Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Penis Envy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Penis Envy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Penis Envy - 25/9/2006 11:59:07 AM   
punchdrunk

Man rejects first penis transplant

Ian Sample, science correspondent
Source Gaurdian

Chinese surgeons have performed the world's first penis transplant on a man whose organ was damaged beyond repair in an accident this year. The incident left the man with a 1cm-long stump with which he was unable to urinate or have sexual intercourse. "His quality of life was affected severely," said Dr Weilie Hu, a surgeon at Guangzhou General Hospital.
Doctors spent 15 hours attaching a 10cm penis to the 44-year-old patient after the parents of a brain-dead man half his age agreed to donate their son's organ.
The procedure, described in a case study due to appear in the journal European Urology next month, represents a big leap forward in transplant surgery; it required complex microsurgery to connect nerves and tiny blood vessels.
The surgical team claims the operation was a success. After 10 days, tests revealed the organ had a rich blood supply and the man was able to urinate normally.
Doctors have previously succeeded in reuniting men with their sexual organs after traumatic accidents or attacks, but the Guangzhou operation is the first in which a donor penis has successfully been attached to another man.
Although the operation was a surgical success, surgeons said they had to remove the penis two weeks later. "Because of a severe psychological problem of the recipient and his wife, the transplanted penis regretfully had to be cut off," Dr Hu said. An examination of the organ showed no signs of it being rejected by the body.
Jean-Michel Dubernard, the French surgeon who performed the world's first face transplant on a woman who had been attacked by a dog this year, said psychological factors were a serious issue for many patients receiving certain "allografts", or organs from donors. "Psychological consequences of hand and face allografts show that it is not so easy to use and see permanently a dead person's hands, nor is it easy to look in a mirror to see a dead person's face," he wrote in the journal. "Clearly, in the Chinese case the failure at a very early stage was first psychological. It involved the recipient's wife and raised many questions."
In 2001, surgeons were forced to amputate the world's first transplanted hand from Clint Hallam, a 50-year-old New Zealander, who said he wanted the "hideous and withered" hand removed because he had become "mentally detached" from it. The original transplant was conducted by Prof Dubernard's team at the Edouard Herriot Hospital in Lyons, who have since performed the world's first double arm transplant.
Andrew George, a transplant expert at Imperial College, London, said: "Doing a penis transplant should be no more complex than anything else. But it takes time for nerve sensations to kick in and it's not clear whether the patient would ever be able to have sex with it. The question is whether it's right to be doing a transplant for what may be seen as cosmetic reasons."
Post #: 1
RE: Penis Envy - 25/9/2006 12:21:29 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Chinese surgeons have performed the world's first penis transplant on a man whose organ was damaged beyond repair in an accident this year

Was this some sort of zip accident? I hope it wasn't a belt sander accident.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 2
RE: Penis Envy - 25/9/2006 3:03:38 PM   
dh_19

I don't understand where the penis envy comes into all this? If i'm totally honest i'm only a little jealous of his 1cm stump. Seriously though, i'm pretty sure the guy who had the unsuccessful transplant is going to be envious of everyone's penis!

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 3
RE: Penis Envy - 25/9/2006 4:00:48 PM   
lulu karma

I could see the psychological issue with this.  It would be difficult I imagine to be in the moments of intimacy and realize that the penis you are using and that is being erm, used on you is from a stranger.

Yet, I wonder how this aspect compares to the man having lost most of his penis.  Still, from other cases, it seems people would rather have their own parts than those of a donor.  However, this doesn't seem to apply to other organs such as kidneys, hearts, etc.  Perhaps because we can't see those?

I feel like I'm Han Solo, and you're Chewie and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that fucked-up bar.

This is the captain speaking. It appears we are going down. Now may be the time to reflect upon your life and pray to whatever deity you believe in. We know you have your choice of airlines and apparently you made the wrong one.

The eyes are the nipples of the face.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 4
RE: Penis Envy - 25/9/2006 6:01:49 PM   
Skiba

I can't possibly imagine the psychological feelings he must have but surely the ability to piss normally and possibly still have sex would surely be somehting you would at least try to overcome??

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 5
RE: Penis Envy - 26/9/2006 12:02:37 AM   
Izzardesque2

quote:

ORIGINAL: lulu karma

However, this doesn't seem to apply to other organs such as kidneys, hearts, etc.  Perhaps because we can't see those?

I would suggest that comes partly from the fact that we generally can't see, feel or touch our internal organs, partly from the fact that we would often die if we didn't have them and also we very rarely ask anyone to get intimate with our kidneys!!

"Oh baby, your kidneys are so HOT. They make me so horny...."
"They're not MINE, dammit!!!!! Noooooooooooo....."

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to lulu karma)
Post #: 6
RE: Penis Envy - 28/9/2006 4:55:50 AM   
m_er

get well soon

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Penis Envy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI