't have much impact for me; it was all a bit dull really!

I did quite like the end with the ITK calling back to the sweet old lady though

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 47
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 30/11/2006 11:41:11 PM   
Joedini

Wow, what a dark dismal yet fantastic show. Just finished the pilot and the rest is on the way, loved it. Does it maintain its high standards?

Post #: 48
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 30/11/2006 11:43:42 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joedini

Wow, what a dark dismal yet fantastic show. Just finished the pilot and the rest is on the way, loved it. Does it maintain its high standards?

I've found each episode to be an improvement on the last.

And as for the most current episode, I found it to be excellent. I liked that it was quiet and allowed for some simple interactions between characters.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 49
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 1/12/2006 12:03:45 AM   
Mycroft

Yea, the creators must have alot of confidence to not take the easy route and heighten things too much, I suppose being on Showtime helps alot. I haven't read the books but it has that flavour with the narration, not really used to that on TV. Its feels dream-like with Dexter's detachment from everything around him, makes it easy to watch. I love the simultaneous coldness and decency of Dexter. I haven't had the merest twinge of dissappointment yet, and my twingeometer is pretty sensitive. Its weird but somehow I just can't get enough of the title sequence, I love the bit where the juice sprays out when cutting the fruit. Usually I hate titles, ah the simple pleasures.

Post #: 50
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 1/12/2006 12:10:08 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I think the credits are pretty freaky. There's something a little scary about the way they do them - what really gets to me is seeing him shave his neck. Horrible! But so fitting with the show.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 51
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 1/12/2006 3:57:16 PM   
Zatoichi

Very good episode. Not as good as what's come before I agree but still great. I really like the way they're using the ITK.

Post #: 52
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 1/12/2006 4:07:55 PM   
ndy_vrg

Only 3 episodes left of the season

What's he look like?

(in reply to Zatoichi)
Post #: 53
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 5/12/2006 10:40:07 AM   
ndy_vrg

What a fantastic episode
Show of the season so far
I can't wait for the next episode now

What's he look like?

(in reply to ndy_vrg)
Post #: 54
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 5/12/2006 2:02:21 PM   
furrybastard

This was  back to being excellent after last episode's slight dip. Dexter knocking Paul out was hilarious! And the ITK is getting strangely careless, isn't he!?

And despite everything, I did really like the ending. Very creepy and disturbing. An interesting development is that Dexter seems to be tempted to abandon his father's moral code, saying he hasn't broken it "yet" and he seems to be a bit resentful towards him now.

< Message edited by furrybastard -- 6/12/2006 12:28:16 AM >

(in reply to ndy_vrg)
Post #: 55
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 5/12/2006 6:17:15 PM   
hongkongphooey

Really excellent episode - I love this show.

The look on Dexter's face when he knocked out Paul was very funny. Think there's only 2 episodes left, but I'm not sure.

Post #: 56
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 6/12/2006 12:29:23 AM   
furrybastard

Yup, two more episodes. They're planning on filming season 2 this summer, I think.

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 57
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 6/12/2006 1:12:13 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

Such a smart idea revealing the Ice Truck Killer so early. It means we can just enjoy seeing Rudy interact with everyone instead of consantly wondering who the killer is. Can't wait to see how Dexter reacts to finding out Rudy is the ITK.

Here's something cool that someone at TWOP pointed out...in one of the opening episodes, Dexter says there are 206 bones in the human body. What's half of 206? 103! So who are Dexter and Rudy going to 'split'? Deb seems the likely option (and what's he going to do with her leg casts, you know they'll play a part!).

Loved that Dexter didn't kill Paul - his expression after knocking him out was priceless.

Post #: 58
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 6/12/2006 1:36:27 AM   
furrybastard

At first, I thought Dex was going to tell Rudy about his problems with Paul and then Rudy was going to kill him as a favour to Dexter!

I don't think they'll kill Deb. Perhaps Dex will find out who was responsible for his parents murder (killed by chainsaw, nasty) and they'll team up!

Post #: 59
RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed - 6/12/2006 10:10:53 PM   
Zatoichi

Fantastic episode. Has there ever been as much blood as that in a TV show before!?

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: DEXTER: New show, US Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI