Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Xbox 360 thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Xbox 360 thread Page: <<   < prev  537 538 [539] 540 541   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 14/8/2012 4:18:24 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Maybe I'm just losing interest in games, but this year has been the most awful year for games I can remember, nothing particularly must have has been released so far and all the bigger titles towards the end of the year are all a bit meh, some I'll no doubt play, but nothing is screaming out as a must own title.

Ole Gunnar SolskjÔŅĹr - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16141
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 14/8/2012 4:24:25 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

My hastily put together Deadlight review:

The new game from studio Tequila Works, Deadlight is the second title in Microsoftís Summer of Arcade series; a 2.5D side scrolling puzzle-and-platformer with zombies thatís part LIMBO, part Resident Evil and part Abeís Oddysee. The player assumes the role of Randal Wayne, a down on his luck fellow searching for his missing wife and child in the middle of a ruined Seattle in 1986, while also escaping hordes of the undead (or Ďshadowsí as the game calls them) as well as the requisite shady military presence.

Now you might well moan at yet another zombie game, however this one feels so much different. This isnít an action title, like Valveís Left4Dead series or the zombie mode in Treyarchís Call of Duty games. Itís a run, jump, roll and basically avoid the zombies at all costs game. And while you do get some weapons later on to bust some undead heads, youíll find the best solution is only to fight them when you absolutely have to. The zombies are an oppressive presence, and one that is relentless and while they are your classic shuffling zombie which might not seem too much of a threat, get ganged up on and youíre pretty much dead immediately.

Fortunately though, dying isnít much of a hindrance, as like LIMBO and Abeís Oddysee, this is a trial and death game. Didnít make that jump and ended up in the water? Respawn and time it better. Pulled the wrong lever and electrocuted yourself? Respawn and donít pull said lever. Accidentally pressed jump and fell down a ravine/into a herd of undead/onto a mashy spike plate? Respawn and try not to do it for the fifth time in a row. This trial and death method comes into play rather beautifully during the puzzle elements of the game but most of the puzzles arenít too difficult. There arenít many that will stump you for any great length of time, which is nice, but at the same time a little disappointing. Thereís nothing that has the fiendish difficulty of LIMBO, which I got stuck on dozens of times. The toughest challenge here is finding a certain item to push or pull so you can advance.

However, nearly the whole middle section of the game is simply working out how to progress through an underground network of death traps. Some of which are very tricky. Navigating said death traps (as well as the zombies) needs a certain degree of precise timing, and thankfully the reasonably simple controls donít cause too many problems. Itís standard platform stuff and nothing new, but it doesnít last very long, and all the time you really just want to get back topside and enjoy the destroyed beauty of the world.

Speaking of, the most striking aspect of the game is easily the art design. Itís nothing short of breathtaking; with glorious 2.5D rendered environments showing you a beautiful backdrop to this post zombie world. Collapsed buildings, cars abandoned on freeways, far away zombies fighting with army types; it let you have a glimpse at this ruined world and really sets the tone of the whole game. That tone being: grim. Grimmer than grim. The plot of the game is in the same vein. Iíll not spoil anything, but the feeling of isolation and futility pervades throughout creating an immersive environment to play in even if the story isnít much kop. The final twist in the tale is something you can see a mile away, and the protagonist isnít very sympathetic or even that interesting. Although the last act of the game, in the 'Safe Zone' is terribly exciting.

Overall though, itís merely ok when youíd want it to be amazing, it isnít very memorable and clocking in with a completion time of less than three hours, itís a fun ride while it lasts but has nowhere near the lasting impact of its obvious influences.

3 and a half stars.

Nice. 3 and a half is probably about right for me too.

It's actually one of the things I liked about Randall was that he wasn't all that sympathetic. He's gruff and he's pissed off at the world and just wants to find his family without people getting in his way. His diary was a good read and gave a good insight into his character. He likes his job as a ranger because he doesn't have to deal with people and can be alone. He's a miserable bastard.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16142
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 8:03:54 AM   
sroey

Anybody ever had any issues with xbox pads? My 2 month old silver pad suddenly decided to combine button functions last night during a game of BF3 with Flipper. The xbox button on the pad begun to flash (as it does when you need to sync it to a console) then when ever I pressed the right trigger I would fire a round and then go to the prone position in the game.

Its really bizarre! Swapped pads, batteries and even controls to demonstrate...It seems pressing the left or right stick has no effect anymore....

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 16143
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 8:58:35 AM   
Chief

#shitexcuseforgettingbeat

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 16144
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 10:12:03 AM   
sroey

I did take his tags...it wasn't a complete loss!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16145
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 12:55:39 PM   
talpacino

Ah his pad is all messed up. He shit his pants when he saw me, pressed right stick to crouch and hide and ended up stabbing me by accident. Jammy bastard.

Currahee!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 16146
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 2:15:32 PM   
sroey

In all honesty it was my surround sound that alerted me to your footsteps...hardcore mode on BF3 is proper tense - I froze and waited for you to sail past me...

Imagine my surprise it turned out to be you I gutted like a pig...

(I have the receipt for my pad I'll take it back - thanks for for the sympathy ya swines!)

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 16147
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 2:32:38 PM   
talpacino

I had no idea you were even in the game you sneak, using my techniques. Didn't see you for the next few games.

Yeah we do the hardcore SQDM every now and then, it's the only way Smartian can get a kill.

Currahee!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 16148
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 3:02:22 PM   
sroey

haha yeah I always dreamed of making an entrance like that!

It is very tense, if you weren't in the game I'd be running around like a madman - but you make me nervous lol

I think thats when I was having 'pad' issues, everytime I tried to shoot someone I just went prone - dropped out and couldn't join again. Was hoping turning everything off and on again would fix it...

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 16149
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 8:45:47 PM   
MBeard

About to embark on the 50 hour achievement in Fifa 09 for a whopping 1G.

My gamerscore ends in a 4/9 which is driving me insane!

PM me for Xbox Live Details!

(in reply to sroey)
Post #: 16150
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 8:50:32 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: MBeard

A couple of seasons in Manager Mode should do it.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 16151
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 29/8/2012 9:31:04 PM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

A couple of seasons in Manager Mode should do it.

Yeah true. At the moment I'm working overtime at home so got it playing itself in 20 minute half games in the background.

In time...in time.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 16152
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/9/2012 6:42:37 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Maybe I'm just losing interest in games, but this year has been the most awful year for games I can remember, nothing particularly must have has been released so far and all the bigger titles towards the end of the year are all a bit meh, some I'll no doubt play, but nothing is screaming out as a must own title.

Agree with this!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 16153
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/9/2012 8:38:47 AM   
Yeti

quote:

Yeah, my OCD kicked in with niggly end numbers, but one short bust at Lovefilm and Warriors: Legends of Troy, and ker-pow. Slightly less aggravating looking GS. It's the little things.

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 16154
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/9/2012 9:31:50 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Agree with this!

To be fair (in my mind) last year (especially the end) we had an exceptionally good year (big titles/well received) of releases across consoles;

2011 - Batman AC, AC:R, SR3, CoDMW3, Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Zelda Skyward Sword, GoW3, Dues Ex HR, Portal 2, Dead Space 2, LBG2, ME2, Kill Zone 3, Pokemon Black/White, Resistence 3, Mortal Kombat, Witcher 2 (PC) LA Noire etc

I'm glad as I've got a dusty pile of games from last year to play! Not to mention I bought a PS3 and souped up my PC so I can finally get to those.

Borderlands 2 & RE 6 are the only games I'm looking forward to getting this year. Both co-op heavy which is great as I've been going through all my single player and my gold account has been unused this year.

I'd agree the 360 has had a worryingly short list of exclusives this year. Forget about early/exclusive DLC or Arcade and I can't see much else on horizon either? Sure we've got Halo 4, GoW Judgement ... and ermmm ahem but even those I'm not desperate to play. So I'd agree the 360 needs some new exclusives and preferably new IP's.

Though as mentioned I a have a huge back log to get through and never enough time.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 2/9/2012 9:32:49 PM >

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 16155
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 4/9/2012 1:08:47 PM   
jcthefirst

Most of the games I've played this year have been XBLA titles, and they've all been brilliant.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 16156
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 4/9/2012 2:04:53 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/sonic_4_episode_ii/news/sonic_4_ep_2_alan_wakes_american_nightmare_sine_mora_and_more_in_huge_xbox_live_sale.html

Deal of the week and Back to School sales are pretty tasty this week. Alan Wake American Nightmare down to 600, both Sam and Max games down to 800 and the excellent Joe Danger SE down to 600 and worth every point (penny?), among others. I can see me getting cleared out this week.

EDIT: Oh and Stacking, down to 300 from 1200...

< Message edited by thatlittlemonkey -- 4/9/2012 2:05:39 PM >

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16157
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 4/9/2012 2:17:08 PM   
sharkboy

Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition was a 360 exclusive wasn't it?  At least, as far as consoles went.  Bloody brilliant game it is too, even if I'm still getting my ass handed to me when I get cornered by gargoyles

As for cross-conslole games, it's been a good year for Lego - Batman 2 and the forthcoming LOTR.  Then there's AC3 and Dishonored to look forward to later this autumn, not to mention Hitman Absolution and XCOM.  I'm getting more and more intrigued by Rocksmith as well.  Of course there's also the usual annual FPS similar-yet-different(ish) releases

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16158
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 4/9/2012 2:52:23 PM   
Chief

Thinking about it, the only new games I've bought this year are Trials Evolution & The Walking Dead. The only full game I've bought was Halo: CE Anniversary, which was released last year. Nothing has had me interested enough to bother.

Post #: 16159
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 4/9/2012 7:54:59 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Most of the games I've played this year have been XBLA titles, and they've all been brilliant.

As I said apart from XBLA which haven't all been exclusives

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition was a 360 exclusive wasn't it? At least, as far as consoles went. Bloody brilliant game it is too, even if I'm still getting my ass handed to me when I get cornered by gargoyles

and apart from exclusive DLC (Witcher 2 came out last year on PC and isn't 360 exclusive)

I'd agree there have been no real Xbox 360 exclusives this year. Across console it hasn't been anything but standard either in my opinion.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 16160
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 5/9/2012 1:28:12 PM   
Chief

Who else, apart from Yeti, has the new dashboard? Just a question about IE: Can you have multiple windows/tabs open? I'm thinking something like a game collectable guide on Youtube in one tab while playing a game in the other so you could switch between the two.

Post #: 16161
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 5/9/2012 2:19:59 PM   
MBeard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Who else, apart from Yeti, has the new dashboard? Just a question about IE: Can you have multiple windows/tabs open? I'm thinking something like a game collectable guide on Youtube in one tab while playing a game in the other so you could switch between the two.

I signed up. Had the code, redeemed online, forgot my auto download was another console. Code can't be reused now :(
Oh well, I'll wait like everyone else.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16162
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 5/9/2012 2:36:16 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

I'm in the Beta, but IE works like an app, so I don't honestly think you can do that unfortunately.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to MBeard)
Post #: 16163
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/9/2012 7:00:30 AM   
Yeti

Not having Flash does tend to make videos like a big funny picture of a box with Flash logo. Other than that, I found it quite handy to order me ASDA shop from one Tellybox whilst watching the Daily Show on the other. (Properly based on true story, that). But it is actually a perfectly functioning Internet for folk who care little for videos, and can't be arsed to get up from the Sofa.

Pins went from hassle to cool overnight. (Especially if your box grinds to a stinking halt every time you simply try to browse your games).

Happy Wars is still either bewildering, brilliant or complete nonsense.

PS: I wrote this on it. INCEPTION THAT.

< Message edited by Yeti -- 7/9/2012 7:01:08 AM >

We sit over our keyboards shoveling Pot Noodles down our mouths. Not because we're hungry. Not because we like them. Just to stifle the sobs for another minute or two.

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 16164
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 9/9/2012 11:26:20 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

My biggest problem with joining the dash beta is that because I play my 360 much less now, once every week or two at best, I seem to be greeted by a rather large dash update every time I turn it on.

Well, the other problem is it doesn't seem to add anything we didn't have before, I'd rather have NXE or better still the blades back.

Also of note "pins" are useless because everything you pin has to go into that folder instead of a custom home screen.

[Shhhhhhhh we aren't supposed to talk about the beta]

Ole Gunnar SolskjÔŅĹr - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 16165
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 11/9/2012 11:50:30 AM   
Yeti

Dry The Rain was pretty good.

Post #: 16166
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 5/10/2012 1:21:50 PM   
Hooch0959

Anyone know the cheapest place to get 4000 microsoft points at the minute, I got tags to be taking

Thanks

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to Yeti)
Post #: 16167
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 12/10/2012 7:28:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

HELP!

I started Episode 4 of The Walking Dead yesterday and unlocked two achievements, and unlocked three today. The two from last night are showing as unlocked on my Xbox but not on Xbox.com and sites like True Achievements. Also the wierd thing about the 360 is that it shows as unlocked (they popped) but the actual camerscore hasn't been added on for the game (2 x 10G). Any ideas of what to do to correct this?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Hooch0959)
Post #: 16168
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 15/10/2012 11:18:20 AM   
Chief

I couldn't find a thread for it but Dead Island is pretty damn good.

Post #: 16169
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 15/10/2012 11:29:07 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I couldn't find a thread for it but Dead Island is pretty damn good.

Yeah I didn't really get the hate for this. The controls are a little clunky to begin with but once you get to grips with it, it's good fun. Played it on co-op with Jay and got a good laugh out of it. We probably would have finished it a lot quicker if we weren't trying to blow each other up all the time. (There's an obvious edit for you here chief, I trust you're bigger than that though, )

Anyways - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3022905&mpage=5&key=dead%2Cisland&NID=0#3265838

Currahee!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16170
Page:   <<   < prev  537 538 [539] 540 541   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Xbox 360 thread Page: <<   < prev  537 538 [539] 540 541   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI