Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mini Reviews

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  64 65 66 [67] 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/3/2010 10:42:20 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Ooh good review! Though I laughed at the fudderwacking 

I'd say the same, not perfect but pretty good all the same

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1981
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/3/2010 2:18:10 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Please stop agreeing with everything I say everywhere.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 1982
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/3/2010 2:33:12 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Eh? Just because I liked the movie when I saw it last Thursday (Feb 25th) doesn't mean I'm agreeing for the sake of it 

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1983
RE: Mini Reviews - 8/3/2010 5:28:00 AM   
wgamador

Moon

Positives
1. Great story. Even when the twist is revealed it engages you even that much more.
2. The sets are really well done. Really helps suspend your imagination.
3. Thought-provoking on so, so , so many levels. This is Sunshine but on a lower budget but higher intellectual level.
4. Sam Rockwell is just amazing. I mean, the skills to pull of what he does is tremendous.
5. Will have you asking yourself, why would they send ONE person on this type of mission.........and will answer your question satisfyingly.
6. Really enjoyed the ending. The consequences of it all left me in hours of thought way after the film had ended.

Negatives
1. Starts out a bit slow and doest have the action most viewers will be looking for.
2. Can be a real mind-f**k so watch it after you've had your vitamins and brain juice.
3. Some of the "science" will be contested by the sci-fi geeks, but you know what, the story and the true message of the film make any miscalculations so very
insignifcant.
4. People are quick to compare this film with others in the genre, but that upsets me because I think after 250,000 years of human kind, there is nothing under the sun or Moon that hasnt already been told.
5. It might be too confusing for some, so watch it alone first so you arent being asked 20 questions throughout the film by your confused friends.

*Final Verdict.............5/5..........

* Enjoyed the way my brain felt throughout the entire movie. I mean, even my eyes were in thought. I have to say that im putting MOON ahead of SUNSHINE on my movie list
because of the sheer simplicity yet brilliance. SUNSHINE is for the action hound, MOON is for the philosopher.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 8/3/2010 7:10:03 AM >

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 1984
RE: Mini Reviews - 8/3/2010 6:55:57 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I still haven't seen Moon

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1985
RE: Mini Reviews - 8/3/2010 7:00:38 AM   
wgamador

Congratulations on your hardware, Kathryn.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1986
RE: Mini Reviews - 8/3/2010 7:02:12 AM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I still haven't seen Moon

My good friend.....you must not wait. It is rewarding.....its almost like time stops for you to soak it in.
And as usual the above review has NO SPOILERS.....so feel free to read it Gimli.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 8/3/2010 7:05:57 AM >

Post #: 1987
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2010 4:15:16 AM   
wgamador

Clash of the Titans (2010)

Positives
1. The upgrade of the special effects.
2. The Kraken
3. I went for free.
4. I love scorpions, so to see the mammoth king scorpions was breathtaking.
5. Locations [green screens] were cool.

Negatives
1. The medusa scenes.....could have it hurt them to put an actor in a costume for the close-ups? The CGI Medusa really made me sick to my stomach.
it was like someone took a video game character and put it in with real actors. This crucial battle with Medusa is so weak that I should have walked out the film. And why did the fucking Ginn (desert character) try to blow Medusa up? What if he blows her head to pieces, then what? So fucking dumb.
2. The camera work was terrible during the fight scenes, most notable during the Scorpion fights. I couldnt make out what the hell was happening. Terrible.
3. How about some character development next time, I mean, what made the original brilliant even with its primitive stop-motion effects, was the story, how we really cared for the characters.
In this remake, i didnt even notice when a good guy died. Just terrible. I mean, the original should have been watched before this was put into production.
4. No real set-ups in transition scenes. We go from one place to the next without much explanation, no scene for our characters to reflect.
5. Did i mention how shitty medusa looked? She looked like one of those AVATAR CGI characters, fucking disappointing.
6. Sam Worthington was so miscast. I mean, Mark Ruffalo would have been a much better choice. Perseus in the 1981 version is a skinny, pale, funny hair, puny bastard. In the remake he looks like a fucking Marine. Terrible. Everytime he came on screen, I wished for Perseus of old.
7. The Kraken was absolutely the only reason why I went to see this, and while he didnt disappoint, the filmmakers botched what should have been a really exceptional moment in the film. What really confused me during the Kraken battle is how the GODS tell the mortals that they must sacrifice the King's daughter or they would release the Kraken to destroy Argos and its inhabitants.
But was it me or didnt the fucking Kraken have a problem with instructions. The princess is tied up for sacrifice all the Kraken had to do was eat the bitch, but he goes on destroying and killing people; i guess the Kraken didnt get the MEMO.
8. This is the first time most young folks today will be exposed to this wonderful story and dont realize that the 1981 version is so much better.
9. ....and could it have hurt the screenwriters not to mention the Kraken from the moment the story begins? I mean, by the time the Kraken comes out, im not even afraid for the people because they talk about his destructive power so much that it aint a surprise when he comes out of the water.
10. Only way this film would have been better was for there to be more KRAKEN. I wouldnt have been surprised to hear a character tell Perseus..."We're going to need a bigger Pegasus."
11. The romance between Andromeda and Perseus is almost non-exsistent, yet ------SPOILER: why did ZEUS give Perseus Andromeda in the end, why not revive what he really LOVED, the reason why he took on the journey from the start.......how about reviving his fucking family?

*Final Verdict...........2/5.............

I was so disappointed with this remake.....it really had few redeeming qualities [insert picture of Kraken here] I know they like to tweak the storyline in these remakes, but you know, in this situation, a scene-for-scene remake would have been so much more effective. They butchered one of my childhood fave films and i hope that when they remake DRAGONSLAYER...they do a better job with the material.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1988
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2010 5:36:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

But was it me or didnt the fucking Kraken have a problem with instructions. The princess is tied up for sacrifice all the Kraken had to do was eat the bitch, but he goes on destroying and killing people; i guess the Kraken didnt get the MEMO.

Yeah, not the best film it could have been. I can't remember the original that much but it did have a charm to it that this one lacked.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1989
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2010 5:36:38 PM   
wgamador

quote:

quote:

Yeah, not the best film it could have been. I can't remember the original that much but it did have a charm to it that this one lacked.

The original is so amazing in its story-telling. Its scary to think that future generations will want films to be like this remake, just a bunch of scenes without any character development. I cared when the good guys died in the original....in this remake all i could think of was, who cleans up after the Kraken when he poops?

Post #: 1990
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/5/2010 1:03:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Made by Ridley Scott.
Robin Hood, is it good? Actually quite a lot.
Starring Russell Crowe, accent wanders to and fro.
Robin Hood. Robin Hood. Robin Hood.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. With the lovely Cate
Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Mark Strong and his shiny pate.
Macfadyen not so hot, Rickman he is not.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Lots and lots of fighting
Robin Hood, not much blood, hence its 12A rating.
Archie Morris from ER, battles in lands afar

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, bad guys are caric'tures.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, but the film it never bores.
The music is quite grand, photography's not bland.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, should there be a sequel?
Robin Hood, yes there should, as this is just a prequel
To the proper story, that we know in all it's glory.

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1991
RE: Mini Reviews - 27/5/2010 6:28:52 PM   
TheSpleen

I can't top the above post so...

THE MEN WHO STARE AT GOATS

Cast with the exception of Ewan Magregor GOOD.

Ewan Magregor BAD.

Post #: 1992
RE: Mini Reviews - 30/5/2010 12:36:49 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Made by Ridley Scott.
Robin Hood, is it good? Actually quite a lot.
Starring Russell Crowe, accent wanders to and fro.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. With the lovely Cate
Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Mark Strong and his shiny pate.
Macfadyen not so hot, Rickman he is not.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood. Lots and lots of fighting
Robin Hood, not much blood, hence its 12A rating.
Archie Morris from ER, battles in lands afar

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, bad guys are caric'tures.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, but the film it never bores.

The music is quite grand, photography's not bland.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood, should there be a sequel?
Robin Hood, yes there should, as this is just a prequel
To the proper story, that we know in all it's glory.

HA!

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 1993
RE: Mini Reviews - 22/6/2010 10:59:27 PM   
Rebel scum

The A-Team

(No Spoilers)

Plot
Oh please, you know this:
In 1972...wait...in 200? a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promtly escaped from a maximum security stockade and...seek revenge on the person who put them there, that's new...

Good
1-Liam Neeson, Sharlto Copley and Bradley Cooper play their characters very well
2-Genuine laughs, not as many as other action films but still enough
3-Follows the spirit,if not the letter of the TV show and is better for it.
4-Some brilliant action scenes, especially in the climax
5-The numerous plans are delightfully daft and fun to watch being pulled off
6-At least one decent twist
7-The iconic theme tune pops up every now and again

Bad
1-Quinton Jackson is not Mr. T, and is nowhere near as awesome
2-The plot that ties all the action together is both flimsy and overly complicated at the same time
3-The camerawork during the set pieces is terrible, apparently holding a shot is overrated now
4-Jessica Biel's character may as well have been called A. Girl, such is her personality
5-At times it's hard to make out just what characters are saying, but this does improve about halfway through for some reason.
6-Girls need not apply, this is very much a manly movie

Overall
The A-Team offers silly fun and a good time, provided your brain is set to sleep mode throughout. It is genuinely entertaining, however, something some blockbusters recently have forgotten about. 

6/10

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 22/6/2010 11:01:49 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1994
RE: Mini Reviews - 9/11/2010 8:20:19 AM   
Bloke from Oz

*BUMP*

Just want to keep this thread alive, as I'm going to post more reviews here later....

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 1995
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/4/2011 2:10:06 PM   
Bloke from Oz

FAST & FURIOUS 5 (2011)

Directed by: Justin Lin

Really, they should just go ahead and rename this franchise Car Wars, because that's exactly what these films look and sound like. Not that it's a bad thing; this film is actually very entertaining.

Picking up where Fast & Furious left off, ex-cop Brian O'Conner (Paul Walker) and his lover, Mia Toretto (Jordana Brewster) break her brother, Dominic (Vin Diesel) out of his prison transport bus and the three of them go on the run, fleeing the United States and ending up in Rio de Janeiro.

It is here they incur the wrath of resident drug lord and corrupt businessman, Reyes (Joaquim de Almeida), when they steal a car which carries a computer chip containing information vital to him. Reyes is the man who virtually runs Rio and has every corrupt official in his hip pocket, and he's gunning for our heroes in a big way.

Also, the U.S. Government has sent its top Federal Agent, Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) to arrest Dominic and Brian and bring them back.

With people on both sides of the law after them, Dominic, Brian and Mia decide to pull off one last job (a heist taking Reyes for $100 million) with the help of some of their old partners in crime, and disappearing to somewhere they cannot be found.

Positives:

-Action, action, action and more action; enough of it to take up two movies.

-A real sense of fun, emotion and humour throughout; the cast and crew bring a palpable level of energy to the production.

-The script is well-written, and fleshes out the characters very nicely.

-Suitably scored with pulse-pounding music and an appropriate hip-hop soundtrack.

-There is a titanic WWF-style smackdown between Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnson, which absolutely must be seen to be believed.

Negatives:

-At over 2 hours, its the longest entry in the franchise to date.

-No Lucas Black!!

FINAL VERDICT:

Having reached the fifth entry in this movie franchise, you might think the filmmakers have run out of steam, and are flogging a dead horse. But no, they have pulled out a real corker of a film. This is the type of movie you would go to see on a Saturday night with a group of friends, all eager for a good time. If you're a fan of the Fast & Furious franchise, go see this film. If you love action movies, you'll be thrilled with this one.

Oh, and do stay for the end credits, as there is a nice cameo from a past Fast & Furious cast member, as well as a bonus surprise.

4/5  or  8/10

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 1996
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/4/2011 7:34:35 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A new review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much more better!

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 1997
RE: Mini Reviews - 20/5/2011 9:26:13 AM   
threshold

Aliens
*****Spoilers*****
In my opinion this is incredibly more effective than its predecessor. While Alien resorted to sharp, quick loud moments to combat the more common quiet, dull, drawn out sequences in an attempt to create fear, Aliens are a high octane ride, which only stops for the audience to recover. Instead of fear, it is the thrill that entertains the audience (which I think is the better of the two). This is possibly the only James Cameron work, which Iíve thoroughly enjoyed and re-watched. James Cameron co-wrote, co-produced and directed this and I think the story is absolutely brilliant.
Instead of making a sequel ď6 months afterĒ or ď6 Months beforeĒ which so many sequels do, this is directly after the events in Alien and the first half and hour or so, you find out how the events on the ship effect Ripley, which was not exactly shown in Alien because all her human comrades werenít there. When she comes back to a human planet and explains what happened people donít believe her, and in a normal thriller, there would be a part of you that starts to doubt the protagonist, but since Ripley (and Sigourney Weaver) is so convincing and likeable, you never doubt her for a second (well at least I didnít).
She then finds out a planet is infested with the same alien species that she and her crew picked up, so she meets with a military squad that are going into the planet to rescue any survivors and kill any of the aliens. Then the action starts, and boy it is amazing. At first there is a serious lack of aliens when they are very prepared, and then aliens come out when they are not prepared at all. The military squad amazingly have personalities compared to the often-compared-to Predator.
A few brilliant ones include a leader who becomes jealous of Ripleyís knowledge but later gets overwhelmed in the first battle and becomes gracious of Ripleyís leadership, and then there is a tough Michelle Rodriguez predecessor, and an arrogant young guy who becomes crazy as he finds out, him and his friends are not invincible. Also along for the ride is a lawyer, who truly goes with the long list of people, who make you hate them no matter what movie they are in (also in that illustrious group is also whoever plays Percy from The Green Mile). All but 3 characters die in gruesome ways and it makes you truly fear for the characters. You especially feel for the motherly relationship between Ripley and Newt, a kid who gets found between rubble in the planet and since Ripley hasnít known anyone properly for about 60 years (itís explained in the movie) she connects with this innocent child and genuinely loves her.
The most powerful scene (out of many Iíll point out) is probably when Burke releases two face-huggers into the medic room where Ripley and Newt are sleeping. I found it the most intense scenes out of the entire film and possibly in any sci-fi movie.

Aliens is simply a scary monster movie, where the main character is more individual than most heroes nowadays, and possibly the only time you care thoroughly for the characters in danger. Obviously if you havenít seen this movie, you must. And there is no need to watch the prequel.
5/5

Post #: 1998
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/6/2011 2:36:27 PM   
gazpop

A review for Aliens? I never thought I'd see one of those again
If I ever have children I will be screening this one the wall so my newborn can waste no time getting into one of the greatest movies of all time!
Right, I'm off to the Aliens thread to re-quote stuff at other Aliens-geeks (Tech-Noir at all)

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 1999
RE: Mini Reviews - 1/8/2011 6:13:07 AM   
threshold

A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004)
Positives:
-The movie (and bookís) dark tone
-Thomas Newmanís quirky, heartfelt, hilarious, thrilling score. There is no emotion he canít convey.
-The insanely good backdrops. I mean seriously, I bet all of you thought the railroad track/shop was a real place didnít you? It is all done with gothic tones and dark, moody colours.
- Jim Carreyís performance, yes it is hammy, but honestly itís his only comedy performance I have loved. His constant obsession with pronouncing surprise as sup-rese, and lovely as love-er-ly is actually intriguing as well as funny. He bounces off the wall and is a fun hiss & boo villain.
-The use of Olaf in the film is aptly done. In a lesser movie, they wouldíve made Olaf to be a terrible, scary, crazy villain. But for once these filmmakers are smart. They know that if the villain is too terrible it will scare off the youngsters (who are the main source of income) the filmmakers decided to make the villain to be crazy, scary, but madcap. His performance, though evil in parts, keeps his comedic side always in check.
-The great cameos, Meryl Streep, Billy Connelly, Cedric the Entertainer, Timothy Spall, and even Dustin Hoffman are either funny, heartfelt or amazing.
-The Train scene.
-The end credits.

Negatives
-The kids acting is almost annoying. It runs to the cliff, but luckily doesnít jump.
-The CGI baby. That was terrible.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 2000
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/8/2011 2:20:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice review, I think Lemony Snicket's a great film. I really wanted more films.

We need more reviews in here.

Much more better!

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 2001
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/8/2011 3:20:08 AM   
threshold

You do another, I'll continue.

Post #: 2002
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/8/2011 3:28:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Any knack I may have had for reviews I seem to have lost. I'll see if any of the films I have lined up for the near future inspire me.

Much more better!

(in reply to threshold)
Post #: 2003
RE: Mini Reviews - 15/8/2011 1:51:00 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I wrote this for another thread. Doesn't quite fit the format for this thread but I'll pop it here as well anyway.

All 8 films.

MASSIVE, HUGE, ENGORGIO-AFLLICTED SPOILERS FOR BOTH BOOKS AND FILMS

Hedwigís theme. A lovely, wistful, twinkly tune that hinted at the wonders of a boy who goes to wizard school. In a decade that saw very few memorable film themes, the John Williamsí tune that graced the trailer for the Philosopherís Stone got me quite excited. This was going to be the fantasy film of 2001. 2000 was the year when I first read Potter, just as the book series was becoming massive, and blasting though the first three books was a joy, so anticipation for the film was high. I saw it and loved. I saw it again and I loved it. A masterpiece. Then Fellowship of the Ring came out and I realised that the first Potter film might not be the best that fantasy could do. But still, I enjoyed it immensely and even bought the dvd when it was released at midnight at the local at Asda (It still has the price label, $15.84. Havenít paid that much for a DVD in ages) And 10 years later, the film is still an immense joy. In taking great scene from the book and reproducing them, quite faithfully, it succeeds admirably. In putting in place an adult cast that is, and would remain, nigh on perfect, it canít be faulted. Rickman, Coltrane and Harris are especially perfect. It might try to be a tad too faithful, and in fact this might be its downfall. And the tone of the film is at odds with what will come later. And sure, the kids arenít great but it creates a believable world and is a fantastic introduction.

November 2002, and the extended Fellowship had left Philosopherís Stone lacking. The Two Towers was the big fantasy film for the winter of 2002. Still, Chamber of Secrets was to be looked forward to and, as with the first one, it put the book on the screen in a straightforward, uncomplicated manner. There was still a sense of magic in the air, a sense of wonderment that came across as we saw the wizard world through Harryís eyes. And Branagh was massive casting success. Superb as Lockhart, An equally impressive piece of casting was for the more important Lucius Malfoy (was he really going to kill Harry in that final scene?), and itís not possible for me to picture anyone but Jason Isaacs in the role. Like the first film, you sense Columbus had no idea in the way the books would play out.

Come summer 2004, and Azkaban had a lot of work to do. The LOTR was trilogy now finished, now established as the greatest thing of all time. Potter had a new director who had to adapt my favourite book of the series; two pivotal roles had to be cast perfectly, Lupin and Sirius being some of the best roles in the series. Luckily, they hit gold with Oldman and Thewlis. And Alfonso Cuaron took to the task of director admirably, the new look for the films working well, and the atmosphere of the book was portrayed exactly as it should. A proper modern mythology was set up in the storylines, book three was just the right mix of happy magic and glum despair, and the film got this just right., It didnít, however, recast Dumbledore correctly. Perhaps, more importantly, Dumbledore was now played entirely differently. Whether this had anything to do with the fact that book 5 was now released, and events had taken a disastrous turn I have no idea, but the twinkly-eyed turn from kindly grandfather Richard Harris was now a much more solemn portrayal from Michael, Gambon. And you couldnít help but watch this film without a hint of sadness, knowing what would occur towards the end of Order of the Phoenix. But it remains a thrilling, superior adaptation.

The book for the Goblet of Fire is probably the weakest of the series. Romance filled the air. Alas, JK Rowling is no Jane Austen. There was that silly little SPEW storyline. But even the main event, The tri-wizard tournament, comes across as a hackneyed contrivance. The film does its best. No spew for a start and the romance is kept to a reasonable minimum, and is actually played with a sense of awkwardness and humour that betters the novel. A new composer with Patrick Doyle gave some of the best music from the franchise. In a film series that now excelled in the casting of their adult characters, Brendan Gleeson proved himself to be a delightful Mad-Eye Moody. And Fiennes, Fiennes is deliciously evil. Watch as he performs the cruciatus curse with glee. Magnificent. Alas, the weakest adult performer also crops up in this film, and no, itís not Trigger. But the main plot still seems a bit silly. Nothing can change that.

The Order of the Phoenix came out just a few weeks prior to the final book. Probably the best child actor in the series came aboard with Evanna Lynch. Imelda Stauntonís portrayal of Umbridge seemed to jump right out of the book. Look at the cast list for this film Ė Besides Staunton we have Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith, Alan Rickman, Robbie Coltrane, Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Gary Oldman, David Thewlis, Brendan Gleeson, Fiona Shaw, Richard Griffiths, Jason Isaacs, Julie Walters, Emma Thompson. Careers filled with acclaim and praise, the talent on display is phenomenal. Alas, with a book so large youíd need the reducto spell to carry it around with you, much of the talent gets precious few seconds on screen, especially when the film is the shortest so far. Some of this trimming is beautiful. The battle in the Ministry of Magic, one of the most long-winded and convoluted sequences in all 7 books, is presented with efficient flair on screen. Some
of the cuts, not so good. Seeing more of how the supposedly angelic James Potter was so not so kind would have been nice. And more of Nevilleís history was needed. In many ways a more interesting character than Harry, with an equally tragic past. Still, as ever, so much to enjoy. But prophecies, man, they bring me down.

Half Blood Price in 2009. A good, solid adaptation, with a momentous conclusion, and one of the best scores. Fine work from Nicholas Hooper. The light-hearted nature of the first two films was now well and truly gone, they might as well have been from a different series altogether, a problem the books also had. By this point, whilst not matching their adult colleagues, the main trio have well and truly made the characters their own. Had Richard Harris been around, I have no idea how he would have played Dumbledore at this point. Heís pretty much a different character. But the end it still sad, and watching it yesterday was the first time, for either films or books, Iíd cried due to Harry Potter, For that I blame LOTR.

By the time part 1 of the Deathly Hallows came out, it had been 3 years since I read the book (in 7 hours on the night it came out), and at least 6 years since Iíd read any of the others. Keeping Yates as a director for the final 4 films made sense. He took the horrific aspect of the books and put them on screen with exhilarating action, oftentimes beautiful visuals, but also kept much of the heart of the characters, and much of this film exemplifies such traits. Yaxley casting spells left, right and centre in the Ministry is a highlight. There are some setbacks though. No more spectral sex, please, and god, that dance is cringe worthy. The tale of the Deathly Hallows (the what you say? Surely, something sooooooo important weíd have heard talk of in the past) is gorgeous. But the film still canít compensate for the fact that the entire fate of the wizarding world is now in the hands of three teenagers. If Voldemort was such a bad ass, youíd think Dumbledore would have given him more help in finding horcruxes. Or sent more adult wizards on the search. Or got help from other countries. The wizard world seems very, very small. I canít remember if I had these questions when I read the book, but I do have them with these later films. In truth, all the films have the odd plot hole that the books probably provided the answer for, but they get bigger as the films go on.

And then Deathly Hallows part 2, watched for the first time about 16 hours ago and Iíve done little but think of it since. The story of a boy who goes to wizard school finally finishes but itís no longer what it once was. I like the fact that a nice tale has become something monumental, vast, and epic, but perhaps itís gone too far in that direction. The stakes were high in LOYTR, but it never felt like apocalyptic doom and gloom, time for to stick your head in the oven. Azkaban had the balance, even Goblet and Phoenix, the last books tipped over the edge. In the film good is great. Fist in the air moment when McGonagall squares off to Snape. The sense of unity during the battle, bringing back big name actors for about 5 seconds of screen time was a coup. But almost all of my problems start with the story and therefore with the book. The cavalier attitude in which character are killed, itĎs box-checking for an emotional response (not helped by the fact you know some of those characters were meant to survive) Dumbledoreís now become a master manipulator, a cunning, devious, blackmailing old swine who doesnít who care who dies and with a plan that seems the very opposite of fool proof. It doesnít make him deeper and more meaningful or add extra dimensions, it makes him a git. The really naff, exposition heavy trip to Kings Cross Station. Killing Snape. No, just no. Turning ultimate bastard dude Snape into a lovelorn, sap. Diddums, Nut up, man. I championed the guy from his first appearance in the books, I knew he was a good guy, I just wish it hadnít been fort such a shit reason. And what with this ďYou have you motherís eyesĒ An invention for the film I think. The Snape I know wouldnít say that. Another change from the book was Nevilleís heroism as he faces Voldemort, itís still there, but different and not quite as meaningful. And lastly, in a massive battle such as this, half of it takes places in lonely corridors with our trio. Itís probably the only Potter film that could really do with being a bit longer, a bit more of the other characters on show.

And then the epilogue, which I donít mind, and then credits. And we have the lovely Hedwigís theme once more, a connection to the very start of the series. You remember Hedwig donít you? That owl that was unceremoniously bumped off for no real reason other than to upset people, apparently because Hedwig was symbolic of Harryís connection to his childhood he had to grow up and be an adult. That reasoning can go and take a running jump. More than anything else in the whole series of books, that moment cheesed me off. At least the film attempted to give some kind of reason. Well, in my mind, Hedwig lives.

And so, it may well seem like I donít like the books and or films all that much. I do. A lot. Itís my love for them that makes me hate the bits I dislike all the more. Some of it I can accept, some of it I canít, and the final two books really ticked me off in many ways. The films canít compensate for that, but they can, for the most part, present these moments in brilliant ways. And the music is awesome, And the cast is sublime. And watching the whole series in the last 5 days, itís impossible not to get completely sucked into the world. I can see myself doing that again in the future. Watch one Potter film, watch them all. I do feel like Iíve watch one long film. But I am still left scratching my head over god know how many plot strands, mainly from Phoenix onwards. Time to reread the books I think. And get annoyed again. But Iíll certainly be picturing Rickman, Smith, Isaacs et all when I do.

So, placing them in order. 4/5 each.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Order of The Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Much more better!

Post #: 2004
RE: Mini Reviews - 15/8/2011 3:56:00 PM   
gazpop

Now THAT is what I call a review. I've only seen 1 of the films so I couldn't risk spoiler-ing it all up. But that looks like a proper job there Gimmers, bravo!

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

Post #: 2005
RE: Mini Reviews - 20/2/2012 1:52:10 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Going back to basics in an attempt to get this thread going again

Good:
- Gollum. I mean Andy Serkis
- The rest of the cast (mostly)
- The cameos from famous people
- Some genuinely funny jokes
- Tim Curry's introduction

Bad:
- Isla Fisher
- Isla Fisher's accent
- Isla Fisher's storyline
- Isla Fisher
- Not enough Bill Bailey

Much more better!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 2006
RE: Mini Reviews - 20/2/2012 12:41:56 PM   
gazpop

Isla Fisher, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Post #: 2007
RE: Mini Reviews - 21/2/2012 5:33:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Not a great actress though

Much more better!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 2008
RE: Mini Reviews - 21/2/2012 12:53:55 PM   
gazpop

there's a point in there somwhere....

Post #: 2009
RE: Mini Reviews - 11/3/2012 6:00:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Time for another review, This one's a sensational, inspirational, celebrational, Muppetational one.

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN! AND IF YOU HAVEN'T THEN THIS CLIP SAYS IT ALL - http://www.hark.com/clips/pllndlzxqb-shame-on-you

The Good Stuff

- It's The Muppets! Muppets are always good. Even the Muppets Wizard Of Oz had some good bits!
- The "getting back together" montage! Brilliant. I particularly loved Sam eag'e news report "Everything stinks". That's just genius. Also great was Rowlf's upset that he wasn't included in the montage. and let's not forget poor old Beaker.
- Muppet man!
- Miss Piggy's reaction to seeing Kermit. "Kermieeeee! Kissy kissy!"
- Life's A Happy song
- The songs in general were pretty damn good. And because they were, Figwit now has an Oscar!
- Muppet cameos galore! I lost count of how many of teh lesser known Muppets appeared, but some of my all-time favourite from the show made popped up. Bobo, Thog, Yolanda, Behemoth, Marvin Suggs and Lips to name just a few.
- A big role for Uncle Deadly!
- The recreation of the Muppet show titles was a brilliant move, as was staging the show all over again. One of the great elements of the original show was the sketch show aspect, and having the gang reassemble brought a little bit of that aspect back. Camilla and the Chickens were superb, but even better was the Barbershop quartet. Sam, Chef, Rowlf and Beaker singing Smells Like teen Spirit. They did a better job than Nirvana!
- Alan Arkin, Neil Patrick Harris and Jim Parsons
- "In control"
- The Moopets. Poor old Fozzie!
- So much more

The Not So Good

- A bit too sentimental at times. All the films have their moments of sappinesss, something that the show never needed, and this had a few pass the sick bucket moments
- Me Party and Let's Talk About Me. The only bad songs in the film, I could've done without them.
- The human cameos. All of the Muppet cameos were great. Almost all of the human cameos were pointless. And could they not have found someone better than Jack Black?
- Not enough Beaker!
- Not enough Bunsen!
- Not enough Swedish Chef!
- Not enough Rowlf!
- Not enough Sweetums!
- Not enough Statler and Waldorf!
- More Muppets, fewer Humans needed!

Overall

I can't quite give it top marks but I'm almost certain I will when I see it again. It was supremely good fun and perfect a lot of the time. Their are moments of true genius in this. Their best since Christmas Carol, and probably the third best Muppet film overall. Now if their next film could be a feature length edition of the Muppet Show, that would be fantastic in more ways than are possible - 4.9/5

Much more better!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 2010
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 66 [67] 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  64 65 66 [67] 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI