Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 8/3/2006 11:39:25 AM   
Funkyrae

My boys have got Sale Sharks on 25th March.  Woo!! 

Should be good.

I'm struggling to decide who gets my love this weekend between Scotland and Ireland.  I think Ireland get the nudge but having lived in Scotland for so long.....

I'll end up tossing a coin at this rate!

That's me that is!

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 61
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 9/3/2006 10:28:41 AM   
Izzardesque2

I think I'll plump for Scotland in that game. Would love for them to do well this year

The limerick packs laughs anatomical
Into space that is quite economical
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean
And the clean ones so seldom are comical

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 62
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 10/3/2006 8:32:53 AM   
Funkyrae

Now is that just so that you can wind me up through the game?  Still trying to get your own back for the Ireland Wales game huh? 

My London Irish top came yesterday woo!

Oh yes....where are the Tigers at the moment?  Below us I do believe

That's me that is!

Post #: 63
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 13/3/2006 12:29:20 PM   
vic_vega

Quite a disappointing weekend as far as quality rugby in the 6 nations goes. Obviously the winners and Italy will be very happy and the others not so. Only England can say 'Surely we can't play any worse than that again!' while at least there were some positives for Scotland and Wales.
The Scottish defensive line is phenomenal, how the Welsh managed to run in 4 tries against is quite amazing considering the English and Irish were blanked with an equally gifted set of attacking players. Unfortunately for them while having sorted out just about every other department the Line Out, the only saving grace for them over the last four years has deteriorated to a complete shambles.
Poor Wales, they dominated so much in the first half, but lost their way thanks to a ridiculous interception. The game should have been wrapped up by then and in fairness to the Italians they fought right to the end.
Ireland need to take a very hard look at themselves. With so much possesion and territory the could only kick a measly 5 penalties despite Keith Wood's insistent that the back line would blow the Scots away. With O'Driscoll and Darcy so easily shackled by the less than world class Henderson and Di Rollo its difficult to see where the scores will come from atTwickenham.
England are still the only side with a win on the road so far this year - in Italy. If this trend continues (I don't think it will!) on Saturday we could have a four way tie for the Championship with France looking good to take the title on points difference.

Predictions for next week:

Game 1; Italy v Scotland at Rome (K.O. 1330) Italy will have gained much from their Cardiff experience and will be a tough nut crack at the Stadio Flaminio. They don't carry the line out threat to upset the Scots as dramatically as the Irish did the Scottish backs may get back to scoring ways.
Scotland should have too much for them despite their terrible record there and I expect them to win by 10 points.

Game 2; Wales v France at Cardiff (K.O. 1530) Wales are in disarray with a paltry 3 points. They can still pip the Scots in the table if results go their way, however this is unlikely and despite the current trend favouring home teams I imagine the French to be hot out of the blocks and win by 20 points.

Game 3; England v Ireland at Twickenham (K.O. 1730) England will have re-grouped and backsides will have truly been kicked. Their directionless, ineptitude should not be as exposed against the Irish as it was against France, but 6 days is not enough to turn things around unless sweeping changes are made throughout. Of the forwards Corry, Stevens, Thompson and Borthwick may survive only for the set plays, no England forward except for Corry seems capable of taking the heat and going for long carries. The back line disentegrated after Tindall's substitution, but he himself offered little inspiration in attack. Irelands backs were solid but predictable against the Scots. Their back row however, are capable of taking the game head-on to the opponents for the whole match along with hooker Flannery. Unfortunately for them their props seemed ill at ease against a Scottish front row that has looked fragile for a while now. If John Hayes can get taken to task by Gavin Kerr he has little hope against White or Stevens. This is the hardest game to call, but I think Irish experience of playing to their strengths will overcome English directionless brawn and they will win by single score and thereby clinching the Triple Crown, but not the Championship.

That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 64
Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugby un... - 14/3/2006 5:02:16 PM   
Rob

Well that's truly splendid news for all our opponents.  Surely now is the time for decisive action and a bit of a re-think.  We have been woeful in the last three 6 nations and despite flattering to deceive in several Autumn Internationals over the past couple of years we are an absolute shadow of the team that won the world cup.

I know we've had a lot of retirements and that Robinson should take a good deal of credit for coaching the team to World Cup Glory, and with Woodward leaving he was the logical successor, but he just hasn't done a very good job.

How can Josh Lewsey go from being one of the most dynamic backs in World rugby to a performance like the one on Sunday?  We have the largest pool of talent to choose from in the rugby playing world and that was the best me could muster against France?  Disgraceful.

Had we been outplayed comprehensively then I would accept that but when the performance is as gutless as it was and absolutely littered with school-boy errors then serious questions need to be asked.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 65
RE: Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugb... - 15/3/2006 12:22:15 AM   
vic_vega

I see he has made some changes but surprised Noon, Cohen and Cueto survived and Tindall has gone! Tindall has exactly been great but the defense was all over the place after he was subbed. Noon lacks the experience to be holding the back line together and its a big ask to expect Abbot to walk straight into a face saving match and be told to play his own game. I felt that players playing their own game was part of the problem they need leadership to perform as a team. Surprised Thompson was dropped as when Mears came on he didn't look like he was good enough to play for Scotland at hooker and that really is the lowest.
Voyce looked quite vulnerable defensively against France although he is quite a devastating attacker, but if O'Driscoll and Darcy bring their dancing shoes with them England could be in real trouble. You can't expect Lewis Moody to be everywhere when the Irish have got the ball. Obviously the key areas are lineout where Ireland are very good and the scrum, where they are quite poor.
If England this match then I feel Robinson would have to fall on his sword or be forcibly removed. 4 six nations wins in 2 years is not acceptable for the defending world champs.

< Message edited by vic_vega -- 15/3/2006 12:24:32 AM >

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 66
RE: Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugb... - 16/3/2006 12:06:50 PM   
Izzardesque2

Wonder what odds I acn get on a Wales beating France upset? Hmmmm

So seldom are clean

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 67
RE: Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugb... - 16/3/2006 12:41:47 PM   
vic_vega

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

Wonder what odds I acn get on a Wales beating France upset? Hmmmm

Strangely enough Ladbrokes are offering 10/11 on all the teams at present on line

William Hill are a bit more generous for Wales at 7/2, but less so for England at 4/11 and Scotland 8/15. Curiously Ireland are 2/1 to beat England which must be quite a good bet. No doubt there will be some movement closer to kick off.  A tenner on Wales might worthwhile, or how about a double of Wales and Ireland - would give a decent night in the pub.

Post #: 68
RE: Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugb... - 16/3/2006 3:32:49 PM   
Izzardesque2

How about a Celtic Nation treble?

So seldom are clean

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 69
RE: Andy Robinson to stay as head coach of England Rugb... - 16/3/2006 6:52:57 PM   
vic_vega

That be worth seeing, but Scotland at 8/15 to beat Italy are pretty poor odds for an away win. Still I suppose a tenner would return just under 140. Think I'll do it.

Post #: 70
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 17/3/2006 10:45:48 AM   
Peter Dragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: vic_vega

Unfortunately for them their props seemed ill at ease against a Scottish front row that has looked fragile for a while now. If John Hayes can get taken to task by Gavin Kerr he has little hope against White or Stevens. This is the hardest game to call, but I think Irish experience of playing to their strengths will overcome English directionless brawn and they will win by single score and thereby clinching the Triple Crown, but not the Championship.

Hi Vic, nice to see a new voice in Oval Balls, however I have to disagree about Hayes.
Being a Munster fan, I have to say you have to see Hayes in the flesh to see the trojan work the guy does around the pitch, he's colossal.

Watch the lineouts on Saturday, guarantee you you'll see at least 2 or 3 lineouts where Hayes will lift either O'Connell or Easterby by himself.

And also before I hear one more Sheridan will kill em objection, please remember this clicky clicky, same front row starts for Ireland on Saturday.

However saying all this, I still want O'Sullivan out. But still kind of want us to win, I'm so confused.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 71
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 17/3/2006 4:57:25 PM   
Izzardesque2

I put 20 quid on it and it could net me 414!!

So seldom are clean

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 72
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 18/3/2006 5:09:30 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

Come on Wales!!!  Do us a favour.

If there were no rewards to reap,
no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here,
I certainly would've walked away by now.

I'm gonna wait it out

"It's a day spa, you fuck!"

Post #: 73
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 18/3/2006 7:26:21 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna wait it out

(in reply to Comrade Zutroy)
Post #: 74
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 18/3/2006 7:34:25 PM   
HIM

Dammit! I was cheering for the Irish all through that game and then I find out that the fucking French still won! 

Post #: 75
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 18/3/2006 7:39:06 PM   
Comrade Zutroy

Yeah, it's a kick in the sac but what can you do?  Still, the Triple Crown is pretty good

I'm gonna wait it out

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 76
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 18/3/2006 10:59:28 PM   
Ref

Another weekend where both my teams lost, very depressing indeed.  An exciting 6 nations tournament though. 

Now on to the Heine Cup baby!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 77
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 19/3/2006 10:51:27 PM   
vic_vega

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

quote:

Unfortunately for them their props seemed ill at ease against a Scottish front row that has looked fragile for a while now. If John Hayes can get taken to task by Gavin Kerr he has little hope against White or Stevens. This is the hardest game to call, but I think Irish experience of playing to their strengths will overcome English directionless brawn and they will win by single score and thereby clinching the Triple Crown, but not the Championship.

Hi Vic, nice to see a new voice in Oval Balls, however I have to disagree about Hayes.
Being a Munster fan, I have to say you have to see Hayes in the flesh to see the trojan work the guy does around the pitch, he's colossal.

Watch the lineouts on Saturday, guarantee you you'll see at least 2 or 3 lineouts where Hayes will lift either O'Connell or Easterby by himself.

And also before I hear one more Sheridan will kill em objection, please remember this clicky clicky, same front row starts for Ireland on Saturday.

However saying all this, I still want O'Sullivan out. But still kind of want us to win, I'm so confused.

Hello Pete,
it took me a while to pick a rugby thread out of all the football mince.
my only concern for Hayes was in the scrum as Kerr is one of the weakest props Scotland have had for a while. however, as results showed it didn't really matter how well the irish scrummed as they had just about every aspect of the game sewn up and a quite an  affable touch judge. I still think the best team won and picked up a deserved triple crown.
that was the best 6 nations since it started and the italians are only a bit of experience away from making an impact.
I did get all my match predictions correct for yesterday even if I got everything else wrong!

By the way I think lifting at the lineout is one of the most ridiculous law changes they ever made.

< Message edited by vic_vega -- 19/3/2006 10:54:33 PM >

Post #: 78
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 8:14:05 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Comrade Zutroy

Yeah, it's a kick in the sac but what can you do?  Still, the Triple Crown is pretty good

I'm happy with the Triple Crown!  Bloody French though. 

Personally I thought Wales deserved it, but then I was completely biased anyway.  Wales beating France would have made it so much easier for us. 

Glad it's over though, it's nice to be able to breathe again.

That's me that is!

Post #: 79
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 9:32:54 AM   
Izzardesque2

quote:

that was the best 6 nations since it started and the italians are only a bit of experience away from making an impact.

[

sorry, I don't agree. Although the scores meant that it was a tense tournament, the majority of the rugby was dull as dishwater. Both France and England were shockingly bad really, Wales played some excellent rugby but just kept dropping the ball all the time, as did Ireland. Scotland played their hearts out on a couple of matches but weren't anything special in the others (although a HUGE improvement from 1-2 years ago!) and Italy, for all their strength and passion, just lack the skill in the centres to actually make a decent break. When they do score its nearly always from a forward move or a breakaway try.

Looking forward to the Autumn internationals. Hopefully all the teams can work out what was wrong and try and put it right.

So seldom are clean

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 80
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 10:53:39 AM   
belluccisbra

Another poor 6 nations- while the overall standard of rugby has been poor with England at the head of queue for piss-poor play. The backs have stripped of all imagination why not play tait? at least he has the ability to beat his man- unlike Tindall who just runs dirctly at the nearest oppostion defender.
Englands problems are summed up ecellantly here:http://sport.guardian.co.uk/sixnations2006/story/0,,1734719,00.html

Exterminate all rational thought

Post #: 81
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 11:33:00 AM   
vic_vega

It seems that if your team had a bad tournament the six nations was dull, but for a much improved Scotland, Triple Crown Ireland and Champions France the whole thing was quite enjoyable.
As for Italy lacking quality at centre - Mirco Bergamasco was the tournaments top try scorer ( although one of them was against a dud side)  along with Shane Horgan.
Many of the games were tense with some exceptional skills on display. Irelands line-out for example was top class, as was their mauling.
The Scottish back-row and backs showed terriffic defensive qualities under extreme pressure from England and Ireland.
The French may  have under performed, but they were still worthy winners.
Both the press and television concentrated on the failings on the English and Welsh rather than the positives of the other teams.
The Welsh were a shadow of last years team, mostly due to injuries, but who can tell how much the coaching debacle influenced their downfall.
As for England, they are still obsessed with power game where they believe a team of huge forwards can dominate smaller opposition in the scrums and let the open play sort itself out. Despite this both Ireland and France took them apart in the loose, Ireland also dominated the lineout, with only Steve Borthwick standing out for them. They have the potential to be a great team, but with everyone form Austin Healy to the rugby correspondents of the broadsheets picking the team Andy Robinson doesn't have much of a chance.

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 82
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 12:21:01 PM   
nevergreen

Any chance of Wales giving us their third choice scrum half Mike Phillips in exchange for our Peter Stringer?

......Please!

< Message edited by nevergreen -- 20/3/2006 12:22:05 PM >

"You were out of the trio a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."

Im bored. Episode 1 bored.

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 83
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 4:16:05 PM   
Izzardesque2

Vic,

I acknowledged that the results made for a tense tournament but the general level of play was pretty poor thoughout. I remember one commentator saying there were more mistakes recorded than ever before (not sure if thats true or not!).

Bergamasco is a good centre, but still isn't breaking the lines of defence - as I said, most Italian tries have come from a breakaway try due to an interception or something NOT from concerted pressure.

quote:

Any chance of Wales giving us their third choice scrum half Mike Phillips in exchange for our Peter Stringer?

......Please!

Erm.....no.

< Message edited by Izzardesque2 -- 20/3/2006 4:18:30 PM >

So seldom are clean

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 84
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 20/3/2006 4:20:07 PM   
belluccisbra

Izz- i think that was the england V france game- something like 80ish errors were committed  to put it another way 1 mistake every minute, A figure more at home in an amatuer match not a international match.

Exterminate all rational thought

Post #: 85
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 21/3/2006 8:12:35 AM   
Funkyrae

Roll on Autumn.  However much you tear it apart now, the 6 nations is over.  France won, Italy got the spoon.  None of the matches were spectacular but there was a lot of heart in quite a few games.  Now I'm just going to miss my regular Gordon D'Arcy fix!

That's me that is!

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 86
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 24/3/2006 12:50:02 AM   
Jodan_King

Honestly the 6 nations has put me into a state of constant depression.  England England England, what has happened?????  Oh god it hurts

Nobody likes seeing the Irish picking up a trophy at Twickers.......no offence

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 87
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 27/3/2006 8:13:25 AM   
Peter Dragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jodan_King
Nobody likes seeing the Irish picking up a trophy at Twickers.......no offence

Do tell us why? Not liking the taste of that slice of humble pie? Makes up for the debacle in Landsdowne a few years ago when Johnson made our President walk on the grass.

And to the poster that asked to swap Stringer with Philips.......ha ha , yeah good one.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to Jodan_King)
Post #: 88
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 29/3/2006 5:41:28 PM   
Jodan_King

Humble pie tastes like shit.  Also I live in the past when it was always fun to watch Ireland and Wales trying not to get the wooden spoon at the end of the tournament. 
I would have said that about anyone picking up an international trophy at Twickers that wasn't England. 

I'm feeling a bit better by the way

"I'm storming your castle on my steed m'lady!"

Post #: 89
RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread - 31/3/2006 11:52:38 AM   
Izzardesque2

Predictions for this weekend?

Leicester v Bath - After our victory over Bath last weekend, I think we should dominate this one.
Toulouse v Leinster - Toulouse don't seem the powerhouse they've been recently but I still think they will still beat Leinster.
Munster v Perpignon - Its not quite a home game for Munster, will this make a difference? Munster have been known to fall flat on their face at the silliest of times, but I'll plump for the home side.
Biarritz v Sale - not sure about this one. Sale have been very impressive at times this season, although they've struggled through some 'easy' matches. I might just go for an away win here.

So seldom are clean

(in reply to vic_vega)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Oval Balls - The Rugby Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI