Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:34:22 PM   
Gwilly

As I said in my post Monkeyshaver the fact that it was over the top was the point. It was an absurd situation a device that the old style sitcom's used to manipulate a joke.
Bowie breaking into a song in a VIP bar 

< Message edited by Gwilly -- 22/9/2006 12:38:30 PM >

www.twisted-films.co.uk

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 121
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:39:43 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Fair enough that may have been the point. But it wasn’t funny & seemed to stick out as a totally unrealistic moment in a sitcom that is grounded in reality.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Gwilly)
Post #: 122
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 12:39:48 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

It appears I like the oppostie shows to everyone else. Last night's was so much better than the weeks before, and I think a reason for that was that it got away from the sitcom a little bit. There were more smaller jokes that worked on their own like the tramp and the VIP seating. 

But half of that whole scene had just been lifted straight out of the Ricky Gervais podcasts which was a shame.

I still found the episode brillliantly funny especially the scenes with the VIP seating and the constant shouts of "It's shit" everytime his show was brought up in a conversation. Plus Steve Merchant and Barry from Eastenders' attempts to pull those women was fantastic

Not quite the words but something along the lines of...

"Or you can come back to mine, one of you can sit and have a coffee with Barry in the kitchen while I get it on with the sexy one [looks at the blonde girl] sorry. Then you can get a taxi home or to anywhere up to the value of £15, or you can walk home and make yourself a nice little earner and pocket the £15."

I was pissing myself during that

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 22/9/2006 12:47:05 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 123
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:44:13 PM   
Gwilly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkeyshaver

Fair enough that may have been the point. But it wasn't funny & seemed to stick out as a totally unrealistic moment in a sitcom that is grounded in reality.

It's possible that the writers were being too clever and that joke was too subtle so went over people's heads but I found it amusing and the song made me laugh. I mean why shouldn't Bowie go to a VIP bar and Millman pay a bouncer to let him sit next to him.

The fact I think that is undeniable though is that the writing is a lot stronger this time round as I said the addition of the old school sitcom within a modern sitcom is excellent.

< Message edited by Gwilly -- 22/9/2006 12:46:32 PM >

www.twisted-films.co.uk

Post #: 124
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:52:10 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gwilly

quote:

Fair enough that may have been the point. But it wasn't funny & seemed to stick out as a totally unrealistic moment in a sitcom that is grounded in reality.

It's possible that the writers were being too clever and that joke was too subtle so went over people's heads but I found it amusing and the song made me laugh. I mean why shouldn't Bowie go to a VIP bar and Millman pay a bouncer to let him sit next to him.

The fact I think that is undeniable though is that the writing is a lot stronger this time round as I said the addition of the old school sitcom within a modern sitcom is excellent.
Ok. I admit it me thick & not really get da meaning of bowie cameo, which now you explain still not make it funny (which is the point of a sitcom isn’t it?) You can be as clever as you want in the writing but in a sitcom this should always serve the comedy. I was really looking forward to Extras 2, I loved the 1st series, but its very disappointing so far.As for the sitcom within the sitcom, the idea is OK but are we going to see it every week?

(in reply to Gwilly)
Post #: 125
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 1:35:13 PM   
audreyII

I didn't laugh once at last night's episode, very disappointing. Should have kept Andy as an Extra.

Insanity runs in my family... it practically gallops

Post #: 126
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 1:47:40 PM   
The_Navy_Way

quote:

ORIGINAL: audreyII

I didn't laugh once at last night's episode, very disappointing. Should have kept Andy as an Extra.

Really?  that's quite depressing actually!  I was in hysterics the whole way through....apart from the Bowie song, which was quite deliberately uncomfortable.....that's what I love about extras, it mixes pathos and humour perfectly.

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 127
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 2:09:55 PM   
audreyII

quote:

ORIGINAL: The_Navy_Way

quote:

Really?  that's quite depressing actually!  I was in hysterics the whole way through....apart from the Bowie song, which was quite deliberately uncomfortable.....that's what I love about extras, it mixes pathos and humour perfectly.

Why is it depressing, I think I may have smiled when he wanted change from a twenty from the homeless guy.

(in reply to The_Navy_Way)
Post #: 128
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 2:10:23 PM   
nailpolish

I enjoyed the show and thought the Bowie song was hilarious ( I loved the crowd joining in). I do think its a series you get more from with repeat viewing.   

(in reply to The_Navy_Way)
Post #: 129
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 2:29:37 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why is it depressing, I think I may have smiled when he wanted change from a twenty from the homeless guy.

What about after paying £60 (it was originally £50) to sit in the VIP area - the agent comes down and sits right next to him. "It's the same seat!"

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 130
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 3:46:36 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Overall the show is enjoyable and does have laugh out loud moments just not as many to me as The Office. That`s still my favourite. Extras just isn`t as consisitently funny. I think Ricky Gervais is a better comedian and writer than an actor by far. Not sure if its a good thing that in the first episode the funnist moments for me were with Keith Chegwin messing up an acting scene. He was hysterical being happy when he should be sad and standing in the wrong place etc. Why Ricky Gervais sees the need to make almost all the stars that feature in it complete arseholes when they probably aren`t I don`t know though and making Keith a bigot. Why don`t they also call Shaun Williamson by his real name to his face as he`s not supposed to be Barry from Eastenders but the guy who was Barry from Eastenders? Maybe I`m being petty he is after all prentending to be like Barry in real life so maybe thats why.

Last night was good too with the homeless guy recognising Rickys character and trying to get as much money as possible off of him, the nerdy fans in the pub and David Bowie using him as an inspiration for a new song about a short fat loser with a funny nose! 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 131
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 3:47:58 PM   
Skiba

Surely the whole joke with Bowie was the fact he was drawing inspiration for a song from some nobody he'd just met and the way he played it completely straight???

Have a good time, all the time.

Post #: 132
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 3:52:14 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Why don`t they also call Shaun Williamson by his real name to his face as he`s not supposed to be Barry from Eastenders but the guy who was Barry from Eastenders? Maybe I`m being petty he is after all prentending to be like Barry in real life so maybe thats why.

Because that's the joke, he's supposed to be a loser, so much in fact that no-one remembers his name, so instead they just call him Barry from Eastenders.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 133
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 3:56:47 PM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Why don`t they also call Shaun Williamson by his real name to his face as he`s not supposed to be Barry from Eastenders but the guy who was Barry from Eastenders? Maybe I`m being petty he is after all prentending to be like Barry in real life so maybe thats why.

Because that's the joke, he's supposed to be a loser, so much in fact that no-one remembers his name, so instead they just call him Barry from Eastenders.

I agree if most people saw the guy in the street the thing most likely that would be said is "oh it's Barry of Eastenders" not "oh it's Shaun Williamson"

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 134
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 6:19:37 PM   
bub

quote:

quote:

Extras was never intended to be an hilariously laugh out loud sitcom. Based around larger than life characters and over the top situations.
Extra's base was always on reality and the real people who live there.

This is why the Bowie cameo didn't work for me. It had nothing to do with reality & was an over the top situation. Bowie would start writing a song about a bloke from a sitcom he's never seen when he's out having a drink in a bar? In the 1st series the star guests often played against audience expectations of their persona's or sent up their image. It didn't need to be Bowie last night, it could have been any big name music star who said yes when Ricky rang 'em up. Pointless. It only seemed to be in the episode because that's what fans expect, a celeb cameo.

I agree I felt Bowie's scene was too forced and didn't fit in with the rest of the show. The rest was hilarious though.

Post #: 135
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 7:49:34 PM   
King_Wah

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I agree if most people saw the guy in the street the thing most likely that would be said is "oh it's Barry of Eastenders" not "oh it's Shaun Williamson"

As stated earlier it is funny that Andy calls him Shaun but his agent calls him Barry.

Was that Mackenzie Crook playing Count Fuckula. Couldn't get a good look at his face but thought it may have been.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 136
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 11:44:55 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok. I admit it me thick & not really get da meaning of bowie cameo, which now you explain still not make it funny (which is the point of a sitcom isn't it?) You can be as clever as you want in the writing but in a sitcom this should always serve the comedy. I was really looking forward to Extras 2, I loved the 1st series, but its very disappointing so far.As for the sitcom within the sitcom, the idea is OK but are we going to see it every week?

It's obviously just your sense of humour then mate... it not supposed to be grounded in reality - that's why Bowie's was probably the second best cameo of all.
Bloody funny, but if you don't get it you don't get it... even my Mum laughed - and that's saying something.

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

Post #: 137
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 23/9/2006 10:16:13 AM   
bub

Barry is on Soccer AM right now.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 138
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 23/9/2006 4:44:47 PM   
pettsy

Yet more brilliance, the only thing I'm making an effort to watch every week, even though I watch half of it through my fingers.  Almost as good as Curb Your Enthusiasm, certainly in the same vein.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 139
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 11:00:20 AM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ok. I admit it me thick & not really get da meaning of bowie cameo, which now you explain still not make it funny (which is the point of a sitcom isn't it?) You can be as clever as you want in the writing but in a sitcom this should always serve the comedy. I was really looking forward to Extras 2, I loved the 1st series, but its very disappointing so far.As for the sitcom within the sitcom, the idea is OK but are we going to see it every week?

It's obviously just your sense of humour then mate... it not supposed to be grounded in reality - that's why Bowie's was probably the second best cameo of all.
Bloody funny, but if you don't get it you don't get it... even my Mum laughed - and that's saying something.

Yep, my sense of humour it must be as I think When The Whistle Blows is funny! I hope they give us a full episode as a bonus when Extras 2 gets a dvd release!

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 140
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 11:09:13 AM   
audreyII

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

quote:

quote:

What about after paying £60 (it was originally £50) to sit in the VIP area - the agent comes down and sits right next to him. "It's the same seat!"

It just wasn't funny enough to make me laugh out loud, maybe i'm just a miserable faced blank.

Post #: 141
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 1:16:50 PM   
Marky_Mark

Watched it again last night, mainly just to see Bowie's performance at the end! Brilliant!

"Pug....pug.....pug-nosed face....SEE HIS PUG-NOSED FACE!"

Can you download the song anywhere?

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 142
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 5:05:08 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Bowie needs to release the song.

"Fatty little fat man..."

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 143
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 8:00:33 PM   
Sugar Kowalczyk

I watched this episode a while ago and I never stopped laughing the ending esp. made me burst out in a fit of laughter when they introduced Andy to Count Fuckula!! However they could of done without David Bowie he definetly isn't the best celeb to appear on Extras but I liked the fact that he took the piss out of himself because that is how he writes his songs.
Barry/Shaun and the agent are still as funny as hell and when the girl recognised Shaun as being the person who did some work on the house was hilarous. The highlight for me was when they found a review of Andy's sitcom 'When the Whistle Blows' but were reading out 'The Wind in the Willows' and said but theres a picture of Andy on here...it turns out it was Toad
Also When the Whistles Blows reminded me of a sitcom that the BBC used to show and I realised what is was.......

Dinnerladies!!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 144
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 8:05:03 PM   
Mikey C

I'm enjoying it but mainly in an "oooh, that's clever" kind of way rather than a laugh-out-loud way.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Sugar Kowalczyk)
Post #: 145
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 25/9/2006 8:53:47 PM   
___

In my opinion: Extras again shows that Gervais and Merchant aren't quite as clever as they think they are.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very funny jokes and clever gags but the show is executed clumsily, poorly structured and a lot of it falls flat.

The 11 Oclock Show stuff, The Ricky Gervais Show, the Stand up stuff, the podcast and now Extras are often little better than some of the shows Gervais looks down on.

The Office was a masterpiece and one of the finest comedies I've seen but everything else that Gervais and Merchant have produced has not been. They deserve to be praised and remembered for The Office but the same can't be said for the rest of their output.

There I said it, the emperor is naked.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 146
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 26/9/2006 6:27:52 PM   
doubleshiny

I hadn't seen any of the second series until Monday, and while I thought it was good, I think it's pretty easy to make something funny when you've got incredibly famous people willing to play against type. The David Bowie bit was great, but without that it would have been a bit, dare I say..ordinary?

"Claire, that's disgusting" - Sylar, Season 3

(in reply to ___)
Post #: 147
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 27/9/2006 2:07:28 PM   
24Dan

quote:

I agree.

Ricky Gervais (and Merchant) i feel, are trying to make too much of a Curb Your Enthusiasm comedy.
And since Curb Your Enthusiasm is a hell of a lot better i just dont find Extras as funny.
Last weeks epidose just wasnt funny.

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 148
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 27/9/2006 7:15:47 PM   
target

That's mental!!

I thought it was a great episode last week, had me in stiches all the way through. i loved it when barry said "they've got the same throat".

< Message edited by target -- 28/9/2006 5:34:48 PM >

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 149
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 28/9/2006 9:33:51 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Funniest one for me so far.  Lots of laugh out loud moments as well as a few cringes.

Warwick "What do you think this ring is for"
Andy "I don't know, you're a hobbit?"

Great exchanges between Andy and Maggie, Andy and Agent, Maggie and Daniel.  Excellent

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to target)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI