Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The PS3 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The PS3 Thread Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The PS3 Thread - 4/9/2011 12:31:32 PM   
Chief Wiggum

for nearly 2GB?! It might be quicker for you to download my updates and send them on a usb stick in the post

It's not really the PSN's fault or the updates required (although the majority of the updates are DLC that require a 100kb unlock code) more that I live in the middle of nowhere, and we have a squirrel that gnaws at the phone line so every time it rains the internet goes off.

which isn't so bad, but if it happens through a long update I have to stop and start again

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 3391
RE: The PS3 Thread - 4/9/2011 5:39:34 PM   
indysgill

Yep, I get just over a Mb a second most times. 

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 3392
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 2:45:00 PM   
Vadersville

Anyone else had BBC iplayer drop off their system since the latest update? I've followed all the solutions I've found online but still no joy. Even if I use the web browser, it refuses to let me click on and watch any of the programmes on the iplayer website. Help!

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 3393
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 2:56:44 PM   
Chief

Yes, I did a while ago. Can't remember how I fixed it. I'm sure the answer is further back this thread.

Post #: 3394
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 3:58:38 PM   
thepluginbaby

Got my PS3 fixed from an independent repair guy. Fuck you Sony...

In regards to the Resistance 3 beta, is it closed or just not working? because I can't get a game to save my life.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3395
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 4:07:37 PM   
Chief

Vadersville, not the same problem but try clearing the cache & cookies:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stuntgoat

I had same problem with the iplayer yesterday, wanted to watch Russell Howard and the same, no play button at all!

Managed to sort it. Clear the cache and cookies and that should do it.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3396
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 6:00:03 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Anyone else had BBC iplayer drop off their system since the latest update? I've followed all the solutions I've found online but still no joy. Even if I use the web browser, it refuses to let me click on and watch any of the programmes on the iplayer website. Help!

there's a new section called tv players or something.if you go in there you can re-install it again

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 3397
RE: The PS3 Thread - 6/9/2011 8:55:48 PM   
Vadersville

Thanks, Chief, tried that and still no good.

Yeah, for some reason I don't even have the new TV icon, Chief Wiggum.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 7/9/2011 11:57:19 AM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

Post #: 3398
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 9:26:48 AM   
Stuntgoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Got my PS3 fixed from an independent repair guy. Fuck you Sony...

In regards to the Resistance 3 beta, is it closed or just not working? because I can't get a game to save my life.

i haven't managed to get a single game on it at all. Everytime I tried I got stuck in a post game menu saying I'd won the match! Tried it last night couldn't even find a game! That was a waste of a download!

We're gonna need a bigger boat!
PSN: Stuntgoat

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 3399
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 1:59:39 PM   
the anomaly

Hmmm

Console from Tesco 160GB for £170

OR

Console from Play.Com 320GB + Infamous 2 £234.99

???

I would like to keep cost down and will probably rent and borrow most games. Should I go for the bigger HD or just save my money?

It will be my secondary console. Only want to play a few exclusives and watch blue rays/lovefilm.

(in reply to Stuntgoat)
Post #: 3400
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 3:26:28 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

I think you've answered your own question. If you're not that bothered about the storage space, it being your 2nd console, then go for the £170 option. I'm sure you'll be able to find Infamous 2 fairly cheap.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 3401
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 9:31:58 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

I think you've answered your own question. If you're not that bothered about the storage space, it being your 2nd console, then go for the £170 option. I'm sure you'll be able to find Infamous 2 fairly cheap.

I went for the big bad HDD

I just thought it would be worth it in the long run

The voucher ran out at Tesco and it went from £160 to £175 ...

I've fussed over getting it for A-G-E-S ... I've done it now.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 3402
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 10:48:20 PM   
SWOTBM

^^^ I would have gone for the cheaper deal.  Even at £175 you could buy a dirt cheap HDD for about £25 and probably find Infamous 2 instore for cheaper than £35.  Plus there are way better PS3 exclusives out there than Infamous 2. 

Still anyway, welcome to the club

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 3403
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 10:58:44 PM   
Hood_Man

I cancelled my order with Play.com by the way, because since I placed the order on 28th of August it's been stuck on "Awaiting stock" in the order details section.

Even though there's no mention of that on the item page, which just says dispatch within 8-10 days. I looked on Google and apparently some people have waited months for items to be stocked, after they'd ordered.

I dunno... am I right to think that's pretty naughty of them? They hadn't taken any money from me, but they didn't mention anywhere that they were out of stock until I'd placed the order. I've never had a problem with them before though.

They had however sent me my copy of Top Spin 4 straight away, which has been sitting on my shelf in my bedroom staring at me. What a tease!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3404
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 10:59:22 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

^^^ I would have gone for the cheaper deal.  Even at £175 you could buy a dirt cheap HDD for about £25 and probably find Infamous 2 instore for cheaper than £35.  Plus there are way better PS3 exclusives out there than Infamous 2. 

Still anyway, welcome to the club

Hmmm that works out about the same though? Your saying £200 for the console. I've looked for Infamous 2 online and it's going for £29.99 most places.

I do wish I got the console for £160 but that's gone now If you can show me a better deal let me know! This will take 10 days from play.com and well I can still cancel I've just ordered.

My mate just bought a PS3 160GB + Dues Ex for £205. So I figured the Infamous deal was better?

Regarding exclusives I couldn't find any decent exclusive bundles apart from this ... I was thinking to wait for Uncharted 3? Honestly PS3 for me is

MGS4 - Going to borrow from various
God of War 3 - Going to borrow from various
Uncharted Series - Going to borrow from various
Heavy Rain - Going to borrow from various
The Last Guardian - Still not out
FF7 - Probably the only PSN game I'll buy

Nothing else interests me oh I guess Infamous 2 ... too I see that as just messing around on. Feel free to recommend other games but

- No driving games
- FPS/Shooting - I without doubt get my fix on X360 so nothing here
- No Sports games

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 7/9/2011 11:05:24 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3405
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 11:16:07 PM   
SWOTBM

^^^^  I should slap you for not including Demon's Souls in that list 

Others I would recommend:
Yakuza 3 and 4
Little Big Planet 1 and 2
Flower and Journey (when the latter is release)

I know you said no FPS', but I would at least give Killzone 2 a shot, it's dirt cheap in most stores and miles better than KZ3 imo.

Re the best deal, I would still go with the bog standard cheapest PS3.  You can always upgradethe HDD if you need to (seriously, the install/updates aren't that big) and I would spend the left over monies on better games.

Post #: 3406
RE: The PS3 Thread - 7/9/2011 11:20:29 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

Yakuza 3 and 4

I know you said no FPS', but I would at least give Killzone 2 a shot, it's dirt cheap in most stores and miles better than KZ3 imo.

Re the best deal, I would still go with the bog standard cheapest PS3.  You can always upgradethe HDD if you need to (seriously, the install/updates aren't that big) and I would spend the left over monies on better games.

Hahah yeah I will give Demon Souls a go as well. Though to be honest I was just going to go right for the Sequel which is on X360 too.

Yakuza - I hated the first one ... alright not hated but had my fill of the series after that. Didn't see what was so special about it. Though my mate loves the series and seeing him play 3? Looked much better.

Agreed Little Big Planet would get a spin

I would probably try the story of Kill Zone and Resistance? But yeah I wouldn't be sticking to their multiplayer.

Maybe I will just wait ... I dunno. From Hood Man's post it sounds like I can cancel my play.com order at anytime.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3407
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 9:09:15 AM   
Chief

Play are a bunch of bastards. After using them for years without problem I ordered a mobile as a Xmas present a couple of years ago. Same story, showing in stock but never turned up but they'd took the money (£300). Had to phone them and that's when they told me they wouldn't have any until after Xmas and it would take 10 days to get my money back.

So that left me without a present for the Mrs and no money to get another one.

They lost a loyal customer that day.

Post #: 3408
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 2:18:26 PM   
Brobe

Ahoy chaps, I've got a couple of questions; I've just got my UK/PAL PS3 over to me in Canada/NTSC and having plugged it in found that although the power works it shows up black and white on a TV through the component/scart cable, which I understand to be because of the PAL/NTSC difference but I was wondering if I got a new monitor (as I'm planning on doing anyway) with an HDMI slot would things work any better? ie: in colour.

Also, has anyone had any experience upgrading the hard drive as mine is a measly 80GB and I've ran out of space with the AC beta and the free games from PSN debacle, I had a look around and the process seems fairly simple, but I saw some places talking about the PS3 not being able to handle a really large (500GB/1TB) new drive, was this the case or is it whatever you want now? (Mine is an old fat PS3 if that makes a difference).

Thanks!

Bow ties are cool.

PSN ID: Paperchris

http://twitter.com/iamchriswright

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3409
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 2:39:02 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Yakuza 3 and 4

Hahah yeah I will give Demon Souls a go as well. Though to be honest I was just going to go right for the Sequel which is on X360 too.

Yakuza - I hated the first one ... alright not hated but had my fill of the series after that. Didn't see what was so special about it. Though my mate loves the series and seeing him play 3? Looked much better.

I would probably try the story of Kill Zone and Resistance? But yeah I wouldn't be sticking to their multiplayer.

Maybe I will just wait ... I dunno. From Hood Man's post it sounds like I can cancel my play.com order at anytime.

The Uncharted series
Infamous 1 + 2
I quite like the Resistance series as well, Killzone is great but not amazing and certainly not a Halo killer. I had more fun playing Resistance than Killzone.

Post #: 3410
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 7:56:06 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

Yakuza 3 and 4

The Uncharted series
Infamous 1 + 2
I quite like the Resistance series as well, Killzone is great but not amazing and certainly not a Halo killer. I had more fun playing Resistance than Killzone.

Cheers! though those games were covered in my posts above.

I can order a Resistance 3 bundle for the same price ... but it's the third game ... a shooter and it just hasn't capture me.

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 3411
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 10:02:59 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

Woah Woah Woah! Anomaly, what the hell are you doing in this thread????

I'd second InFamous - I completed the first one today - after starting over a year ago! - and while it does start the get a bit repetitive (which is why it has taken me a year to complete), the final act is pretty incredible.

IMO Killzone 2 is the best fps I have played in a long while. The online is great, seemless and addictive and the weighted mechanics go a long way into making the experience more realistic. I want to buy Killzone 3 but lack of dolla wont allow me to.

Glad to see Resistance 3 getting good reviews, think I might go out and buy 2 tomorrow. I haven't played it yet and it's waaaay cheaper atm.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brobe

Ahoy chaps, I've got a couple of questions; I've just got my UK/PAL PS3 over to me in Canada/NTSC and having plugged it in found that although the power works it shows up black and white on a TV through the component/scart cable, which I understand to be because of the PAL/NTSC difference but I was wondering if I got a new monitor (as I'm planning on doing anyway) with an HDMI slot would things work any better? ie: in colour.

Thanks!

If you hold down the on/off button for 5 seconds (I think) you should get something on your tv asking you if you want to change the settings so the ps3 can adapt to you tv.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 3412
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 10:48:26 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

Woah Woah Woah! Anomaly, what the hell are you doing in this thread????

Slumming it for awhile?

I've always said I'd check the PS3 out ... eventually. Xbox 360 is still number one for my gaming fix, don't you worry about that!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

I'd second InFamous - I completed the first one today - after starting over a year ago! - and while it does start the get a bit repetitive (which is why it has taken me a year to complete), the final act is pretty incredible.

IMO Killzone 2 is the best fps I have played in a long while. The online is great, seemless and addictive and the weighted mechanics go a long way into making the experience more realistic. I want to buy Killzone 3 but lack of dolla wont allow me to.

Glad to see Resistance 3 getting good reviews, think I might go out and buy 2 tomorrow. I haven't played it yet and it's waaaay cheaper atm.

Infamous looked fun enough. I'm getting the second one with the console. Is it worth trying the first game beforehand? I may just skip it.

Killzone ... I may check out at some point but along with the Resistance series it's at the bottom of the pile. Gears of War 3 is going to be filling my shoot em up needs no doubt. I'm big on Halo too and need be play Reach more.

I guess I know what I want in terms of full price games. Any PSN games I need? I heard from a mate you can only download each game five times? Bit harsh? But on the other hand I've had kind offers to have some games "gifted" to me as people have spare downloads.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 3413
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 11:03:42 PM   
SWOTBM

The only PSN games I've downloaded are Flower and the original MGS (which I shall be buying again as part of the MGS collection ).  Also look out for Journey when it's released.  I don't get why it's harsh that you can only download the game five times.  The games are playable across multiple accounts and you only need to download it again if you buy and new PS3 or upgrade the HDD. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brobe

Also, has anyone had any experience upgrading the hard drive as mine is a measly 80GB and I've ran out of space with the AC beta and the free games from PSN debacle, I had a look around and the process seems fairly simple, but I saw some places talking about the PS3 not being able to handle a really large (500GB/1TB) new drive, was this the case or is it whatever you want now? (Mine is an old fat PS3 if that makes a difference).

I upgraded the HDD on my fat 60gb, can't remember if I put a 320 or 500gb HD in it though.  In any case, the process is very simple and there are quite a few tutorial videos on Youtube.  Two tips.  1- make sure you use a screwdriver that fits the screw exactly, as they are fixed in pretty tight (I messed up the crosshead on the first screw I tried to take out and it was a real pain trying to seal the new HD back in the case).  Secondly, back up your data beforehand on a external HD, otherwise you lose all your saves. 

(in reply to Brobe)
Post #: 3414
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 11:12:18 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

The only PSN games I've downloaded are Flower and the original MGS (which I shall be buying again as part of the MGS collection ).  Also look out for Journey when it's released.  I don't get why it's harsh that you can only download the game five times.  The games are playable across multiple accounts and you only need to download it again if you buy and new PS3 or upgrade the HDD. 

Any reason why they went for this? As I said there is a kind of bonus as you can share your games etc

On Xbox Live it's only linked to the profile that buys the game but that person can re-download as much as they like.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3415
RE: The PS3 Thread - 8/9/2011 11:21:18 PM   
SWOTBM

^^^ I've no idea.  I can't imagine the developers are too happy about it either, works for all things like DLC, themes and games etc.  I guess that's why the limited it to five downloads otherwise people would abuse the system.  Even more that they do already

I've never downloaded anything on Live, not that I use my Xbox much anyway, but I thought that downloads were tied to your account.  So if I downloaded something on my Xbox on my account it works, but if my brother uses his account on my Xbox it would not work.  Is that right? 

Post #: 3416
RE: The PS3 Thread - 9/9/2011 9:31:08 AM   
paulyboy

quote:

I've never downloaded anything on Live, not that I use my Xbox much anyway, but I thought that downloads were tied to your account.  So if I downloaded something on my Xbox on my account it works, but if my brother uses his account on my Xbox it would not work.  Is that right? 

Don't think so. It's been a while so apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree but my brothers were always able to log in with their Xbox Live accounts on my 360 and play the full Xbox Live Arcade games I'd paid for etc.

I think with the 360 content is registered to both the account and the console. So anyone can play it on the original console that it was downloaded on, but if you want to play the content eslewhere you can only download/play it with the account it was tied to.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3417
RE: The PS3 Thread - 9/9/2011 12:53:16 PM   
Sleazy

yes Paulyboy has it spot on there.

And yes the PSn titles can be downloaded to 5 consoles, you can at any time cancel the registration on a console to free up another download for a different PS3.

Changing the HDD is easy, you will probably need a usb stick or dc with the boot up firmware which is supplied free of charge on Sonys website.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3418
RE: The PS3 Thread - 9/9/2011 8:06:21 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I cancelled my order with Play.com by the way, because since I placed the order on 28th of August it's been stuck on "Awaiting stock" in the order details section.

Thanks for the heads up.

My order was out of stock too. It did say allow 10 days but still.

I've re-ordered now from Tesco direct £215 for PS3 320GB + Resistance 3 & Battle for LA Blueray. Picking it up after work Monday.
I got that £10 off in the end the voucher is still going. Not as interested in Resistance 3 but it's a better deal.

May end up trading or selling the games and bluray

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 3419
RE: The PS3 Thread - 9/9/2011 8:09:46 PM   
themightyhutch

If you're willing to swap I'll bloody get in on it! That's a corker of a deal I must say.

Post #: 3420
Page:   <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: The PS3 Thread Page: <<   < prev  112 113 [114] 115 116   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI