Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hobbit Becoming A Reality?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Hobbit Becoming A Reality? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hobbit Becoming A Reality? - 11/9/2006 9:54:29 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Bring it on PJ - 11/9/2006 9:54:29 AM   
TheGreatEye

FIRST!!!

Whoops, wrong site.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Weta and LOTR script gods yes, PJ needs a rest - 11/9/2006 10:21:34 AM   
Ryan_D_Bell

Weta and LOTR script gods yes, PJ needs a rest. Producer perhaps.
Can Ian Holm with selotaped back face pull off a Hobbit movie? Maybe CGI'd youngness-that's a decent feather in an effects cap. X-3 didn't quite pull it off. Would be nice to see Gandalf the Grey back - The White was a bit uppity.

Post #: 3
"I want to see Mountains again Gandalf!" - 11/9/2006 10:27:46 AM   
boredbluekoala

IESB.net reported news of New Line studios having the Hobbit slated for a start of filming in mid 2007 with an expected release of christmas 2008. We'll see. hope it happens. hope that Peter can lure back Howard shore to do the music score, after their unfortunate split over the King Kong score(bet you that turns up on cd one day like Alex North's score for 2001 a space odyssey) Hope also that all the prominent cast memebers who feature in the Lord of the rings can be brought back for the hobbit in particular Ian McKellan, who is the only choice to play Gandalf the grey.

Post #: 4
Listen to me ye people - 11/9/2006 11:55:59 AM   
Darth Lex

Hobbit would do nice, but Silmarillion is thousand times cooler.

Post #: 5
Ah, Lovely Ian McKellan! - 11/9/2006 12:16:32 PM   
El-Branden Brazil

To see the master thesp bringing Gandalf The Grey's twinkling eyes back to the silver screen....is.....well, something I would love to see again. He was magnificently cast in the LOTR.

Post #: 6
FUCK YES! - 11/9/2006 1:56:53 PM   
clarkkent

PJ shud do this instead of remaking the dam busters! But how can they mak two films out of it? The book isnt that long! Any way, it'll be intresting, if they do it, to see how they make a talking dragon not just look stupid! Maybe someone else o play bilbo or do the CGI tomfoolery they used in X3? And why the fuck are they doing another terminator? Unless they can actually make this one with james cameron and not repeat the utter tripeness that was T3

Post #: 7
RE: The Hobbit Becoming A Reality? - 11/9/2006 3:45:48 PM   
Jesse Custer

I feel the Hobbit movie may have a few complications to sort out before the light can go green. I'm not talking about all the bureaucratic/Red tape bullshit between MGM and New Line. The first problem I see what demographic are the producers intending to aim the film at? The book is, essentially, a book for a younger audience than LOTR so do they catrer for the under 12 demographic (ala Harry Potter) and run the risk of pissing off the millions of fans who made LOTR the phenomenon it is?
Either/Or it'll make a ton of cash no matter what. 

Post #: 8
RE: Listen to me ye people - 11/9/2006 3:55:53 PM   
silverado

Great news, hope it happens soon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Lex

The Silmarillion would be some film, wonder how long it would have to be.

I also think Aragorns back story from The Appendices would be a great film.

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 9
RE: Listen to me ye people - 11/9/2006 4:13:46 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I would love to see The Hobbit made into a film. Peter Jackson is the only man for that. I'd be willing to wait but must admit the very idea has got me quite exicted.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

(in reply to silverado)
Post #: 10
- 11/9/2006 4:29:36 PM   
Mycroft

If it has Ian Holm I'm there

Post #: 11
- 11/9/2006 4:43:55 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Well that sounds that very neat: MGM willing to co-operate with NL for the sake of a great film. Hopefully PJ can make Lovely Bones and direct this one for Christmas 2009.

Post #: 12
- 11/9/2006 5:45:13 PM   
Chaos Engine

The Hobbit in grand jackson style, yes. the other texts will probably never be adapted unless DTV quality, which isn't a terrible idea (if even possible).

Post #: 13
RE: Listen to me ye people - 11/9/2006 8:06:30 PM   
Ryan_D_Bell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darth Lex

Silmarillion could be a big budget tv series.  Alot of tv series are better than most of the crap coming out on cinema release these days.

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 14
Could it be? - 11/9/2006 9:54:56 PM   
Grover

I agree with Mycroft, Ian Holm must play Bilbo again. I'm thinking Brian Blessed would play a great Dwarf - Jack Black as Bifur?

Post #: 15
Only ourselves to blame for The Pink Panther? - 12/9/2006 10:40:50 AM   
FerrisBueller

Only in the sense that the Jews must have in some way incurred the wrath of the Nazis. For shame, Empire. For shame.

Post #: 16
RE: Only ourselves to blame for The Pink Panther? - 13/9/2006 2:19:15 AM   
krudler

i think the split between pj and shore was a fairly amicable one,they just werent seeing eye to eye on what king kong was,i would ove for shore to do the hobbit though,LOTR is ight up there with star wars as having the best music ever,bring back ian holm,mckellan is a certainty they might as well not make it at all if someone else plays gandalf,could be as big as LOTR if they market it right and it has the right tone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to FerrisBueller)
Post #: 17
Never going to Happen - 13/9/2006 5:09:23 PM   
billkiller

People are going to be talking about the Hobbit for years! but I think Jackson will need to have LOTR: The Special Edition In the cinemas before jumping on the prequal band wagon. I would love to see the hobbit made into a film, but in the end it's just going to be The Phantom Menace all over again (To quote Mr. Lucas)

Post #: 18
Hobbit and possibly another title? - 13/9/2006 7:23:53 PM   
Rogal

The hobbit will be a very cool film indeed, I don't think peter can make a lucas of himself making the hobbit, as he prooved everyone wrong by making a film that was deemed unfilmable. If you want my two cents I feel that other possible project for them to do would be the fall of numenor and the first war of the ring, this would fit quite snuggly in the lord of the rings film universe, as we only glimpsed at 45 seconds worth of war that took 10 years to overcome, fingers crossed, i feel we could be looking at a lottery of potential material that could be shot, here's hoping.

Post #: 19
RE: Listen to me ye people - 14/9/2006 9:06:12 AM   
miss_phoenix

theyve had the go ahead for hobbit nsince fellowship and yes im possitive it will be worth the wait

(in reply to Darth Lex)
Post #: 20
Come on Hobbit - 15/9/2006 3:07:22 AM   
bigman

I fr one cannot wait, I have been suffering with anticipation since the lord of the rings came to an end! I will say this if Peter Jackson is not involved with the direction of the movie, I dont think that it will be the same. He has such an understanding of these stories!!

Post #: 21
RE: Come on Hobbit - 17/9/2006 3:05:41 PM   
AgentGoth

I hope he makes The Hobbit. They have to. I really want to see Smaug on the big screen.

"Sheriff Perry! You are violating my territorial bubble!"

(in reply to bigman)
Post #: 22
RE: Come on Hobbit - 17/9/2006 3:15:42 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Sounds interesting...

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to AgentGoth)
Post #: 23
RE: Come on Hobbit - 17/9/2006 5:50:26 PM   
Daniel Kelly

Whilst the Lord of The Rings films are great and Peter Jackson bringing them to life wonderfully I kinda would like to see someone elses interpretation of Middle Earth. I mean for the most part The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit are totally different stories with only minor connections, so yeah I think someone else should get a go no disrespect to PJ

www.danlandmovvies.blogspot.com

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 24
RE: Come on Hobbit - 17/9/2006 6:11:35 PM   
fantasy89

if its Peter doing it im on it!!

I'm not me, I'm you!

(in reply to Daniel Kelly)
Post #: 25
RE: Come on Hobbit - 21/9/2006 5:59:07 PM   
Cuchulainn

The following from AICN:  

QUINT: I saw in Variety that THE HOBBIT came up. The MGM thing. Did you see this?

PETER JACKSON: Where the guy who runs MGM was announcing their tentpoles and saying they were doing TERMINATOR 4 and they want me to make 2 HOBBIT films? I was reading that this morning on the net. It's a rather strange thing to wake to. I'm up for it, but somebody should phone me because I'm getting a bit booked out at the moment!

Everybody asks me about THE HOBBIT, you know? But the reality is I've never had a conversation with anybody about it. Not one person has ever made a phone call to me. I don't know. The irony is that we're acquiring our own projects now and we're buying the rights to books. The reality is, to be quite honest with you, we're getting ourselves now nice and busy, in a good way, for the next 4 years. So, people have not (spoken to us) about THE HOBBIT and it's making it more and more impossible for us to be involved.

QUINT: So, if you got a phone call tomorrow telling you that you could have any budget you need and creative freedom, but it has to be finished and in theaters by December 2009. Would you find room for THE HOBBIT?

PETER JACKSON: Well, it depends. No one has phoned me, which is kind of weird, but I don't know. We're very, very excited and committed about the films that we're working on now, so I don't know. I'd have to sit down and look at it all. Obviously, I'm interested in THE HOBBIT, but right now we have no emotional investment in it. For the last few years, we have put our hearts into other projects. It would seem strange to have somebody else do it, although some part of me would be interested in going to see somebody else's HOBBIT, be able to buy my popcorn and go and sit and watch the film.

I'm not against that and if our schedule is impossible, then that's what they'll do. They'll certainly go and get someone else to make it. They won't wait, which is their right.

QUINT: Could your lawsuit against New Line be a problem?

PETER JACKSON: No. It's a seperate thing. I mean, I can't discuss the law suit, but it is just about rather dull audit issues, not people or projects. New Line called us about a Lord of the Rings box set a few weeks ago. A high definition one, so we are still talking.

QUINT: Maybe they will offer a settlement that includes The Hobbit.

PETER JACKSON: No. Well, they might, but we would never do that. Never. You make movies because you love the idea. You feel kind of emotionally driven. I would never commit to a 2 or 3 year project because of a court order! I mean, what a jinx. It would bring bad karma. No, our dull audit stuff can get figured out by lawyers or courts or whatever. We'll keep our movies completely untarnished by that.

QUINT: I think no matter what you should write some dialogue for Christopher Lee and pack up the robe, staff and beard and go film about 10 minutes with him playing Saruman again while you still have the chance!

PETER JACKSON: I would love to! If I was doing THE HOBBIT I'd try to get as many of the guys back as I could. I mean, there's actually a role for Legolas in THE HOBBIT, his father features in it, obviously Gandalf and Saruman should be part of it. There's things that you can do with THE HOBBIT to bring in some old friends, for sure. I have thought about it from time to time... Elrond, Galadriel and Arwen could all feature. Elves have lived for centuries. Part of the attraction would be working with old friends. I wouldn't want to do it unless we could keep a continuity of cast. I have zero interest in directing a Gandalf who wasn't Ian McKellen for instance. Strange to be even talking about it, for three years it's been in this rights situation limbo.

QUINT: They must have figured it out.

PETER JACKSON: It looks that way. I've always thought that New Line would go to MGM and offer them some money and basically buy them out, then New Line would make the film. But I can see what MGM is doing. If I was MGM I'd do the same thing. What MGM is gotta be saying is, "Well, we'll partner in the film with you. We'll pay for half of it and you pay for half of it and we'll share it." That's what studios do a lot with these films. If I was MGM, I'd think that was the smart thing to do. "We'll share the rights," and actually become a partner in what is already a successful franchise.

It must create problems for New Line because they have all these output deals with these independent guys, who did a great job releasing LORD OF THE RINGS in all the different (foreign) territories. They release a package of New Line films over 2 or 3 years and they get 20 films or whatever. And I'm sure that New Line would prefer to offer their partners 20 films plus THE HOBBIT as part of the package, so MGM might be taking domestic and New Line international. I really have no idea, but it's interesting to see how the politics works. That stuff intrigues me. They must have figured out something I guess. I mean, there's too much money involved. If I was the Time/Warner board, I would have been hassling New Line for a Hobbit film for the last three years! It's a billion dollar franchise for the studio.

QUINT: And I'm sure they'd love the idea of two HOBBIT films. Twice the box office, more DVDs to sell...

PETER JACKSON: I saw that. Yeah, we're supposed to be writing The Lovely Bones, but of course Phil, Fran and I read the thing on the net and spent most of this morning talking about The Hobbit. We think the two film idea is really smart. One of the problems with The Hobbit is that it is a fairly simple kids story, and doesn't really feel like The Lord of the Rings. Tonally I mean. It's always may be a little worried, but with two films that kinda gets easier. It allows for more complexity. At that implied stuff with Gandalf and the White Council and the return of Sauron could be fully explored.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to fantasy89)
Post #: 26
RE: Come on Hobbit - 21/9/2006 7:48:15 PM   
dh_19

Look at the current subject title: Come on Hobbit

*giggles uncontrollably like a schoolgirl*

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 27
hobbit no - 1/10/2006 6:08:58 PM   
phillo

LOTR WAS TO LONG not long enough.
no more of the same please ,no to the hobbit

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> The Hobbit Becoming A Reality? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI