Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mini Reviews

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/4/2009 2:56:04 PM   
wgamador

That was a joke, an April's Fools Day thing , correct ? 

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 1891
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2009 12:37:21 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

April Fool's Day was last week though. That review was deadly serious, I stand by it 100%. I'm hurt by these slanderous accusations. I demand compensation. I'm calling my lawyer!

Didn't you review it a while back, Wags? I coulnd't find it if you did?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1892
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2009 2:31:28 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

April Fool's Day was last week though. That review was deadly serious, I stand by it 100%. I'm hurt by these slanderous accusations. I demand compensation. I'm calling my lawyer!

Didn't you review it a while back, Wags? I coulnd't find it if you did?

i thought it was suck.

My review of 88 Minutes is on PAGE  54. Go check it out , Gimli.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1893
RE: Mini Reviews - 7/4/2009 6:21:50 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

I keep saying this but I am 100% going to review Crank 2 when it's out! 

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1894
RE: Mini Reviews - 8/4/2009 4:41:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

i thought it was suck.

My review of 88 Minutes is on PAGE  54. Go check it out , Gimli.

Cheers for that. Just read it now. Much more accurate than mine! Such an awful film

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1895
RE: Mini Reviews - 9/4/2009 12:20:18 AM   
wgamador

Yes. I mean it was truly terrible.

Post #: 1896
RE: Mini Reviews - 13/4/2009 9:52:02 PM   
wgamador

Sin Nombre

Positives
1. Very realistic portrayal of what immigrants in Central America have to experience just to attempt to cross to border into the Unites States.
2. Very brutal and raw scenes of what the gang the 'Mara Salvatrucha' (or MS or MS 13) are all about, the translation by the way is "StoreSaving Gang", a 'trucha' is a little a grocery store (tienda), where all sorts of provisions are sold. And these gangs were originally founded to protect these stores from thieves and robbers in their communities or barrios. Eventually they evolved into what they are today, a vicious and dangerous gang.
3. The film will shed some light for those here in the USA who look down upon latino immigrants and realize that if they were in the immigrants shoes, they would risk life and limb to make it here to the USA in hopes of a better life.
4. There is nothing wrong for another human being to want a better life for themselves.....and this film portrays that profoundly.
5. Great direction. It really puts you in the midst of the people and situations so much that you can almost smell and taste everything on screen. The two stories interweaving and meeting at that crucial point was truly brilliant.
6. Finally another solid film gem that I can add to the other gem of the genre by the name of 'El Norte'.
7. Good tension especially in the second act, which is very hard to do.
8. The real lesson for me throughout the film was, don't judge anyone because you don't know what hardships they have been through, say a kind word or don't say anything at all.
9. No candy-coating at all, very powerful and scary of how gang culture can be.
10. Very good ending.
11. The amount of Americans that were in the theatre to watch this. I applaud them for taking time to see the immigration issue from another point of view.
12. Very good performances by absolutely everyone involved.
13. While in Honduras for five months in 1995, I hung out with the MS13 and was embraced without having to join and obviously I lived.

Negatives
1. Really tough to watch and heartbreaking. While 'Slumdog Millionaire' eases your mind with humor in between the brutal scenes, this doesnt do that and that may be too much for people to sit through. 
2. People who will watch this and say....."Why should i feel sorry for those people?, It's not my fault they were born in those countries."
3. Some things were predictable but that's only because I'm close to these types of stories, seeing people who had just crossed over visit my family and the stories they would tell about the journey.
4. The subtitles will easily turn off those who have no desire to read them, therefore passing up the opportunity to watch this.
5. The truths that the film reveals are heartbreaking.....especially about the MS-13.
6. Will scare tourists from visting Central America.

*Final Verdict............4/5...........

*Mara Salvatrucha refers to a large notorious Hispanic gangs involved in criminal activities in Central America and the United States. The gang names are commonly abbreviated as MS, Mara, MS-13, and are composed mostly of Salvadorans, Hondurans and other Central Americans. The Mara Salvatrucha gangs have cliques, or factions, located throughout the United States and Latin America. Membership is believed to total over 100,000 worldwide. Mara Salvatrucha criminal activities includes hate crimes, murder, assinations for hire, assaults on law enforcements, innocent civilians and other ethnic gangs, drug smuggling and sales, black market gun and machete sales, human trafficking, theft, rape and prostitution industry.

*Why did I just tell you all of that, well so that you can get a feel of how big they really are. I mentioned above how in 1995, I was in Honduras and I decided not to stay in the safe neighborhoods where my bio-dad and aunt lived, but in the more dangerous places, i wanted to experience life like they do. First thing I did was give and exchange all my Levi jeans and brand name shirts and Nikes to my cousins and kids in the barrio....so that I could blend in. I knew it was dangerous for me, all I had to do was open my mouth, and although I speak perfect spanish, to my own countrymen, I had an accent.  Anyways, I used to visit this community that was about 40 miles from the safe neighborhoods I mentioned, and I would have to get off this bus and walk like a quarter mile to get to the house i was staying at.....just some property my mother had bought a few years earlier, there were no electricity or running water there, but I had freedom to do whatever i wanted to.  This is where i met the MS-13, sure I shit my pants the first time I was introduced, and although I come from a rough neighborhood here in the USA, I knew that the gang members in the USA do at least fear the prospects of going to jail, but in Honduras, ain't no such fear, no one will miss their DVD players or Playstations in. None of those kids have that luxury. Long story short, I ended up being protected by the MS-13 and even punched out some rival gang member inadvertantly!   They always wanted to hear my United States stories and high school stories. I sat around with them smoking herb and showing them how to roll 'blunts' but above all I respected them, didn't always agree with them, but respected what they had to do to survive.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 14/4/2009 2:12:57 PM >

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1897
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/4/2009 7:52:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've not heard of that one before, Wags. Sounds very good.

The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring - Live!

Synopsis

7 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 6 days and 5 hours after I first saw the best film in the known universe at the cinema, I saw it for the 45th time. Gimli’s at it again, I hear you cry. Well, in my defence this was a particularly special re-watching. Back on the big screen again at The Royal Albert Hall, with the musical score performed live as the film played out!!!!

Positives

There were three things that I fell in love with when I first saw the film. One was Ian Mckellen’s performance. The second was the entire sequence in Moria. The third was the music and over the years I can’t even imagine how many hours I’ve spent listening to the score for the trilogy, so hearing it performed live (by the very same talent who worked on the film) was a dream come true. Especially as there was a pre-concert talk by Howard Shore (legend!) and Doug Adams. Adams wrote the booklets that accompany The Complete Recordings for the trilogy, all 11 hours of music spread over 10 CDs, as well as The Annotated Scores, and a forthcoming book all about the music used in the films. Interesting nuggets of information that I never know or had simply forgotten about cropped up. I found myself wondering why on Earth there was a piano on stage, as no piano music is used in the films. Turns out the Isengard music is created by having iron chains striking the piano wire. Little things like that just make my day. And if this wasn’t enough, both Shore and Adams signed by copy of the liner notes for the score. I was on cloud nine.

Main event though was the film and the concert. As Shore said in the talk, watching the film in this way allowed you to hear the imagery and see the music, and that’s exactly how it was like. Sections that are barely audible on the film now in full force, such as the flurry of French horns just before the Ringwraiths are swept away. The timpanist hammering during Saruman’s betrayal in perfect synchronicity with the film. When The London Voice’s all stood up ready for the next bout of singing, I already knew the choir was about to kick in, but the sense of anticipation was even greater now, especially during the darker, more frenetic moments, the Black Speech verse that accompany the Ringwraiths or the guttural chanting heard in Moria. What a sequence that was! 20 minutes with the Orchestra and choir blasting out, this thrilling cacophony matched with the events on screen, I’ve never heard anything like it.

Admittedly, the version of the film was the theatrical cut and not the extended cut. No matter really, as it’s still a sublime achievement. Having not seen this cut for about 5 years, it wasn’t the bigger scenes – Bilbo’s narration, the gift-giving etc- being omitted that I missed, but much shorter moments, barely a line or two long. Legolas’ “A Balrog of Morgoth” or Aragorn’s “They will look for his coming from The White tower”. Makes you wonder why these couldn’t have been kept in the first place. Also interesting to revisit where those little moments that aren’t in the extended versions, unnecessary once the longer scenes are included, particularly evident when Gandalf arrives at Bag End.

And yet, despite the fact I was watching the “non-proper” version of the film, and my gaze was often wandering between the events on screen and the orchestra below, and I was in a packed auditorium of 5000 people, I was still reduced to tears during the final 15 minutes. It starts when Aragorn lets Frodo go off on his soon, gets worse when Merry and Pippin create a distractions, and I’m inconsolable once Boromir dies. I couldn’t help it, I never can. Nothing holds as much sway over me as these films, and every time I see them I love them even more, standing head and shoulders above all competition.

Negatives

None whatsoever. How can you fault perfection? (and this time I mean it)

Overall

As a film, it’s a one-of-a-kind masterpiece. As a musical concert, it was unparalled. As an experience, four of the best hours of my life. Roll on next year and The Two Towers - 100/100

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1898
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/4/2009 10:02:09 AM   
SadFace

Woah, now that sounds cool!

Do they do any other films like this at the Royal Albert Hall or is it just LOTR?

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

Post #: 1899
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/4/2009 11:34:19 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

Woah, now that sounds cool!

Do they do any other films like this at the Royal Albert Hall or is it just LOTR?

I'd imagine just LOTR. Shore said he had the idea of showing the films this way when he was making the complete soundtracks and it's played in a few countries so far I think. Maybe others will follow if it's a successful idea.

Much more better!

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1900
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/4/2009 8:47:48 AM   
Trained Filmsassin

Fast And Furious

Director: Justin Lin
Starring: Vin Diseal, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster

Postives:
The car chases were fun
The action scenes were quite good

Negatives:

The acting was horrible
Most scenes were cringeworthy
What the fuck was up with the GPS scenes?
The way the subtitles came up was strange
The music was off putting
The film had a plot. A very simple plot
The film was very messy and very clunkly

Verdict:
The only thing that saved this film from being a one star effort was the car chases, and even they wern't as thrilling as the first three films.

2/5

< Message edited by Trained Filmsassin -- 26/4/2009 8:49:21 AM >

Post #: 1901
RE: Mini Reviews - 26/4/2009 9:50:25 AM   

Crank 2 review later! 

(in reply to Trained Filmsassin)
Post #: 1902
RE: Mini Reviews - 27/4/2009 4:10:17 PM   
wgamador

I appreciate the reviews everyone.
Here are the ones im trying to get done.

Miracle at St. Anna
Let The Right One In
Role Models
Dancehall Queen
Burn After Reading.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1903
RE: Mini Reviews - 28/4/2009 9:43:08 PM   
wgamador

MARCH '08

Wow. Where does time go? I thought I had awarded the March winner only to learn that I had not. So here are the overdue March winners. Its another slow time here at Mini-review land, so I thank all of you who took time to review something.
Enjoy the show.

1st Place:  Matthewforan  .............Page 62

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Directed and Written by Woody Allen
Starring: Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz,.

Plot

Vicky (Hall) and Cristina (Johansson) best friends since college are heading to Barcelona, Vicky to learn about Catalan culture and Cristina to escape yet another failed relationship. The vacation starts off with a bit of sight seeing and the usually tourists things. This is until Juan Antonio (Bardem) an up and coming painter comes to their table with a proposition of a weekend of great wine, food and sex. The three go about the weekend without much conflict until Antonio's ex Maria (Cruz) walks through the door.

Fifteen minutes into the movie I began to think to myself, what has he done? This voice over is terrible and the looping serenade to Barcelona is beginning to get annoying. When is this going to become a Woody Allen movie? So I started to think back over the last 3 years of Woody Allen's career and remembered that he has had some hash times of late, his London films haven't been warmly greeted by his fans or by the critics. But after seeing Vicky Cristina Barcelona it is clear what has been wrong, the weather just hasn't been nice enough he has clearly needed the sun because it has rejuvenated him bringing sun, sights and lust to our screens. We kicked off with a small voiceover intro to our characters; fair enough I thought at least we don't have to have the characters do it themselves which always seems so forced in many movies. But it continues and goes on to tell you about where they had dinner and what party they are at. I'm not going to lie I thought the worst.

But then the voice over stops and we are introduced to the conflict with in the first 20 minutes, there is no messing about with formula for Allen and I love him for it. Bardem's Juan Antonio glides onto the screen and would melt the straightest of men with his voice as he propositions the two leading ladies to a weekend they'll never forget. Now this is where the directors eye earns its keep because he takes you on a tour of some of the most fantastic looking locations, and you'd be booking your ticket to Barcelona if you weren't transfixed by the stunning scenery.

As with any love triangles there is the inevitable twists and turns especially since fiancés and ex-wives enter the picture making this a love pentagon of some kind.

Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz are all on career best. Hall's cautious and tense Vicky is the yang to Johansson's Christina's ying. Christina is high on life trying to make the most of everything she can especially when it comes to men. The moment that she meets Antonio is a great bit of observational humour with Christina's eyes gazing at Antonio in a way that makes you jealous beyond all comprehension. And I firmly believe that she is the stand out of the movie, all of the awards and plaudits seem to be going the way of Cruz and she is fantastic as the psycho ex-wife of Antonio's a smart and savvy performance that any actress that would be proud to call their own.

But for myself I think Johansson is delightful, smart warm and with some nice lines and you really feel sorry that she isn't able to cut a break just when things seem to be going her way. Javier Bardem basically plays the only lead male, the others are just there to move the plot along. This is why his role is so important and he is yet again brilliant, it's hard to believe it's the same man that scared you shitless in No Country For Old Men. He's smooth, smart and caring not your typical depiction of a Latin male in movies.

Verdict

Vicky Christina Barcelona will make you want to do many things, go to Barcelona, take up Spanish guitar, sleep with Scarlett Johansson or Javier Bardem depending on your sexual preference but you feel as though you've done it all in the 100 minutes of Woody Allen's latest. He is back and he believe it or not has made one of the best films of the year so far not to mention the sexiest.

86%

2nd Place:  Amelie_Scotland ..............Page 63

Watchmen (2009 - Zack Snyder)

Set in an alternate 1985 where Nixon is still president, costumed vigilantes have been outlawed and the world is on the brink of nuclear war, The Comedian (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is killed. Believing that former costumed heroes are being eliminated, the masked Rorschach (Jackie Earle Haley) sets out to solve the case.

Alan Moore is considered the king of graphic novels and Watchmen, illustrated by Dave Gibbons, is his magnum opus. Filled to the brim with excellent characterisation, several narratives and more questions than most novels, it's more than just a comic book. In fact, it's the only graphic novel on Time's 100 must read books. It was always going to be difficult to adapt such a monster of a story, especially with the hype and the fanboys (scary folks). But I think Zack Snyder deserves a well done for his work here. A self confessed fan of the comic, he clearly loves his source material and takes the time to draw attention to even the smallest detail. As a fan of the novel, I had a whale of a time spotting the miniscule details that probably went over the heads of the uninitiated, such as The Comedian's change in costumes over the years, and the numerous historical figures that pop up (David Bowie is in the best opening credits I've seen in a long time.) I took my friend to see it and she'd never read the comic so I did spend a little time running over a few plot points as the film went on. Snyder's clearly not pandering to the uneducated masses and as a fan I can only be happy for this. I worry that many people will go to see the film based on the action packed trailers, believing it's a huge superhero bust up block-buster. Despite it's excellent moments of action, it's not your typical story.

Moore's strengths lies in his characters. Watchmen's heroes are more human and complicated than the better known heroes, like Batman and Spiderman. Each has their problems and see their pasts as crimefighters as both gifts and curses. Nite Owl (the excellent Patrick Wilson) a.k.a. Dan Dreiberg, is a bored, middle aged, chubby man who finds himself weak and impotent (in more ways than one) without his former alias. Laurie Jupiter (Malin Ackerman, the weak link in the line up) yearns for normality she'll never have and Adrien Veidt (Matthew Goode, surprisingly good) has made a fortune from franchising his former alias, Ozymandias, yet fears for the state of the world. Overall the casting is good, with rhe stand out being Haley. Rorschach is a popular character with the fans. His unique form of do-gooding brings out gasps of shock and respect in equal numbers. Spending most of his time wearing an ink blot mask which changes with his mood, Haley still manages to bring out the complexities of his character, making him somewhat admirable but never shying away from his wrong doings, no matter what his intention. He sees himself as a man surrounded by filth which he needs to fix. Between this and his Oscar nominated role in Little Children, he's fast becoming onr of my favourite actors. The most normal of the bunch, if they can be called that, is Dan and Wilson nails the everyday monotomy of his thoughts and his awkwardness. I couldn't quite decide what accent Goode was using for Adrien but he played the role better than I thought he would. He's still too youthful looking but he gives you reason to understand and trust Veidt. I had a real problem with Ackerman as Laurie. Silk Sceptre II isn't a chatacter I particularly like. I found her to be whiny, self centred and a little slutty. But at least she had some sort of a personality. Here, Ackerman plays her like an orchid - beautiful but not up to much. The costume change works if you think about it (the fetishising of the super-hero) but other than a great pair of legs and a nice wig, she just doesn't have the necessary skills. Stand out supporting characters include Carla Gugino as the original Silk Spectre.

But the biggest challenge for Snyder was always going to be Doctor Manhattan. Formerly a nuclear scientist called Jon Osterman, Manhattan (Billy Crudup) gained super powers after a freak accident that left him with the ability to experience all of tie at once and be used as a weapon by the US military. He's almost completely devoid of emotion, detached from reality and he's a naked, glowing blue man with his cock out. Kudos to Crudup for giving Manhattan enough humanity yet keeping his cold exterior. The effects work better in close ups than they do in long shots (the overtly muscular physique is accurate to the comic but looks off on screen. And the penis is distracting.) I'm glad the film was made in a time where effects have come so far. The America of Moore's world is dirty, gloomy and occasionally grotesque. It's a world that could end at any moment and brief flashes to newspaper headlines and the cabinet meetings with Nixon (really bad make-up, he looks like a circus clown) heighten the fear.

While Snyder isn't completely successful in his adaptation (unavoidably, some bits are missed out and scenes are cut) but 80% of his work is excellent. He doesn't shy away from the darker aspects of the story which is both good (the unflinching violence is pitch perfect, especially when tied to Rorschach) and bad (The single funniest sex scene you'll see all year.) The fight scenes are perfectly choreographed and even though he lays on the slow motion a little too much, it looks pretty damn cool (a shallow thing to say but it's true, except for that sex scene.) Equipped with an excellent soundtrack it's good for the ears as well as the eyes. The biggest fanboy quibble is with the ending which has been changed from the comic, the only major change that has been made. I may be a little controversial here but I prefer the movie ending. It works better, doesn't lose any of the power of the finale and it allows Snyder to take out some of the plot lines that would have bogged down the story.

It's not an easy story, it's very long and if you go in expecting a big latex covered punch-up then you'll be underwhelmed by Watchmen. It's a film by a fan for the fans and Snyder has proven himself worthy with such a difficult project. It's obvious throughout the entire movie that he cares about this story and will do anything to protect it. It's not as good as The Dark Knight but between the two movies, the superhero is finally being taken seriously. Read the graphic novel, then see the film

Honorable Mention Award:  SadFace........Page 61

Positives:

• "Cat-in-a-bag!”

• Naomi Watts in her underbritches.

Negatives:

• Direction. What direction?

• Acting. What acting?

• Soundtrack. What soundtrack?

• Suspense. What suspense? Boredom, more like.

• Screenplay. What screenplay? I counted at least 6 occasions where someone said "Excuse me?”

Take a look at this:

• "What for?” "Excuse me?” "What for? What does she need the eggs for?”

• "That is a really great set of clubs ... Would you mind if I tried this? ... Thank you. Excuse me.”

• "He loves golf. We both do.” "Excuse me?” "We both do. We both love golf.”

• "Where's Tom?” "Who?” "Did you give him the eggs?” "Excuse me?”

• "I don't understand what's upset you but if you insist, just give Tom the eggs and we won't bother you anymore.” "Excuse me?”

• "Where is your dock?” "Excuse me?” "Where is your dock?”

There's probably more but I must have given up and started counting the individual hairs on my big toe.

Verdict:

"Excuse me?”

Rating:
Tripe.

-----------------------------

Is it me or is the year 2009 flying by? Its unbelievable.
Well spring has officially welcomed us and you know what that means, a few spring movies that serve as filler until the Summer Blockbusters arrive.

So please submit your reviews...and remember they dont have to be long or wordy. Just give us your educated opinions. I know it seems that the longer the review the more likely you are to win Review of the Month, but it really has more to do with the actual content and voice of the author.

Enjoy the spring and see you in about a week.

Thanks everyone!!

< Message edited by wgamador -- 28/4/2009 9:45:51 PM >

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1904
RE: Mini Reviews - 28/4/2009 11:25:57 PM   
matthewforan

SHIT YEAH!

God I haven't been on this thread for ages, i'll be back bigger and better in the next couple of months though

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1905
RE: Mini Reviews - 28/4/2009 11:37:40 PM   

Need to remember to do that Crank 2 review 

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1906
RE: Mini Reviews - 29/4/2009 1:18:38 AM   
Amelie_Scotland

Well done Matthew. (I'll beat you next time my foe *evil laugh*)

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 1907
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 6:01:31 PM   
matthewforan

I promise at least two reviews by the end of the week Friday Night Lights and Seabiscuit

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1908
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 6:03:52 PM   
wgamador

Cool guys. I will await that battle.

I watched Milk and is it shallow of me to feel uncomfy with the male kissing in the film ?

Post #: 1909
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 6:06:23 PM   

Coming Very Soon:

Coraline, Crank 2 and Let the Right One In Triple Bill!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1910
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 10:48:31 PM   

But first!

This terrific compilation of horror tales was bound by controversy during filming when actor Vic Morrow and two kids were killed during a stunt gone wrong; like most films racked with controversy it took some getting to the big screen, but it made it, and ranges from chilling to sweet to downright weird...

Opening Segment

In this nifty opening scene (one of my favourite scenes from a movie) both Dan Aykroyd and Albert Brooks sing along to Midnight Special before launching into banter about various tv themes and the Twilight Zone itself; the car trip then takes a supernatural turn.... It's a terrific way to set up the film itself, with a mix of wit and the sinister; plus the ending punchline is a quote that should be up there with the best memorable lines like I'll be Back and Schwing!

Segment 1

This is a sinister and psychological scarer rather than a downright terror, with Vic Morrow as a bitter and very racist man who is having a bad day; one that is about to get worse as he learns the error of his ways in the worst possible way.

Vic Morrow (in sadly his last role) is terrific, both very angry and very scared in equal measure; and the events that take place are both frighteningly realistic and harrowing at the same time... it's an utterly believable scenario and is all the more chilling to witness, thankfully the fateful helicopter sequence is not included....

Segment 2

In this sentimental effort from one Senor Spielbergo, a mysterious codger (the lovely Scatman Crothers) visits an elderly people's home to give the tenants of taste of their youth. Whilst some may outright criticise this as the weakest (and it probably is), just because it isn't a scarer doesn't mean it's not without it's merit; it's an overly sweet and lovely picture of old people afraid of the end and wanting a bit of what they used to have.....

Segment 3

The 'whats-he-doing-now' legend that is Joe Dante presents this third segment, that is both downright weird and utterly petrifying.... you may remember the Simpsons episode in which Bart changes everything by wishing, well it's based on this. A teacher stops at a bar (the great Dick Miller plays the manager) and witnesses a bunch of guys being mean to a kid, she then offers him a ride home; once she gets there, she is invited in for tea and realises his family are bit too kind and timid around Timmy.

Mixing both cartoons, stop-motion crazy effects and live-action... this segment is truly from someone who created Gremlins and has a love of Looney Tunes; the sections where the cartoons come to life are both freakish and quite spooky, whilst Kathleen Quinlan is good as the teacher who may be able to cope with Timmy.....

Segment 4

Probably the most famous of the segments is this chiller with John Lithgow; much parodied (Simpsons again) but very chilling and gripping. Mr Valentine is a passenger on a plane in a storm, he is very distressed but that's nothing until he thinks he spots something on the wing of the plane....

John Lithgow is utterly terrific as the protagonist, both extremly crazy and distressed; whilst the puppet effects are top-notch, both sparing yet chilling.... it's a thrill ride of a segment and most likely the best of the bunch....

Overall:

A terrific compilation of chilling tales, whereas one isn't too chilling it's still mysterious and magical... maybe they don't gel as much as they should but considering they're all very different that's not a bad thing.... mysteriously underrated and well worth checking out, an 80's horror masterpiece!

< Message edited by DJ Rob C: Mark II! -- 5/5/2009 10:54:52 PM >

Post #: 1911
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 10:57:17 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

I watched Milk and is it shallow of me to feel uncomfy with the male kissing in the film ?

Well it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling Megan Fox did in Transformers that's for sure.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1912
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/5/2009 10:59:35 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

quote:

Well it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling Megan Fox did in Transformers that's for sure.

..........i feel the fuzz when I see Megan too.

Rob...................nice review!

< Message edited by wgamador -- 5/5/2009 11:00:05 PM >

Post #: 1913
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/5/2009 5:57:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I don't think I've ever read such a positive review of The Twilight Zone! Good stuff JD!

Much more better!

Post #: 1914
RE: Mini Reviews - 11/5/2009 11:48:36 PM   
themightyhutch

WOLVERINE

SPOILERS LIKE A BEAR...OR MAYBE A WOLVERINE

Good

• The actors are on fine form here. All of them. I couldn't think of any of them that did a bad performance. Hell even Will.I.Am proved to actually be quite good. However they aren't in it enough.
  • If i'm honest Jackman, Schreiber and Huston need their own point about their performances. Really got into the roles, and I really enjoyed them in it.
  • The action, dare I say it, is pretty darn good. It comes thick and fast, and it hugely enjoyable.
  • The opening credit sequence is very well done, however it looked very interesting and wished there was more depth to it.
  • Lots of nice little Marvel nods in there. I like.
  • The helicopter scene is terrificly done.
  • Interesting ideas that take the origin story to a different level, with Weapon XI and "Deadpool".
  • It tries some nice different things to usual. Sure it doesn't work quite as well as it wants to, but the effort is seen.

Bad

• Okay okay I'm giving it a lot of undeserved credit there. There is a lot wrong with it, yet not enough for me to want to stab my eyes after it.
  • Firstly, this is case of too many cooks spoiling a really good potential broth. The film actually suffers from trying too hard. It sounds weird, but with too many characters, it means that their overall time on screen is shortened. Reynolds was superb for his 5 minutes on screen, Durand was suprisingly good as the Blob, as was Kitsch as Gambit, and of course Monaghan was as always on top form as Bolt, but they suffered from being a tiny piece in a big picture. I know it's about Wolverine, but these are fan favourites, just coming on screen for a quick hello and then buggering off again. Almost makes you wonder why big named people took the roles.
  • The film suffers from too much action as well. It's good, but there is no depth to the characters. I think X2 spoiled that for us.
  • The use of Weapon XI and Deadpool in his future spinoff is just going to be confusing.
  • I didn't really feel that much for the characters, because there wasn't enough interaction. Things just seemed to happen.
  • Adamantium Bullet. Nuff Said.
  • Was there actually any added footage from the work print?

Overall

This is the start to the summer season, and it isn't a bad one. It isn't fantastic, and its no X2 or even X-Men, but it's still a solid comic book movie. It's a shame that so much potential was there, yet they still managed to screw up the end game. It's good, watchable and a lot of fun, but if you wanted more depth you will be disapointed.

73%

Post #: 1915
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/5/2009 12:12:19 AM   
themightyhutch

SCRUBS - MY FINALE SPOILERS

Treated

Surfice to say for the last week I have been miserable. My favourite TV show has unfortunatly come to and end, and what an end it has had. The Series Finale (in my eyes a new series with new characters won't work. Didn't work for Skins, won't work here) hit with emotion, laughter, and tears as I sat rigid as the computer.

For the last 8 years we've watched the characters develop. From the beginnings in the first two seasons, the haydays of seasons 3 and 4. Seasons 5 and 6's misteps in the development of the characters and season 7's attempts to fix it, the move to ABC has changed things for Scrubs, and Season 8 really has been a return to form. It seems that the new station has become a breath of fresh air for the show, and it's clear that everything has been done to make the season go out with a bang, and with every character getting their endings. The Janitor gets married, Ted finds a girlfriend, Cox is given the Chief of Medicine, Turk gets Chief of Surgary, and Carla is pregnant, with Elliot and JD moving in together, the season has really given it's all to resolve everything, and really in true Scrubs style.

The acting in the last episode was fantastic. It seems they all pulled out their trump cards right at the end, and I mean it when I say, the moments that the Actors gave really made me want to cry. Every character says goodbye to JD in their own little way, and while they slightly pull you out of it, as it is a desperate way of saying goodbye to those characters as well, it actually somehow works, and they make you a little blearly if i'm honest. Judy Reyes gave an exceptional goodbye, and Dr Cox's moment explaining his thoughts on JD were complete and everything I wanted to be said by him in the end.

The last 15 minutes of it, is when everything really starts to change for the sad. The sudden realisation that it's almost over is recieved with the learning of the Janitor's name, with a little back story to it (which is hilarious and of course you can't trust whether it is really his name), but it all comes thick and fast to realise that it really is all over for them.

The scene is the corridor is really well done, with over 50 guest stars appearing, it is clear that they really went all out for it, and succeeded in making a believable episode. Also the 4 minute scene showing what JD's future could be, set to "the Book of Love" by Peter Gabriel is beautiful, and depressing. It's horrible to know that it is the last time that we see JD, but his ending is happy.

The episode has so many neat touches that really round it off. For example whilst JD is watching the video of himself, when it finishes, there is a short pause as he looks over to the camera. Also shortly after, and the final interaction of the series, is between JD and an unknown Janitor, here played by none other than series creator Bill Lawrence, and this just makes it for me. The final bidding of good night just completes it for me, showing a definate end to it, but an end that I didn't want to see coming.

Hooch IS crazy.

Terminal

Nothing. Absolutly nothing.

Diagnosis

Absolutly perfect. Couldn't have asked for a better final episode and this is easily one of the best ones up there. Can't believe it is over though.

100%

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 1916
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/5/2009 12:56:45 AM   
homersimpson_esq

COMING SOON...

Sorry it's been so long since I came in here... I promise I'll be in more often from now.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 1917
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/5/2009 1:05:38 AM   

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Coming Very Soon:

Coraline, Crank 2 and Let the Right One In Triple Bill!

I advertised this and forgot, will do a double-bill of Coraline and Star Trek soon

Post #: 1918
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/5/2009 1:07:21 AM   
Stewie_Griffin

No, do Let the Right One in first. I demand it.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

Post #: 1919
RE: Mini Reviews - 12/5/2009 1:52:16 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm so tempted to read that Scrubs review, but I don't want to spoil it.

Much more better!

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI