Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Extras - Second series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Extras - Second series - 14/9/2006 11:24:27 PM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: audreyII

I loved the Patrick Stewart episode, I missed most of it the first time as I was just couldn't stop laughing after he tells Andy the "plot" of his film. It's making me laugh just thinking about it, hope we get more of that!

I think that was probably one of the finest moments of the series. Absolutely hilarious stuff, and I'll be very impressed if anything in this series comes to that standard. Tonights was okay, I actually thought the bits with Orlando Bloom were the best. Weird!

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to audreyII)
Post #: 31
RE: Extras - Second series - 14/9/2006 11:33:10 PM   
frankj

I liked it. I think I'll be more effusive once I've watched it again - Extras always makes me laugh more second time around, for some reason!

I'm also quite chuffed that they seem to be setting up a nice dramatic arc for this season.

Orlando Bloom did a great job, but Cheggers stole the show - seeing a Saturday morning cheeky chappie spout bigoted venom made my jaw drop.
I just pray that nobody watching was nodding in approval - Steve and Ricky're walking a very fine line there!

As a wee aside, do you remember the headline Viz magazine used for a (spoof) story about Keith's (real) battle with alcoholism? "Cheggers Can't Be Boozers" - genuis.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 32
RE: Extras - Second series - 14/9/2006 11:34:03 PM   
Indio

It was ok but I thought the Orlando Bloom bits worked better than the sit-com bits, and what happened to Keith Chegwin, he just disappeared half way through.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 33
RE: Extras - Second series - 14/9/2006 11:55:18 PM   
Lego_boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: King_Wah

I think Gervais and Merchant are clever enough not to spin that 'will they, won't they' line as a tease. Their comedy is not about that.

Dawn and Tim?  This wasn't a bad episode, but I think the cracks are beginning to show -  the celebrity element in particular is getting very predictable now especially.

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 34
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 12:02:22 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lego_boy
the celebrity element in particular is getting very predictable now especially.

I found Bloom's character to be a bit similar to Patrick Stewart and maybe Ross Kemp in that he was obsessed with himself and talked about sex. But I guess the joke was that Maggie can never find a bloke but when Orlando Bloom comes along, she turns him down. But it felt a little unrealistic to me.

I'll watch the repeat on Sunday and hopefully enjoy it more.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Lego_boy)
Post #: 35
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 12:31:39 AM   
repo man

two pence worth... thought there were more laugh out loud bits in this one episode than the whole of the first series - this programme seemed to pick up a gear with the Patrick Stewart episode and really built on that tonight. 

Loved the Chegwin bad acting scene, and the bit with Barry dropping the sweets was pure Simpsons - the Lenny Henry joke was v funny too, and it is treading a bit of a fine line - it seems like more of Ricky Gervais's stand up style of comedy is finding its way into the programme

The T Shirt slogans was a bit cheeky but as a dig at run of the mill catchphrase comedy it'll probably never be bettered. Anyway.  Hope it keeps up this standard throughout the series

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 36
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 1:19:12 AM   
Evil.Groovy.Ash

i thought it was awful. loved the 1st series, but if this is what the 2nd series is going to be like then it's a shame.

last five films watched:

Bridemaids 2/5
Transformers 3 3/5
Green Lantern 1/5
X-Men First Class 3/5
Hangover 2 1/5

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 37
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:15:19 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: repo man
the Lenny Henry joke was v funny too,

I need to watch this again as that seems to have passed me by completely.....    I agree about it being very close to the mark.  When Cheggars was spouting that stuff I was cringing as well as thinking "wonder how many people are reaching for the phone to complain".    Still, I did enjoy it and look forward to next weeks episode

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to repo man)
Post #: 38
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 7:57:27 AM   
demondemon

the bits with celebs will always be funny.
but the rest was just a bit average. the last 5 minutes.zzzzzzzzzzzz.

i dont find the sit com stuff funny at all.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 39
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 8:26:08 AM   
matty_b

A good start - and they nailed the bad sitcom at the end perfectly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to demondemon)
Post #: 40
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:05:45 AM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

...and they nailed the bad sitcom at the end perfectly. 

Yeah, that was perfectly observed.

Cheggars' "cocks and minges" speech was hilarious...I'll have to watch the repeat cos I missed most of it wiping the tears from my eyes.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 41
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:09:33 AM   
Brock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: repo man
the Lenny Henry joke was v funny too,

I need to watch this again as that seems to have passed me by completely.....    I agree about it being very close to the mark. 

I thought that broke the general comedian etiquete - outright calling another comedian unfunny is meant to be a pretty big no-no. Hard to go along with Gervais on this when his own stuff can be a bit hit-and-miss at times.

Post #: 42
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:29:01 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

But it felt a little unrealistic to me.

Blimey mate, that's the whole point.... which bits do you think are realistic.?

I enjoyed it, still only 50% as good as the office but head and shoulders above any other comedy on TV at the moment.

I'm also looking forward to The Green Green Grass tonight.

Post #: 43
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 9:37:53 AM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

It was all going so well until you said that...I can just picture watching it with your blanket over your knees to keep the chill off, and your tartan mono-boot.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 44
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 10:02:11 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: RuffKut

quote:

It was all going so well until you said that...I can just picture watching it with your blanket over your knees to keep the chill off, and your tartan mono-boot.

You forgot to mention the Hot-Chocolate....

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 45
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 10:32:26 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

quote:

I meant it was unrealistic to her character more than anything  (although it is meant to be an observed comedy). Why wouldn't she want to kiss Orlando Bloom? It's quite a funny joke, but it seemed a bit wierd to me. But let's not dwell because it was only a passing thought.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 46
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 10:32:58 AM   
Monkeyshaver

A good start to the new series although at times it felt like this episode was setting up the plot of the series. I didn't think the Orlando Bloom stuff was particularly funny though. But there was still some priceless stuff, Cheggars was excellent, Gervais' frustration at Cheggars 'acting'. Gervais' speech about integrity & then turning to Barry with all the food falling out of his jacket. The sitcom itself was perfectly accurate, Gervais seemed to be channelling Ken Morley! When he looked out at the audience in their catchphrase emblazoned t-shirts & behind the set after his 1st scene, you could just feel his frustration at the whole thing & that he's pretty much caught in it & his dream is being destroyed. I hope Barry off of eastenders gets a bigger role as the series progresses & it focuses on the ensemble cast rather than just Andy.

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 47
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 10:34:38 AM   
Castor Troy

quote:

I hope Barry off of eastenders gets a bigger role as the series progresses & it focuses on the ensemble cast rather than just Andy.

Apparantly it does. The agent and Barry both have bigger parts apparantly.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 48
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:07:52 AM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

I hope Barry off of eastenders gets a bigger role as the series progresses & it focuses on the ensemble cast rather than just Andy.

Apparantly it does. The agent and Barry both have bigger parts apparantly.

Barrys got a big part? "Are you 'avin a laugh?"

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

Post #: 49
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:30:51 AM   
Henry JW

Only seen one of the new episodes so far, and it was alright but, I missed the last one. I'll have to catch it next time it's on. Second series doesn't sound like a disaster to me, although it probably isn't as good as the first.

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 50
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:46:05 AM   
Heywood

Henry, this was the first episode of the new series. Personally, I found it the funniest episode of Extras so far. Perhaps not the cleverest or best written, but with the most laugh-out loud moments. I have to agree with everything Monkeyshaver said above: I didn't find the Orlando bit that funny (although he did as well as he could with what he was given), but thought Cheggars was good, especially his bad acting scene.

On the whole, though, I think it is the regular cast who make the series, not the star guests. Gervais and Jensen are always good and anchor the show well, often acting in the straight role. I think the Agent and Barry are the funniest things on the show, especially the bits where the former apologises to the gay producers for his up the arse comments and when all the food falls out of 'Barry's' clothes.

Totally agree that Gervais was doing a bit of a Ken Morley impression there. Loved the bit where he sees all the audience wearing the catchphrase T-shirts. The funy black comedian bit was also funny, if a bit harsh on Lenny Henry.

(in reply to Henry JW)
Post #: 51
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:51:52 AM   
MOTH

i thought it was excellent - a great combination of obvious, cringeworthy, satirical, cruel and clever jokes as well as a splendid (and hopefully long-running) jibe at the 10-a-penny, godawful sitcoms that pass for humour on TV nowadays. Good stuff. 

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Heywood)
Post #: 52
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:55:53 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Does the show get repeated at all? It was my birthday so I was out getting drunk and forgot to Sky+ it.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 53
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:56:45 AM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Castor Troy

quote:

quote:

I meant it was unrealistic to her character more than anything  (although it is meant to be an observed comedy). Why wouldn't she want to kiss Orlando Bloom? It's quite a funny joke, but it seemed a bit wierd to me. But let's not dwell because it was only a passing thought.

Yeah I know.... don't take any notice of me anyway... afterall I like The Green Green Grass....!

Post #: 54
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 11:57:59 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Does the show get repeated at all? It was my birthday so I was out getting drunk and forgot to Sky+ it.

Sunday 11.25pm - don't forget!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 55
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 12:52:53 PM   
audreyII

Slightly disappointed with this, not up to the Patrick Stewart standard, but that was later in Series 1 so maybe it'll get there.
I thought the Orlando Bloom stuff was the best, millions of girls do fancy him, but there are girls like Maggie (and myself) who don't rate him at all. (puny runt that he is )
I hope Gervais knows what he's got himself into here, the whole catchphrase bit was funny and the funniest was seeing him say it in the wig & specs. I think he's going to be hearing that a lot more than he'd like.
Keith Chegwin, meh, I didn't find it offensive but I didn't find it funny either.

Insanity runs in my family... it practically gallops

Post #: 56
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 1:06:00 PM   
Marky_Mark

Laughed A LOT at this last night....much more laugh out loud moments than the last series: Cheggers taking direction from Andy, Barry stealing the food, catch phrases on the t-shirts, Cheggers' rant about minges....

The Lenny Henry moment clinched it though - so mean, but very funny.

IMO could have done without Orlando....I'm not Bloom's biggest fan at the best of times but above all Cheggers carried the  'featured celebrity' angle pretty well I thought.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 57
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 1:17:50 PM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

It's now been uploaded onto the BBC website:~

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=extras

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 58
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 3:12:43 PM   
DJ Rob C: Mark II!

Extremly funny stuff, bring on Bowie!

When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die

Third Highest Post Count on the Forum, sad but proud!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 59
RE: Extras - Second series - 15/9/2006 3:37:02 PM   
kingoftheducks

Very good start to the series, Bloom was fine, I think I was laughing 'at' him more than 'with' though, and sometimes I get the feeling that Gervais and Merchant are really seeing what they can get away with... 'Can we actually get him to say this!?'

Generally really good, not as well-observed perhaps as some of the finer episodes in the last series, driven by more angst than most sitcoms, the t-shirt slogan bits had me laughing that appreciative laugh of someone who (like Dan Ashcroft in Nathan Barley) thinks the world is getting dumbed-down (see; Mike Judge's Idiocracy).  And the actual sitcom within the show was so incredibly well-observed and similar to most of the Beeb's mainstream output that I'm amazed they showed it, will they learn anything from this?  No, and people will continue to watch My Hero.

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!

(in reply to DJ Rob C: Mark II!)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Extras - Second series Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI