Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Mini Reviews

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mini Reviews - 2/2/2009 9:53:15 PM   
SadFace

I have to agree with you there

There were some elements in the film I found impressive, such as the cinematography.

Aaarrrgh, look at me! I'm contradicting my own review!
You have some serious mental powers, my dear boy!

Plus, the original and the remake are by the same director and are almsot identical. Therefore, I found it strange that I liked one and not the other when they were more-or-less the same film.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1831
RE: Mini Reviews - 2/2/2009 10:11:52 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

There were some elements in the film I found impressive, such as the cinematography.

Aaarrrgh, look at me! I'm contradicting my own review!
You have some serious mental powers, my dear boy!

This is why we decided that the mini-reviews should have "Positive" and "Negatives" points, so no contradictions could be given.

...and no,  i dont deserve that much credit.
That avatar is hilarious.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1832
RE: Mini Reviews - 3/2/2009 8:32:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

So, in the post immediately after Wags reminding us of the plusand music nature of this thread, I'm here with a review that does away with that altogether

I didn't write it for this thread, but I haven't done a proper review in here for months. I really should but I'm useless at such stuff

Anyways...

Nicole Kidman stars as Lady Sarah Ashley, an aristocrat who, in 1939, travels to Australia to meet her husband at a cattle station he owns, Faraway Downs. Upon arrival in Australia she is greeted by a cattle drover (Hugh Jackman) who takes her to the land, only to find her husband has been killed, supposedly by an Aboriginal elder. In an attempt to stop local a cattle baron gain control over the Northern Territories, Lady Ashley and the Drover embark on a cattle drive across the country to the city of Darwin. So begins this tale of adventure and romance, one which culminates in the Japanese air attack Darwin.

Baz Luhrmannís fourth film is, on the face of it, a world away from his Red Curtain trilogy. Wannabe dancer, Shakespeare adaptation and Parisian courtesans donít have all that much in common with the Australian outback, but thereís a distinctive style between them all and the start of this film certainly does have that Baz feel to it. Whipping from Oz to the UK then back again, barfights, CG kangaroos, comic reaction from Kidman, the situations may be different but itís hard not to be reminded of the start of Moulin Rouge and itís quick-fire scene-setting and character introduction. Indeed, knowing, based on the trailers, whatís going to unfold over the next 2 and a half hours, Australia looks like it might suffer from Zorba the Greek syndrome; the light-hearted tone seems to be ill at ease with whatís forthcoming.

Lurhmann reunites with two of his Moulin Rouge cast, Nicole Kidman and David Wenham. Initially it looks like Kidmanís been better than this in many films, but once the icy veneer of Lady Ahsley melts away, Kidman slips into the role more easily and gives one of her finest peformances. Wenham (heíll always be Faramir to me) thankfully has a much larger role than in Rouge, and he gets to show off his nasty side once more. What is it about desert-based films that makes Wenham a bad guy? Dust, The Proposition and now this? Thereís plenty of other Australian talent as well. Bryan Brown as King Carney, the local cattle baron; the ever dependable Jack Thompson as an alcoholic accountant and David Gulpilil, the aborigine falsely blamed for murder. However, the acting honors for the film go to Hugh Jackman and Brandon Walters. Sharing a real chemistry with Kidman, itís actually quite hard to imagine how original choice Russell Crowe would have been as the Drover, Jackman seems to have a much more compassionate side to him. For a 12 year old making his acting debut, Walters is astonishing, grounding the film with what is essentially his story. Kidmanís at her best when sharing the screen with him, both showing genuine compassion and sensitivity (witness the scene in which she sings ďSomewhere over the RainbowĒ).

Itís a treat for the eyes. Rightly nominated for costume design, the sets and such can certainly be appreciated from an artistic level. The cinematography is winning as well, making full use of the vistas on offer, mixed with the stylised shots of (what looked like) matte paintings and greenscreen backdrops, makes for a lovely, if odd, combination. The main problem is that the film doesnít seem to know what itís meant to be, taking the kitchen sink approach. A romantic epic cum western wartime drama, part apology for the treatment of Aborigines and coming-of-age tale thrown into the mix as well. The epic cattle drive, the dramatic centrepiece takes up a good portion of the filmís running time. Come the end of it. relationships are in place and, save for one or two loose ends, it all seems as if it will be wrapped up shortly. Yet thereís still a huge chunk to come. Despite taking place between 1939 and 1943, the wartime aspect of the film is really only apparent in the final third, with Kidman taking on a job as a radio operator, and then the assault. The Japanese airborne attack on the city of Darwin is spectacularly realised, and as the bombs fall it provides a fine dramatic, perhaps melodramatic, setting for the stories of Kidman, Jackman, Wenham and Walters to collide one final time. In some ways though, this final 40 minutes feels like the start of the next chapter in the saga, not the conclusion of all weíve seen before. Yet it all feels right, suitably epic, and is possibly important in at least highlighting an often forgotten aspect of the war (I canít think of any other films that mention these attacks that Iíve seen, and the books I have usually mention them in passing)

Comparisons with Gone With The Wind are both expected and unfair; it either has a lot to live up to or is aiming for too predictable a benchmark. Itís grandiose, indulgent, at times sentimental, frequently extravagant and certainly not everybodyís cup of tea. But allow yourself to get swept along with it and itís hugely rewarding.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 3/2/2009 8:33:04 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1833
RE: Mini Reviews - 3/2/2009 9:10:00 AM   
SadFace

Great review, Gim!

My school's closed because of the snow! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 1834
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/2/2009 6:13:26 PM   
SadFace

When are the results published, wg?

My school's closed again today because of the snow. Double Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1835
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/2/2009 7:49:31 PM   
matthewforan

I feel guilty having not done many reviews so far this year especially since I've seen loads of good movies so far this year.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1836
RE: Mini Reviews - 5/2/2009 8:04:11 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

When are the results published, wg?

I usually try to post the winners the first week of the new month.
Look for the February winner in the first week of March.

For those of you wondering about the ....REVIEW OF THE YEAR..... as soon as i finish writing my script for the challenge in Filmmakers Workshop, I will focus on that.

Thank you everyone!

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 1837
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/2/2009 5:52:14 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Well, it seems to be quite some time since I felt like writing a review. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I haven't felt inspired by some films to write about them, I've just had, well, rather a lot on (he says, making a bid for understatement of the year). Anyhoo, I figured, 13 films at the flicks into the year, I might actually write about one of them. This just happens to be the most recent one.

So without further delay (drumroll please) I give you my (kinda) triumphant return to Mini-Reviews!

[Contains Spoilers]

[Preamble]

I was ambivalent about seeing this initially, despite the obvious attraction of seeing Winslet in the buff, but its several Oscar nods coupled with it actually showing at a local cinema pushed me into seeing it. At an afternoon showing, amidst a sea of grey hair from the blue rinse brigade (and appropriate gasps at key moments), I was somewhat glad I did see it. The film stars the aforementioned Kate Winslet as Hanna Schmitz, a mid-thirties tram ticket inspector who embarks on a questionable affair with the young Michael Berg (David Kross - Ralph Fiennes plays the older incarnation). Her dark past is not mentioned at all until an hour into the film, whereupon it transforms into a courtroom drama, and then a prison movie.

[minus]

The first hour is sadly devoid of focus. The film cuts clumsily from the older Michael in the 1990s to his younger self, as he disembarks from a tram in the 1950s. Throwing up in a doorway he is helped by Hanna, who takes him home. Some weeks later, having recovered from Scarlet Fever he goes and finds Hanna. The scenes between Winsley and Kross suffer from a poor script and directionless, um, directing. Events transpire to force the two together unnaturally. To whit, Hanna peremptorily sends Michael to fetch some coal and, upon his return seeing his face covered in soot, demands he take a bath. Surely a wash would have sufficed? There was also something slightly unseemly about this mid-thirties woman having an affair with a 15 year old, despite Kross looking older (he was 18 at the time I believe). It became more clear when one changes the genders around - a mid-thirties man and a 15 year old girl is all kinds of wrong.

The story meanders along, with little happening other than a series of explicit encounters that see Michael become more and more infatuated and in love with Hanna, and Hanna unmoving, her character arc oddly static. Here is the titular reading, whereby before or after their amorous encounters, Hanna has Michael read to her. It seems a curious request, but Michael is more than happy to acquiesce if it made her happy too. There are moments with Michael's family that are never developed beyond a few encounters and it seems they are extraneous to the plot, and one wonders whether they could have been excised completely. As the summer wears on, Michael wants more of the relationship, Hanna not so much. Eventually the romance fizzles away. This first half of the film adversely affects the whole, and it is impossible to consider the film as great because of it. I have no problem with the explicit detail, as this is necessary to demonstrate the extent to which Michael has been utterly affected by Hanna. But it is the unfocused directing that creates a poor first half.

[plus]

The good news is that things improve drastically when we jump from the 50s to the 60s. The film metamorphosises from a summer-in-love film (if that's even a genre) to a courtroom drama. Michael is now a law student and he and his four classmates are taken to see a landmark legal case - the trial of Nazi war criminals. Following publication of a book incriminating several female Nazi concentration camp guards, they are arrested and sent to trial. This is what Michael is attending. For the first time we discover that Hanna was one of these guards, and the conflict on Michael's face is palpable. Betrayal? Anger? Love? Regret? These all pace over his features and more.

The courtroom scenes are taut and well-executed. There is a real presence of tension as Hanna's fate is meted out across the courtroom. When a key piece of evidence hinges on Hanna's fellow guard's accusation that it was Hanna who wrote a damning report, we know it is over for Hanna. It becomes obvious (to those of us who, like me, didn't realise earlier) that Hanna cannot read. She had Jewish prisoners read to her, just as she had Michael read to her. But her shame at her illiteracy is not enough to save herself from a lifetime in prison and she effectively condemns herself. Torn with emotion, even Michael cannot bring himself to see her to presumably ask her to tell them she could not have written the report.

The film cuts across the decades as the older Michael returns home, discovers one of the books he read to Hanna, and decides to tape himself reading them and send them to her. It is this simply human expression that is Hanna's one contact with the outside world and through it she not only lives through prison, but teaches herself to read. It's emotive stuff, and it's handled well. (Glimpses of Michael's diary as an older man shows us lists of meaningless numbers whose meaning is revealed later in the film.)

From a faulty start The Reader manages to redeem itself, barely, with a well-handled, if slightly temporally-jumpy second half. Earlier elements garner greater significance in the latter half to great effect. I can't help wondering if perhaps it might have worked better had it started at the trial, and interspersed the earlier scenes as flashbacks. Certainly it would have tightened up the narrative and given greater contrast between the facts of the trial, and the explicitness of the earlier scenes.

[to sum up]

The Acting - 7/10: Ralph Fiennes does well with relatively little to work with. David Kross as the young Michael Berg makes little impact early on, with awkward scenes between him and Winslet creating little on-screen chemistry. He is slightly redeemed come the courtroom section as he manages to get across the conflicting emotions.
The Look - 7/10: It's a period film, so it's going to have a strong look to it. Coming from the theatre, Daldry was always going to have a strong eye for visuals (cf: Sam Mendes) and he doesn't disappoint here.
The Sound - 6/10: Nico Muhly's music was emotive and haunting, although ultimately it hasn't left with me any great memories (unlike, say, the brilliant score to Australia).
The Story - 6/10: Poor first half, great second half.
Success of Intent - 7/10: As much as I enjoyed the second half, which left me leaving the cinema in a good mood, the first half did let the side down, so to speak.
Overall - 33/50, or:
66%

< Message edited by homersimpson_esq -- 6/2/2009 5:53:53 PM >

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1838
RE: Mini Reviews - 6/2/2009 10:39:42 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice to see you back here Homer! Now, where are Bubs, Justified and JD?

A fine review, but I'm starting to think that I'm the only one who really liked The Reader.

Nice to see someone else like Australia's score!!

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 6/2/2009 10:40:36 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1839
RE: Mini Reviews - 9/2/2009 9:49:13 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Nice to see you back here Homer! Now, where are Bubs, Justified and JD?

A fine review, but I'm starting to think that I'm the only one who really liked The Reader.

I miss Bubs, he was my little money man, I hope he is doing great.

Thank you Homer for posting your latest review. You are an All-Pro.

Justified is busy with the Script Challenge and JD, well rpobably at the pub.

Post #: 1840
RE: Mini Reviews - 9/2/2009 10:03:30 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

quote:

w
quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

and JD, well probably at the pub.

Nope, right here

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1841
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/2/2009 10:10:01 PM   
wgamador

Mini-Review of the Month
 Presentation

JANUARY '08

Greetings once again from the US and A.
Thank you all for sharing your valuable opinions this month.
We had some really passionate reviews which make up for the lack in quantity.
Well with awards season in full swing I look forward to your reviews of the films or performances that have been nominated, there are many good films and performances out there.
Well lets not stall this puppy....

Here are our winners:

1st Place:  SadFace and Deviation.........Pages 60 and 61

....some spoilers....

Danny Boyle has always been one to push the boundaries of film. From the funny but harrowing Shallow Grave to the grimy but fantastic Trainspotting to the genre-defining 28 Days Later... (Running zombies?! Zombies... that run?!! Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans.),  Boyle has never been afraid to go that little step further each time, to be a stranger to cowardice and to produce movies that could not be more different from each other. So it comes as no surprise that Boyle's latest is nothing like those three or any other film he has
directed, for that matter. It's better.
Slumdog Millionaire, based on the book Q&A by Vikas Swarup, tells the heart-warming story of Jamal Malik, a boy from the slums ('Slumdog') who manages to get into the hotseat on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? in the hope that his childhood sweetheart will be watching but is accused of cheating when he shows no hesitation in answering the questions, even as they get harder and harder. As he is being interrogated, he tells the officers his life story and how he got to know the answers.

The performances in this movie were superb Ė the child actors especially. As they had virtually no training whatsoever, their realism really shone across and showed the world just how much fun can come out of having no money and no possessions. Dev Patel (Malik) gave a career-best performance, but then again, the only other thing he's been in apart from this is teen drama/comedy show Skins, which I watched when it was on telly (he's not in the third series though, which started the other week Ė new cast completely. Booooooo!). Ahhh, hasn't he grown up? Not really, he looks exactly the same.

Slumdog's depiction of the slums of India shows the extent of the horrors of living there without showing disgust for its citizens. Boyle has been Łber-careful in trying to not give the people a bad name or portray them in a bad light or give the impression that they are dirty, stealing animals. It is more of a 'These are slums. These are people. The people live in the slums. So what?' attitude and is definitely not trying to be a documentary. Talking of which, Mercedes-Benz demanded that in the scenes in the slums, their logo should be taken off all their cars as it could taint their image. What's up with that? The buggering pissflaps.

The direction is exhilarating, vibrant and fluent. There are no unnecessary shots or transitions; every scene is there as how it should be. The whole film is awash with bright colours, giving a distinct contrast to the bleakness of the slums and it is this that really picks the audience up.

It's a love story how a love story should be. Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and girl get whisked off to greedy orphanage. Boy and girl get separated. Boy finds girl. Girl is working for one of India's most notorious gangsters. Boy goes on quizshow. Girl escapes. Boy and girl are reunited. Doesn't it bring a tear to your eye? Seriously, it's really moving. It's a classic love story - in that the duo face obstacles that keep them apart - with a modern twist. The kissing of the scar scene was poignant too. It must symbolise something. Love and happiness through hardship and adversity, perhaps?

Another thing that really impressed me was the soundtrack. Every song was catchy, upbeat, uplifting and stayed in your head. They all fit the scene they were with perfectly as well. A. R. Rahman created some enjoyably original tracks in a Bollywood/Indian style that are a welcome change to the conventional strings and brass orchestra and to work with M.I.A. was an absolutely brilliant choice. One of Rahman and M.I.A.'s songs, O Saya, has been nominated for an Oscar and it is an Oscar that they both deserve Ė M.I.A. especially as she is a terrific artist and this is the first occasion where she has written and performed a song for the direct use in a movie. Coincidentally, I was listening to her second album, Kala, on the way to the cinema and this was before I actually knew a few of her songs were used in Slumdog. I bet it comes as no surprise if I say I was listening to it on the way back even more! Jai Ho, the song/music video playing over the end credits has also received an Oscar nom, meaning another for A. R. Rahman, the lucky pig. Which leads me on to my next point...
The ending. I'm not going to give too much away as I don't want to spoil it. Let's just say it's touching, emotional and gratifying and gives the audience just what they were hoping for, especially with the state that the world is in today. And then there's the song as mentioned in the previous paragraph. You'd have to come up with a whole new word to describe the feelings that that song evoke! No you wouldn't, 'cause I've just thought of one: transported. Ooh, I've thought of another! Ė 'Exultant'. How about that one, eh? How about that for a word? Yeah. Exultant.
I have started so I shall finish:
The most striking detail of the film's main plot of rags-to-riches was that, whilst on the gameshow, a whole country was united through Jamal Malik's determination and courage in a way that subtly resembles the work of Gandhi. You will find yourself cheering Malik on because this boy, this underdog, has brought vicariousness to millions across the nation and proves that tiny acorns
grow mighty oaks.
And now the hard part:
I am not going to try and wheedle out a negative point just for the sake of it because there are hardly any.

One thing that I did notice, however, was that some of the links between Malik's childhood and why he knows the answers to the questions were rather tenuous and, unless there is more that we don't see, you may wonder how he does actually know the answers. There's a question on cricket, for instance, and it is explained that he knows the answer because he was in a house at the same time that a cricket match was being broadcast on television. But he doesn't really look at the television screen or take any notice of it, so how does he know the answer? Please stop me as I am just nit-picking now.

Verdict:
A movie that stays with you for a long time and one that you leave feeling happy. It will make you want to change the world.

-----------------------------

STALKER

Directed by Andrie Tarkovsky.

While watching this film, I had two distinct feelings towards it, a part of me was left in awe, another part of me was just awaiting it to end. This could easily be the best of Tarkovsky's work I've seen yet (the rest being Solyaris, Zerkalo and Andrie Rublev), and at the same time the least engaging. It's as enigmatic as Zerkalo, slower than Solyaris, but it feels less episodic than Zerkalo and Andrie Rublev. It's also as complicated to review as Zerkalo. It is based on Roadside Picnic, a novel by Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, though it does differ from it's original source. The novel does give us a reason of what is The Zone, the film doesn't.

So, in an unnamed country in an unknown time, there is an area condoned by the government called The Zone. No one knows how it came to be there, some suspect it was a meteorite, but it also hinted it was caused by an alien landing. The film starts in the outskirts of this Zone, where the Stalker lives. The Stalker meets with two other traveller's which he will guide in throughout the Zone in a nearby bar. They will be known as Writer and Professor. They infiltrate the Zone and start a voyage towards the Room, where their most profound and innermost desires shall be realized., but first they have to surpass the traps and find the Room, in place where the laws of physics and geography don't seem to apply. If this was an American film, you can imagine it being filled with lots of trap sequences and action, but this is a Tarkovsky film, so expect a lot of philosophical talk, shots of nature and long takes with slow, subtle uses of camera.

The film apparently had some problems during filming, that led to the change in cinematographers (Georgy Rerberg was replaced by Aleksandr Knyazhinsky) and a defect in film stock footage led to Tarkovsky burning all the outdoor film footage and the film to almost be stopped. In order to prevent this, Tarkovsky separated the film in two parts. This can be felt in the in the film. The first part and second part feel like different films with the same story, ideas and actors. The first part is quite fast paced (for a Tarkovsky film), as the three protagonists get to the Zone, the second half doesn't go any further. The narration halts and it increases in discussions that halt the narrative of the film or long takes of silence. The scenes are long in themselves and one sequence in a part of the Zone can involve the protagonists arguing for quite a long time. This is as much a positive as a negative. It helps the film develop it's themes and ideas well, but it cheats your expectations. The first half is quite hurried in pacing, the second part goes very little in terms of plot but emphasizes on it's themes. It is as brilliant as it is frustrating. The long takes can work at times, giving the desirable effect, in others they just annoy. And they can be both, as seen in one final long take behind close to the Room. It can be a very heavy film to watch, and also a frustrating one, but it is rewarding.

The philosophical discussions can be the downfall of many films, losing any attachment an audience can have with a film, but here, they are in tone with the film. Thankfully, the discussions are fascinating. They are not a problem and can be a joy to listen and examine, the problem can be the long takes, where they are quite long and silent, with too little at times happening in them. It drags the film down, more than it should, and it becomes more a chore than intellectually stimulating and engaging. They do deliver some tension(the tunnel sequence is an example). The cinematography though is outstanding, and one of the best examples ever seen on film. I could go as far as to say at times it is the most beautiful to appear in a film made by this director. It is gives the Zone a metaphysical feeling, peaceful but dangerous, it gives the Zone, especially in the second half, a feeling of magic like that in found in Oz (the fairy land, not the prison where death and hatred are the course of the day) . Tarkovsky makes the best use of his minimal sets, to great effect. It feels outwardly, the laws of physics don't apply and physically, it doesn't make any sense, with the landscapes and settings changing all the time. Tarkovsky also uses colour to great effect, making the outskirts of the Zone black and white, while the Zone itself is in colour, showing liberty in the Zone not found in the urban settings. The soundtrack is also fantastic, giving the film the right atmosphere.

Characters are archetypes of science (Professor) and literature (Writer) and maybe the artist(Stalker). Yet, they have a few traits to make them to feel more 3Dimensional. The Writer cannot feel any menace in the Zone, the Professor has some plans of his own and his motives to be in the Zone, and the Stalker has a family. They do feel human even though at times they seem more representations.

The film at the end is an enigma, it never fully even describes what happens in the end. It leaves all interpretation to the viewer. It is a film with some frustrations, but the overall effect is a magical one, filled with beauty and mystery. So an 8.5/10 or a..........

B+
-----------------------

2nd Place:  ThatLittleMonkey  .............Page 61

Wall-E (u)
Back in 2007, the Monkeyman rocked up with his last review of Ratatouille.  A divisive review, one that took a very much underwhelmed view of an movie with overwhelming critical praise.  In closing, I submitted a final thought - would Wall-E be a continuation of Pixar's downward trajectory or would we once again fall in love with the Greatest Animation Studio Ever. So here I am, rather appropriately and...

Well, shut me the hell up!

Pros:

It's amazing that I felt so passionate about responding to the praise of Ratatouille that I'd write a review, and that the next film I felt so strongly about was Wall-E.  It got my critical juices going once again.  Small pro, but valid nonetheless...

This is the Future
Pixar, once again, raised the bar.  Wall-E looks just spectacular.  From the garbage-filled vistas that open the movie, you know you're watching something special.  Is it too up my own arse to say that Pixar are artists?  I mean, honest to goodness artists.  Because everything is imbued with a beauty that other CGI films still struggle to attain.  In 2008, Kung Fu Panda came close, looks-wise, but still short of the yardstick set down by John Lasseter's boys and girls.  Appropriately, I watched both these movies in the same sitting and side by side, it's clear which is the masterpiece and which is the powderpuff slice of entertainment.  I can't wait until the day I can invest in a Blu-Ray player and see this in glorious HD.  Soon, my beauty.  Sooooon.

Another level
So, what is Wall-E the movie?  There was a wonderful moment when EVE and Wall-E are flying in space together and my wife turned to me with utter delight in her voice and said "Aw, it's a love story!".  But this was almost an hour into the movie and already, so much more had been layered upon it.  A silent comedy?  Yep.  An environmental polemic?  Yep.  A satire on the nature of humanity and where we are going to end up? Yep.   And oh yes indeedy, as EVE becomes more and more amused and intrigued by the persistance of this little worker droid, it does become an utterly convincing love story.  Between robots.  Who's only exchanges are the words "Eeeeeeve", "Wwwwaaaalllll-EEEEE" and some other unitelligable beeping.  Now that is proper, full-on, dyed-in-the-wool genius.

I wonder why... he's the greatest dancer...
The hero.  Our hero. Johnny 5 may have got all the killer lines, but his cuter little brother snapped up the family charm.  Wall-E is little more than a box on wheels, with hands and binoculars for eyes, but if you can find a cuter sight in the cinema than the little fella taking a girl back to his pad for the first time, then well... you must have cheated and stapled kittens to it...  As alluded to earlier, Wall-E doesn't talk, but his tenacity, his personality and his charm shine through.  Not to make it sound like I've got it in for the Rat Film, but Remy and Luigi were lacking this spark.  This little twinkle that makes the viewer disregard what he's rooting for and just go with it wholeheartedly.  To root for him.  To will him to get the girl.  To become a hero.

Shhh...don't cheapen this...
Amen to the man that sayeth unto his colleagues "I don't care.  No dialogue until it's absolutely necessary."  For he is the man who knoweth his shit...eth.  Much has been made of the opening sequence and it's lack of dialogue, which, let's be frank, is a load of testes.  Who honestly cares about talking when the action on screen is as beautiful, hilarious and endearing?  Watching Wall-E go about his daily business is as much of an exposition that you need.  Hey, Pixar even throw in a little dark comedy with our little robot mate nicking the treads of one of his expired colleagues.  But he's so cute, who cares?

Cons:

Erm... I got nothing...
Seriously.

OK, this doesn't concern you...
A reaction and retort in that order, if you will indulge me.  Firstly, Wall-E carries a pro-environmentalism message written large through the middle of it.  Kudos for this and the anti-litter campaigns that Wall-E himself was plastered across.  It all makes sense.  What a shame it is that whoever watches this will nod sagely at the end and promptly slip back into there usual wasteful, slovenly ways...  As for the retort, to the reviewers and general public who were offended and unimpressed by the portrail of the humans, well...that's where we're heading people.  Don't mash your fat fingers against the keyboard in disgust, get out there and do something about it.  Pixar are just calling it like they see it, and we should count ourselves lucky it was them that said it, otherwise it could've ended up hamfisted and mawkish instead of the heartwarming epiphany we were rewarded with.

IN SUMMARY
Everything you've come to expect from the finest purveyors of animated cinema around and THE return to form.  Wall-E fits snuggly into the top end of the Pixar canon - as gorgeous, as heartwarming, as funny, as sweet and as intelligent as the best of it's predeccesors.  Perfection.

-------------------

Honorable Mention Award:  Trained Filmsassin........Page 60

Creepshow

positives

-The style is absoutley brilliant. Kinda trashy but in a good way.

-The humour. It's very tounge in cheek and a perfect fit for the style.

-Some genius moments. I won't spoil them for you however..

-The acting is brilliant. Neilson in particular was fantastic as was the lead in 'The Crate'. I forget his name

-The effects were brilliant, especially for their time, and for the budget too...

-Some of the camera angles were brilliant.

-The stories were spectacular and nothing short of genius. Fathers Day, The Crate, The Lonesome Death, Something To Tide You Over With all stand out in particular

-The Lonesome Death was brilliant. While not the one to feature the scares, the ending is quite unexpected and kind of tragic. Fathers Day is genius, Tide was truly nasty and scary in places and The Crate is as chilling as late november wind.

Negatives

Nothing. It's just so fucking genius

In Conclusion

Music- Fantastic and just perfect for the style of the film

Scenery- Fantastic and again perfect for the style of the film

Performance- Fantastic, although the Kings performance was a little hammy and out of place

Direction- Brilliant. Interesting camera angles and a brilliant style

100%

Note i kept saying style alot. Sorry but the style was really good and stood out for the film. It really kept in style to the EC comics in the 1950s this was paying homage too..
----------------------------------

Thank you for stopping by the awards ceremony.

Excellent reviews by SadFace and Deviation, Im glad I watched 'Slumdog' so that I was able to enjoy that review.  Deviation blew me out of the water with that review, that film is on my 'Must Watch List'.

Some of you may be asking why Amelie's Oscar Season review did not receieve an award---her review doesnt qualify for the month of JANUARY as it was posted on FEBRUARY 1st. But it does qualify for the FEBRUARY awards, sure she is the front-runner right now with that exquisite review, but nothing is written in stone. So try your best and lets see if you can dethrone her.

Thank you all for your reviews and thank you to everyone who just popped in to check it out.

Next month these will be handed out these :

So make those reviews really good.  

See you at the end of the month.

< Message edited by wgamador -- 17/2/2009 10:11:55 PM >

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 1842
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/2/2009 10:14:17 PM   
matthewforan

Well done guys those are some good reviews. I promise to be back bigger and better soon.

When are the reviews of 2008 going to be announced?

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1843
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/2/2009 10:44:08 PM   

Woo, tho Monkey should have won it! 

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 1844
RE: Mini Reviews - 17/2/2009 10:44:37 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

Well done guys those are some good reviews. I promise to be back bigger and better soon.

When are the reviews of 2008 going to be announced?

They are coming. I promise. I havent had the time to read all the nominees i have printed out. Im almost there though.

Post #: 1845
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 5:06:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Well deserved winners!

Wags, I don't envy you your task!! I'd give an award everybody

Much more better!

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1846
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 3:22:42 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

Wow, another 2nd.  For another Pixar film.  Thank you.

And thanks for your words of support Rob, nice to know you enjoyed it.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

Post #: 1847
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 3:25:41 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Wags, I don't envy you your task!! I'd give an award everybody

and thats just for the month, imagine what I have to do to pick the Review of the Year. I really do put work into this.

Post #: 1848
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 5:13:28 PM   
matthewforan

The moment you've all been waiting for is almost here. My first review of 09 will be on tonight.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1849
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 8:34:14 PM   
matthewforan

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Directed and Written by Woody Allen
Starring: Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz,.

Plot

Vicky (Hall) and Cristina (Johansson) best friends since college are heading to Barcelona, Vicky to learn about Catalan culture and Cristina to escape yet another failed relationship. The vacation starts off with a bit of sight seeing and the usually tourists things. This is until Juan Antonio (Bardem) an up and coming painter comes to their table with a proposition of a weekend of great wine, food and sex. The three go about the weekend without much conflict until Antonio's ex Maria (Cruz) walks through the door.

Fifteen minutes into the movie I began to think to myself, what has he done? This voice over is terrible and the looping serenade to Barcelona is beginning to get annoying. When is this going to become a Woody Allen movie? So I started to think back over the last 3 years of Woody Allen's career and remembered that he has had some hash times of late, his London films haven't been warmly greeted by his fans or by the critics. But after seeing Vicky Cristina Barcelona it is clear what has been wrong, the weather just hasn't been nice enough he has clearly needed the sun because it has rejuvenated him bringing sun, sights and lust to our screens. We kicked off with a small voiceover intro to our characters; fair enough I thought at least we don't have to have the characters do it themselves which always seems so forced in many movies. But it continues and goes on to tell you about where they had dinner and what party they are at. I'm not going to lie I thought the worst.

But then the voice over stops and we are introduced to the conflict with in the first 20 minutes, there is no messing about with formula for Allen and I love him for it. Bardem's Juan Antonio glides onto the screen and would melt the straightest of men with his voice as he propositions the two leading ladies to a weekend they'll never forget. Now this is where the directors eye earns its keep because he takes you on a tour of some of the most fantastic looking locations, and you'd be booking your ticket to Barcelona if you weren't transfixed by the stunning scenery.

As with any love triangles there is the inevitable twists and turns especially since fiancťs and ex-wives enter the picture making this a love pentagon of some kind.

Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson and Penelope Cruz are all on career best. Hall's cautious and tense Vicky is the yang to Johansson's Christina's ying. Christina is high on life trying to make the most of everything she can especially when it comes to men. The moment that she meets Antonio is a great bit of observational humour with Christina's eyes gazing at Antonio in a way that makes you jealous beyond all comprehension. And I firmly believe that she is the stand out of the movie, all of the awards and plaudits seem to be going the way of Cruz and she is fantastic as the psycho ex-wife of Antonio's a smart and savvy performance that any actress that would be proud to call their own.

But for myself I think Johansson is delightful, smart warm and with some nice lines and you really feel sorry that she isn't able to cut a break just when things seem to be going her way. Javier Bardem basically plays the only lead male, the others are just there to move the plot along. This is why his role is so important and he is yet again brilliant, it's hard to believe it's the same man that scared you shitless in No Country For Old Men. He's smooth, smart and caring not your typical depiction of a Latin male in movies.

Verdict

Vicky Christina Barcelona will make you want to do many things, go to Barcelona, take up Spanish guitar, sleep with Scarlett Johansson or Javier Bardem depending on your sexual preference but you feel as though you've done it all in the 100 minutes of Woody Allen's latest. He is back and he believe it or not has made one of the best films of the year so far not to mention the sexiest.

86%

< Message edited by matthewforan -- 18/2/2009 8:35:02 PM >

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 1850
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 9:25:02 PM   
wgamador

Excellent Matthew!!

"Bardem's Juan Antonio glides onto the screen and would melt the straightest of men with his voice as he propositions the two leading ladies to a weekend they'll never forget."

"He's smooth, smart and caring not your typical depiction of a Latin male in movies."

For once, thank god.

Post #: 1851
RE: Mini Reviews - 18/2/2009 11:44:54 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

Bring on the competition.  I'll be adding to my Oscar review - stay tuned for Benjamin Button and The Wrestler.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1852
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/2/2009 12:28:18 AM   

*sits and waits with popcorn in one hand* 

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1853
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/2/2009 12:33:48 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Amelie_Scotland

Bring on the competition.  I'll be adding to my Oscar review - stay tuned for Benjamin Button and The Wrestler.

The Scots fighting amongst themselves. (hardly the first time)

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1854
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/2/2009 2:32:42 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

i think i might write a review of Aladdin and Amelie... watch this space.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 1855
RE: Mini Reviews - 19/2/2009 9:49:46 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

i think i might write a review of Aladdin and Amelie... watch this space.

Cool. Just dont forget to cut and paste your post on WORD before you submit it , in case your session times out and do all that work for nothing.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 1856
RE: Mini Reviews - 20/2/2009 8:24:12 AM   
Trained Filmsassin

Yay! I got a honurable mention! 

Next i'm going to do a review of the Alien quadrilogy.

Watch this space, it's gonna be epic guys...

Okay, i'll get out, but then i'll come back in and kick your motherfuckin' ass.

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1857
RE: Mini Reviews - 20/2/2009 3:11:05 PM   
wgamador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trained Filmsassin

Watch this space, it's gonna be epic guys...

Anything else would be    uncivilized.
We look forward to it.

(in reply to Trained Filmsassin)
Post #: 1858
RE: Mini Reviews - 21/2/2009 5:41:44 PM   
matthewforan

Revolutionary Road and Milk are going to be my next reviews hopefully have them up by tomorrow night. 

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 1859
RE: Mini Reviews - 21/2/2009 6:48:21 PM   

COMING SOON:

Great film, saw it today, review tommorow maybe...

Post #: 1860
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Fun And Games >> RE: Mini Reviews Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI