Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 1/11/2006 10:06:48 AM   
WilliamMunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Would you not agree that Henson is totally over rated though, really? I'd give any number of Welsh centre's a run over the over hyped one. Joes is class and Peel has a bit about him, Wales have the makings of a nice side there. They'll do well I'd say.

Henson is the most overrated player in British Rugby. He lacks the pace to really hurt opposing teams, his defence is solid but he doesn't intimidate the opposition and creatively he is distinctly "meh". So far his entire career has been built on one kick against England. I'd be surprised to see him in the Welsh starting 15.

< Message edited by WilliamMunny -- 1/11/2006 10:07:14 AM >

Harry Dresden - Wizard
Lost items found. Paranormal investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable rates. No love potions, endless purses, parties or other entertainment.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 151
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 1/11/2006 10:25:33 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: WilliamMunny

quote:

Would you not agree that Henson is totally over rated though, really? I'd give any number of Welsh centre's a run over the over hyped one. Joes is class and Peel has a bit about him, Wales have the makings of a nice side there. They'll do well I'd say.

Henson is the most overrated player in British Rugby. He lacks the pace to really hurt opposing teams, his defence is solid but he doesn't intimidate the opposition and creatively he is distinctly "meh". So far his entire career has been built on one kick against England. I'd be surprised to see him in the Welsh starting 15.

Yea but few of the Welsh fans I've spoken to can acknowledge this.

Compared to O Driscoll, D'Arcy or Murphy he's patently average.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to WilliamMunny)
Post #: 152
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 2/11/2006 3:36:34 AM   
Izzardesque2

Overrated? Possibly. But I disagree that his entire career has been based on one kick against England. Having watched him play for his club, he has generally performed week in week out, hence his inclusion in the team. His defence is excellent, he's a strong runner with good lines and adds a decent kicking option out wide. As good as O'Driscoll? PErhaps not, but then few are.

And Peel 'has a bit about him'??? He's one of the best scrum halves if the world, mate!!

Oh, and after Oz lost the Ospreys (a team without many of its internationals!), I'm quietly confident about this weekend!!

< Message edited by Izzardesque2 -- 2/11/2006 3:38:25 AM >

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 153
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 5/11/2006 10:27:17 PM   
Izzardesque2

A draw! A sodding draw!! Staying up until 4am for a draw!!! Gaaah!!

Still, a good game. Plenty of positives for both sides, although I'll wait until I see how the rest of the internations go before claiming 'a new dawn' for Welsh rugby!! We've had far too many false ones....

So seldom are clean

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 154
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 6/11/2006 10:54:59 AM   
Peter Dragon

T'was a good draw though.

That James Hook looks fairly handy too.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

Post #: 155
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 6/11/2006 11:11:11 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

Overrated? Possibly. But I disagree that his entire career has been based on one kick against England. Having watched him play for his club, he has generally performed week in week out, hence his inclusion in the team. His defence is excellent, he's a strong runner with good lines and adds a decent kicking option out wide. As good as O'Driscoll? PErhaps not, but then few are.

And Peel 'has a bit about him'??? He's one of the best scrum halves if the world, mate!!

Oh, and after Oz lost the Ospreys (a team without many of its internationals!), I'm quietly confident about this weekend!!

Don't ever underestimate the Aussies, even if this Aussie team should be hockeyed by most International Sides, they've still got the class of Larkham, Giteau, and above all Latham to fall back on. they'll be alright when they find their best line up. Some fantastic players there.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

Post #: 156
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 10/11/2006 10:20:19 AM   
Peter Dragon

In other news, who do you think will win this weekend?

England v Argentina, I'll say the Argies and Andy to get the old heave ho.
France v New Zealand, boring boring NZ
Ireland v S Africa, Hmmmmmm, it'll be close, I'll be confident and say we'll beat them with a moment of BOD brilliance.
Italy v Australia, Aus, but Italy will definitely compete in this one.
Scotland v Romania, Scotland
Wales v Pacific Island, another close one, I actually think if the Islanders could get their act together they could beat what will essentially be a 2nd Wales XV.

Whaddy think fellas? (Mainly Ram and Izz as nobody else ever seems to be on this thread)

In yet more other news, I have secured two premium seats to IRL V AUS next weekend! Ha ha delighted!!

< Message edited by Peter Dragon -- 10/11/2006 2:40:54 PM >

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 157
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 11/11/2006 11:43:07 AM   
dh_19

Jamie_Peacock_to_the_rescue!

Mason is such a thug. It was great seeing him get smashed again by Kidwell after he was talking shit during the Haka.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 158
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 12/11/2006 9:47:13 PM   
Izzardesque2

Well, how dire were the Boks? Fair play to an on form Irish side taking them to pieces!!

And Robinson surely has to go after this??

So seldom are clean

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 159
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 13/11/2006 2:02:22 PM   
Peter Dragon

NEWS JUST IN!!

Robinson to remain as England coachhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/6143838.stm

Brilliant for the rest of us but what the hell are the RFU thinking?

Post #: 160
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 13/11/2006 2:03:22 PM   
Peter Dragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: dh_19

Mason is such a thug. It was great seeing him get smashedagain by Kidwell after he was talking shit during the Haka.

Was that the League Tri-Nations? GB got a bit of a stuffing there didn't they.
BTW anyone that fronts up to that over rated morris dance that is the Haka these days get my thumbs up.

< Message edited by Peter Dragon -- 13/11/2006 2:05:03 PM >

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 161
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 12:32:03 PM   
keca_2000

Trouble is they can't really just ditch Robinson and leave us coachless for the rest of the autumn tests... Rob Andrews has said quite clearly that he won't step into the breach. It might be best (much as it pains me) to hang on Robinson until this lot of matches are out of the way, then find someone new before the 6 nations. He can't stay - the team don't seem to believe in him anymore, so they don't properly believe in themselves.

On the bright side - OK so we're not playing great, but we still managed to get a few scores past the All Blacks so it could be worse. Right? Ah heck I'm not even convincing myself!

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

Post #: 162
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 12:59:11 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

Well, how dire were the Boks? Fair play to an on form Irish side taking them to pieces!!

And Robinson surely has to go after this??

When you see an advantage you gotta take it and if the Boks were stoopid enough to change around their team then what else do you expect?

Personally I was over the moon at the whole thing

That's me that is!

Post #: 163
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 3:00:44 PM   
theram05

quote:

Ah yea they were poor, but poor Bok sides have come over here in the past and whacked us. I'm quite happy with how we're shaping up so far this season. I fear no one in the Northern Hemisphere at present.

Post #: 164
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 3:00:47 PM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

quote:

Mason is such a thug. It was great seeing him get smashed again by Kidwell after he was talking shit during the Haka.

BTW anyone that fronts up to that over rated morris dance that is the Haka these days get my thumbs up.

Yeah that was in the Tri-Nations although you're wrong in that GB actually won that match!!! With the thread being dominated by posts on how shit England are and whether Andy Robinson should be sacked, i thought i should post a link to good fight!

Post #: 165
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 3:03:10 PM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah that was in the Tri-Nations although you're wrong in that GB actually won that match!!! With the thread being dominated by posts on how shit England are and whether Andy Robinson should be sacked, i thought i should post a link to good fight!

If you wanna find a good fight, see if you can find something about the International Rules "game" between Ireland and Australia, 15 minutes of fighting with the occasional outbreak of football.

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 166
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 3:25:42 PM   
dh_19

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If you wanna find a good fight, see if you can find something about the International Rules "game" between Ireland and Australia, 15 minutes of fighting with the occasional outbreak of football.

I've just watched clips of Ire v Aus clashes from both 2005 & 2006 and they were both brutal. Cheers for the recommendation

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 167
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 15/11/2006 3:36:26 PM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've just watched clips of Ire v Aus clashes from both 2005 & 2006 and they were both brutal. Cheers for the recommendation

Yea, it aint bad, now see if you can find some from the 80's when the Bomber and the Dipper were going at it, hard core stuff my man!

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 168
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 16/11/2006 10:21:55 AM   
Peter Dragon

If you want to see a good old fashioned Rugby Union dust up, nobody, and I mean nobody, does it better than the French club scene.

Check THIS out, watch the crowd near the touchline.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 169
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 16/11/2006 3:13:41 PM   
dh_19

quote:

If you want to see a good old fashioned Rugby Union dust up, nobody, and I mean nobody, does it better than the French club scene.

Check THIS out, watch the crowd near the touchline.

That is really mental!

< Message edited by dh_19 -- 16/11/2006 3:14:16 PM >

Post #: 170
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 19/11/2006 4:24:55 PM   
keca_2000

We won!! England finally won a match. Well I never. So they're not the worst side for 135 years (statistically anyway!). Hurrah! Now maybe we can stop messing about and remember how to play rugby properly. Need to stop making stupid errors though - makes me cringe the number of intercepted passes we've had in the last few matches that have become tries for the other team.

Thank heavens for Josh Lewsey too.  Even if he does play for Wasps...

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 171
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/11/2006 2:39:12 AM   
nevergreen

Things really are going well for us Irish!  

Should be up to 2nd in the world now and deservedly so IMO.  Apart from our props (and flyhalf if Humphreys doesn't come out of retirement for the WC) we really have plenty of strength and depth.  Trimble/Hickie, Dempsey/Murphy, Easterby, Boss and O' Kelly all available to come off the bench.  Also, I'm really liking our back row now with Leamy, Wallace and Best!  Probably the most positive thing to come out of the past 2 weeks is the real sense of confidence within the team. 

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

的知 bored. Episode 1 bored.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 172
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/11/2006 9:36:20 AM   
theram05

O Gara is playing the most complete rugby of his career, I shudder to think what would happen if we were to lose him. I know the option is for Humps to come back and he probably will, but I really would like to see someone else grab the ball somewhere, sometime. Maybe next weekend will tell us more about Paddy but I saw him at the Cup in the States last Summer and it wasn't pretty, I would much prefer to see Staunton in over Wallace.

Getting back to the weekend, fantastic display, great to be where we are now. I just hoep we can keep it up. The injury to Marcus worries me greatly as it is in one of the areas on the field where we are weakest. We have great back up all over the park, even at scrum half now, but if anything happened to ROG or Bull we may as well not show up.

Can't wait for the 6 Nations and a run at the Taffe's and the Frogs.

(in reply to nevergreen)
Post #: 173
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/11/2006 3:07:17 PM   
Peter Dragon

Whoohoo, Ireland up to 3rd in the completely out of touch and pointless IRB rankings.

Still I think, probably us and a fully fit Wales firing on all cylinders are the only nations that could put it up someway to the AB's at the moment. Next weekend in Cardiff will tell us a lot about Wales.

I also still think Munster are better than this Irish team.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 174
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 27/11/2006 10:47:34 AM   
keca_2000

Another good show from the Irish this weekend. Pity I can't say the same for the England team! Who do people think should replace Andy Robinson? I read an article this morning which made a pretty good case for Dean Richards...

Post #: 175
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 28/11/2006 2:56:02 PM   
Tigerlova

should be Deano but can't see him leaving Quins just yet probably gonna end up with Andrew

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 176
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 28/11/2006 3:06:50 PM   
theram05

Curses, I was so hoping England would stick by Robinson.........! Rumour has its Johnno, they'd be nuts to go with him, I'd give Gatty whatever he wants. The RFU have made a fuck of this whole thing though and deserve what they now get.

< Message edited by theram05 -- 28/11/2006 3:07:09 PM >

(in reply to Tigerlova)
Post #: 177
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 29/11/2006 2:47:54 AM   
Izzardesque2

quote:

Next weekend in Cardiff will tell us a lot about Wales.

hmmm.......

So seldom are clean

Post #: 178
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 29/11/2006 9:44:21 AM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

Next weekend in Cardiff will tell us a lot about Wales.

hmmm.......

Thats what you get for pissing the All Balcks off and showing disrespect to tradition.

Post #: 179
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 29/11/2006 1:47:15 PM   
Hooch0959

Well Robinson has gone then, who do folk think will get the job and is the change to late for the WC

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI