Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

That Mitchell and Webb Look

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> That Mitchell and Webb Look Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:14:02 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

Out of my two hour TV paradise night tonight consisting of Dragons Den and Extras, I am most of all looking forward to David Mitchell and Robert Webb's new comedy series, That Mitchell and Webb Look, hopefully the start of what may well be a truly great sketch show.
We all know that Peep Show was nothing less than awesome (if you disagree, just get out now) and everything these two have been in have been funny, even the lame topical shows that David Mitchell has brightened up and that Bonjella advert, so I have high hopes.
So in short, I reccomend you watch it tonight and post your thoughts on it here.
It may even be a Little Britain like hit, except it should be funny

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.
Post #: 1
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:18:13 PM   
Castor Troy

Am I right in thinking they didn't write Peep Show?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 2
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:23:35 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

Yes, but they did some great comic performances in it. They did do That Mitchell and Webb Sound on Radio 4 which I admittedly havent seen, but I think as writers they are not fully established yet.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 3
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:24:53 PM   
Lego_boy

quote:

Yep that's true, but they still had a fair bit of input into the characters (can certainly tell by David Mitchell's sense of humour on the numerous panel shows he appears on).  I'm looking forward to seeing this, I know they've worked together on loads of stuff but I've never had a chance to see any of it.  I don't expect this to hit the dizzy heights of Peep Show, but hopefully it's a decent show.

Post #: 4
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:26:06 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

Yes, but they did some great comic performances in it. They did do That Mitchell and Webb Sound on Radio 4 which I admittedly havent seen, but I think as writers they are not fully established yet.

I'm not surprised you haven't seen the radio show. If I remember I'll give it a viewing.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 5
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:28:29 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

quote:

I'm not surprised you haven't seen the radio show. If I remember I'll give it a viewing.

I stand by my original statement

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 6
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:33:17 PM   
Castor Troy

Yeah I wasn't having a go, I had just always assumed they had wrote it but recently read that they didn't. I've been cracking up at David Mitchell on the various panel shows he's been on, so I'll definately check out Peep Show at some point - but the ads for this new one haven't impressed me.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 7
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:41:33 PM   
Lego_boy

quote:

Yeah I wasn't having a go, I had just always assumed they had wrote it but recently read that they didn't. I've been cracking up at David Mitchell on the various panel shows he's been on, so I'll definately check out Peep Show at some point - but the ads for this new one haven't impressed me.

Dear god you haven't seen Peep Show yet?  Get series 1 now!  I think it's certainly the best comedy of the last 5 years (yes even more so than The Office), with time I'm sure it will be even more revered than it already is.

Post #: 8
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:45:02 PM   
Castor Troy

There's a series 1-3 boxset coming out soon which is only £18 which I might put on my christmas list. Alternatively I can get the first two series individually for £5 each. But I have no money.

(in reply to Lego_boy)
Post #: 9
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 5:46:31 PM   
Lego_boy

quote:

There's a series 1-3 boxset coming out soon which is only £18 which I might put on my christmas list. Alternatively I can get the first two series individually for £5 each. But I have no money.

Cool I might trade in for that box-set, although they are currently filming the fourth series so I'll possibly wait on that.

< Message edited by Lego_boy -- 14/9/2006 5:48:21 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 6:44:24 PM   
LB Jeffries

Can't wait for this, Mitchell always makes me laugh like a drain. Haven't heard their radio stuff, will try to get my hands on it.
BBC2's looking pretty good tonight.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to Lego_boy)
Post #: 11
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 7:53:20 PM   
target

Cant wait for this, love peep show, and a forth series you say, get in!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD_8efbcpkM

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 12
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 10:15:35 PM   
Mozza

I thought it was hilarious, with Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit being a favourite.

Does anyone else think that Webb in a blond tache looks like Chris Morris in a blond tache.

Post #: 13
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 10:17:35 PM   
Castor Troy

I liked the Nazis.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 14
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 10:21:53 PM   
Mozza

...Are we the baddies?

Post #: 15
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 11:08:05 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

I thought it was hilarious, with Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit being a favourite.

Does anyone else think that Webb in a blond tache looks like Chris Morris in a blond tache.

Very much so in that Question Time sketch, infact the sketch was quite 'Morrisian'. I loved the show, and it is actually like a funny Little Britain but not reliant on shock or obcenity tactics to get cheap laughs. Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit being a personal highlight, although Numberwang and the banana dance were ridiculous enough to win my heart.
Hopefully Mitchell and Webb will learn not to make theircharacters stale like Little Britain, which just turned into a show of catchphrases. As they have reputedly axed a lot of popular sketches from their radio show, it looks like they have the sense not to go down that route.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 16
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 11:12:01 PM   
frankj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

Spot on!
I really enjoyed it. I think my favourite was the Moneypenny sketch - "what a piercing bore!"

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 17
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 14/9/2006 11:15:55 PM   
Fat_Tony

Angel Summoner and BMX Bandit were the highlight for me, awesomness.

The drinking snooker commentators and The Posh Waiter were great.

Post #: 18
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 9:09:15 AM   
RuffKut

I enjoyed it too...it's good to see a genuinely funny sketch show again - the last good one was Big Train imo.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Fat_Tony)
Post #: 19
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 9:17:41 AM   
Brock

Stronger than I expected. I liked Mitchell's  incredibly posh person who was unaccountably still a waiter. And the medical drama with no research behind it.

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 20
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 9:52:12 AM   
Penguin of Death

Thing it reminds me most of is Smith and Jones. A mix of one off sketches and repeat characters, some particually surreal bits and the occasional in between bit with them playing themselves.

Best bits, Nazis and Waiter

To the engineer everything can be placed into one of two categories: things that need to be fixed, and things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them.

www.wrg.org.uk

(in reply to Brock)
Post #: 21
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 10:13:44 AM   
Monkeyshaver

I must have watched a different show to everyone else then. Overall this was poor. I haven't seen Peep Show or heard the radio show but have seen David Mitchell on a few things, a genuinely funny man, a real natural comic talent. But Robert Webb just isn't funny. The Nazi's were amusing, the waiter sketch very good & the snooker commentators were alright. But a lot of it had been done before, & better, the spoof quiz show etc. Plus a lot of the sketches went on too long. But the worst was the excruciating Sir Digby & Ginger sketch, I felt actual embarrassment for them while watching this awful sketch. Also there was too much repetition of the same characters. It seems quite obvious that the BBC are looking for the next Little Britain which is now past its sell by date. This isn't it.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Penguin of Death)
Post #: 22
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 10:23:27 AM   
Toby Monroe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

I must have watched a different show to everyone else then. Overall this was poor. I haven't seen Peep Show or heard the radio show but have seen David Mitchell on a few things, a genuinely funny man, a real natural comic talent. But Robert Webb just isn't funny. The Nazi's were amusing, the waiter sketch very good & the snooker commentators were alright.

No you watched the same one as me. Like all sketch shows it was patchy, there were poor patches, and there were even poorer patches. I agree about the Nazi & waiter sketches, they were ok, but the snooker commentators one just reminded me of the NTNN sketch with drinking darts players, which was a far funnier observation on the link between drinking and pub sports.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 23
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 11:54:27 AM   
Heywood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

quote:

I must have watched a different show to everyone else then. Overall this was poor. I haven't seen Peep Show or heard the radio show but have seen David Mitchell on a few things, a genuinely funny man, a real natural comic talent. But Robert Webb just isn't funny. The Nazi's were amusing, the waiter sketch very good & the snooker commentators were alright.

No you watched the same one as me. Like all sketch shows it was patchy, there were poor patches, and there were even poorer patches. I agree about the Nazi & waiter sketches, they were ok, but the snooker commentators one just reminded me of the NTNN sketch with drinking darts players, which was a far funnier observation on the link between drinking and pub sports.

What they said. I wasn't a fan of Peep Show, but like David Mitchell when he appears on panel shows, so thought I would check this out. There were some okay moments (Angel Summoner and BMX bandit, the Nazis) but much of it was pretty lame. Have to agree that Webb is not that funny.

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 24
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 3:07:17 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

the snooker commentators one just reminded me of the NTNN sketch with drinking darts players, which was a far funnier observation on the link between drinking and pub sports.

Ah yes, now that is a classic sketch, along with Gerald The Gorilla –

Professor: "When I caught Gerald, he was completely wild."
Gerald: "Wild? I was absolutely livid!"

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 25
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 3:10:05 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Really funny stuff, should be even better in the coming weeks I hope...

Personal favs being the BMX and Angel show, the James Bond conversation, Nazis, the posh waiter, and the DVD Menu bit...

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

Post #: 26
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 3:26:53 PM   
Base

NNoooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOoooooOOOOooooOOOoo

I completely forgot this was on

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

Post #: 27
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 3:30:25 PM   
kingoftheducks

I thought it was quite appalling, I thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen on Peep Show, and do like a good sketch show, alas, we haven't had a good sketch in way too long now...  I like Mitchell and Webb as comedy performers, but this was rather painful... especially coming after an absolutely brilliant start to the new series of Extras, in fact, I thought it was rather bold of 2 to put this on afterwards, the 'laughter' track had that distinct BBC feel to it...

Also, Numberwang felt like a complete rip off of Adam & Joe's brilliant 'Quizzlestick', which was all the more funny because the contestants actually thought they were on a real quiz show.

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 28
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 3:51:26 PM   
Art Vandelay

Damn! I missed it! From what i viewed in the trailers, it looked hilarious. Does anyone know when it'll be repeated or where i can download it from?

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 29
RE: That Mitchell and Webb Look - 15/9/2006 6:16:20 PM   
pettsy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heywood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

quote:

What they said. I wasn't a fan of Peep Show, but like David Mitchell when he appears on panel shows, so thought I would check this out. There were some okay moments (Angel Summoner and BMX bandit, the Nazis) but much of it was pretty lame. Have to agree that Webb is not that funny.

Can't really add that much, but I agree with these.  Good in parts, but showing after Extras probably did it more harm than good.

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> That Mitchell and Webb Look Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI