Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Extras - Second series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 4:09:50 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Great start to the series. Poor Depp though, but Bloom must have had fun being an arse.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to kingoftheducks)
Post #: 61
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 4:24:26 PM   
Nicola1001

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy
The funniest bit was:

"Willy Wonka? Johnny Wanker."

That was the first laugh out loud bit for me. I really enjoyed it. I thought it hadn't lost anything from the first series.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 62
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 4:52:09 PM   
libertine

Fantastic start! Looks like another great series. Orlando Bloom surprised me a lot, very funny then again who wouldn't be with such great lines?

(in reply to Nicola1001)
Post #: 63
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 5:58:28 PM   
kingalan

I thought it was great. I laughed out loud constantly. Probably the most consistently funny episode of Extras so far and like someone else said, The Simpsons influence was very obvious; from the opening spoof of piss-poor rom-coms, to the surreal, throwaway gags (slogan t-shirts being the main one). The fact that this season looks set to have it's own little arc now is also very inriguing.

Although I always respect any of the actors who take the piss out of themselves in Extras (and The Simpsons, Curb etc) I could still sense a bland, uncharismatic actor trying to be funny  rather than someone with a good sense of comedy in Orlando Bloom's scenes. Still kudos to him for doing it and he had some great lines. The 'Johnny Wanker' one was hilarious.

(in reply to libertine)
Post #: 64
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 6:01:34 PM   
matty_b

Yeah I think people like Ross Kemp, Les Dennis, Patrick Stewart were far superior at sending themselves up, But, still, give him credit for doing it.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 65
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 6:09:35 PM   
juanvasquez

I thought the scene with him showing the 'best kisser' articles was funny. It's the best episode I've seen.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 66
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 6:12:48 PM   
pettsy

I loved it.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one who was a little surprised when Andy gave in and allowed the show to go ahead, I thought he would jack it all in and go back to the extras circuit.  Maybe that's next week.   Cheggers not as cringeworthy as Les Dennis, but still quite funny.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 67
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 6:19:02 PM   
GhostWriter

Thought it was a good start to the second series, it was a tad guilty of being over observative plus Ricky's 'Basil" moment when directing Keith wasn't as funny as I thought it was supposed to be.

But saying that I had reservations during the first episode last year which really grew on me. Looking forward to Bowie next week.

If anything goes wrong, Desmond Hume will be my constant.

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 68
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 6:31:55 PM   
nailpolish

I'm not a great fan of Gervais cringe type comedy but did think Orlando Bloom and Cheggers were excellent.  Bloom should do more comedy. 

(in reply to GhostWriter)
Post #: 69
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:33:41 PM   
Art Vandelay

Brilliant! A fine return for the comedy duo of Ricky & Steve. All the hilarious moments have pretty much been mentiond above, but i really can't get enough of The Agent and Barry! My new favourite comedy duo and when reading an interview lately, it was great to hear that we'll be seeing a lot more of those two together.

"You see, its funny because he's so desperate..."

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

(in reply to nailpolish)
Post #: 70
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:36:45 PM   
Castor Troy

I watched the episode again, and it was good, but too many gaps where I wasn't laughing. It was nice to watch, just not 'hilarious'.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 71
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:50:44 PM   
dh_19

It was an ok start to the series. I strangely found the Orlando Bloom moments the funniest!(?)

Did anyone else find it strange that Maggie didn't fancy Orlando despite having a poster of him in her flat during series 1?

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 72
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:54:06 PM   
Samuelpoet

I thought it was alittle too samey with some of the material... but overall I enjoyed it...

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 73
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 8:28:23 PM   
target

Good start to the series last night, racist keith was funny and orlando played a good smug bastard. Andy was a bit gloomy through out the episode, i like him better when he's having a laugh. And i dont find steve merchant funny at all as the manager, mabey he's suposed to be an unlikeable character.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 74
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:28:37 PM   
Castor Troy

Three-and-a-half million viewers tuned in to see the first episode of Ricky Gervais's returning sitcom Extras.

However, figures were down on the 4.8 million who saw the first episode of series one, which eventually drew an average of 3.9 million during its run.
Featuring guest appearances by Orlando Bloom and Keith Chegwin, the programme saw Gervais's character Andy Millman battle to launch a generic BBC sitcom.
David Bowie and Sir Ian McKellen are to appear in forthcoming instalments.
Extras fared better than Channel 4's new drama Low Winter Sun, which drew 1.4 million in the same 2100 BST slot.
But it was beaten by both BBC One's Aberfan: The Untold Story documentary and Bad Girls on ITV1, which drew audiences of 4.1 million and 4.7 million respectively.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 75
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:55:20 PM   
Art Vandelay

Well, for BBC2, those are still some darn good ratings.

Jamdodge1: The Burial - An epic and tragic tale of Lies, Betrayal, Redemption & jam on a 12 year old's head...

"Fuck! The cunts found us. Get the fucking rifle."

Post #: 76
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 10:28:29 PM   
Godzilla

I really enjoyed it, the Barry stuff was fantastic, his agent is hilarious too, only thing which felt a bit forced was the racist Keith scene. But overall very funny indeed.

Spider-Pig, Spider-Pig,
Does whatever a Spider-Pig does,
Lookout,
He is the Spider-Pig!

(in reply to Art Vandelay)
Post #: 77
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 12:03:58 AM   
mfj fratelli

Dammit! I haven't even seen Series 1 yet. I'm a Gervais junky who needs his fix. I'm impatiently awaiting the Region 1 release.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Godzilla)
Post #: 78
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 12:43:11 AM   
target

I think teres a link on page two(of this thread) to a bbc web site were you can watch series 1 and the first episode of series 2.

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 79
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 11:30:40 AM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: target

I think teres a link on page two(of this thread) to a bbc web site were you can watch series 1 and the first episode of series 2.

...in Britain.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to target)
Post #: 80
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 12:39:06 PM   
target

How does it make any diffrence what country your from? Does it not let americans in.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 81
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 1:04:15 PM   
Mikey C

quote:

How does it make any diffrence what country your from? Does it not let americans in.

Checks your IP address.

My internet ramblings

(in reply to target)
Post #: 82
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 1:07:42 PM   
target

You learn something new everyday. I just thought it was called the world wide web for a reason.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 83
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 1:10:35 PM   
Mikey C

Broadcast rights.

My internet ramblings

(in reply to target)
Post #: 84
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 6:37:45 PM   
DancingClown

It was alright, a little too early to judge this early on in the series. Though people here seem to be claiming that getting Keith 'I used to drink two bottles of Night-Nurse every day' Chegwin to say words like 'minge' and 'cock' constitutes a genuis comedy performance. This I disagree with. It's base humour, amusing yes, but hardly hysterical. There's a veritable well of old TV presenters they could entice back on our screens in such a way. It seems a bit lazy. Next week - Floella Benjamin discusses felching?

As for Bloom, he seemed mildly amusing, though he's certainly no comic mastermind and he certainly has nothing to lose by sending himself up.

Hopefully it'll get better. I was just a little put-of beforehand by Ricky's cringeworthy and smug turn with his mate Jonathan Ross the other week. Seemed a little pretentious.

The Lenny Henry gag was funny though, as was Merchant's 'take it up the arse' faux-pas in front of the 'gays'. Though again, it's hardly trail-blazing.

That bit when he lamented the audience members wearing the catchphrase T-shirts left me puzzled. Was he attacking the comics behind those catchphrases? Or just the way that modern audiences and marketers simply extrapolate the more superficial elements of otherwise great comedy? I hope it's the latter, because there's nothing more unpleasant than one load of comics claiming superiority over other popular comics - even if it is expressed within a so-called 'post modern' framework. The Office was gold, but I'm just having trouble taking Extras to my heart in the same way. Gervais doesn't need to preach because I would find that very off-putting.

But like I said it's early days...and I could be proved to be talking absolute gash.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 85
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 6:43:50 PM   
Castor Troy

quote:

That bit when he lamented the audience members wearing the catchphrase T-shirts left me puzzled. Was he attacking the comics behind those catchphrases? Or just the way that modern audiences and marketers simply extrapolate the more superficial elements of otherwise great comedy? I hope it's the latter, because there's nothing more unpleasant than one load of comics claiming superiority over other popular comics - even if it is expressed within a so-called 'post modern' framework.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Firstly because of what Andy has said in the last series and this episode about catchphrases. And also I'm pretty sure I've heard Gervais' praise for Little Britain and Phoenix Nights in the past. I think he's referring to the audience rather than the comedy.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 86
RE: Extras - Second series - 16/9/2006 9:54:20 PM   
repo man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

I think teres a link on page two(of this thread) to a bbc web site were you can watch series 1 and the first episode of series 2.

...in Britain.

...not that I condone this sort of thing, but you can download all the episodes from bit torrent sites, as well as all the DVD extras.  If the BBC are offering the programs as downloads anyway, what difference does it make where you get them from. 

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 87
RE: Extras - Second series - 17/9/2006 11:33:38 AM   
Tyler_Durdan

Just incase people didnt realise the first episode of the new series is being repeated tonight at 11.25 on bbc 2, after match of the day 2 and before the athletics. Looks like its a night of bbc 2 for me.

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 88
RE: Extras - Second series - 18/9/2006 11:26:22 PM   
Cabal aka Boone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

That bit when he lamented the audience members wearing the catchphrase T-shirts left me puzzled. Was he attacking the comics behind those catchphrases? Or just the way that modern audiences and marketers simply extrapolate the more superficial elements of otherwise great comedy? I hope it's the latter, because there's nothing more unpleasant than one load of comics claiming superiority over other popular comics - even if it is expressed within a so-called 'post modern' framework.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter. Firstly because of what Andy has said in the last series and this episode about catchphrases. And also I'm pretty sure I've heard Gervais' praise for Little Britain and Phoenix Nights in the past. I think he's referring to the audience rather than the comedy.

Its most definitely the latter. One of the tee shirts simply had the Budweiser 'Wassup' slogan, hardly comic genius, but certainly a 'catchphrase' that audiences / the general public took and repeated ad infinitum a good few years ago!
The fact that Andy kept arguing the 'having a laff' line was simply being true to his source material (the guy he based the character on) and NOT a catchphrase kinda hammered the point home when the audience's tee shirts were shown.
But then he saw the power of the catchphrase and made a much bigger deal of it in the scene. Thereby selling his soul to the BBC Light Entertainment Devil.

Personally I liked the episode a lot, and even more so upon second viewing last night. Cheggers had me laughing out loud, (his poor acting ability, the cocks up the arse tirade, etc) and Bloom's Johnny Wanker line is classic. I'd be interested in knowing whether they or Bloom approached Depp to give him a heads up, or whether they are just hoping he sees the funny side if ever he gets to watch it. He does have quite a British sense of humour after all.

Not as funny as the Patrick Stewart or Kate Winslet episodes, but funnier than much of UK TV's current output.

http://twitter.com/SteveKuma

Stan Winston - April 7, 1946 June 15, 2008

Post #: 89
RE: Extras - Second series - 19/9/2006 3:12:12 PM   
Base

I'd guess that Bloom & Depp got on pretty well for him to have even done that, I doubt he wants to blow any chance of being in anymore Pirates films!!!  Tho if he does, that episode is probably going to be played on the set continuously

How are they getting Bowie and Chris Martin later on into the series, not that I object to seeing them but I don't see how the framework of Extras means the characters will be meeting musicians (ok, Bowie acts too so not such a stretch there)...!?

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Cabal aka Boone)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI