Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Rocketeer - 17/9/2006 6:59:53 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Love it! - 17/9/2006 7:00:14 PM   
giddig

I love this film and was really disappinted it didn't become a franchise. I love the slow start to establish the era detail and characters . Then when the action kicks off it's ace! Great score too. Empire picked on why his trousers don't catch fire. That's easy to explain: It's a comic book movie not a documentary. Why ask real world questions about a film that clearly isn't set in the real world. I don't hear Empire asking why Indiana Jones isn't fired for leaving his school to go off grave robbing. What does he do? Only go on adventures at half term or maybe he waits for the six weeks summers hols to fight nazis.

< Message edited by giddig -- 27/8/2008 1:53:43 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Love it! - 18/9/2006 10:55:56 AM   
kingoftheducks

I agree with giddig, this is a really fun, entertaining and funny romp.  Bill Campbell plays his part with a self deprecating air of humour, happy to make a complete fool of himself if necessary; the scene where he pretends to be a waiter always has me laughing.  Timothy Dalton is delightfully hammy in his villainous role.  Jennifer Connelly is, ahem, quite impressive in her part and Alan Arkin makes a wonderfully world-weary mentor.  Yes, it takes a long time for the rocket pack action to kick off but that, for me, is part of the film's charm so that when Cliff finally takes to the skies it's all the more exhiliarting.  That particular sequence which begins with Cliff saving an unconcious pilot in an air-race before proceeding to tear up the countryside is a pure piece of popcorn heaven.

The film is an absolute treat, sugary, silly, but abashedly so.

4/5

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to giddig)
Post #: 3
RE: Love it! - 13/9/2007 10:08:12 AM   
bendoofus

It's not like Empire to get it so wrong... The Rocketeer is a breathtaking rollercoaster ride!

I feel like I'm Han Solo, you're Chewie, and she's Ben Kenobi and we're in that FUCKED UP BAR!

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 4
RE: Love it! - 13/9/2007 1:03:42 PM   
krudler

2 stars wtf? this is why i dont read empire any more, one of my favourite movies, love the throwback setting, amazing score one of james horners finest, some great setpieces, the airshow rescue and the zeppelin being the standouts, timothy dalton, jennifer connolly,alan arkin, the feds,hollywood,nazis and the mob! what more could a movie want, some great little references to the era (howard hughes) , true the special effects have aged but its all part of the charm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 5
RE: Love it! - 13/9/2007 6:28:06 PM   
DazDaMan

Great movie!!  My aviation-minded friends disowned me when I said I'd never seen this, so I bought it off Amazon a few months back and gave it a whirl. 

I feel a need to watch it again soon!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 6
RE: Love it! - 15/9/2007 10:05:56 PM   
Caster

Worth watching just for Jennifer Connelly's jubblies.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Love it! - 15/9/2007 10:11:10 PM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Worth watching just for Jennifer Connelly's jubblies.

Oh they're glorious, aren't they. They're even worth enduring the wretched pointlessness and awfulness of Mulholland Falls just to catch a glimpse.

And Rocketeer ROCKS!

Who put the brakes on courage?

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 8
RE: Love it! - 27/8/2008 1:58:18 PM   
giddig

Spot on! It's brilliant entertainment...
- Good casting
- Good characters
- Fun Plot
- Excellent score
- Great FX (even though a little dated now they still rock)
- ...and the hero has the best outfit.
I tried to get a bit of forum chatter going on what people thought of Rocketeer sequels. It seemed most people like Rocketeer so much they would rather it's left alone to avoid spoiling it.

Thank you kindly.

(in reply to bendoofus)
Post #: 9
RE: Love it! - 27/8/2008 4:42:38 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkey Wrench

Oh they're glorious, aren't they. They're even worth enduring the wretched pointlessness and awfulness of Mulholland Falls just to catch a glimpse.

I don't think you're the only one who's done that.

... what?

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 27/8/2008 4:43:03 PM >

(in reply to Monkey Wrench)
Post #: 10
RE: Love it! - 27/8/2008 5:37:33 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkey Wrench

I don't think you're the only one who's done that.

... what?

We've all been there   I even purchased the frankly awful Career opportunities for such pleasantries.

Anyway.... The Rocketeer a quality film with a quality reproduction to the 1930's/40's Hollywood.  Great costumes, sets and a fun script.  just a shame they got rid of the nudity which was so prevelant in the comic it came from.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 11
RE: The Rocketeer - 27/8/2008 5:53:55 PM   
rich

Great fun, secret Nazis, nice soundtrack. 2 stars? Get out.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 12
RE: The Rocketeer - 2/11/2013 10:20:26 AM   
Hood_Man

Just finished watching this. I don't agree with the 2 star review but I'm not going to sing its praises either. It was enjoyable & generally well acted (Alan Arkin and Ed Lauter were the standout supports, and Timothy Dalton looked to be enjoying himself), and the special effects were superb as well, but I can see why it underperformed. Billy Campbell has the screen presence of a plank of wood and is almost always surrounded by people more interesting than him. It's also not so enjoyable that its shortcomings can be so easily overlooked.

My main negative while watching this however, is that I kept thinking of the more recent period superhero flick Captain America, starring Chris Evans. Generally speaking I thought it ticked all the same boxes as Rocketeer, only with a bigger pen. A more interesting supporting cast with Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci and Hugo Weaving, special effects which also wowed audiences and critics alike (whilst Chris Evans' skinny build occasionally threatened to err on the wrong side of the Uncanny Valley, it certainly did the job), and Chris Evans fulfilled the role of leading man with some real charm, charisma, and even a better hair cut.

Even the Nazi's were more interesting!

Probably a 3/5 or something. It's good, but there are other films that aim for the same thing & do it better.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 2/11/2013 10:36:32 AM >

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 13
RE: The Rocketeer - 4/11/2013 12:37:12 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Just finished watching this. I don't agree with the 2 star review but I'm not going to sing its praises either. It was enjoyable & generally well acted (Alan Arkin and Ed Lauter were the standout supports, and Timothy Dalton looked to be enjoying himself), and the special effects were superb as well, but I can see why it underperformed. Billy Campbell has the screen presence of a plank of wood and is almost always surrounded by people more interesting than him. It's also not so enjoyable that its shortcomings can be so easily overlooked.

My main negative while watching this however, is that I kept thinking of the more recent period superhero flick Captain America, starring Chris Evans. Generally speaking I thought it ticked all the same boxes as Rocketeer, only with a bigger pen. A more interesting supporting cast with Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci and Hugo Weaving, special effects which also wowed audiences and critics alike (whilst Chris Evans' skinny build occasionally threatened to err on the wrong side of the Uncanny Valley, it certainly did the job), and Chris Evans fulfilled the role of leading man with some real charm, charisma, and even a better hair cut.

Even the Nazi's were more interesting!

Probably a 3/5 or something. It's good, but there are other films that aim for the same thing & do it better.

Did you notice they both had the same director?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 14
RE: The Rocketeer - 21/11/2013 1:59:21 PM   
sethmiller

The rocketeer is one of the best-all-time superhero flicks.
In my eyes it's way better than the current marvel releases.

Legal Unlimited Movie downloads including
direct downloads into Ipads and Iphones.
www.moviesdirect.org

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Rocketeer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI