Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Extras - Second series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Extras - Second series - 19/9/2006 3:56:24 PM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

I'd guess that Bloom & Depp got on pretty well for him to have even done that, I doubt he wants to blow any chance of being in anymore Pirates films!!!  Tho if he does, that episode is probably going to be played on the set continuously

How are they getting Bowie and Chris Martin later on into the series, not that I object to seeing them but I don't see how the framework of Extras means the characters will be meeting musicians (ok, Bowie acts too so not such a stretch there)...!?

I think the connection could be music videos.  I know for definite that Martin's episode revolves around him filming a video for a charity single...wonder where they got that idea

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 91
RE: Extras - Second series - 20/9/2006 7:49:19 PM   
Spackhandy Choptubes

I thought it was a great episode. My favourite bits were the Lenny Henry gag and 'Barry's' whole performance! I did think though that Andy came across as bit too much like David Brent during the scene where he was directing Keith Chegwin. It reminded me of the scene where Brent is giving Big Keith his appraisal.

I wondered how long it would take before these boards descended into some sort of French hidden buttock agenda.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 92
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 8:54:49 AM   
zombiemaster

I thought the first episode was great cant wait for tonights one should be good

When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth

(in reply to Spackhandy Choptubes)
Post #: 93
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:37:41 PM   
Art Vandelay

Yet another brilliant episode! Before Bowie's appearance in the last 5 mins, it really showed how the show is so much more than just guest cameos and celebrity appearances, and Barry and The Agent may just be the greatest Comedy duo since...forever!

Oh, and the Bowie song at the end; possibly funnier than any of David Brent's performances. And that's saying something.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to zombiemaster)
Post #: 94
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:40:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Art Vandelay

Oh, and the Bowie song at the end; possibly funnier than any of David Brent's performances. And that's saying something.

That was on par with the "dance" in The Office for embarassing scenes to watch.   I find Stephen Merchant very funny

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 95
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:42:01 PM   
Venkman

Hiliarious song by Bowie and another great episode.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 96
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:50:27 PM   
Heywood

Another good episode. Didn't laugh quite as much as last week, but I think I saw some of the best scenes one too many times in the trailer. Bowie was funny:  one of the best guest stars they have had. The cringe factor was upped a lot since last week, particularly when Andy was getting Maggie to ask for his autograph. Noticed a bit of recycling from The Office: the group of fans at the end seemed just like Gareth's 'crew'. Gervais and Merchant also seem to like the name Gobbler.

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 97
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:52:16 PM   
BigBadWolf

< Message edited by BigBadWolf -- 22/9/2006 3:50:36 PM >

(in reply to Venkman)
Post #: 98
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:52:56 PM   
Boring Prophet

Damn funny. Anyone know who's making an appearance next week?

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 99
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:56:49 PM   
Heywood

Daniel Radcliffe next week: supposed to be funny, I heard.

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 100
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 9:58:04 PM   
Rgirvan44

What really amazes me is that Shaun Williamson (Barry from Eastenders) is one of the highlights of the show - he is actully stealing scenes! I will find it ironic if he ends up becoming a star in the states while the likes of Kemp who have been paid millions have done nothing to break out of Britian.

And the Bowie song was great.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to BigBadWolf)
Post #: 101
RE: Extras - Second series - 21/9/2006 11:04:22 PM   
Castor Troy

Much improvement from last weeks patchy effort. It felt a lot fresher and just consistantly more funny. Bowie's appearance didn't feel forced and I loved how they ended it. A bit of Brent coming through when Andy first met that girl outside his flat, but that's no bad thing. The tramp bit was great as were the agent and Barry.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 102
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 12:03:58 AM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Only managed to catch the end, but Bowie never fails!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 103
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 1:42:23 AM   
frankj

Bowie sings. 'Barry' harmonises.

Beautiful stuff.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 104
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 7:38:11 AM   
Dr Geek

Beautiful......Classic! Bowie was fantastic.....Little Fat Man Pug Nose.....Pug Nose...Pug Nose! Wonderful stuff!   

'I don't want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member.' Woody Allen quoting Groucho Marx
'That Rabbits Dynamite....Brother Maynard, bring
us the Holy Hand grenade' King Arthur
Power to the people who punish bad cinema!

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 105
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 7:57:27 AM   
King_Wah

I was just a little worried that Andy eemed to be turning into Brent a bit last night. There were some funny scenes but overall I was a little disappointed. I agree with those who are saying Shaun Williamson is stealing the show he is great.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Dr Geek)
Post #: 106
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 8:25:59 AM   
matty_b

What can I say? Bowie and his song - true comedy genius! I love how it was all set up so it looked like Bowie was going to give Andy some deep and meaningful advice about fame and criticism. 

And has anyone noticed that while Andy calls Shaun Williamson Shaun, Darren (is that the agents name?) always calls him Barry? Just noticed that last night!

I know Gervais said that there's an arc to this series - I just hope that twat Greg gets his comeuppance. Such a smug wanker.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 22/9/2006 8:32:38 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 107
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 9:43:09 AM   
Monkeyshaver

Disappointing, despite Barry Off Eastenders being great. It’s all starting to get a little predictable now. Yes its well observed but not that funny. I thought Bowie’s appearance was rubbish. He meets Andy then starts singing some stupid song about him?!? I know this is a sitcom not real life but Gervais has always aimed for realism, this was just too broad & unrealistic. Maybe he’s become trapped by the hook of having celebs in each episode? Hope the rest of the series gets better.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 108
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 9:57:55 AM   
BelfastBoy

I presume we're supposed to like Andy as a character, but what about Maggie? Is she a true friend to Andy or just someone who hangs around with him because she doesn't appear to know many other people? There's been at least two occasions now (last night and the 6th episode of series 1) where Maggie actively seeks to undermine Andy. So, is she meant to be a stupid character, or a malicious person? OK, so last night, she only made Andy look stupid as a fake autograph hunter, but in the last series, she did try to sabotage his sitcom project going ahead.

Last night's episode was beautifully written, but I'm increasingly worried that I'm cringing more than I'm actually laughing. Bowie's song was a particularly cruel piece of humiliation, although it succeeded in portraying how harsh the world of celebrity must be (ie Andy totally out of his depth). However, big plus points for series 2 so far are the agent and 'Barry'.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 109
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:19:59 AM   
TobiasFunke

I'm with everyone else, Shaun Williamson is stealing the show on a weekly basis. The gags about the obsessed fan recognising him as the bloke who did some work on his mum's house was brilliant. It was also nice to see the Andy/Maggie dynamic return, as it was lacking last week. Bowie's cameo was great, he's joint 1st place with Patrick Stewart ("but I've seen everything") as my favourite Extras guest star.

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to BelfastBoy)
Post #: 110
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:24:06 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

Gervais has always aimed for realism

Do you think the other guest stars have partrayed a realistic side to themselves then??

quote:

So, is she meant to be a stupid character 

Yes.

Great episode, not as good as the first IMO, but still excellent.
I was worried that the agent and Barry might start to be included too often, but
last night I couldn't get enough of them - very funny.
Bowie was hillarious and the scene with the begger was a classic moment.

Best line -

"I'll just end up another washed-up star drinking himself to death"

"Don't be silly, you're not a star and being fat will kill you before the drink"

Post #: 111
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:25:26 AM   
Base

Is it being repeated????  Crap weather f&*ked up the reception so the tape was unwatchable, got to Bowie taking their seats in the club then gave up, sounds like I missed the best parts

I think Maggie is supposed to be nice but dim...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 112
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:27:13 AM   
24Dan

First episode was great the best one after last years finale.
But the second episode last night was dire. I dont think i really laughed at all.
Very dissapointing.
Lets hope Daniel Radcliffe can do something magic next week to make it better.

Get what i did there? Magic....he played a wizard.....

Professional Analrapist

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 113
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:29:29 AM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

I have a problem with Maggie, or more accurately what has happened to her character. In the 1st series both her & Andy were mates, both a bit stupid at times etc. But now he has ‘made it’ sort of, & she is just hanging around. Seems like she is being sidelined as the buffoon rather than part of the more equal double act that was present in the 1st series.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 114
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 10:59:35 AM   
Castor Troy

It appears I like the oppostie shows to everyone else. Last night's was so much better than the weeks before, and I think a reason for that was that it got away from the sitcom a little bit. There were more smaller jokes that worked on their own like the tramp and the VIP seating. 

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 115
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 11:47:24 AM   
calhoon

I roared with laughter every time that Merchant called Shaun Williamson 'Barry'. there is a danger that Merchant (rather than 'Barry') may well be stealing the show. His 'pulling technique' was inspired.

Thought the Bowie song was a bit forced to be honest, still the best half hour of television on at the moment though.

"I could kiss you all over the face right now"

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 116
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 11:59:47 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

Is it being repeated????  Crap weather f&*ked up the reception so the tape was unwatchable, got to Bowie taking their seats in the club then gave up, sounds like I missed the best parts

It's repeated on Saturday or Sunday Night on BBC2 (Sorry can't remember what day but I know last week it was around 11.30pm)

I must agree Shaun and the Agent are the best thing about the show at the moment. The bit where the agent work out Shaun own him £27 as his agents cut for him doing some guttering work at someone house made me laugh

< Message edited by jediwarrior -- 22/9/2006 12:02:34 PM >

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 117
RE: Extras - Second series - 22/9/2006 12:17:19 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: 24Dan

First episode was great the best one after last years finale.
But the second episode last night was dire. I dont think i really laughed at all.
Very dissapointing.
Lets hope Daniel Radcliffe can do something magic next week to make it better.

Get what i did there? Magic....he played a wizard.....

If that's the level of your humour I can see why you didn't laugh much!

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to 24Dan)
Post #: 118
Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:22:55 PM   
Gwilly

Extras Tragi-Comedy : Genius

Where romantic comedy says: These aggressions can be overcome, and realistic comedy says: these aggressions will be punished,
Tragic-Comedy. . . says these aggressions can neither be transcended nor brought to heel, they are human nature, they are life, and they rule the world. (Bentley 342)

Now I'll stop being pretentious as Extras is by far the best British show on T.V.

I have heard a lot of negativity from fans regarding the new series which has confused me somewhat and makes me wonder what they were expecting. 
'Many say it's dreadful, That  it isn't  funny and that the writing is lazy.'

But when you really think about the show you discover all sorts of layers in the writing and Extras 2  in my opinion has been excellent, very funny (in parts) and the writing has got even better.

As most of it's viewers know, Extras was never intended to be an hilariously laugh out loud sitcom. Based around larger than life characters and over the top situations.
Extra's base was always on reality and the real people who live there.
Then Merchant and Gervais would use cutting observations in everyday situations, the laughs follow because we have been there, said that, wish we'd said that or (usually) wish we hadn't.

Therefore Extras was always a slow burner of a sitcom like the Royal Family that would gently guide you by the hand and then hit you with a scene or punchline that was so true to life it was just plain funny.

However Gervais and Merchant's masterstroke is the excellent addition of Andy Milmans own sitcom 'When The Whistle Blows' an old school sitcom based around larger than life characters, catchphrases and over the top situations. Like Hi De Hi, Are You Being Served and Allo Allo, When the Whistle Blows is in fact the antithesis of  Extras.

But instead of condeming that type of sitcom what Gervais and Merchant manage to do is celebrate them. Not only by making the scenes of When the Whistle Blows amusing in themselves showing that their is still a place for the old school sitcom but also using many of the conventions those type of shows relied on in Extra's itself.

The recurring character of Barry from Eastenders, The larger than life agent, the over the top situations they find themselves in and the extraodinary people Maggie and Andy meet.

As for the catchphrase? Well isn't 'You're having a laugh,' now synonomous with the sitcom Extras.

Gervais and Merchant, British Sitcom Saviours.

< Message edited by Gwilly -- 22/9/2006 12:31:57 PM >

www.twisted-films.co.uk

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 119
RE: Extras : Tragic - Comedy : Genius - 22/9/2006 12:29:03 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

Extras was never intended to be an hilariously laugh out loud sitcom. Based around larger than life characters and over the top situations.
Extra's base was always on reality and the real people who live there.

This is why the Bowie cameo didn't work for me. It had nothing to do with reality & was an over the top situation. Bowie would start writing a song about a bloke from a sitcom he's never seen when he's out having a drink in a bar? In the 1st series the star guests often played against audience expectations of their persona's or sent up their image. It didn't need to be Bowie last night, it could have been any big name music star who said yes when Ricky rang 'em up. Pointless. It only seemed to be in the episode because that's what fans expect, a celeb cameo.

(in reply to Gwilly)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI