Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

seinfeld appreciation thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> seinfeld appreciation thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
seinfeld appreciation thread - 1/10/2006 9:37:07 PM   
bob harris

great comedy about nothing.brilliant cast with jason alexander as george,michael richards as kramer and julia lois dreyfuss as elaine.and of cours the king of dead pan jerry himself.possibly the funniest us sitcom ever?

heeeeeeeeeeres johnnie!!
Post #: 1
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 1/10/2006 9:41:06 PM   
Zaphod121

not the funniest, but one of the funniest

Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.

(in reply to bob harris)
Post #: 2
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 1/10/2006 10:57:08 PM   
The Mighty

I think there is already a long Seinfeld thread around here somewhere, but I can't be bothered to dig it up. Try doing a search. I agree that it is one of the best sitcoms ever made. SERENITY NOW!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 3
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 2:14:08 PM   
soderbergh1

at the start of the summer i started watching seinfeld from the beginning having never seen even a second of an episode. i was inspired to watch it after seeing all the Curb your Enthusiasm dvd's and i wasn't let down. brilliant characters and plots make this one of my favourite american programmes ever.

the bit in season 2 (?) where they stake out the lift is genius. art...vandelay!

"Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."

LAST 3 FILMS WATCHED:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ***
Iron Man ***
Dasavatharam ***

(in reply to The Mighty)
Post #: 4
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 4:08:51 PM   
HIGHLANDER

quote:

ORIGINAL: soderbergh1

the bit in season 2 (?) where they stake out the lift is genius. art...vandelay!

That was from the 2nd episode but very funny nontheless.
I started watching Seinfeld it earlier this year and it is one of the best sitcoms i've ever have the privalage to watch. My favorite episode is The Barber from Season 5. Hilarious from start to finish. The scene where Newman tries to get a hair from Jerry's head is side-splittenly funny.
M y favorite character is Newman. The michevious postman who dislikes Jerry and vice versa.

LAST 5 FILMS
Three Men And A Baby - 4/5 DVD (12)
City Of God - 5/5 SKY *
The Bank Job - 2/5 SKY *
Gran Torino - 4/5 Blu-Ray *
The Talented Mr Ripley - 3/5 SKY *

* indicates 1st viewing
( ) indicates no of viewings

(in reply to soderbergh1)
Post #: 5
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 4:37:32 PM   
bubs

I love Seinfeld. It'll always be brilliant!

"Shake it once, shake it twice! A' give me a little bit of sugar spice!"- Bubs

Forza Juve

"Who Watches The Watchmen?"

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint
3. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
4. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

My DVD's: http://perrin-bubs-f-rch.dvdaf.com/owned

(in reply to HIGHLANDER)
Post #: 6
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 4:53:40 PM   
krudler

cant beat the soup nazi episode though

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 7
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 5:56:25 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yeah, this is like the 3rd or 4th Seinfeld Appreciation Thread that we've had, but i've got no problem with posting about its brilliance. I've been watching the show for about 2 years now, and behind The Simpsons, it's probably the funniest thing to ever grace the TV screens. And once again, just behind The Simpsons, it holds the 2nd funniest character ever! Cosmo Kramer! Although George really does start to grow on you.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 8
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 2/10/2006 10:59:13 PM   
mfj fratelli

She had man hands!

You figure, what the hell, I'll just eat some trash!

I drive them to Lesbianism. He brings them back.

It's a great sitcom. They're so many memorable quotes.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 9
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 3/10/2006 12:50:25 AM   
Art Vandelay

Although incredibly hard to call, my favourite episode is probably The Marine Biologist:

"The see was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to order soup at a deli..."

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 10
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 24/10/2006 1:56:48 PM   
mampers

Seinfeld. What is there more to say about this programme which has not been mentioned before? I love this programme so much, that it is a travesty that BBC2 did not give it the chance it did when it was given the rights to show the programme. Instead what do we get on our screens, "Friends" (wannabe Seinfeld for the hip and happening. Funny but has that saccharine feel to it, which makes me feel like I was swimming in a vat of molasses and candy floss)

Favourite episode? I dont wanna choose one, since it is like being asked to choose over your children which one you like more. I can't do that at all. But if I had a gun to my head and the trigger was about to be pulled, then I would choose "The Contest". It is funny and ingenius, since before that episode, anything masturbatory (word not sure if it is) was not even mentioned on prime time tv. Nowadays it is everywhere, maybe even in Spongebob Squarepants if you look hard enough.

It is a shame that Seinfeld is no more apart from beloved reruns, but to me it always lives when I mention the programme to someone who has not heard of it before. I always try to advocate it to other people.

Mampers.

Walter Sobchak: You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.
The Dude: Yeah, but Walter...
Walter Sobchak: Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

Post #: 11
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 24/10/2006 2:04:00 PM   
adamdavey

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

cant beat the soup nazi episode though

No soup for you. Come back...one year.....

Also liked.......

I'm the wiz baby...no one beats the Wiz

and

I believe its pronounced...menage a trois....

Clarence, I Like you.........always have, always will.......

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 12
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 2:36:00 PM   
Art Vandelay

For anyone who doesn't own all the Dvds yet, i just ordered Seasons 5, 6 & 7 for just 36 quid, free delivery at HMV.co.uk. Considering the quality of the show and the special features, i'd say it's a pretty great deal! Also, does anyone know the Season and episode where Jerry and Kramer switch apartments?

(in reply to adamdavey)
Post #: 13
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 2:58:38 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I have only just started watching this after picking season one and two up for 8.50 at matalan.  It's a very funny series and i've just ordered season three from Amazon who are selling each series for 12 each (like HMV)

My favourite episodes from season one and two are the one where they're waiting for a chinese restaraunt, the one where Jerry flips a coin and George counts interference and the one where Jerry and Dianne (is it?) I forget  start sleeping together and remain friends.  Not as good as frasier but still superb comedy

Post #: 14
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 4:23:20 PM   
Art Vandelay

Ah man, it will get better than Frasier. The only show that never once dropped in quality throughout its whole run, and it just continues to improve throughout every single Season.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 15
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 4:48:18 PM   
theoriginalcynic

That's surprising as larry david (on the one hour documentary - season one and two) mentions how hard it was to come up with another four episodes for season one.  He said he went crazy when they ordered another thirteen for season two.  And season three? Because he has to think (along with Jerry) to create these storylines and comedy.  Can't wait to watch season three though and then hopefully buy the rest

Post #: 16
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 4:50:45 PM   
Zaphod121

Ah Seinfeld, havent watched this in ages, my second favorite sictom (right behind AD) I think Kramer is possibly the most hillarious character..... ever

Post #: 17
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 6:04:46 PM   
Zaphod121

So I was thinking right, how the hell did Seinfeld last as long as it did if it didn't get noticed until it's 4th season?

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 18
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 8:27:18 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yeah, if it wasn't for the huge critical acclaim that it recieved, it probably would have never survived its 1st Season. In the same way that Arrested Development recieved below average ratings but was adored by critics. You gotta give it to NBC for sticking with it for the first couple of years, and from what i hear, the President of NBC saw something pretty special in it at the time. What a guy!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 19
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 8:52:15 PM   
parsonage84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

Although incredibly hard to call, my favourite episode is probably The Marine Biologist:

"The see was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to order soup at a deli..."

"hole in one"

Probably one of the best comedies of all time never get bored of watching the Dvds over and over again

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

Post #: 20
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 9:04:48 PM   
sushiandrice

ASSMAN!!

You wanna a piece of me? YOU GOT IIIIITTTTTTT!!

Jerry Stiller is God.

You space bastard.

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 21
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 9:40:59 PM   
sparkwood

Jerry and Kramer swap apartements in the Season 8 ep 'the chicken roaster.' Im not sure if its the episode you mean (its the one where Jerry cant sleep because of the neon sign out in front and starts to act like Kramer) but there it is.
I think a strong case could be made for Seinfeld as the Sitcom of the 90s. It has a consistent philosophy maintained through the series and of its own kind, a rich internal lingo of its own, and relatability ot everyday life.. And most importantly its very very funny.
I was also impressed by the way it steered clear of the usual American sitcom devolution into soap opera and schmaltzy point scoring.

Post #: 22
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 10/6/2007 9:47:16 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yep, that's the one, cheeers.

(in reply to sparkwood)
Post #: 23
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 7/7/2007 8:33:04 AM   
King_Wah

I was watching the final ones of season six last night. I love the scene where Jerry and Elaine are at the funeral and the woman is wailing 'why, why, why did he have to die ?' and Elaine turns to Jerry and says 'You know I hate all my clothes...Just look in my wardrobe and I hate all of them..' Just hilarious and just sums up what is so brillliant about the show. Just ordered series 7 & 5 off Amazon for less than 25. Trying to decide whether to get series 1-3.

Glamour ?!?

Not that there's anything wrong with that !

I rested my plate on the piano. I tell you I would not have got away with that if I had not been a dictator !

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

Post #: 24
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 7/7/2007 9:49:01 PM   
Southall Sissoko

King Wah, you should definitely get season 3, everything after The Pen is solid comedy gold. That being said... "STELLLLAAA!"

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 25
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 11/7/2007 3:43:54 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Just watched season 4, 5, 6 and now im on 7 over the last few weeks.  First time i've seen them...

No soup for you! Off to NY on holiday later this year and ive booked a New York tour.  They take you to where the soup nazi was filmed... yeah!

(in reply to Southall Sissoko)
Post #: 26
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 15/7/2007 10:48:04 PM   
Art Vandelay

The Soup Nazi is actually based on a real person in New York and you can visit him. I know someone who's gone on the tour and apparently his soup store is open for about 3-4 months a year. The rest of the time he's out of the country. And from what i hear, it's quite a lot like the actual episode, with "Silence" signs all round the soup store and stuff.

Post #: 27
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 16/7/2007 7:53:21 AM   
parsonage84

Just got season four from HMV only need to get the first 3 seasons now. Great season with some of the best epsoides " Tne Bubble Boy" "The Outing" "The Contest"

Not that theres anything wrong with that

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

Post #: 28
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 16/7/2007 11:49:28 AM   
theoriginalcynic

The contest is probably the best episode IMO.  That's mad about the real soup nazi in New York...hopefully I'll get to meet him

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 29
RE: seinfeld appreciation thread - 16/7/2007 12:35:36 PM   
The Hooded Man

I was on the New York movie and TV tour that takes you to Al's Soup Kitchen. Did you know he successfully sued Seinfeld?

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 16/7/2007 12:36:44 PM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> seinfeld appreciation thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI