Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: NFL

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL - 16/1/2012 5:56:21 PM   
boaby

I reckon you need a defence and a QB to win it.

The only team with both are the Giants. Their D is far from perfect but they get pressure. Their QB has done it before, with less weapons.

Alex Smith against pressure, and pressure without leaving 1-on-1 match-ups? Nae sure.

Ravens-Pats is hard to call. Brady vs Flacco? Brady all day long. Pats D vs Ravens D? No contest. Will the officials let the Ravens D be the Ravens D though? Whoever wins the Giants can take.

If I was to bet I'd say the Giants to win it .

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 721
RE: NFL - 18/1/2012 6:50:59 PM   
FilthWizard

ESPN reports that Tebow played almost half of the Patriots game with rib and lung injuries: http://is.gd/DGdwLc

It's April. What do you expect?

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 722
RE: NFL - 18/1/2012 6:55:01 PM   
boaby

God moves in mysterious ways.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to FilthWizard)
Post #: 723
RE: NFL - 18/1/2012 7:37:11 PM   
FilthWizard

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

God moves in mysterious ways.

He's a New England fan, it seems.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 724
RE: NFL - 18/1/2012 10:23:20 PM   
SWOTBM

Jim Caldwell fired as well.  I'm semi-surprised by that.  I thought the firing of the GM and not going 0-16 would have saved him, Indy are going to go through a real slump as they try and restructure- unless this Andrew Luck guy is all that.  I think it's kinda a given that Peyton's gonna get traded now, with all those guys gone.  Miami could be a real possibility.  What do you think Cap'n Black, would you like to see him in a Miami jersey?

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to FilthWizard)
Post #: 725
RE: NFL - 19/1/2012 12:42:36 AM   
FilthWizard

I'm relieved that Atlanta have Mike Nolan as their new D coach, especially as the Saints & Buccaneers were apparently sniffing around him. Falcons' defence has never been up there, so hoping that Nolan gives it some beef.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 726
RE: NFL - 19/1/2012 7:43:06 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM
What do you think Cap'n Black, would you like to see him in a Miami jersey?

Y'know, I hadn't really considered it until you suggested it. Ultimately, I hope he does the right thing for his health, but assuming he's a 100% Peyton Manning...I just don't know. The best scenario for him is a team which only needs a QB as the final piece and depending on what happens this Sunday, I'm not sure who that is. Even fully fit you get maybe 2 or 3 years out of him, at most. Is that enough to elevate the Dolphins to the status of contenders? I don't think it is. Our defence was sixth in points, and third against the run. Not bad. But I think he only puts us into the bracket of playoff contenders, so I think I'd look long term. I'd rather draft someone to sit behind Moore for a bit, or I quite like the idea of getting Flynn from the Packers (although it wouldn't be the first time a QB looks really good playing as a backup then folds when the responsibility's on his shoulder pads).

Can not wait for the Championship Games.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 727
RE: NFL - 20/1/2012 3:47:02 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Big news for NFL in the UK. St Louis Rams will play one game a year in the UK for the next 3 years

Post #: 728
RE: NFL - 20/1/2012 4:18:17 PM   
boaby

coincidentally the St. Louis Rams have a clause to get out of their stadium agreement in 3 years time...

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 729
RE: NFL - 20/1/2012 9:48:09 PM   
SWOTBM

I would certainly support a UK franchise- definitely put my name down for a season ticket.  Although I imagine that part of the reason for starting a franchise over here would be as a springboard for spreading out the schedule of the games across the UK (maybe EU?).  Can't see it happening though, probably just a coincidence.  

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 730
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 3:55:02 AM   
SWOTBM

Tough game, too close to call.  I really admire SF's defense and I think that they would actually match up better against NE, but they don't have the ability to stay with the Pats if it turns into a shootout.  Full credit to SF and hope they can keep up the attitude/level of intensity for next season as well.  Overall though, as well as SF defense played in the second half, I thought we did get a bit predictable and let them boss us at the line of scrimmage. 

Can't wait for the Superbowl; hope we really smash the Pats.  Brady is such a smug/arrogant arsehole.  Imho of course

So, open question, regardless of the result of this Superbowl: Do you think Eli is better than Peyton?

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 731
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 4:52:01 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

You a Giants fan SWOTBM? I hope you guys win as well, being a former Cowboys fan I've got a soft spot for teams from that division.

Can't believe that Baltimore kicker missed from 32 yards - what a major choke that was in the AFC Championship.

As for the SF-Giants game, it all got turned on that special teams fuck up where the SF player let the ball glance off his knee and the Giants recovered.

In terms of Tom Brady as much you want to hate him he's actually meant to be a top bloke

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 732
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 5:59:22 PM   
Captain Black

Rematch time! Come on the G-Men (and sorry for dooming you with my support).

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 733
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 6:39:24 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

You a Giants fan SWOTBM? I hope you guys win as well, being a former Cowboys fan I've got a soft spot for teams from that division.

Can't believe that Baltimore kicker missed from 32 yards - what a major choke that was in the AFC Championship.

As for the SF-Giants game, it all got turned on that special teams fuck up where the SF player let the ball glance off his knee and the Giants recovered.

In terms of Tom Brady as much you want to hate him he's actually meant to be a top bloke

I am indeedly doodly a Giants fan.  Started following them after they came to Wembley for the first international series game.  Before then I only loosely followed the game and I still don't know much about football pre-2005, although I know some of the more significant players (Marino, Payton, LT etc.). 

Nice to see some love from a fellow NFC East fan, although I must take this opportunity to state the fact that we did do the double on you this season   Do you still follow any team in particular?

Tom Brady may well be a nice guy, but he got so arrogant after going 18-0 back in 2007 (see link) that I really cannot stand the guy.  Plus he plays for Belicheat, which makes him even worse

EDIT: Forgot to add link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqErnhihQFQ

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 23/1/2012 6:40:23 PM >

Post #: 734
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 6:58:10 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I actually got into the NFL when the whole craze kicked off in 1983 in the UK!!! Yes I am that bloody old 

I supported the Dallas Cowboys from the off, watched them go from a decent team under this legendary coach called Tom Landry (5 Superbowls, 2 wins) to truly shit (1-15) and then our new head coach traded this running back called Herschel Walker to the Vikings for three years of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. We rebuilt and likes of Troy Aikman, Emmett Smith and Micheal Irvin took us to three Superbowls.

I watched really until the late 90s when it went off air terrestially and then completely stopped but since I got Sky Sports I've been rapidly getting back into it.

The last time I saw the giants they were wearing this helmet!

I saw Lawrence Taylor play at his peak - the guy was a killer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDZE8LnjYI

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 23/1/2012 7:06:00 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 735
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 7:20:24 PM   
CORLEONE

Billy Cundiff's the new Ray Finkel.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 736
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 7:33:40 PM   
Captain Black

I only listened to the game, but wasn't it 4th and 1 when the Ravens kicked? With some time left? I'd have gone for it instead of sending the kicker on. And I knew he was going to miss.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 737
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 7:54:38 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The kick should have been the right thing to do considering they had a former Pro Bowler taking it .

The Ravens didn't really look like Superbowl champs anyway, their offense didn't actually seem to have any weapons and I felt a bit sorry for their defence because it by and large shut down Brady.

Post #: 738
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 8:04:41 PM   
Captain Black

Ah, only 11 seconds, I thought there was more. Still would have gone for it (if I was playing Madden).

Invisiotext:

Post #: 739
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 9:27:33 PM   
SWOTBM

Heard of a few of those guys (mostly Aikman and Irvin through their work on TV networks and then subsequent research).  I do love the old Giants uniform, every so often all the NFL teams wear throwback uniforms and they look awesome (Redskins' one comes to mind). 

Just checked out that video and he looks like a beast.  It's just a shame I didn't grow up watching him week in week out (much like Ali, Pele, Jordan etc.).  I know they are hugely significant, and watching clips confirms this, but the younger generations (i.e. me ) do not get that same impact from watching highlight reels- and I'm not trying to belittle their acheivements/reputation or anything, it's just that I can't really fairly compare Zidane and Pele, or Strahan and LT without having properly watching the latter respectively. 

Post #: 740
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 9:54:13 PM   
Captain Black

I think (and a big part of it is the work of NFL Films) the NFL's always done a great job of making their history look magnificent. Check this out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8QUtzrLrXU&feature=related

It's nigh on impossible to compare players across eras, partially down to rule changes, but also because of the physical and tactical differences. Taylor was significant because he was a dominating linebacker who was a great pass rusher, so that made the 3-4 more popular and led to more versatile schemes they use today.

Also worth watching, the 1994 (though I think that's the season; it was actually 1995) NFC Championship Game between the Cowboys and the 49ers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CN5yTdBuJE
Probably the two last great powerhouse teams, before free agency and the salary cap gave the league greater parity. The full game used to be up, but I couldn't find it - might still be there if you've about three hours to spare.

Edit: Oh, that clip's only got Cowboys highlights, so you'll miss Steve Young's amazing TD pass to Jerry Rice from that game.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 23/1/2012 9:56:04 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 741
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 10:12:23 PM   
superdan

I first got into gridiron in the early/mid 80's, when the NFL first tried to market the game over here. As a consequence, football for me more or less begins with the likes of LT, Marino, Montana, Mike Singletary, Marcus Allen, Elway, Ozzie Newsome, Tony Dorsett, Kellen Winslow, Mike Haynes, Eric Dickerson et al. A great era to get into the game with some truly legendary players, though it's been miserable as a Dolphins fan ever since

Post #: 742
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 10:23:25 PM   
Captain Black

I watched bits here and there beforehand, because my cousin was quite into it. But really it was the '93 season (curse the shitty Cleveland playing surface which resulted in Dan Marino's ankle injury) where I started to follow it, and from '94 I was full time. Probably a large part thanks to the great Gary Imlach (Hall of Fame, first ballot as far as I'm concerned) and Channel 4's always excellent coverage. No one's produced a highlights show to compare to those in all the years since they stopped covering it in that form.

No one mentioned Barry Sanders yet?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 743
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 10:26:59 PM   
superdan

Barry Sanders was pure class. One of my mates is a Lions fan purely because of him.

Post #: 744
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 10:28:54 PM   
Captain Black

There aren't many other potential reasons!

"When you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before"

Invisiotext:

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 745
RE: NFL - 23/1/2012 10:41:10 PM   
SWOTBM

I feel so young 

Post #: 746
RE: NFL - 24/1/2012 9:29:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Just checked out that video and he looks like a beast.  It's just a shame I didn't grow up watching him week in week out (much like Ali, Pele, Jordan etc.).  I know they are hugely significant, and watching clips confirms this, but the younger generations (i.e. me ) do not get that same impact from watching highlight reels- and I'm not trying to belittle their acheivements/reputation or anything, it's just that I can't really fairly compare Zidane and Pele, or Strahan and LT without having properly watching the latter respectively. 

Yeah totally agree - the no.1 pass rusher of all time according to that list was a guy called Deacon Jones? Who the fuck is that!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

I think (and a big part of it is the work of NFL Films) the NFL's always done a great job of making their history look magnificent.

Yeah very true they are extremley good at upping the drama levels. Have you seen America's Game which chronicles various teams over the years whether Superbowl winners or not. That would be a fantastic box set to own, I've only seen a couple on Sky.

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I first got into gridiron in the early/mid 80's, when the NFL first tried to market the game over here. As a consequence, football for me more or less begins with the likes of LT, Marino, Montana, Mike Singletary, Marcus Allen, Elway, Ozzie Newsome, Tony Dorsett, Kellen Winslow, Mike Haynes, Eric Dickerson et al. A great era to get into the game with some truly legendary players, though it's been miserable as a Dolphins fan ever since

Wow that brings back a lot of memories - Eric Dickerson was fucking brilliant as well.
The Barry Sanders dig was spot on, as brilliant as he was it was a damn shame he played for such a crap team!!!

Do you guys remember Steve Largent as well - another heroic player grinding away for a shit team :

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 24/1/2012 9:35:56 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 747
RE: NFL - 24/1/2012 11:43:16 PM   
boaby

I started watching in the early '90s.

I hate the phuckin' Cowgirls. Everything about them. Can't stand 'em. Wish them pain.

Even though they broke my heart I did like Elway, TD, Sharpe and McCaffrey at the Broncos.

I didn't start paying attention to things beyond the Pack and the Superbowl until uni. Ravens D, Greatest Show on turf, the phuckin' Patriots, that @rsehole Gruden.

Favre was bad for yer health. Drove me to drink. Well, it's nae like I wasn't headed there anyway like.

I didn't really have an appreciation for the olden times until America's game came along. Up until and including the Ravens one they are all cracking. After that ye get into the phuckin' Patriots and the folk that know now what America's Game means. Posterity. The new ones are crap. The last Packers one was terrible.

Post #: 748
RE: NFL - 27/1/2012 10:52:08 PM   
SWOTBM

Don't know how long they'll be up for, but this guy has the full America's Game on his channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/YooTubeMee#p/u

Just watched the '86 Giants, awesome viewing.  Bit of an incredible time sink though, but it's an ''educational'' documentary so I am excused

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 749
RE: NFL - 27/1/2012 11:08:25 PM   
boaby

"I know for damn sure if Bill was throwing garbage around he wasn't throwing it in my direction."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: NFL Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI