Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Force One - 8/9/2006 2:13:19 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Air Force One - 8/9/2006 3:37:16 PM   
BobaJango

Kills time (and brain cells). 2/5.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Force One - 8/9/2006 3:58:59 PM   
PedroSanchez

I hate this film with a passion. So god damn patriotic it makes me want to die. That bit where that bloke flies his fighter jet into the path of that missile to save the president is pathetic. Oh and the line '' get off my plane''. God i want to be sick. Or how about the part where Air Force One chrashes into the sea at the end, complete with piss poor effects. This is an absolute travesty of a film. Don't waste your time watching it. I beg you!

''What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?''

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Force One - 8/9/2006 4:00:52 PM   
BobaJango

Not forgetting the fact that the President of the United States somehow knows how to kick ass!
On second thought, i change my rating from 2 to 1/5.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to PedroSanchez)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Force One - 8/9/2006 4:07:51 PM   
jonson

I quite enjoyed it actually. Gary Oldman is pretty good, and Ford plays the President with the usual over-patriotc bravura.
You can switch your brain off and enjoy.

SPOILER

William H Macy's death was a cheesey cop-out though.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 5
RE: Air Force One - 8/9/2006 4:16:57 PM   
BobaJango

Cheese is what the Yanks do best!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Force One - 16/9/2006 7:03:13 AM   
princessa

Love this film all action flicks should be like this - fun and fast paced.  Although yes it is totally unbelievable!!!!  It is good entertainment.  The actings pretty good in it as well.[image]http://emoticons4u.com/cool/271.gif[/image]

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 7
RE: Air Force One - 19/9/2006 12:27:05 PM   
Monkey Wrench

quote:

ORIGINAL: PedroSanchez
Or how about the part where Air Force One chrashes into the sea at the end, complete with piss poor effects. This is an absolute travesty of a film. Don't waste your time watching it. I beg you!

Er, SPOILER ALERT?!

Who put the brakes on courage?

Post #: 8
fun - 20/11/2007 9:37:08 PM   
Al Swearengen

Took me a while to get around to seeing this and i can see why people wouldn't like this, I actually went in thinking it was going to be a serious political terrorist movie.

Wrong, it's more in touch with the Die Hard sceme of things and it's great no-brainer action, it's a shame they hadn't made this a few years later and made those digital effects better, cause some of that stuff would look amazing now.

Post #: 9
Whole lotta fun - 25/2/2008 1:45:57 PM   
blaud

Harrison Ford in a role he was born to play, and Wolfgang Peterson doing what he does best

Post #: 10
- 16/7/2008 7:58:54 AM   
Zinatam

I wanted to see it for ages, and when it finally came onto the TV I wasn't dissappointed

Post #: 11
- 28/1/2011 3:01:59 PM   
AntGC

Harrison Ford at his best. Killing russians.
Kept me entertained all the way through and the reason it did was because they made good use of the fact all this was on a plane. I expected it be like die hard where ALL the focus is on fighting but the fuel tanker scene and the attempted landing scene were brilliant to watch.

Post #: 12
RE: Air Force One - 28/1/2011 3:04:31 PM   
AntGC

Bad effects? this film was done in 1997 where effects were hardly Avatar effects.

Post #: 13
RE: Air Force One - 29/1/2011 8:05:53 PM   
Mr Grady

You should iron the Star Spangled Banner whilst watching this.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to AntGC)
Post #: 14
RE: Air Force One - 2/2/2011 11:13:00 AM   
undisputed3

i haven't heard it before.

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 15
Fun And Hugely Entertaining - 14/6/2011 7:22:26 PM   
blaud

Air Force One, for using a concept so shrouded in disbelief, is a truly great movie. Using a classic hostage setup but with the unique mechanic of being set aboard the president's private jet, the film is a thrilling actioner with very nice acting and some joyously corny lines ('Get Off My Plane!'). There is, however, a subplot regarding the release of a prisoner which feels tired and ultimately rather tagged on to the main meat of the story, but it's a forgivable sin as the rest of the movie does so much right. Enjoyable and exciting stuff.

Post #: 16
RE: Fun And Hugely Entertaining - 30/8/2012 5:01:29 AM   
Phubbs

Air Force One (1997)

God bless those United States, the old red white and blue, the stars n stripes, the most powerful country in the whole wide world!!

Anyway, this is pretty much your standard terrorist hijack setup with all the regular ingredients that you might expect. Take 'Passenger 57' 'Die Hard 2' and 'Executive Decision' blend them all together, make the one man army hero the President (no vest) and voila!.

This film does well mainly due the huge appeal of Ford and his epic back catalog of movies. His ever lasting rugged good looks, calm manly voice and likeable charisma (even without the fedora) is the stuff of silver screen legend.

The other reason this works so well is Oldman as the main Russian baddie. He's got the stereotypical goatee, a heavy accent and he's really mean, another good Eurotrash villain. Along with Ford that's two rock solid performances which keep the film glued together, without them this could easily have been a very average run of the mill action thriller.

Another thing the film shows you is how nice it is or would be to be President with his highly advanced personal airliner. Never realised how luxurious the interior of the plane is, from top to bottom its like a long narrow mansion. On top of that you also learn a few things about the plane and how cool it really is. Is there really an escape pod on board?

The sets for Air Force One all look top notch and the action is also darn good but its also pretty daft at times. Lots of gun fire in mid air, kinda silly as you'd think at least one might pierce the fuselage, especially with all the machine gun fire haha. Then of course you have the obligatory faceless Russian bad guys, god knows how many there were at first or how many got killed but it seemed to be lots. Ditto for Air Force One personnel, people getting mowed down all over the shop, no idea who they are. Little character development for the bad guys or good guys accept for the odd main roles naturally.

End of the day its your typical action flick cunningly disguised as trying to be something a bit more intelligent...but really its not. Still looks the biz today but the CGI sequence at the end is pretty bad looking I gotta be honest.

'nobody does this to the United States'

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 17
RE: Fun And Hugely Entertaining - 21/9/2012 6:56:31 AM   
cherylsturgill

I do enjoy this movie maybe one because I am still young when I first seen it. Though right now when you see it you'll say that its really predictable/obvious/

I am Cheryl Sturgill, a movie lover, critic, blogger. I love reading reviews of other movie critics such as Eric Schiffer Seop and some others.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 18
RE: Fun And Hugely Entertaining - 21/9/2012 8:33:58 AM   
grucl

1997 was a good year for German directors to bring patriotic American films to the cinema.

(in reply to cherylsturgill)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Air Force One Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI