Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mini Reviews

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/6/2009 10:43:58 AM   
Bloke from Oz

TERMINATOR SALVATION (2009)

Directed by: Joseph McGinty Nichol (McG)

After three films promising a "future war" with the human race battling menacing robots of all shapes and sizes, the newest entry in this movie franchise finally comes up with the goods.

The year is 2018, the human race is struggling to survive after the nuclear war, and a now-adult John Connor (Christian Bale) is well and truly involved in his fight against his long-time foe, Skynet, the super-computer in control of the metallic nasties.

Entering into this scene is the mysterious Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), who happens to come across a young Kyle Reese in war-torn Los Angeles. The two are captured by Hunter-Killers - to be sent to the major Skynet HQ - but Wright manages to escape. Connor is anxious to participate in a major operation by the human resistance which would see many Skynet bases attacked (and destroyed) simultaneously, but when he learns of Kyle's fate, he is willing to put his orders on hold to secure the young man's release. For this he must turn to Wright for help - a prospect he does not particularly relish.

Positives:

-Lots of thrilling action scenes
-Impressive visual FX
-Good acting for this type of film
-The whole film is very fun to watch
-Terminator fans will have a real treat towards the climax

Negatives:

-Danny Elfman does not utilise Brad Fiedel's terrific original score
-Christian Bale does not receive as much screen time as we would have hoped

FINAL VERDICT:

The fourth installment in this now 25-year-old movie franchise gives fans what they crave for - lots of action, explosions, impressive visual effects shots, and even good acting. Writers John Brancato and Michael Ferris - who also penned the woeful Terminator 3 - redeem themselves here by bringing new dynamics to the franchise, and breathing fresh air into an all-too-familiar scenario. Those who wondered whether director McG could have pulled this off need only take a trip to the cinema; he has come up with a film for both franchise fans and general movie buffs alike.

After 25 years, there is still some wonderful magic in these films.

4/5   or   8/10

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1951
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/6/2009 2:33:54 PM   
wgamador

Nice------- Bloke from Oz! That was a fantastic read.

Awards Ceremony will be back. I promise.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 1952
RE: Mini Reviews - 2/7/2009 8:35:11 PM   
themightyhutch

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN VS TERMINATOR SALVATION

SPOILERS

So basically i'm going to try something different here, i'll compare the films as they are very similar and see what I come up with.

The Plot

Now usually you would say that with these sorts of films there isn't much, and in the case of Transformers there isn't one. Something about a Matrix of Leadership of something, it came so late in the game that I had stopped caring. The plot doesn't come into play much until very near the end and is just used to have an excuse for that final scene. It's rubbish. Compare that however to Terminator and you have a much more polished film in that respect. Whilst it isn't great, for a summer film it is actually quite good. It has a clear defined plot, without any double twists and I like that, it doesn't try to twist the plot any more than it needs to. Infact you know what the story wants to do very soon into the film, which can't be said about Transformers. However the first and last 5 minutes of the film are very very silly.

Point 1 for Terminator

The Acting

I would like to say that it was a close game, but apart from the magnificent John Tuturro and Shia TheBeef, Transformers doesn't really have much. The voice acting is good, but well there isn't much you can do with it. Terminator trumps this on so many levels, and whilst Christian Bale is Christian Bale, kudos must be given to Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin who put briliant performances in here. Common and Bryce Dallas Howard put in good performances also however they aren't used very much, and suprisingly Moon Bloodgood is quite good despite name and the face that i've never heard of her.

Point 2 to Terminator.

Visuals

Termintor has a lot of great visuals here, really showing off the bleak wasteland of America, and somehow it just seemed quite real the way it looked. I don't know if it was using the sunlight, but it was just ruined and derilict and visable that it was believeable. Transformers does pretty much everything that every other film from hollywood does and just can't compare.

3rd point for Terminator.

Effects

Very tight here, both have great effects, but nothing can really compare to the Transfomers. More work has been done on making the transformations better and it really shows. It looks superb. Terminator is also very good, with the different terminators but it can't really compare to the briliance of Transformers.

First point to Transformers.

Action

Both have epic action sequences, and whilst Transformers concentrates more on the action than the plot, it is actually weaker than the Terminator sequences. In Salvation, the action is much more focused. The scenes themselves may not be as big as Transformers, but when a punch is thrown, it looks like it hits, and hard. In Transformers you never feel that much in danger, but with Terminator it feels like things might just go wrong.

Another Point for Terminator.

Direction

Bay is short and sharp and it's dificult to see what is going on, whilst McG takes a little more time and it works more.

Terminator Wins Again.

The Bad Guys

Whilst The Fallen doesn't really get a look in his own film, Megatron does really own this shit. It sort of defeats the point, but he is still a very strong Villain. Terminator doesn't really have many villains. It has the generic terminators, and whilst each of them are different and creative, they are simply grunts leading towards a big bad boss that only sort of arrives. Selena is for the most part crap, and can't really be classed as a bad guy, and whilst the T-800 at the end (and big points for the arnie cameo that was actually good and didn't seem tacky) was a great foe, there wasn't much build up for him.

Transformers gets another.

Terminator Salvation 5 - 2 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Verdict

Well as you can see Terminator wipes the floor with Transformers. Transformers was fun but ultimately lacked any sustinance, which Terminator successfully delivers. McG was bold to not go down the Terminator chasing one of the Conners (infact before I forget Sarah Conners "Cameo" was very well placed and very well worked), and instead go for a full on war. I wished there were some "pew pew" guns but sadly there weren't. Terminator, whilst I expected it to be bad, ended up being quite good and Transformers which I hoped to be good ended up being rubbish.

Terminator Salvation - 77%

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 51%

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1953
RE: Mini Reviews - 3/8/2009 7:27:32 PM   
themightyhutch

So I guess I won July then.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 1954
RE: Mini Reviews - 4/8/2009 4:40:29 AM   
wgamador

aww man you makin me feel bad.
Good news is that I have internet access at home again so reviving the thread is
just a quiet day at home away.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 1955
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/8/2009 3:19:06 AM   
wgamador

April - July '09

The Wags apologizes for his hiatus on this thread. I have sinned.
But we are back with internet access at home and the whole thing.
I hope you all come back and share your reviews once again.
I have also seen other "mini" reviews around the other movie threads (that have caught my eyes) and when the thread is slow or (when it's not), I will PM those posters and ask permission to post their reviews here.

Thank you all who have posted in the last few months.

MAY: TheMightyHutch and HomerSimpson_Esq.............Page 64-65

WOLVERINE

SPOILERS LIKE A BEAR...OR MAYBE A WOLVERINE

Good

The actors are on fine form here. All of them. I couldn't think of any of them that did a bad performance. Hell even Will.I.Am proved to actually be quite good. However they aren't in it enough.

If i'm honest Jackman, Schreiber and Huston need their own point about their performances. Really got into the roles, and I really enjoyed them in it.

The action, dare I say it, is pretty darn good. It comes thick and fast, and it hugely enjoyable.

The opening credit sequence is very well done, however it looked very interesting and wished there was more depth to it.

Lots of nice little Marvel nods in there. I like.

The helicopter scene is terrificly done.

Interesting ideas that take the origin story to a different level, with Weapon XI and "Deadpool".

It tries some nice different things to usual. Sure it doesn't work quite as well as it wants to, but the effort is seen.

Bad

Okay okay I'm giving it a lot of undeserved credit there. There is a lot wrong with it, yet not enough for me to want to stab my eyes after it.

Firstly, this is case of too many cooks spoiling a really good potential broth. The film actually suffers from trying too hard. It sounds weird, but with too many characters, it means that their overall time on screen is shortened. Reynolds was superb for his 5 minutes on screen, Durand was suprisingly good as the Blob, as was Kitsch as Gambit, and of course Monaghan was as always on top form as Bolt, but they suffered from being a tiny piece in a big picture. I know it's about Wolverine, but these are fan favourites, just coming on screen for a quick hello and then buggering off again. Almost makes you wonder why big named people took the roles.

The film suffers from too much action as well. It's good, but there is no depth to the characters. I think X2 spoiled that for us.

The use of Weapon XI and Deadpool in his future spinoff is just going to be confusing.

I didn't really feel that much for the characters, because there wasn't enough interaction. Things just seemed to happen.

Adamantium Bullet. Nuff Said.

Was there actually any added footage from the work print?

Overall

This is the start to the summer season, and it isn't a bad one. It isn't fantastic, and its no X2 or even X-Men, but it's still a solid comic book movie. It's a shame that so much potential was there, yet they still managed to screw up the end game. It's good, watchable and a lot of fun, but if you wanted more depth you will be disapointed.

73%
-----------------------

Star Trek
Abrams, 2009

"Pre-credits sequence..."

I've long been a fan of Star Trek. Note the wording - I'm not a 'Trekkie' in the dress-up, speak-Klingon, all-out fan which was so perfectly spoofed in 1999's Galaxy Quest. I'm your regular watched-most-of-the-series kind of fan. I grew up watching the re-re-re-re-re...re-runs of the Original Series, and my parents had them all on VHS, recorded off 'telly. I also watched most of the Next Generation series, all of Deep Space 9, all but the final episode of Voyager (that was frustrating), and the first handful of episodes of Enterprise. I've also seen the films countless times (the Original Series films, that is), not least all six in one crazy, exhausting day last week... So when I heard they were making a prequel of sorts, I was excited. I was a little uncertain on some of the casting choices (the Rohan dude off the Rings trilogy as Bones??) unsure as to how it'd fit into the 'canon', but more excited than trepidatious. What, then, did I make of this new incarnation, boldly going where no series had gone before (got that one out of the way nice and early...)? My insights run deep. Let me share them with you...

"Illogical"

I'll start off with my impressions of where the film goes wrong. Necessarily, this will be in invisiotext. Vulcan! They blew it up! Damn them all to hell. It changes something that is so absolutely essential. It's the Trek universe, Jim, but not as we know it. The Vulcan-Romulan conflict is something that is used to explore (as is always the case with Trek) human aspects, and it does so very well. Without that divide, that eternal conflict, that route is gone. It does open up a whole new direction into which to go boldly (split infinitives are so 23rd century), but I can't help but feel that it is a major change that perhaps could have been avoided.

Time travel has been at the centre of two of the best Trek films - The Voyage Home and First Contact. Time travel films come with their own set of peculiarities and each abides by different rules. I'm not going to try and be logical (!) about this, but it does seem that even on a basic level once the past has changed, the future changes around them. Nimoy-Spock should disappear. However, I'm willing to accept that since Nimoy-Spock was out of his own timeline, that he was somehow immune to the effects of history changing. After all, Doc and Marty were immune, being as they were in 2015 when old Biff went back to 1955 to give himself the Grey's Sports Almanack. They didn't disappear either, so I'll accept it in this film too.

Finally, it's highly, highly unlikely that a cadet would graduate directly to captain. The only allowance I can make to justify it to myself is that drastic times call for drastic measures. Still... Other than those three points, I couldn't really fault the film in any major way. Minor niggles I'll mention in the main body of the review below.

"Fascinating"

Much has been made of the fact that this film is made for those who are not Star Trek fans. I feel that much of that side of the publicity is really to overcome the whole Star Trek = For Geeks stigma that it seems to have attached to it. Which is unfair really, and by and large untrue. For while there is much that non-Star Trek fans will enjoy, as a fan I loved it. I loved it as a film fan, and I loved it as a Trek fan. This, Mr Lucas, is how you do prequels. Exciting, breathless, but with a sense not only of the import of certain key scenes, but also of wonder and marvel at it all. To pinpoint a few Trek-moments: We see the Enterprise half-built; we learn why Bones is called Bones; we learn Uhura's first name; we see Kirk beating the infamous Kobayashi Maru test; we see who actually created the test itself; we even get a reference to Kirk's allergy to a particular medicine that is mentioned in one really obvious throwaway line in one of the Original Series films (after last week they've all sort of blurred into one big film). These moments are thrown into the film like dilithium crystals powering a warp drive: the film will work fine without them, but with them it takes it to a whole new warp factor.

This is a different Enterprise. Chekov is there already, as is Uhura. Pike, while Captain with Spock as Commander, has a different destiny. (For the non-Trek fans, Captain Pike appeared in the pilot episode of the Original Series and was never seen again. In fact, the only main cast member who was retained from that pilot was a certain Mr Spock...) The inter-character relationships are different - significantly so in one particular case. Others start off differently ('I don't know, but I like him!') but balance is restored eventually ('green-blooded hobgoblin').

Michael Giacchino's music is, as ever, stunning. It manages to be entirely new, yet still familiar. Only once do we get those four distinct notes that precede the 'Space...the final frontier' title speech, before the end credits themselves. The rest of the time the music twists, turns, and plays around a memorable theme (I've been whistling it on and off since I watched it first last Friday) that is both ethereal, and full of pomp, depending on what is being used to play it on.

A note on the acting. Kudos must go to Quinto and Urban. Both have their performances down to an eeriely accurate tee. Pine is admirable as Kirk, but his performance is more individual. Gone. Are the. Mannered. Speech patterns. Remaining is the interplay between him and Spock - sparks fly, blows exchanged - and Bones - a friendship is nurtured. Pegg as Scotty is surprisingly fresh. I'm waiting for the weight to be added and a moustache to be grown for the inevitable sequel. Yelchin as Chekov provides both a) a realistic Russian character and b) classic dialogue-related comic relief on a par with 'Nuclear wessels'. Cho as Sulu brings the kick-ass, no-nonsense character that Sulu embodies. He also gets the coolest weapon this side of a light-saber. Saldana as Uhura brings a humanity and grit to what was never a particularly memorable character for me. In fact the whole main cast has been fleshed out with distinct personalities and interplay which makes the whole film far more satisfying than you might expect. The success of this film rests, not on the space battle effects, but on the relationships, human or otherwise, at the centre.

Which is not to say that the effects are not awesome. They are. More remarkable still is the success with which the design team have managed to both retain the look and feel of the original Enterprise, with its stark, white, 60s styling, but made it look realistic and workable and....cool... The engineering deck looks like it could actually work - it is teeming with people, and is grubby. Yet the bridge remains bright and crisp - albeit with the rows of lights and buttons replaced with floor to ceiling glass display screens. We see the Enterprise from angles never dreamed of in the 60s. (In one brilliant maneouvre Pike orders for the Enterprise to go below some space debris. They never went below anything in the TV series! Space was almost always just 2D with the Enterprise going to the left or right!)

There are those who will insist that Star Trek is uncool, that it is for geeks, that they're really not excited about seeing this film, that they might get round to it. They're wrong, they should be excited, and they should get round to it now. It's a fine line to tread between satisfying the fans, and appealing to the masses. But somehow, Abrams has done it. Sure there's the odd clunky line of dialogue (but where would Trek be without that?) the odd story hiccup. But for the vast majority of the film, it's a treat. A dilithium crystal-encrusted treat.

"Report"

The Acting - 8/10: as mentioned above almost everyone excels themselves. Bana is given precious little to do, but Quinto and Urban revel in their parts. Quinto and Saldana have real chemistry and their scenes are intensely real.
The Sound - 9/10: I really did like the music. Striking, emotional, and with a nice new rendition of the classic Original Series theme too.
The Look - 9/10: They've really managed to get the balance between workable future and recognisable style from the Original Series. It's where Enterprise failed (one of the places anyway) - it just looked too cool to precede the Original Series. This, however, while still very much a futuristic world, is recognisable as the one from the Original Series.
The Story - 7/10: This is where it loses most points, as highlighted above. It gets most of the points back on merit of those little Trek-moments, and by merit of the story as a whole working. There are still issues with it tho.
Success of Intent - 10/10: It was to be. In terms of making a film for both fans and non-fans alike, I struggle to think how they might have done it any different.
Overall - 43/50, or:

-------------------------------------

JUNE: Bloke from Oz ..............Page 66

TERMINATOR SALVATION (2009)

Directed by: Joseph McGinty Nichol (McG)

After three films promising a "future war" with the human race battling menacing robots of all shapes and sizes, the newest entry in this movie franchise finally comes up with the goods.

The year is 2018, the human race is struggling to survive after the nuclear war, and a now-adult John Connor (Christian Bale) is well and truly involved in his fight against his long-time foe, Skynet, the super-computer in control of the metallic nasties.

Entering into this scene is the mysterious Marcus Wright (Sam Worthington), who happens to come across a young Kyle Reese in war-torn Los Angeles. The two are captured by Hunter-Killers - to be sent to the major Skynet HQ - but Wright manages to escape. Connor is anxious to participate in a major operation by the human resistance which would see many Skynet bases attacked (and destroyed) simultaneously, but when he learns of Kyle's fate, he is willing to put his orders on hold to secure the young man's release. For this he must turn to Wright for help - a prospect he does not particularly relish.

Positives:

-Lots of thrilling action scenes
-Impressive visual FX
-Good acting for this type of film
-The whole film is very fun to watch
-Terminator fans will have a real treat towards the climax

Negatives:

-Danny Elfman does not utilise Brad Fiedel's terrific original score
-Christian Bale does not receive as much screen time as we would have hoped

FINAL VERDICT:

The fourth installment in this now 25-year-old movie franchise gives fans what they crave for - lots of action, explosions, impressive visual effects shots, and even good acting. Writers John Brancato and Michael Ferris - who also penned the woeful Terminator 3 - redeem themselves here by bringing new dynamics to the franchise, and breathing fresh air into an all-too-familiar scenario. Those who wondered whether director McG could have pulled this off need only take a trip to the cinema; he has come up with a film for both franchise fans and general movie buffs alike.

After 25 years, there is still some wonderful magic in these films.

4/5 or 8/10
-----------------------------------------------------------------

JULY: TheMightyHutch........Page 66

TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN VS TERMINATOR SALVATION

SPOILERS

So basically i'm going to try something different here, i'll compare the films as they are very similar and see what I come up with.

The Plot

Now usually you would say that with these sorts of films there isn't much, and in the case of Transformers there isn't one. Something about a Matrix of Leadership of something, it came so late in the game that I had stopped caring. The plot doesn't come into play much until very near the end and is just used to have an excuse for that final scene. It's rubbish. Compare that however to Terminator and you have a much more polished film in that respect. Whilst it isn't great, for a summer film it is actually quite good. It has a clear defined plot, without any double twists and I like that, it doesn't try to twist the plot any more than it needs to. Infact you know what the story wants to do very soon into the film, which can't be said about Transformers. However the first and last 5 minutes of the film are very very silly.

Point 1 for Terminator

The Acting

I would like to say that it was a close game, but apart from the magnificent John Tuturro and Shia TheBeef, Transformers doesn't really have much. The voice acting is good, but well there isn't much you can do with it. Terminator trumps this on so many levels, and whilst Christian Bale is Christian Bale, kudos must be given to Sam Worthington and Anton Yelchin who put briliant performances in here. Common and Bryce Dallas Howard put in good performances also however they aren't used very much, and suprisingly Moon Bloodgood is quite good despite name and the face that i've never heard of her.

Point 2 to Terminator.

Visuals

Termintor has a lot of great visuals here, really showing off the bleak wasteland of America, and somehow it just seemed quite real the way it looked. I don't know if it was using the sunlight, but it was just ruined and derilict and visable that it was believeable. Transformers does pretty much everything that every other film from hollywood does and just can't compare.

3rd point for Terminator.

Effects

Very tight here, both have great effects, but nothing can really compare to the Transfomers. More work has been done on making the transformations better and it really shows. It looks superb. Terminator is also very good, with the different terminators but it can't really compare to the briliance of Transformers.

First point to Transformers.

Action

Both have epic action sequences, and whilst Transformers concentrates more on the action than the plot, it is actually weaker than the Terminator sequences. In Salvation, the action is much more focused. The scenes themselves may not be as big as Transformers, but when a punch is thrown, it looks like it hits, and hard. In Transformers you never feel that much in danger, but with Terminator it feels like things might just go wrong.

Another Point for Terminator.

Direction

Bay is short and sharp and it's dificult to see what is going on, whilst McG takes a little more time and it works more.

Terminator Wins Again.

The Bad Guys

Whilst The Fallen doesn't really get a look in his own film, Megatron does really own this shit. It sort of defeats the point, but he is still a very strong Villain. Terminator doesn't really have many villains. It has the generic terminators, and whilst each of them are different and creative, they are simply grunts leading towards a big bad boss that only sort of arrives. Selena is for the most part crap, and can't really be classed as a bad guy, and whilst the T-800 at the end (and big points for the arnie cameo that was actually good and didn't seem tacky) was a great foe, there wasn't much build up for him.

Transformers gets another.

Terminator Salvation 5 - 2 Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Verdict

Well as you can see Terminator wipes the floor with Transformers. Transformers was fun but ultimately lacked any sustinance, which Terminator successfully delivers. McG was bold to not go down the Terminator chasing one of the Conners (infact before I forget Sarah Conners "Cameo" was very well placed and very well worked), and instead go for a full on war. I wished there were some "pew pew" guns but sadly there weren't. Terminator, whilst I expected it to be bad, ended up being quite good and Transformers which I hoped to be good ended up being rubbish.

Terminator Salvation - 77%

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 51%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent reviews by everyone.
Thank you all who have stopped by over the months to post or just read.
REMEMBER: Its always a GREAT idea to COPY your post before submitting it, because as many of us have learned, sometimes you get "timed-out" and you lose all the HARD WORK. It really is disheartening.

Mini-Review thread is back, I hope you will too.

CHEERS!

Post #: 1956
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/8/2009 4:23:52 AM   
wgamador

Dog Soldiers

Positives
1. Excellent werewolf costumes. The film was worth watching just to get to see them.
2. Liked the setting of the house in the woods especially when compared to the cheesy hollywood sets found in films like "When a Stranger Calls remake"
3. Flexes some British film horror muscles.
4. I enjoyed all the kills. The violence and gore really suit the film.
5. One of the best werewolves movies Ive seen.
6. Cool concept. Having the military fu(k with nature is most definately relevant today.

Negatives
1. The first half really keeps you guessing and intrigued but then becomes predictable for any serious film fan.
2. The first half really makes you care for the soldiers but towards the end, I just wanted all of them to die.
3. The one real thing that burned my biscuit was some continuity issues with the werewolves superhuman strength. It seemed that in one scene they can rip metal and in others a few simple wooden boards on a window are almost inpenetrable, then some of the hand-to-hand battles were bad. If hit by one of these werewolves its almost certain that a man would not just go flying across the room, but would also have his face fractured, considering the strength they demonstrate early on.
Perhaps I missed dialogue that explained why the werewolves became "weaker" as daylight approached, but I dont recall that moment in the film.

*Final Verdict..........3/5.........

* A little outdated and low-budget, but a real cool werewolf movie at it's core.
Definately check it out. Early Marshall scares...almost as good as you find in The Descent, Tech Noir excluded.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 5/8/2009 4:43:48 AM >

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1957
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 5/8/2009 4:55:27 AM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: *Jack of all Trades*

...And Justice For All

Postive points
  • Al Pacino
  • Al Pacino
  • Al Pacino
  • Tackles an important issue - corruption in the justice system
  • Jeffrey Tambor!
  • The seriousness of the subject was relieved with some light humour

Negatives
  • Silly woman with perm

Overall - * * * * *

Dissecting Pacino's perfomance

Sad face!

- Sadder face!

- Ooh, getting angry face!

- Ooh, very angry face!

- Awwww!!!

Ahem. And that concludes my lecture on Pacino's perfomance in this film.

Classic!!!!!

(in reply to *Jack of all Trades*)
Post #: 1958
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 5/8/2009 5:03:32 AM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Dog Soldiers

Posatives +
- the action scenes are awseome
- the werewolfs look quality
- some great dialogue......"COME ON 'AVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR 'ARD ENOUGH!!!"
- a nice twist at the end, that I didn't see coming first time round
Negatives -
- the camera work is a bit shit sometimes
- it's sometimes hard hear what the main guys are saying
- thats about it realy
overall -

Well well well, look what I found.
Zaphod had a mini-review back in 2006!

Zaphod....come back to us.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1959
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 5/8/2009 10:44:50 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Woo, congrats to all! 

Watch out for a special mini review soon

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1960
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 6/8/2009 4:43:13 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Ah, the memories. Jack's review always makes me laugh

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1961
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 6/8/2009 9:40:36 AM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Dog Soldiers

Posatives +
- the action scenes are awseome
- the werewolfs look quality
- some great dialogue......"COME ON 'AVE A GO IF YOU THINK YOUR 'ARD ENOUGH!!!"
- a nice twist at the end, that I didn't see coming first time round
Negatives -
- the camera work is a bit shit sometimes
- it's sometimes hard hear what the main guys are saying
- thats about it realy
overall -

Well well well, look what I found.
Zaphod had a mini-review back in 2006!

Zaphod....come back to us.

Those were the days, I just really don't have the passion to consistently write reviews anymore, and when I do nobody really even notices. But do review a film every Monday on this youtube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/theReelDVDWatchers so check that out.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1962
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 6/8/2009 6:14:31 PM   
wgamador

cool. Just subscribed. Woooooooooo!!!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 1963
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 7/8/2009 4:57:34 AM   
wgamador

Coming Soon.....Absolutely No Spoilers.....

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1964
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 7/8/2009 10:39:54 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

Coming Soon.....The Mini-reviews award for 2008

Great news

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1965
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 8/8/2009 7:05:28 PM   
wgamador

Are you referring to Review of the Year 2008 ?

I know I suck. But I have access at home now, so its only a matter of time.

Post #: 1966
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 2/9/2009 10:45:14 AM   
matthewforan

I miss this thread I promise to start up again soon.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1967
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 2/9/2009 2:23:31 PM   
wgamador

Me too.
Just hadnt made time for movie viewing as of late. Probably thanks to the PS3 online and NFL football is back, well pre-season anyways.

Just hitting a dry patch with my dvd viewings, etc...

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1968
RE: Mini-Reviews....Woooo! - 4/9/2009 6:03:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

True, it's been very slow recently, but that's happened before. Once a lot on the original posters stopped, it was quiet for ages, before the likes of Piles and Homer came along. Now they've stopped as well. We'll get them back. Bribery and blackmail, that's the key!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1969
RE: Mini Reviews - 23/10/2009 5:54:53 PM   
wgamador

Paranormal Activity

Positives
1. Really like this style of film.....video found after a tragic event.....like Blair Witch, Cloverfield, The Last Broadcast, etc...
2. Had its moments of anxiously good fun. As you see the camera's clock get closer to the hours of 'activity'.
3. As a fan of all the paranormal and Ghost Hunting shows on TV, this was right up my alley as far as the "scares".
4. Liked that this Director spent $11,000 and the film has generated $20 Million in the USA. Gives aspiring directors hope.
5. Great atmosphere throughout (although my experience was ruined by the many folks talking during the movie...more in my Negatives about this...)
6. I really love the paranormal and the thought of possession, demons, and ghosts really gets my heart beating, this film satisfied me in that fashion.
7. Some really creepy moments not as many 'scary' moments. I would not call it a "scary" movie , its more of a "creepy" movie.......our minds we imagine what that (Demon) is...... And that is powerful!!!!!
8. More tense than the Blair Witch Project even though there are far less locations......
9. The Attic scene was really good and extra tense and the ending was good from the standpoint that I heard men shriek. LOL.
10. The psychic's second visit was hilarious really serves as a needed distraction at that point.

Negatives
1. The film is overhyped as really scary....i guess if its your first time hearing about demons or EVP's or never seen a ghost hunter show, you might be really scared. But its NOT scarier than The Exorcist, mainly because you get to 'see' more.
2. There are moments where it drags along, when more creepy stuff should have been happening.
3. Really saw the end coming from miles away.
4. If you have a limited imagination and need to see monsters, knives, blood and gore, then you wont like this at all. 90% of this film comes from your own mind so go equipped.
5. Don't go to a busy showtime as you may come across kids who wont shut up throughout the film. My experience was totally ruined by the amount of people talking throughout the film. I guess it was a way for them not to be scared and comedy helps defuse tension. But thats the point of this type of movie, to mess with your mind. To make your imagination conjure scary images and thoughts. The group of kids behind me had one kid who was so overreactive to everything on screen and at some points even told his friends what was coming.........WTF!!!!
6. The acting wasnt great and some details like the Ouija Board for example, why didnt they freak out more about what they saw happen to the Board? But i guess since the premise is that we are watching the footage the police found of the couple trying to catch the Demon, not every moment found in footage would be played.

* Final Verdict........4/5........

I'll give this film such a high rating because I like this type of stuff. The paranormal facinates me. My imagination ran WILD!!! and I would have been more immersed had those idiots not been in the theatre talking throughout the film. I cant wait to get the Blu-Ray when it is released.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 23/10/2009 5:59:47 PM >

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 1970
RE: Mini Reviews - 23/10/2009 11:07:08 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Blimey! A new review! And I don't want to read it because I haven't seen the film

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1971
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/10/2009 3:21:25 PM   
bubs

Ah I miss reviewing  I hope to make a fiery comeback! 

"Shake it once, shake it twice! A' give me a little bit of sugar spice!"- Bubs

Forza Juve

"Who Watches The Watchmen?"

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint
3. Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
4. Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
5. Laughing Stock - Talk Talk

My DVD's: http://perrin-bubs-f-rch.dvdaf.com/owned

Post #: 1972
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/10/2009 3:24:52 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: bubs

Ah I miss reviewing  I hope to make a fiery comeback! 

BUBS!!!

Missed you !! Where you been?
U still in Jo' Berg?
Are you excited about the WORLD CUP coming to your HOMETOWN!!

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 1973
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/10/2009 3:29:37 PM   
bubs

Brother man WAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ah I am superb man been out for a while due to my computer being absolutely screwed. But she has been revived and I plan to make a return! Hell I'm kinda doing it now  I am still in Joburg! And yes I am rather stoked! Working as a waitor in the VIP boxes so yeah!  How you been man?

Forza Juve

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1974
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/10/2009 3:34:17 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: bubs

Brother man WAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Ah I am superb man been out for a while due to my computer being absolutely screwed. But she has been revived and I plan to make a return! Hell I'm kinda doing it now  I am still in Joburg! And yes I am rather stoked! Working as a waitor in the VIP boxes so yeah!  How you been man?

How awesome is that!!! Working the World Cup VIP boxes!
Man, who has it better than you right now? That should make u popular with the ladies!!
Wooooooooooo!!

Me, im doin good. Just working and stuff.
Im very glad you are doing well. You have made my day. Catch you around!
Are you starting a BLOG for your WORLD CUP experience?
U better!!!

(in reply to bubs)
Post #: 1975
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/10/2009 3:44:23 PM   
bubs

Good to see you're doing well too my man! Ah please I already am popular with the ladies  Oh yes I am starting a music and film review blog soon so that will also be thrown in the mix  Have a rad one homeslice keep on keepin'!

Forza Juve

"I'm Learnding"

Top 5 Favourite Albums:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Spiderland - Slint

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1976
RE: Mini Reviews - 24/1/2010 8:15:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A brief, quite naff review here and I only did it because I'm really hoping that a first page place will get people in here again.

Postives

Robert Downey Jr. I've always liked him (well, since I first saw Chaplin at least). He reminds me a lot of Johnny Depp, a very watchable actor, who entertains while doing his job, and this in one of his most fun roles. He'll never be considered the best Holmes, but it's hard to imagine anyone else in this take on the character.

Jude Law. It's not often you get to praise him but he's very good here. Scientific fact, Jude Law acts better with a moustache!

Mark Strong! Boo hiss all the way!

Hams Zimmer's score. I'm quite the fan of Zimmer so I always like seeing what he comes up with next. It's not as obviously Zimmer-y as others, but there's a bit of The Dark Knight and some At World's End to be had in the score, yet it comes across as it's own unique piece of music.

"Discombubulate"!

The design of and look of the film. everything from the slight bohemian costume for Holmes, to the expensive Victorian-era sets (some of the locations I recognised from nearby Liverpool, probably the best thing that city's been used for in about 50 years). Effects aren't too shabby either.

Tis quite funny, In fact, it's funnier than most proper comedies of recent years. At least three of four times in the cinema I had to stifle a big laugh for fear of being chucked out

Negatives

There's probably quite a few, but I had too good a time to be nitpicky

Overall

Most fun I've had in the cinema since, well, quite a while ago!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1977
RE: Mini Reviews - 14/2/2010 2:16:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I see my plan failed then

Here's another for now

Positives

Jefferson Airplane!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8J8n5HA6SY

Arlo Guthrie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsnUu71Viyo

Crosby, Stills and Nash!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFCgAhZEO8

Richie Havens!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-d5x-CiTUs

Country Joe MacDonald!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBdeCxJmcAo

Negatives

No Creedence Clearwater Revival
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOfssJ0vwfU

Overall
Three and a half hours of weird clothing, sights you'd probably not want to see again, peace, love and cool music. Showing an event that came at the end of an era, the film really does capture the times and the mood of the people there. Yet, despite its epic runtime,there still no room for CCR! - 4/5

Much more better!

Post #: 1978
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/3/2010 3:10:17 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton - 2010)

First, a note on the 3D element. While it is very interesting and adds, if only slightly, to the immersive quality of the picture, it isn't necessary. 3D takes away about 20-30% of the colour and a film as vibrant as this does not deserve to have that lessened.

It's become rather popular as of late to criticise Tim Burton and his film-making - he's so samey, he's just doing what he normally does, are Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter his only friends, etc. Such complaints are understandable but with this Return to Oz-esque adaptation of Alice in Wonderland, he's found a source material that fits him.

Not a straight up adaptation of the books but rather a new story set 13 years after the original tale, Alice (Mia Wasikowska) is a bored, easily distracted 19 year old plagued by strange dreams. After a routine social event turns into her own engagement party, Alice spots a familiar white rabbit (voiced by Michael Sheen) and follows it down the rabbit hole and into a place like no other.

There's a lot to like about this film, mostly in the visuals. The love really is in the details, especially the sumptuous costumes. There's a playful cartoon element to Alice's new surroundings, from the snobbish flowers to the Queen's palace, but the trademark darkness is still there and works very effectively. Everything and everyone in the story seems to have a secret, or not so secret, dark side. When I was 9 my gran gave me her battered copy of Lewis Caroll's classic and to be honest, it scared the hell out of me, so I have no problem with this dark (PG dark at least) under-current to the film, although I know many who do. But while the story is somewhat new, it doesn't attempt anything new.

Supporting characters are given little to do but when your eponymous leading lady is as good as Wasikowska, this isn't a problem. She has a classic quality about her with a hint of a rebellious streak that's Alice through and through, even in an older portrayal. As Burton himself noted, she has an old soul, and she'll go far with it. Outside of Wasikowska, the biggest scene stealers are old Burton favourites Depp and Bonham Carter, the former a flashy mood ring of emotions and hysteria with clear vulnerability, and the latter a stroppy, snobby child with a temper tantrum and a head you keep expecting to bobble. Both are clearly having a ball and as a result, so do we.

If you are permitted to drink alcohol in your cinema, a game of Spot the Luvvie is a must. Stephen Fry, the perfect slinky voiced, mischevious Cheshire Cat - drink! Michael Sheen the rabbit - drink! Timothy Spall the bloodhound - drink! Alan Rickman putting that trademark voice to good, if underused, use as the caterpillar - drink! Christopher Lee causing some real damage as a very well rendered Jabberwocky - big drink! Other Brits of note include Barbara Windsor (the absolute perfect dormouse), Matt Lucas, Paul Whitehouse (don't ask why the March Hare is Scottish, just go with it and enjoy the fact that psychotic Scots are in this year) Frances de la Tour and Lindsay Duncan. With such an illustrious cast and so many colourful characters to give screentime too, some are understandably underused, but all the fun's in the spotting. And why did it take so long to get Crispin Glover in a Burton film?

Most of the problems result in the 3rd act. The big action sequence feels tacked on and completely out of place in the world of Caroll and even Burton. I get that some of the audience might be a bit bored by whimsical riddles and magic potions but a big fantastical warrior moment is not the way to go. I so wish Burton had kept a tighter grip on his story by this point and chosen a different route. There's also a horrifically cringey dance scene at the end which will leave you pulling off your 3D glasses to facepalm.

It's not Burton's best but there's a lot to love here. As always, a visual treat with some great pieces of acting and, in the opening 10 minutes, a sign that Burton could make a great period piece (I'm personally pulling for an adaptation of Northanger Abbey - got to give the man a little bit of familiarity). It falls apart a bit at the end and it probably won't become the definitive adaptation of the story but props to Burton, he knows how to take you to a new world.

3.5/5

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 1979
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/3/2010 6:15:46 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I don't want to read that until I've seen the film, but it's great to see a new review in here!

Much more better!

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1980
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI