Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NFL

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 10:25:19 AM   
svgbdgr

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Best Superbowl food?

I'm thinking nachos and pizza (it's those damn Papa John adverts on the NFL website ), with coke and chocolate milkshake to wash it all down. 

Also going to record both the Sky and the BBC coverage.  Usually I stick with Sky because the BBC generally have that guy Jake Humpries presenting and he knows nothing about football, although the Beeb do have good guests (if memory serves they had Tiki Barber in 07 and Carlson gets called up for the Superbowl).  Btw, does anyone know what happened to Nick Halling?  Seems like Sky just want to forget about him for some reason...

He decided to become Sky's main boxing pundit instead. No big loss, much prefer Neil Reynolds, at least he doesn't bang on about the fecking Steelers all the time!

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 781
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 11:56:16 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

You guys are officially Pats killers and you have to hand it to Manning he's already one of the true greats as far as I'm concerned. I mean the play in the last Superbowl was insane, this time round to hit that perfect pass to Manningham was another moment genius as was the brilliant catch and staying inbounds.

Everyone was taking about how Manning kicks arse in the fourth quarter and he quite simply did it again before our eyes in the Superbowl - cool as a liquid nitrogen dipped cucumber!!!

After Brady's 96 yard drive I thought the Giants were up shit creek because the Pats just breezed downfield against a defence that was completely fresh. However the pass rush actually got better as the game wore on suprisingly.

I really think one of the keys to this Superbowl win was the injury to Gronkowski - the Bradshaw pick happened because the Pats tight end couldn't lift off and even the hail mary pass at the end, Gronk was a yard away - did the ankle slow him up there?

Either way a nice fat fucking blow for the NFC and NFC East

In terms of the coverage Sky were way better but the ads forced you to constantly pop over to that horrendously shite looking BBC set- the british dude was a plank and the only positive was the pro-footballer who was a good pundit.

The Colts stadium was strange by the way - looked like a bus shelter or something.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 6/2/2012 11:59:39 AM >

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 782
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 1:38:35 PM   
Captain Black

What a fucking game.

Arse first into the endzone for the win. 

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 783
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 5:43:04 PM   
gazpop

Fuckin A y'all!! My team take the trophy after a way too long wait. Although, the standard of the football over the past decade from such a wide range of teams has been immense. Just another reason why I don't watch buggerby anymore. I only saw the highlights (not my fault, this is Greece!....not Sparta) but am smiling all over today.

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 784
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 6:19:07 PM   
boaby

4 years? Too long a wait? Spoilt git.

I thought it was a pretty messy game. Loads of mistakes. Loads.

Fumbles, drops, 12 men on the field... twice! In the Superbowl? Deary me.

Compared to the Manning/Brees duel and the swings and roundabouts of last year, Warner's swansong and NY/NE first time round... well, similar drama but less quality of play over the piece.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 785
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 6:32:42 PM   
gazpop

Good points mate. I only saw the highlights. Looks like they fumbled more than we did. And I bet both us and the Pats have pretty non-fumble % going into this game? Manning looked ice-cool and it was pretty heart-in-mouth with the last hail mary of the game. Would have been a piss-take though had they won it on the last throw. And yes, I was a little impatient wasn't I?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 786
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 6:42:20 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

A Superbowl winning Hail Mary pass would be fantastic drama though

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 787
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 8:26:29 PM   
SWOTBM

I think I've calmed down a bit after last night    I had to get up at like 7:30 to go to college and spent most of day in a sort of sleepwalking auto-pilot daze, but it was totally worth it. 

In the cold light of day I think that it was more a case of the Pats losing it than us winning it.  Brady had another shocker, his receivers let him down in the clutch (Welker, Hernandez, Branch etc.) and some of penalties really hurt the Pats (the 12 men on the field for the fumble was schoolboy and costly).   Our pass rush didn't for the most part get to Brady, I know we hurried him but this an ''elite'' QB with comparisons being made to Joe Montana, if he is that good then he needs to execute on the biggest stage.  Feel sorry for the Pats defense, especially Wilfork (only Pats player I like) as they did play quite well for a team that was ranked dead last in the NFL in defense. 

Then there is Eli.  It comes down to substance over style with Eli.  His body language doesn't seem to all that great and I for one wouldn't be particularly motivated by one of his pep talks.  But actions speak louder than words and he surely has got to be one of top clutch QBs currently playing- I mean who would you want as your QB if you needed to score on your last drive to win?  Brady?  Brees?  Rodgers?  Eli?  He is now firmly in that category imo. 

Really happy for Coughlin too, coaching your team to all those road wins takes some doing.  I know a lot gets mentioned about his change in coaching style and the guy deserves a huge amount of credit for fundamentally changing his methods for the team.

Good to see Belicheat being his usual humble self  

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 788
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 9:16:09 PM   
Captain Black

Dunno if anyone else watched the BBC coverage all the way through, but at one point Mark Chapman (who did OK I thought, and at least seemed like a genuine fan) said something like "We don't tend to define players as great while they're still playing" (right after referring to Lionel Messi), and I'm like "That's all you guys in the media do!" Just look at the 'articles' on NFL.com during the week about Brady and his legacy. 

Despite my team's early ineptitude, one of my favourite NFL seasons.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 789
RE: NFL - 7/2/2012 4:07:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Dunno if anyone else watched the BBC coverage all the way through, but at one point Mark Chapman (who did OK I thought, and at least seemed like a genuine fan) said something like "We don't tend to define players as great while they're still playing" (right after referring to Lionel Messi), and I'm like "That's all you guys in the media do!" Just look at the 'articles' on NFL.com during the week about Brady and his legacy. 

I saw that - it was immediately apparent they were spouting total shite. It's patently obvious that Tom Brady for example is going to the Hall of Fame and there's sportsmen and women in every discipline who have shown themselves to be all-time greats before the end of their careers. It was a ridiculous conversation

Post #: 790
RE: NFL - 7/2/2012 4:54:18 PM   
boaby

to be fair to the media clowns, there's a difference between "great" and "all-time great".

Example: Mike Tyson has knocked the bejeesus out of the latest cowering wreck to face him and has unified the seedily dismembered heavyweight championship. All-time greatness lies ahead... trainwreck. Definitely a great heavyweight, but given the sordid, grotesque and undignified shambles his career became it's fair to say he aint an all-time great.

Example: Brett Favre is leading the Vikings down the field into fieldgoal range in the championship game in a season probably his last. He runs the ball out of bounds, Longwell makes the kick and Favre does a Warner. With their pass rush and a beast runner to keep Manning the elder off the field there's a fair chance the Vikes win their first Superbowl, led there by "all-time great" Favre who rides his tractor into the sunset afterwards - eschewing the inevitable Corvette. Instead the "great" Favre throws yet another bone-head interception. He comes back for another year and fades out... forever frustrated at not getting that 2nd ring and probably cursing privately to himself for his missed opportunities.

True, there are some for whom "all-time greatness" is a given, or as near as damn it. Only future drug-abuse can deny Usain Bolt that, for example. Messi could do with a World Cup. Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are there already.

There are, for all but the most exquisitly talented and charismatic, always opportunities to phuck things up.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 791
RE: NFL - 7/3/2012 3:28:38 PM   
SWOTBM

So, pretty much a foregone conclusion that Manning will not be back with the Colts next season.  I can see the logic, he is 35 (fully fit as well?) and they have the number 1 draft pick (so Luck or RG3).  I think it might be best for him to just retire and I doubt many teams would want to take risk for what would be about 4-5 seasons.  The first two seasons would probably be write-offs anyway as the team tries to gel together and get used to Manning's system (definitely don't think it will be a case of Manning adapting to whichever team he goes to ).  Then there is still the question mark over his recovery, I think it would be a gamble, struggling to think of teams that would go for him (Dallas maybe?  Although that would mean he would have to play the superior brother twice a year ).

Also, thoughts on the Greg Williams (aka former Saints DC and now [for the moment ] Rams DC) illegal bounty system?  I find it hard to believe that with the amount these guys get paid they are motivated by such a nominal sum of money.  I don't approve of the system for sure, but it's not as bad as people are making it out to be imo. 

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 792
RE: NFL - 7/3/2012 5:58:11 PM   
Captain Black

I dunno if I'm just more invested this year, but this off season is just mental. Peyton Manning as a free agent, this thing with the Saints' bounty for knocking players out, and now there are murmurs about Drew Brees not being happy about being franchise tagged.

With Manning (there's been a press conference today, but I've not watched it) I've said before, but first of all I hope he does what's best for his health. But a league with a healthy Peyton Manning is a better place. But with Miami as one of the big contenders, I can't look at this objectively - I've just got to hope that whatever pans out is best for the franchise. And although he's far from a sure thing, I think I'd go for Flynn and I think Philbin will want him too. Maybe Arizona? Manning to Fitzgerald sounds pretty fearsome.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 793
RE: NFL - 7/3/2012 8:18:03 PM   
SWOTBM

Yeah I heard those rumours about Brees too.  Baffling that the Saints didn't sort out a long-term deal and have let it linger on for so long.  Thing about Manning possibly moving to Arizona is that they have just invested heavily in Kevin Kolb so I would imagine them having a hard time trying to fit Kolb and Manning in salarycap-wise.  Plus that would effectively put Kolb on the bench, something I thought he wanted to get off of when he left Philly.  The only teams that I could see Manning going to are:
Jets- probably the best fit imo.  Sanchez, I don't think, is cut out to be a NFL QB- plus they have most of the pieces (strong D, some nice group of receivers, good O-line) already in place.  Only problem is he would have to share a stadium with Eli.....
Dallas- who knows what Jerry will do
San Fran (even this is a push because of the way Harbaugh has thrown his lot in with Alex Smith, if he throws him under the bus then it would completely go against the ethos the coach has been trying to build)

With the greatest respect to teams like Washington, Seattle and Miami (sorry Captain ), but these teams are not in a position to win a Championship any time soon and I don't think Manning, at 35, wants to move to a team in transition. 

Post #: 794
RE: NFL - 7/3/2012 9:51:30 PM   
Captain Black

How very dare you! 

I don't think we suck - I don't know about strength of schedule, but we finished 6-3 and the defence was pretty good last time I looked at the stats. I think if you add Manning to that it makes Miami a strong playoff contender, but I don't like the longevity.

Apparently the 49ers won't bid for him, which is loyal move from Harbaugh to stick with Smith. They're really Manning's best choice. Add him to that team, plus a decent receiver, and they're amongst the favourites for the SB (I assume they'll keep most of that defence).

I just think the Jets are too volatile in terms of their personalities for Manning to fit in there.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 795
RE: NFL - 7/3/2012 9:54:52 PM   
boaby

Vikings?

Shady QB situation - check
Run game - check.
Pass rush - check
Decent receivers - check
Draft picks - check
Record of signing Vet QBs - check

Dome!

Imagine that NFC North.

Post #: 796
RE: NFL - 16/3/2012 6:12:01 PM   
Captain Black

It seems to be between the Broncos and Titans for Manning's signature at this stage. Fantastic example of 'very few actual facts' presented in the stuff I've read on-line about this whole process.

The Dolphins have traded Brandon Marshall to the Bears.

Randy Moss has signed with the 49ers.

Mario Williams has joined the Bills.

The Redskins traded a bunch of picks to the Rams, so it's almost inevitable they'll get RGIII in the draft (unless the Colts pick him instead of Luck I guess).

Invisiotext:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 797
RE: NFL - 16/3/2012 7:28:06 PM   
SWOTBM

Yeah, I love how all the writers try and pad out their one-line ''inside information'' into articles    Surprised that Mario Williams went to the Bills, will definitely make them more competitive and attractive for other talent to go there as well. 

Seems like a Skins have gone all in with RG3- just hope he's not another Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf   He is a little on the short side as well, but I guess Brees shows you don't need to be that tall to be successful at QB. 

I'm surprised the Broncos are going after Manning- can't do a lot of good to Tebow's confidence.  Unless they secretly want Tebow to leave by bringing in Manning

Miami need to act quickly otherwise they could be without a decent QB again- ''rumours'' (for what they are worth) suggest Flynn may be leaning more toward Seattle, which leaves pretty much nobody left except going through the draft again. 

Just had a quick look on how my Giants are doing, fairly quiet thus far; Brandon Jacobs has been released, we franchise tagged a punter (Weatherford- don't get me wrong he played good, but franchise tag? ), quite a few names I'm not too familiar with have been brought in to strengthen the secondary and TE position as well.  Be interesting to see how we draft this year, hope we can remain competitive for the coming season (it's too long a wait )

Post #: 798
RE: NFL - 16/3/2012 10:34:57 PM   
Captain Black

Weatherford's not been franchise tagged, he's been signed for 5 years. I s'pose punter's a position which is easily overlooked, but a good one is worth a lot in tight games.

The 49ers are now in the mix to sign Manning - he worked out for Harbaugh and their offensive co-ordinator Greg Roman.

I listened to Griffin (that's what I'm sticking to, dammit!) on the Rich Eisen podcast; he sounds a really smart, respectful guy. He may not quite live up to the hype, but I very much doubt he'll do a Ryan Leaf.

I think we have a *decent* QB already: Matt Moore was 12th in passer rating, ahead of Cutler and Vick, and not that far off Rivers and Roethlisberger. But decent isn't really good enough unless the rest of your team is a powerhouse. Particularly now the AFC East is looking that bit tougher.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 799
RE: NFL - 17/3/2012 12:27:06 AM   
boaby

There was a rumour that the Mannings didn't want to play in the same conference. Might help to explain 2 Rings denial of San Diego.

If 1 Ring signs for the 'niners then that theory's phucked. Given the coach's near umbilical attachment to Smith it's a bit weird. They'd be bugger to get past next season.

Post #: 800
RE: NFL - 18/3/2012 10:23:27 PM   
Captain Black

Flynn's signed for the Seahawks - 3 years, $26M. If the Dolphins were offering less, I honestly don't blame them, but it still hurts a little.

On the other side of the Peyton Manning possibly going to the 49ers story - Alex Smith, who as I understand it has been offered a contract but hasn't signed and is a free agent, has met with the Dolphins.

Did I mention how well Matt Moore played last year? Yup, clinging to that.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 801
RE: NFL - 19/3/2012 6:42:48 PM   
SWOTBM

Manning to Denver:

http://www.nfl.com/

Perhaps Tebow to Miami?  With Alex Smith re-signing with the 49ers?  I would lol if Smith turns around and says FU to them for going after Manning and signs with the Dolphins  

Tbh I can't see the Denver move working out.  Unless it is more of a mentoring type role for Tebow, but even then it seems like Tebow wants to start given that he had the opportunity and took it last season. 

Interesting to see Flynn going to the Seahawks, guess it's a case of the rumours finally being right for once   Definitely a team in transition but it could work out for them if they draft well. 

Matt Moore huh?  Straws are being clutched   Joking aside he isn't a bad QB but like you kinda alluded to, for your team to do well at the highest level you really need an elite QB.  I actually had a look at past Superbowl winners and the last team that won with what I would classify as an average QB was the Tampa Bay Buccs back in 2003.  Every team since has been either Manning/Brees/Brady/Roethlisberger/Rodgers etc.

Post #: 802
RE: NFL - 19/3/2012 7:13:50 PM   
Captain Black

Well, certainly didn't see that one coming. The 49ers seemed the best fit by far in terms of personnel (they also added Mario Manningham, and we all know how much potential a Manning to Manningham pass play has). I guess they'll give him carte blanche to run the offence the way he wants to, and there's still time to add a few more players in FA.

Smith'd be a fool to not resign with the 49ers, no matter how badly he's taken it at a personal level. And I'm not convinced he'd be a big upgrade over Moore for the Dolphins. I'll go on a rampage if Tebow signs for the Dolphins, even if I do really like the guy. Just playing for someone else.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 803
RE: NFL - 20/3/2012 3:44:55 AM   
boaby

And so the Mannings remain in separate divisions.

Packers Defensive Lineman gets busted for performance enhancing drugs. Aside from my disgust at a cheating gimp having played for us I have to seriously question the effectiveness of the drugs. Our D Line was a shambles .

Post #: 804
RE: NFL - 21/3/2012 1:03:35 PM   
CORLEONE

Looking forward to getting RG3 in the draft. Could the Redskins finally have a quarterback!? Not expecting anything major. To finish with more wins than losses would be a great achievement. I can't believe how excited I am about the new season, particularly when it starts in SEPTEMBER!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 805
RE: NFL - 21/3/2012 5:35:51 PM   
SWOTBM

Holy crap- Goodell brought down the hammer

quote:

The NFL announced Wednesday that New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton will be suspended for one season without pay for his involvement in the team's bounty program. Saints general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for eight games. Former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely. The team has also been fined $500,000 and will have to give up its second-round picks in the 2012 and 2013 NFL Drafts.

Also, Tebow to the Jets?!  WTF   I have no idea what the Jets are doing, extending Sanchez's contract and then signing Tebow?  You just know everyone will be chanting Tebow as soon as Sanchez loses...

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

Looking forward to getting RG3 in the draft. Could the Redskins finally have a quarterback!? Not expecting anything major. To finish with more wins than losses would be a great achievement. I can't believe how excited I am about the new season, particularly when it starts in SEPTEMBER!

Part of me thinks the Skins will do well with RG3, but the other part of me hopes they don't- NFC East is already quite competitive and you guys have a knack of beating us already (hell Rex fucking Grossman beat us twice last year )

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 806
RE: NFL - 21/3/2012 5:45:17 PM   
boaby

'kinell.

What are the Saints gonna do now? Do they sack the suspended and change regime?

Sanchez must be bricking it.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 807
RE: NFL - 21/3/2012 6:16:55 PM   
Captain Black

Tebow traded already? We missed out on all the speculation! He'd have been fun to watch on the Patriots, who knows how Belichick would have utilised him there?

Have we got any Saints fans on this board? Wonder how this will affect Drew Brees and his contract situation. And yes, by that I do mean I hope there's some utterly crazy situation where he wants to distance himself from them and ends of signing for the Dolphins.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 808
RE: NFL - 18/4/2012 5:49:05 PM   
Captain Black

Schedule's out:
http://www.nfl.com/schedules?icampaign=Schedule_release_HP_CP

The Dolphins' is pretty favourable (or at least, as much as anyone can tell right now). Tough games (or as I like to think of them, a guaranteed defeat) are away and the more competitive games at home. Some decent match ups for the Sunday night games just flicking through; and those are the ones I'll get to see.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 809
RE: NFL - 18/4/2012 6:33:56 PM   
boaby

Packers' schedule is all to pot in the first few weeks.

Thursday wk 2 vs Bears after the 'niners visit on opening Sunday. Short week. Don't play til Monday of wk 3 @ Seattle before having the Saints to visit in Wk 4. Tough start. Then a 3 game road trip.

Those pesky Giants on Thanksgiving weekend.

At least we get our bye in Wk 10 giving us a rest before the Lions get their annual attempt to break Rodgers in their dome.

Beast of a home stretch: @ Lions, @ Giants, Vikes, Lions, @ Bears, Titans, @ Vikes.

This Thursday night football is gonna mean another 3 hrs out of my week. I've stuff to do dammit. I canna be watching football 3 days out of the week.

Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI