Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NFL

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL - 28/1/2012 5:28:14 PM   
Captain Black

I've seen a few America's Games. On some of the newer ones (which I'm guessing are rushed out post Super Bowl to complete the set, unlike the ones covering the older games where more care and time has been spent on them) you can play the game of "How little can the narrator be arsed?" James Gandolfini is particularly guilty on the Giants 2007 one.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 751
RE: NFL - 29/1/2012 3:55:26 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Don't know how long they'll be up for, but this guy has the full America's Game on his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/YooTubeMee#p/u

Just watched the '86 Giants, awesome viewing.  Bit of an incredible time sink though, but it's an ''educational'' documentary so I am excused

Fucking nice work there SWOTBM!!! I just caught up with the Cowboys Superbowl wins brought back some great memories

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 752
RE: NFL - 29/1/2012 4:00:20 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Don't know how long they'll be up for, but this guy has the full America's Game on his channel:

Just watched the '86 Giants, awesome viewing.  Bit of an incredible time sink though, but it's an ''educational'' documentary so I am excused

Fucking nice work there SWOTBM!!! I just caught up with the Cowboys Superbowl wins brought back some great memories

I've watched several of them before on Sky, but I've watched three of them so far at work today '85 Bears, '92 Cowboys and the '72 Dolphins (naturally). They really are well done, and what always strikes me is how articulate and intelligent the people they have discussing it always seem to be. I can only imagine what it would be like if they attempted something like it for the Premier League. A bunch of earringed dickheads barely able to string a sentence together most likely.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 753
RE: NFL - 29/1/2012 7:32:16 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

I've watched several of them before on Sky, but I've watched three of them so far at work today '85 Bears, '92 Cowboys and the '72 Dolphins (naturally). They really are well done, and what always strikes me is how articulate and intelligent the people they have discussing it always seem to be. I can only imagine what it would be like if they attempted something like it for the Premier League. A bunch of earringed dickheads barely able to string a sentence together most likely.

Just watched the '85 Bears and the '07 Giants.  The freedom/character that the players (e.g. McMahon, Ditka, Payton, Perry) had back in the '80s was incredible, like chalk and cheese comparing then and now.  It was very interesting watching the Bears play, but again I still can't get a feel for just how good they were by watching highlights.  Is there a place that has uncut game footage?

The '07 Giants documentary was poorly done.  Gandolfini was a terrible narrator- although Eli and Strahan were pretty damn awesome.  Plus I was disappointed that they cut out the last Patriot drive on the highlight reel- Brady got absolutely smashed on that last drive

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 754
RE: NFL - 29/1/2012 7:44:22 PM   
Captain Black

Don't know about unedited footage, but you can watch the Bears get shredded by Dan Marino and the Dolphins here. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m0SzNtY9WI

Would have been a far better Super Bowl matchup.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 755
RE: NFL - 30/1/2012 8:33:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The Bears had a lethal defence, they were the first great team I can remember. I still have the bad memory of coming to school to be informed by my Bears supporting mate that they had done us 44-0

They were kind of unique with the characters they had though, Jim McMahon was great value for money - he said the reason he wore shades all the time was because he stabbed himself in the eye with a fork as a kid and was a bit light sensitive.

Watching some of these America's Games I wish I had seen that Manning play against the Patriots live - the one when he was all but sacked, got away and unloaded downfield and the receiver trapped the ball against his helmet. Truly amazing like something out of a film.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 756
RE: NFL - 30/1/2012 9:52:15 PM   
Captain Black

That was amazing. Wasn't it on 3rd down as well? I won't even dare to guess how this game is going to play out. Get the impression the Giants are a little overconfident, what with memories of 4 years ago. The Patriots seem fairly composed (even Belicheck's been joking - Bill Belicheck!) and I have this sense that they've got something up their sleeve.

Trivia fact about Jim McMahon: He was Brett Favre's backup when the Packers won the Super Bowl, and because he didn't get to go the White House with Da Bears (because of the Challenger space shuttle disaster - so Wikipedia informs me), he wore his Bears jersey.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 757
RE: NFL - 30/1/2012 10:10:00 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

Watching some of these America's Games I wish I had seen that Manning play against the Patriots live - the one when he was all but sacked, got away and unloaded downfield and the receiver trapped the ball against his helmet. Truly amazing like something out of a film.

Holy crap I remember that game like it was yesterday.  It's one of those sporting events that really stick with you.  That play in particular was the definition of clutch.  I remember one the regular season games this year and Aikman was talking about how Mike Carey, the ref for the Superbowl, has the whistle at his lips and was just about to blow the play dead when Eli threw it.  What if.....

But I think the best memory of that game, which wasn't even shown in those highlights, was the hit on Tom Brady on their final drive.  I bet he still feels that hit to this day  

The hit is from 5:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3hW5v0HPM&feature=related

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

That was amazing. Wasn't it on 3rd down as well? I won't even dare to guess how this game is going to play out. Get the impression the Giants are a little overconfident, what with memories of 4 years ago. The Patriots seem fairly composed (even Belicheck's been joking - Bill Belicheck!) and I have this sense that they've got something up their sleeve.

Yeah, I must admit I am quite nervous.  It feels like almost a role reversal of 2007.  I know we didn't go anywhere near 16-0 this, but we seem to the favourites and everyone is hyping us up.  The New England defense played pretty tough in the last game against the Ravens, and if they perform like they did a couple of weeks ago I think they may sneak it.  Overconfidence, as you say, is probably gonna be our downfall.  Although a lot will come down to how healthy Gronkowski is.  Covering Hernandez is doable, but both?  Now that is a challenge. 

Post #: 758
RE: NFL - 30/1/2012 10:11:58 PM   
superdan

quote:

That was cracking. I was watching it in my mates pub - he was past his licence, the place was nearly full with Americans and other football fans and we were all royally pissed. The place absolutely erupted when the TD was scored, and my mate was laughing because he had only got into American Football that season and had gone for the Giants as his team, the spawny bastard. I don't think I got to bed until about 7am that morning

Post #: 759
RE: NFL - 30/1/2012 10:21:48 PM   
Captain Black

Aaargh, you've quoted me so I can't undo the damage - it's Belichick. 

The sack was bascially when you knew the Giants had won it. The Hail Mary Brady threw right after was some pass though - even if you felt Moss would have probably caught it had they been up 38-7 against the Jets in week 3 or something, and not in the biggest game of his career

The Patriots are going through the ghosts of their past: the Broncos beat 'em in playoffs one year, the Ravens twice, now they get the Giants in the home stadium of their biggest rival for the past decade.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 760
RE: NFL - 31/1/2012 7:57:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

But I think the best memory of that game, which wasn't even shown in those highlights, was the hit on Tom Brady on their final drive.  I bet he still feels that hit to this day  

The hit is from 5:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3hW5v0HPM&feature=related

Man now I wish even more I'd seen it live - that's a wicked sack

Overconfidence, as you say, is probably gonna be our downfall.  Although a lot will come down to how healthy Gronkowski is.  Covering Hernandez is doable, but both?  Now that is a challenge. 

I doubt if you guys will be overconfident - this is Brady's Pats after all. I was really impressed with the Patriots defence in the last game, everyone seemed to be slating them but they stopped the run and got pressure on the QB.

One problem the Giants have according to what I've read is the amount of injuries you've sustained in your secondary. That said you've got to the Superbowl with those players missing so the replacements must be half decent.

That Gronkowski seems to be a key man for the Pats, he seems like a constant outlet for Brady and definitely a worry.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 761
RE: NFL - 4/2/2012 7:50:27 PM   
SWOTBM

Best Superbowl food?

I'm thinking nachos and pizza (it's those damn Papa John adverts on the NFL website ), with coke and chocolate milkshake to wash it all down. 

Also going to record both the Sky and the BBC coverage.  Usually I stick with Sky because the BBC generally have that guy Jake Humpries presenting and he knows nothing about football, although the Beeb do have good guests (if memory serves they had Tiki Barber in 07 and Carlson gets called up for the Superbowl).  Btw, does anyone know what happened to Nick Halling?  Seems like Sky just want to forget about him for some reason...

Post #: 762
RE: NFL - 5/2/2012 10:58:48 PM   
Captain Black

So, I'm gonna guess the Sky intro is decidedly less shit than the BBC one?

Anyway, here we go....

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 763
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 12:06:45 AM   
SWOTBM

Nice play thus far.  Need to keep the pressure up, the Pats look nervous- making schoolboy mistakes. 

Think Kev can't believe he's finally at the Superbowl   What's the coverage like on the BBC?

Post #: 764
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 12:22:14 AM   
boaby

beeb coverage is basically Mike Carlson doing his Barry Sanders impression - carrying a sh!te team. The Rams receiver Danny Amenenenenendola is rubbish. The beeb monkey isn't Humphries, so that's a bonus.

Jints going about it well. Some proper nonsense from the Pats. Wtf was Brady playing at in his endzone? If I was a Jints fan I'd be worried my Offense has only scored on one of 3 drives against what appears to be an absolutely woeful Pats D.

Eli giving Brady a bit of a lesson thus far.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 765
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 12:35:38 AM   
SWOTBM

Yeah, we need to be more clinical on offense.  Although at least with us running the ball effectively it keeps Brady off the field and eats up some clock.  Pretty much like Superbowl 42 went in the first half.  

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 766
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 12:55:07 AM   
boaby

3 man rush.

Oops.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 767
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 1:08:01 AM   
boaby

Good God. I thought the Black Eyed Peas were gash. This nonsense needs ended.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 768
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 1:12:25 AM   
SWOTBM

^^ Dude, you watch that crap   I go make a cup of tea or something...

Tbh, although it's obviously demoralising going in down at halftime when we've been arguably the better team, I still think that we can win this.  Our offense has quick strike capability and the defense can make a stop.  Turnovers will the deciding factor- I have a sickly feeling that either Jacobs or Bradshaw will fumble as Gilbride continues with the run. 

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 769
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 1:32:01 AM   
boaby

ooft.

7 and 7.

That's gonna sting. Brady under no pressure. JPP, Tuck n co getting nowhere. NE's TEs making an appearance. Even 85 getting open. Getting a tad ugly for the Jints. Must score this drive. Even a FG.

Post #: 770
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 1:52:47 AM   
SWOTBM

Heart.  In.  Mouth. 

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 771
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:04:21 AM   
SWOTBM

Brady, you ain't got shit on Manning and Tyree 

God damn it Bradshaw.  Secure the football

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 6/2/2012 2:05:27 AM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 772
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:05:28 AM   
boaby

Crikey. Gronk wide open. Brady underthrows it.

Giants are charmed.

2 fumbles, two recoveries. Jammy, jammy dodgers.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 773
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:14:33 AM   
boaby

Eli is taking some chances. My word. He is threading some needles. Could come a cropper.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 774
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:32:12 AM   
boaby

The thread the Jints are clinging to is fraying.

Getting a bit of help from the Pats. Could have ended it there.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 775
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:32:38 AM   
SWOTBM

Wow.  Come on Eli.  This is your time. 

Manningham=Tyree

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 6/2/2012 2:33:00 AM >

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 776
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:39:59 AM   
SWOTBM

MVP?

If NYG win then Eli.  If the Pats come back then Brady.  No one else really sticks out at the moment. 

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 777
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:49:43 AM   
SWOTBM

Deja vu all over again.  Jay Alford eat your heart out 

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 778
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:53:13 AM   
SWOTBM

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 779
RE: NFL - 6/2/2012 2:57:38 AM   
boaby

Having seen the Pack in '97 let TD stroll in for a TD I was expecting a parting of the sea.

Giants deserved it. They played better and took more of their chances. Patriots will think what could've been.

Seeing Palpatine glum was gratifying.

Montana still numero uno.

Will Eli getting another ring spur on Peyton?

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI