The Historian

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Historian Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Historian - 14/9/2006 2:37:15 PM   
mad_looney

I know alot of people on this forum are reading it. Is it any good? Ive seen it cheep but dont know wether to get it or not.

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue
Post #: 1
RE: The Historian - 15/9/2006 2:51:10 PM   
crayon

I read it a couple of weeks ago, it's interesting but I wasn't a massive fan.  There are two reasons for this:  1) My friend has decided to educate me in the ways of the horror/vampire novel and so I have recently read a lot of books that do it better and in more interesting ways; 2) I am deeply cynical and not impressed that Elizabeth Kostova was paid $2 million as an advance on the basis of her pitch for it, not for writing already completed.

As a starting point for learning more about Dracula and vampiric myths, it is interesting.  A lot of it seems unecessary, there's a fair amount of travelling and walking through woods that I think could have been cut.  I was a touch disappointed with the ending.  Comparisons to The Da Vinci Code are fair, I think - it's an intellectual race against time with a strong sense of the influence of history upon the present day and it follows clues left by a previous generation.  I'd happily give it 3/5, as I say I have read better vampire books recently or the mark would have been higher.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 2
RE: The Historian - 15/9/2006 3:23:05 PM   
Sundance

I still haven't managed to get through it. It's been described as more of a travelogue than anything else. Chapters start off describing food and the countryside and then there's two lines at the end that have something to do with Dracula before another chapter to do with orange juice and architecture. A few people who have managed to finish it have told me it's not bad, but I haven't heard anyone rave about it.

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Historian - 15/9/2006 3:57:49 PM   
Felix

I managed to finish it and the general feeling was 'meh'. Most of the book feels like an introduction to a bigger story and it seems to feel that its a far more important piece of work than it is. Anne Rice has done it far better, and on more occasions.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sundance)
Post #: 4
RE: The Historian - 16/9/2006 12:15:09 AM   
Pinkvelvet

I'm almost finished and thoroughly enjoying it.  I liek all the history thrown in so I'm quite happy with the 'travelog' feel to it.  I woudl certainly recommend you try it at least.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 5
RE: The Historian - 16/9/2006 5:58:06 AM   
mumblin sumpthin

I'm still only on Chapter 6 but I'm liking it so far, whether that will be the case by the end or not is open to question though.

"Oh fine! Let's just haul out our swords and start banging away at each other! That will solve everything!"

"Please don't interrupt me when I'm asking rhetorical questions."

"Death is...whimsical today"

(in reply to Pinkvelvet)
Post #: 6
RE: The Historian - 16/9/2006 7:32:07 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

I bought this yesterday in the BOGOF deal in WHSmith. Won't have time to read it just yet, got to finish The Shadow Of The Wind first.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to mumblin sumpthin)
Post #: 7
RE: The Historian - 17/9/2006 7:08:11 PM   
KennyM

Read it yonks ago and really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 8
RE: The Historian - 18/9/2006 12:12:02 PM   
paulyboy

I enjoyed it, very much so to begin with, but it's horrendously overlong in my opinion. There's a portion of the book, about two thirds the way in where it really does seem to drag for a suspisiously long-time. It ramps up for the climax obvioulsy but the aforementioned sag almost grounded the book to a halt. Worth reading though I'd say.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 9
RE: The Historian - 18/9/2006 12:14:29 PM   
Funkyrae

This is on my "to read" list.  Along with a huge list of others

That's me that is!

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 10
RE: The Historian - 18/9/2006 3:16:21 PM   
elab49

One point to the poster above - the problem many had with this book is that it has virtually nothing to do with vampire myths and history - it is almost as if Kostova heard a vague summary of dracula and made up the rest herself. This is referred to in many reviews and did set many fans of vampire fictions against the book irrespective. So it isn't an addition to 'canon' - but even more fictional than most.

Not that it is a bad book - I think the pacing is excellent and you plow through the book at a rate of knots. The prose is generally OK although the dialogue does occasionally make you wince - not uncommon with preternaturally adept 'young people' as protagonists. But a decent book all in all and a pretty fair read.

But nought to do with vampire fiction! If your friend is genuinely trying to educate you in horror it is an odd start - I would suggest Dracula itself (a surprisingly, for many, literary piece) and for just an excellent story avoid Rice's awful gothic sequels. I'd recomment George R R Martin's "Fevre Dream".

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 11
RE: The Historian - 18/9/2006 5:38:08 PM   
crayon

I'm assuming this is directed at me - my friend hasn't 'started' me with this book, I read it of my own voilition; it's far from being the first vampire novel I have read.  I have read Dracula and there are actually a number of similarities between the two, The Historian quotes extensively from it in many places.  I fail to see how it doesn't have anything to do with vampire fiction, given that it extensively uses the myths surrounding Vlad Dracula.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: The Historian - 18/9/2006 8:29:09 PM   
elab49

Of which it actually apparently makes quite a bit up. Which is no criticism inofitself - it is a work of fiction after all. And 'aims' at makes me think you took the post a little more aggressively than it was intended to be? It was only advice - easily dismissed if you aren't interested. But it wasn't meant to be rude and I'm sorry if that was the way if that was the impression it made.

As for Kostova - I'd take it up with the critics who clearly knew an awful lot more about the various vampire and Impaler myths. legends and occasional facts than I do

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Historian - 19/9/2006 4:42:55 PM   
Base

About 150 pages left to go.  Pretty good, not the best book I've read by any means tho, but I've enjoyed it (tho a couple of chapters back it dragged & had to force myself on, but glad I did).  Will leave judgement for the ending tho (of which I have my suspicions, but we'll see)....

quote:

Chapters start off describing food and the countryside and then there's two lines at the end that have something to do with Dracula before another chapter to do with orange juice and architecture

This isn't exactly true, but it made me laugh.  It's not quite as bad as Anne Rice's vampires swooning at the exquisite beauty of a poster at the bus stop or something

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: The Historian - 29/9/2006 12:58:18 PM   
Twinkle

I tried reading this but had to stop because I found the writing so awful.  And I've read The Da Vinci Code.  The description of the superstar-lecturer who had the audience literally gasping for more (or something) sent me over the edge.

In Thom We Trust

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 15
RE: The Historian - 29/9/2006 3:25:47 PM   
SnoopyThePeanut

I'm reading it, so please warn of spoilers, but I'm finding the pace really frustrating. It's so stop-starty and her style is so desciptive I've found I want less of the chateaux and the fine cheeses and more vampire attacks and scary librarians!

< Message edited by SnoopyThePeanut -- 29/9/2006 3:26:11 PM >

(in reply to Twinkle)
Post #: 16
RE: The Historian - 12/10/2006 8:21:20 PM   
tweetypie2005

I finally finished this today and have to admit I liked it, although you seen the ending a mile off about half way through the book.

Overall good.

In the immortal words of Daffy Duck, I demand you shoot me now!

Three blind mice walk into a pub. However, they are unaware of their surroundings. So to deprive humour from it would be exploitative.

(in reply to SnoopyThePeanut)
Post #: 17
RE: The Historian - 3/11/2006 11:12:00 AM   
mixtapes

I bought this when it first came out, and having read no reviews, just knowing the premise, I really expected this to be fantastic.
Was very enthusiastic about it to start with and really enjoyed it but towards the last third of it started to find it a real effort to read. Having said that, I did read the lot in a few days, more through boredom than it being a real page-turner.
Can see where the comparisons to Da Vinci are coming from though I found DV to be much more well-written and entertaining.
I am in general, a fan of vampires but didn't particularly enjoy any Anne Rice novels, will maybe try re-reading them.
Though not similar in style, the Anita Blake series of books is fun, and covers vampires, werewolves, zombies etc in contemporary setting and I really enjoyed them, think there's about 12 of them, maybe more now, though later in the series seems to descend into chick-lit a bit.

Anyway, before I went off rambling on a tangent, my point was, yeah it's worth buying if you see it cheap, it's enjoyable (though maybe could've done with a harsher editor?), but I found buying it in harback to be bit of  a waste!

< Message edited by mixtapes -- 3/11/2006 11:14:52 AM >

(in reply to tweetypie2005)
Post #: 18
RE: The Historian - 20/11/2006 11:07:37 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I waded through this while I was on holiday. Fairly boring and ostentatious for the first 100 pages or so, yet after that I found the bouncing narratives quite entertaining, whilst being happily frustrated at the same time in trying to get back to the other character. Fantasticly intense finale though.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to mixtapes)
Post #: 19
RE: The Historian - 21/11/2006 5:00:29 AM   
JV

I read this recently and really enjoyed it however before I had ever read anything that compared it to The Da Vinci Code, I had already made that comparison myself! I found The Da Vinci Code to be abysmally written but entertaining enough whereas in my opinion The Historian is a cut above that (but only just).

It held my attention for the entirety of the book and all the made-up stuff had me riveted.  But it does indeed drag in places and despite it intriguing me at the beginning, I found it took a while to get going (I didn't get into it until about 100 pages in, which is weeeell after the point I would usually give up on a book if it hadn't engaged me).

If you don't want to shell out on it, then don't - I got it from my local library in immaculate condition and they had plenty of copies!

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 20
RE: The Historian - 29/4/2007 1:04:30 PM   
mad_looney

Im at the 71st 72nd chapter. Its good but i think it's draging a bit now, I really am getting sick of how people look, i only want to know details if they're a vampire or been attacked or somthing. I know what a normal person looks like but i think the writer doesnt and got a bit excited.

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 21
RE: The Historian - 30/4/2007 10:29:17 PM   
Mr Terrific

The book started off well and showed lots of promise. But then turns into a travelog and many of the chapters drag.
Nothing that happens in the story is that suprising, none of the characters except for  Dracula are that interesting either, hell
the heroines mother, just seems to me irritating, arrogant and vaguely bitchy.
The fact that is written like a Victorian novel also grows tiresome after awhile, and you find yourself wishing for some action.
I was suprised by how much it did'nt really grab me, usually I love stories with this type of subject matter.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 22
RE: The Historian - 7/5/2007 12:00:41 AM   
curtain twitcher

The history in the book is well researched and i find it fascinating (i'm very passionate about history) but i'm still only at the bit where they are in Budapest and i wish they would get a fucking move on with it! The book is alright but not the best. I know what happens because i just couldn't be arsed waiting so i just looked it up on Wikipedia, i'll still finish it though at some point, i've got about four books on the go right now including this one.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend. Those who have a rope around their neck and those who have the job of cutting.

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 23
RE: The Historian - 28/5/2007 11:26:04 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

I know what happens because i just couldn't be arsed waiting so i just looked it up on Wikipedia

Haha, that make me chuckle. Thank God for Wikipedia. It's not the most amazing book, but as has already been said if you have any interest in history it is worth it for that. I enjoyed it soley for that reason tbh.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to curtain twitcher)
Post #: 24
RE: The Historian - 14/6/2007 10:48:12 AM   
The Hooded Man

An extremely dull read that goes on and on. Hugely disappointing, given the premise, seems almost ashamed to be a vampire novel. If you want a great vampire novel read Already Dead by Charlie Huston.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 25
RE: The Historian - 8/7/2007 5:19:13 PM   
bobatim

I've just finished this book and have to say, what a let down. I was really enjoying it but until the last five chapters or so when all of a sudden, the book just rushes through everything it has spent so long setting up!

*possible spoiler*

When we finally get to the final confrontation with Dracula, it lasts about a page and a half and any sense of logic is just sent out of the window, and half the questions previously raised are glossed over while a whole new bunch are raised.

Dissappointed to say the least

Is he died?

www.penultimateuniverse.blogspot.com

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Historian Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI