Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Xbox 360 thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Xbox 360 thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 3:27:50 PM   
Kelly

Will you be buying one, and what games will you be getting at launch?

If Pefect Dark Zero gets good reviews, I will be getting i. If not, probably Fifa..
Post #: 1
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 3:36:06 PM   
Sober

Im going to wait and see what the online play is like before I get one. When the original XBox came out, I remember people saying how Microsoft wont let it fail. Well it did more than that, it made it succeed and made it the no1 choice if you want to enter the realm of online play.
At the moment I can see Xbox 360 being the purists console of choice, whereas the PS3 will sell loads because of the name 'Play Station'.
Im hoping Sony prove me wrong and have fantastic online connectivity.

Basically, whichever one is better im going to buymyself one for chrimbo 2006 and wrap it up for myself. Then out of the box xmas day im going to be playing online games against people all over the world! (by myself a shedload of games...be like being a kid again!)

(in reply to Kelly)
Post #: 2
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 5:05:58 PM   
Godzilla

Gettting one on launch day with..

Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo, maybe a third game depending on what is released.  can't wait

Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig,
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does,
Lookout,
He is the Spider-Pig!

(in reply to Sober)
Post #: 3
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 5:10:53 PM   
Spektre

I pre-ordered mine about a week ago from Virgin and should also get it on launch day, hopefully!

The 1st game I will get with it is Project Gotham Racing 3, then maybe Dead or Alive 4.

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 4
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 5:22:14 PM   
Kelly

Cany someone also please explain to me (in basic terms) how XBox live works - and do I just run it off my current broad band connection?

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 5
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 5:37:34 PM   
Spektre

It really depends on what sort of modem/router you have set up.

If you can see an ethernet socket at the back then in theory you should be able to to connect a cable directly from the modem/router to the back of your xbox.

something like this-

And, if you have one of those xbox live cards that are often shipped with some games then you can take the code printed at the back and go through the simple registration process. This code will give you 2 months free play.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/start/connect/router/

< Message edited by Spektre -- 2/10/2005 5:43:57 PM >

(in reply to Kelly)
Post #: 6
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 5:56:49 PM   
Kelly

Ah I see, it looks like I'll need a router then.

Would that mean if I was playing Xbox Live in one room, and my BF was on the net in another - his net would slow down?

Or say I wanted 2 internet (from seperate PC connections) via a router - would both nets be slower?

Thanks, x

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 7
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 2/10/2005 6:17:37 PM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kelly

Ah I see, it looks like I'll need a router then.

Well, just to be safe, I think you should confirm with the shop that you want to be able to access xbox live before buying anything.

quote:

Would that mean if I was playing Xbox Live in one room, and my BF was on the net in another - his net would slow down?

The same broadband signal will be shared between the pc and the xbox (or another pc) through the router, so essentially the answer is yes, there will be a tiny bit of slowdown but it is nothing to worry about as it is usually not very noticeable.

Some games, however, suffer from lag and having a second connection turned on at the same time will make things worse. One example is Pro Evo Soccer 4! When we played in the league one of the rules was that the pc had to be switched off in order to minimise lagging during gameplay.

(in reply to Kelly)
Post #: 8
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 9:16:55 AM   
daddy or chips

At the moment I'm torn between Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo, it's either one or the other...can't really afford both  out of curiosity, what are most people going for console-wise...the premium 279 package or the core 210 one??  Also, not sure if this has been mentioned before but did you know that you'll also get a free month trial for the Gold Xbox Live service (with both versions of the console), I only noticed this yesterday but was pretty pleased

< Message edited by daddy or chips -- 7/10/2005 9:19:19 AM >

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tomorrow. And today's slipping by."

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 9
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 10:37:53 AM   
Godzilla

I'm going for the core system, I don't want a wireless pad and I don't want XBOX live. If I have any extra cash I might get a hardrive instead of a memory card but I'm not sure yet.
So far I'm defiantly getting:

XBOX 360 Core Pack
Memory Card
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero

Less than 8 weeks to go  

Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig,
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does,
Lookout,
He is the Spider-Pig!

(in reply to daddy or chips)
Post #: 10
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 10:41:33 AM   
Castor Troy

When is the PS3 coming out?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 11
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 10:48:13 AM   
daddy or chips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

When is the PS3 coming out?

I haven't seen a confirmed release date for the PS3 yet, all the sites I've visited have it down for a 2006 release.

"I figured one day I'd just wake up and and find out what the hell yesterday was all about. I'm not too keen on thinkin' about tomorrow. And today's slipping by."

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 12
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 10:55:52 AM   
SimonPatricOon

Although the XBox 360 looks good, I still think the PS3 is gonna be better, and not just becuase of the name; all it's specs are better too.

However, XBox 360 is getting a pre-christmas release, where as PS3 is after that.  Also the XBox marketing machine is doing pretty well here in the UK, so they've got the lead at the mo.

Post #: 13
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 10:59:10 AM   
Castor Troy

So would it be stupid to buy the Xbox 360 before more info on the PS3 is out? I don't want to waste my hard earned money - but I want a new console for over xmas.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to SimonPatricOon)
Post #: 14
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:14:38 AM   
mace windu

Is the harddrive only needed for playing Live? I heard that you need it to play old X-BOX games but i don't see how that would work. Can you buy the wireless controller and media thingy as seperates?
Questions, questions, if only there was one unit!

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 15
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:26:55 AM   
Gizmo 76

The Hard drive is apparently needed for playing old Xbox games like you said. At launch it will support most was the major original Xbox games (Halo 2, Forza etc...), and then over time they will release updates to be downloaded that will enable you to play additional old titles. I believe LIVE is still available with out the hard drive??

You can buy all the extra accessories seperately, but I can see no real reason not to go for the 279 pack. If it's a money reason, then get out there and start washing cars, selling your body, or even auction off family members you deem not needed for the extra 70 quid.

(in reply to mace windu)
Post #: 16
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:28:52 AM   
daddy or chips

quote:

ORIGINAL: mace windu

Is the harddrive only needed for playing Live? I heard that you need it to play old X-BOX games but i don't see how that would work. Can you buy the wireless controller and media thingy as seperates?
Questions, questions, if only there was one unit!

The hard drive is for games saves, music, downloadable content and is needed to play the original Xbox games. You will be able to buy the wireless controller and pretty much everything else seperately if you want to, but if you buy the premium package (the 279 one) all this is included.

(in reply to mace windu)
Post #: 17
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:32:33 AM   
Spektre

quote:

Is the harddrive only needed for playing Live?

I heard that you need it to play old X-BOX games but i don't see how that would work. Can you buy the wireless controller and media thingy as seperates?

No to the first question and Yes to the second.

I pre-ordered the premium version (if that is what it is called).
I thought it would be better to get all the additional extras in one go rather than buying them at a later date.  Also, my understanding is that you will not be able to play on xbox live if you buy the core system by its self (well, you can only log on and register), but I could be wrong.

I will probably be getting Project Gotham Racing 3 with it on launch day.

(in reply to mace windu)
Post #: 18
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:37:03 AM   
mace windu

Probably will go for the more expensive version, just wondering what the difference was. Hoping to finally go Live with the 360, never got round to it on my X-BOX. Looking forward to wireless gaming, fuking hate having a jungle of wires scattered around the room.

Post #: 19
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 11:42:00 AM   
daddy or chips

After a quick snoop around the net I've discovered that the core system (the 210 one) is Xbox Live enabled apparently.   

(in reply to mace windu)
Post #: 20
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 12:03:34 PM   
mace windu

I think i'll probably go for Perfect Dark on launch as the original was awesome on the N64 (although not the Goldeneye beater it was made out to be) but i don't know what else. What's 'Kameo' all about?

Post #: 21
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 12:05:25 PM   
Spektre

You are right, it does say that on the Amazon website. But they also say you get this with the premium version:

"Xbox Live silver membership:
With this, gamers can chat with friends online, send and receive voice and text messages, and access new content from Xbox Live Marketplace such as trailers, demos and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade."

Again, I am not exactly sure if what I say is right or not, but notice they do not mention anything about actually playing online. I have a feeling we will all need to upgrade to Gold membership in order to do that. (click here)

< Message edited by Spektre -- 7/10/2005 12:06:37 PM >

Post #: 22
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 12:11:39 PM   
Gizmo 76

I think your original LIVE subscription is of the Gold variety when you switch over to the 360. I've also read somewhere that with the premium 360 pack you get some 200 marketplace points to spend on downloads etc.. and also some demos maybe uploaded onto the hard drive. I can't remember where I read this info though

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 23
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 12:29:05 PM   
daddy or chips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spektre

You are right, it does say that on the Amazon website. But they also say you get this with the premium version:

"Xbox Live silver membership:
With this, gamers can chat with friends online, send and receive voice and text messages, and access new content from Xbox Live Marketplace such as trailers, demos and casual games from Xbox Live Arcade."

Again, I am not exactly sure if what I say is right or not, but notice they do not mention anything about actually playing online. I have a feeling we will all need to upgrade to Gold membership in order to do that. (click here)

Yeah that's correct Spektre...your Xbox 360 will come with the Silver membership which does everything apart from allow you to play against others online, you do need to upgrade to Gold to be able to do this. But as I said earlier, at least you'll get a free months worth of Gold content when you get your console.

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 24
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 7/10/2005 3:42:38 PM   
jim.od2001

I'd buy one if I had the money, seen as though it's behind Revolution on my to get list, but I'm not sure if it's before PS3. The online gaming will be amazing though so thats a plus.

Post #: 25
Backwards Cap of 360 - 7/10/2005 4:52:51 PM   
the_edge99uk

Just picked up this bit of info about backwards cap

quote:

From eurogamer.com:
Xbox corporate VP Peter Moore has revealed more details of backwards compatibility between Xbox 360 and Microsoft's current-gen console, including news that you'll be able to play some Xbox games straight off.
Speaking to US website GameInformer, Moore explained that Microsoft is developing a software emulator that works on a game-by-game basis.
"Each game is emulated and you know the issue with the GPU and the CPU," he said.
"The guys continue to pound through these games and the emulation is working well."
When asked if some Xbox games will be playable on the 360 straight out of the box, Moore replied: "Yeah. And that list will grow and grow and grow."
"We will probably be in a position in about two weeks to give you a list and that list will go up on Xbox.com. It will get updated as more and more games get through certification."Moore said that you can expect downloadable updates as new games are added to the list after launch: "There will just be an auto-update that you may not even be aware that happens.
"Say Crimson Skies becomes backwards compatible. We will post an update on Xbox.com. We may even set up an email alert for people who are interested enough," he added.
Moore also confirmed Microsoft's continuing commitment to backwards compatibility - providing there's enough demand.
"After launch, we will continue to do it," he stated.
"Until consumers show lack of interest - then we will move on."
quote:

(in reply to jim.od2001)
Post #: 26
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 10/10/2005 10:32:25 AM   
paulyboy

Has anyone seen the latest cam footage from Project Gotham?

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1648

For me, this is by far the most impressive looking game on the 360. Perfect Dark looks nice, but this is something else.

The cockpit/interior view is just........................................drool!

Look at the refelctions in the windscreen!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to the_edge99uk)
Post #: 27
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 10/10/2005 10:56:50 AM   
Spektre

Not only have the graphics been improved but the general feel of the car seems to be a lot more natural than it used to be. Watch how it slides in the gameplay footage.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 28
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 11/10/2005 12:05:08 PM   
mace windu

Does anyone know where i can be guarenteed a 360 for release date or Christmas. Everywhere i look they say they can't guarentee delivery by Christmas and both local games stores aren't taking any more pre-orders - bastards!

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 29
RE: Xbox 360 thread - 11/10/2005 3:09:26 PM   
daddy or chips

quote:

Does anyone know where i can be guarenteed a 360 for release date or Christmas. Everywhere i look they say they can't guarentee delivery by Christmas and both local games stores aren't taking any more pre-orders - bastards!

I'm not sure there's gonna be anywhere that will 100% guarantee you delivery by Christmas, you might want to try the big guns (eg Amazon etc.) as I would have thought they would be more likely to have more units than most. I pre-ordered mine ages ago from my local Game store (two days after they started taking them) as I knew this sort of situation would come to pass...I was the thirteenth person to order one apparently so I'm slightly nervous, unlucky for some as they say    

(in reply to mace windu)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Xbox 360 thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI