Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Return of Jedi

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Return of Jedi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Return of Jedi - 22/7/2008 4:01:44 AM   
lynnshep

One of my earliest movie going memories is seeing this on the big screen. Not as good as the others. Ewoks are cute when you're 6 but don't age well. Still good though.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Return of Jedi - 22/7/2008 4:01:44 AM   
lynnshep

One of my earliest movie going memories is seeing this on the big screen. Not as good as the others. Ewoks are cute when you're 6 but don't age well. Still good though.

Post #: 32
- 5/8/2008 1:26:08 AM   
SkullKassidy

Never understood why this film was considered the worst of the Trilogy ...I know it's not as dark as Empire and there is alittle less focus on individual characters ...Empire had the benefit of being able to put aside the whole Empire/Rebel conflict to focus on the leads ...but, this is the last part and there is a whole intergalatic war to wrap up as well Jedi destiny and a love story. Like I said not as dark Empire, but invokes the fun and excitement of the first movie. The best special effects of the original Trilogy as well the best selection of alien supporting characters. And NO, I have no problem with the Ewoks! And an emotionally stirring ending ...show me one modern action movie that does it as well as this one!

I hope that Empire reviewer Christopher Hemblade means it's only the speeder chase that benefits from the 1997 overhaul ...because a)the adding of that awful song performed by the band in Jabba's palace is like something from Men In Black and doesn't fit in the film at all and b) the removal of the Ewok song at the end for sodding pan-pipe music is unforgivable, it doesn't feel like victory without the Ewok song! :(

Post #: 33
- 10/10/2008 8:16:13 AM   
gervox

I was fourteen years old when I first saw this movie.
Young enough to still recognise that it was still magical,but too old for the short arsed bears
I tended to ignore them anyway, for the deeper mythological "truths"Is Vader really Lukes Father?,If so, how or why!.
Well they answered some of the question,although not to everyones satisfaction-Impossible really.
What stands out today is the real hands on craft that went into this type of film pre CGIi.
For example the "Muppet" scenes in Jabba the Huts Palace.Jabba looked fine to me then,if not a little in need of a dietition, We saw him again later in 1997 and he looked far more svelt than he was.
Perhaps he only discovered a taste for those those fat frog things inbetween A New Hope and Jedi,but I feel that is a poor excuse which only goes to prove that George became sillier and less caring of the cool world he created once he made his first 100 million.
It is obvious to me now that George directed this movie.Dear old Richard Marquand was most probably no more involved than that ugly Pig Guard that Luke choked on his enterance to the Palace.
Also the acting and dialog is surely a pointer of the true director of this film.Several Important,pivital scences here that were tossed away without pathos or meaning.Truly a precurser of the prequels.
The worst of the original trilogy yes,but redeemed by the hard work put in by the crew,if not the cast.

Post #: 34
- 10/10/2008 8:16:24 AM   
gervox

I was fourteen years old when I first saw this movie.
Young enough to still recognise that it was still magical,but too old for the short arsed bears
I tended to ignore them anyway, for the deeper mythological "truths"Is Vader really Lukes Father?,If so, how or why!.
Well they answered some of the question,although not to everyones satisfaction-Impossible really.
What stands out today is the real hands on craft that went into this type of film pre CGIi.
For example the "Muppet" scenes in Jabba the Huts Palace.Jabba looked fine to me then,if not a little in need of a dietition, We saw him again later in 1997 and he looked far more svelt than he was.
Perhaps he only discovered a taste for those those fat frog things inbetween A New Hope and Jedi,but I feel that is a poor excuse which only goes to prove that George became sillier and less caring of the cool world he created once he made his first 100 million.
It is obvious to me now that George directed this movie.Dear old Richard Marquand was most probably no more involved than that ugly Pig Guard that Luke choked on his enterance to the Palace.
Also the acting and dialog is surely a pointer of the true director of this film.Several Important,pivital scences here that were tossed away without pathos or meaning.Truly a precurser of the prequels.
The worst of the original trilogy yes,but redeemed by the hard work put in by the crew,if not the cast.

Post #: 35
Good Movie - 14/3/2009 1:13:42 PM   
caps_fan2490

This is my second favorite star wars movie and the ending scene is incredible. I think it is amazing and should be counted as one of the greatest movies ever.

Post #: 36
- 5/10/2009 9:08:38 AM   
TheNapalmKid

Although it has lost all the brilliance of its predecessors, ROTJ is still a thrilling conclusion to one of cinema's most revered sagas

Post #: 37
- 5/10/2009 9:08:43 AM   
TheNapalmKid

Although it has lost all the brilliance of its predecessors, ROTJ is still a thrilling conclusion to one of cinema's most revered sagas

Post #: 38
- 5/5/2010 2:16:39 PM   
elimonator

It lost it's energy a little huh !

Post #: 39
- 26/7/2010 11:13:13 PM   
stevolegendbauer

The final film in one of the biggest movie series in the history of cinema is a satisfyingly brilliant and epic ending.
The first sequence on Tatooine is superb, with standout scenes being Lukes Rancor fight and the demise of Jabba and Boba Fett.
The speeder chase is also fantastic but the Ewoks are givin far too much screentime, but who cares when theres a tri-branched finale. With aa lightsaber duel, space battle and land assault all happening simaltaneously. This is mirrored but not equalled in The Phantom Menace. The space battle is most impressive, by far the best of all 6 films, even bettering the Revenge of the Sith opening. Vader gets a moment of redemption and Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin look on as the the galazy celebrates the destruction of the empire. Very few trilogy endings manage to do as good a job as this one. Magnificent!

Post #: 40
Underestimated! - 19/8/2010 11:11:29 PM   
Nick H

The original Star Wars films will always be absolute classics. ROTJ seemed to catch a lot of flack, but I think it was a perfect climax. The prequels whilst visually stunning are marred by poor acting/script, total miscasting and a general amateurishness in terms of character interaction. Ewan McGreggor was just wrong, Hayden Christensen was such a poor acter and Lucas never created any kind of empathy for Anakin. Throughout the prequels I never felt he was a good person - just an impatient petulent brat - and as such the transformation into Darth Vader never had the emotional power it should have. Even Ian McDiarmid hammed it up as Palpatine in Episode III. For all its alleged faults ROTJ had, I cared about the charaters and whilst yes now as a mid 30s man I'm not as fond of the Ewoks as I was in 1983, damn the final space battle and confrontation between Darth, Luke and Palpatine is gripping emotional and satisfying. Combined with John Williams fantatic score (which he never got close to on any of the prequels), ROTJ whilst the worst of the original trilogy is still 100 times better than anything that came after it in the Star Wars universe. The original trilogy drew me into the Star Wars world and despite being visually more expansive the prequels never really allowed me to unleash my imagination. Less was ultimately more?

Post #: 41
The weakest... - 25/2/2011 1:07:45 PM   
neopol

This is often thought of as the weakest of the original trilogy, and whilst I would agree with that, that’s not to say that it is bad. The phenomenon which had begun with“Star Wars”, six years earlier was about to conclude, or so we thought, with Jedi.
The first film had pioneered the technology and concepts of which to present and achieve such a franchise in the 1970′s and ’80′s, and “The Empire Strikes Back” is still the benchmark for part twos, but where this film falls down is that it has sacrificed narrative quality for Lucas’ realisation that he could finally do what he wanted, without any hindrance from studios or production limitations.
He had the best of best in visual effects with his Industrial Light and Magic, and he had a vision which had remained unrealised in the previous two films, such as the so called failed Cantina scene in “Star Wars”, which is presented here, only this time in the walls of Jabba’s palace.
The first half I believe, is George Lucas’ real film. Monsters and Muppets, pure fantasy as our heroes wrap up the events of the previous film, and make their daring escape from Jabba the Hutt. The second part is almost a separate film, focusing quite rightly on the Empire and the destruction of the second Death Star. But this plot is very matter of fact, and has no real charm or heart, just epic visuals and a theatrical sense.
Meanwhile, Han Solo and Princess Leia are leading a rebel assault on the forest moon of Endor, populated by the most annoying Muppets of all… the dreaded Ewoks! The Ewoks must be one of cinema’s greatest misjudgments, the first real misstep in Lucas’ handling of the “Star Wars Saga”; but with the prequels and the constant tinkering with the originals, this was to be the thin end of the wedge.
Don’t get me wrong, there are plot elements revolving around the Muppets which I liked, such as the nature vs. technology metaphor, but that doesn’t excuse the Ewoks and nothing ever will! But elements such as the Speedbike chase and the final battle, all of it, the final Vader/Luke dual, the assault of the Death Star itself, and even the ludicrous Ewok assault, are excellent, visually stunning and exiting and it is enough to save this film from being bogged down by the bad.
And like I said, the money grabbing, almost narratively illiterate George Lucas has damaged and defamed his franchise with his constant tinkering, firstly with the Special Edition in 1997, and then with his Enhanced Special Edition in 2004 for the DVD release.
Lucas is a visionary and has done so much for the film industry and we should be grateful but in the end, he needs to stop milking this franchise, stop pretending that it is never finished, when he has finished it THREE times now and realise that the best of the original trilogy was directed and written by other people, all of which display more talent. Lucas is not a good director but he is a good producer and he has brought this franchise to the screen and the movie industry is better for it. But the Special Editions bring nothing important to the mix, with the exception of the finale, which does carry more scope that 1983 original. Overall, the weakest of the “Star Wars Trilogy” is a fair assessment and at its worst, it’s still leagues above any entry in the prequels, even the Episode III, which is the closest to this high standards of this series.

< Message edited by neopol -- 25/2/2011 1:10:38 PM >

Visit my movie blog, nEoFILM @ http://neofilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 42
Episode 6 - 15/1/2012 7:04:35 AM   
antosh25

Good film, But it ran out of juice near the end.

Post #: 43
Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi Review - 26/1/2012 5:10:08 PM   
the film man

Though failing to reach the cinematic heights of its predecessors, Return of the Jedi remains an entertaining sci-fi adventure and a fitting end to the classic trilogy.

Post #: 44
Grammar Wars - 31/8/2012 12:46:33 PM   
betamigos

Not to be pedantic but there are a lot of grammatical errors in this review which make it difficult to understand in places. Just saying. Love ROTJ though, 4th best Star Wars film at the moment maybe (ROTS occasionally jumps into third place for me).

Post #: 45
RE: Star Wars Episode VI: Return Of The Jedi Review - 6/2/2013 11:47:21 PM   
Mr Gittes

Hear hear. Could not have said it better myself. Certainly disappointing after The Empire Strikes Back but it could've been the celluloid equivalent of fried gold and it would still be a letdown after a movie that monumental.

My main problems with the movie are as follows: I am not a fan of the ewoks and they are given way too much screen time; Han Solo just isn't Han Solo in this movie; Carrie Fisher isn't quite as feisty as she is in the others; I don't like how at the beginning Vader seems a lot less evil than the last time we saw him ("Heee will come to meeee?"...ugh); I think at least one of the main characters should have been killed; and, oh, look, another Death Star!

But there is greatness in there too: Mark Hamill does great work as Luke; the action is fantastic, some of the best in the entire trilogy; Jabba the Hut lives up to his legend; Ian McDiarmid's Emperor is simply superb and is a convincing force over Vader (very high praise for a villain); James Earl Jones does amazing voice work once again; despite the poor set-up in the first act, Vader's conflict later in the movie is perfectly done; and, incredibly, the triple-stranded third act is expertly balanced. Oh, and it's cool to see more of Lando too.

As you can see, my pluses outweigh the minuses for this movie, and for the phenomenal throne room sequence alone I'm going to give this four stars instead of three or three and a half.

Overall, it's far from perfect but nevertheless it is a fitting conclusion to one of the best trilogies of all time.

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 46
RE: RETURN OF THE WTF??? WAS GEORGE LUCAS ON? - 7/2/2013 8:55:32 AM   
Dannybohy

This was a great a movie until Lucas turned Jabbas palace into Fraggle Rock during his digital enhancement breakdown!! such a beardy wanker

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Horrorguru)
Post #: 47
RE: RETURN OF THE WTF??? WAS GEORGE LUCAS ON? - 7/2/2013 11:19:43 AM   
CRUNT

Probably my favourite of the original trilogy, love the three way action at the End, space battle, lightsaber battle and battle on Endor

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 48
RE: RETURN OF THE WTF??? WAS GEORGE LUCAS ON? - 7/2/2013 12:51:36 PM   
Mr Gittes

Yeah, this was definitely the movie that suffered the most from the special editions. The "NOOOOOO!!!" scene is simply unforgivable.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 49
"nugcha" ...or something like that. - 8/10/2013 7:13:20 AM   
Jericho117

It may not be as rich as the first two or have any of their spiritual depth, but it is certainly still a real joy to watch again and again. Overall despite being a disappointment is still worthy of the name Star Wars.

Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Return of Jedi Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI