Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 15/10/2011 4:35:21 PM   
Herr Schnitzel

When I was 12 I got the Hitchcock book by Truffaut for Christmas, because my dad knew that I was a bit of a film nut even then. It was the first time I realised what film director actually did. I decided that I was going to see every Hitchcock film I could see and apart from most of the silent films and a small number of the early sound film (Waltzes from Vienna). My favourite film still is Vertigo, though I saw that relatively late because it was out of circulation when I got into Hitchcock in the 70s (I finally saw it at a secret screening at the Munich Film Museum a few years before its official re-release). Hitchcock still is my favourite director. I like the modernism of his films, the mixture of cool and passion and I love the artifice that many of his detractors have complained about.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 151
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/10/2011 2:46:16 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Frenzy's kind of odd, it has some brilliant scenes [the murder, the potato truck scene etc.] but a great deal of it feels very pedestrian and almost unneccessary imo.  The rape/murder is quite horrible but I don't understand the fuss about Hitchcock getting into 70s sex and violence, apart from the killing there's not much of it and way back to the 40s [and maybe beyond?]  his films often pushed boundaries.  The director does feel a little awkward depicting a more permissive environment though.  Interesting use of a somewhat unglamorous cast and slightly dislikeable hero [unlike say Vertigo where at least the hero was likeable at first!].

I remember seeing in a documentary a couple of years back about an unfinished film that Hitch was going set in New York about a serial killer/rapist, from an original screenplay, the film was to be told from the killers perspective.

It was to be very explicit comapred to his other films (although having said that, The Birds and Psycho were very gory and explicit for their time). The working title was Kaliedescope/Frenzy and he even went as far as doing test shoots (stills from the test shoots I saw in that doc were full of nudity and gore)  but it was eventually abandoned, I think even Hitch realised he might be going too far (for the times anyway) and he made Frenzy (based on a novel) in London instead.

But I bet you knew all that anyway

< Message edited by Discodez -- 17/10/2011 2:49:13 PM >

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 152
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 29/11/2011 12:49:19 PM   
JIm R

News of events on at BFI

http://www.bfi.org.uk/hitchcock/

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 153
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/3/2012 1:52:05 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Watched The Paradine Case, was ok, nothing amazing really and pretty predictable. It looked great though and its good to see Peck learned how to act since Spellbound lol

Also saw To Catch a Thief, was fun. Why is Cary Grant so tanned? Whyyyyy?

I watched North By Northwest last night, he's unbelievably tanned in this as well that it's nearly off putting. Also what is up with the kiss with Eva Marie Saint? The awkward hands behind the head, it just looks so unnatural. Great film all the same.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 154
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/3/2012 11:16:09 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

Watched The Paradine Case, was ok, nothing amazing really and pretty predictable. It looked great though and its good to see Peck learned how to act since Spellbound lol

I watched North By Northwest last night, he's unbelievably tanned in this as well that it's nearly off putting. Also what is up with the kiss with Eva Marie Saint? The awkward hands behind the head, it just looks so unnatural. Great film all the same.

One of the best films of the lot - Cary Grant whilst heavily tanned or otherwise was superb back in the day though and his collaborations with Hitchcock (much like James Stewart) really showed off his range as an actor.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 155
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/3/2012 4:14:41 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

One of the best films of the lot - Cary Grant whilst heavily tanned or otherwise was superb back in the day though and his collaborations with Hitchcock (much like James Stewart) really showed off his range as an actor.

Indeed it is great. Shamed to say I'd never seen it before. Nor Vertigo for that matter which is up next.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 156
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 19/3/2012 4:09:02 PM   
TheGodfather

This afternoon I`ve the US blu-ray of To Catch A Thief. Looking forward to watching it. Grace Kelly in high def will be great!

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 157
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/5/2012 10:42:34 AM   
TwistedAnimator

I've only seen The Birds. Any of Hitchcock's films you'd recommend above all others?

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 158
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/5/2012 4:03:31 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: TwistedAnimator

I've only seen The Birds. Any of Hitchcock's films you'd recommend above all others?

Watch as many as you can mate, but though I haven't seen them all, my favourite is Rear Window, followed by North by Northwest and The Man Who Knew Too Much (his 1956 version).

(in reply to TwistedAnimator)
Post #: 159
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/5/2012 10:01:30 AM   
efc91

I have seen the majority of his work. To a new comer I would suggest watching his most famous films like Vertigo, Rear Window, North by Northwest and Psycho. Then if you enjoy them explore his other films.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 160
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 28/5/2012 9:10:10 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: TwistedAnimator

Watch as many as you can mate, but though I haven't seen them all, my favourite is Rear Window, followed by North by Northwest and The Man Who Knew Too Much (his 1956 version).

Yeah, just watch all of them. North By Northwest, Psycho, Strangers On A Train, Vertigo and Rear Window are my favourites. Ironically, the only Hitchcock film I haven't really liked that much is The Birds. It's always listed as one of his best - if not his best - but I was strangely disappointed by it.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 161
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/6/2012 6:55:01 PM   
TheGodfather

Watched today:

To Catch A Thief
Cary Grant is a former juwel thief living in France. For years he hasn`t stolen any diamants but when a thief becomes active who carries his way of working he`s the first one being accused of the stealings.
Onjustly, according to himself. And so he tries to prove his innocence.
Partly shot on location in the French riviera, this is a light and entertaining Hitchcock in wich the beautiful locations are put to great use. Grant gives a good performance as the thief and it`s always a great pleasure watching Grace Kelly, the most beautiful woman to ever walk the face of the earth, on screen, especially in this tight high definition image.
It`s especially a very nice film but it nowhere gets really intense or exciting.
Highly recommended.

8,0/10

Bring on Vertigo in hi-def!!!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 162
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2012 12:40:46 AM   
Saltire

^^ Good film, and your right about Grace Kelly, she was a stoater back in the day.

Post #: 163
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2012 2:40:43 AM   
Spaldron

I watched Psycho for the first time in years not that long ago and as great as it is I found the second half dragged a little.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 20/6/2012 2:41:13 AM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 164
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2012 4:27:07 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I watched Psycho for the first time in years not that long ago and as great as it is I found the second half dragged a little.

Agreed and when he comes down wearing his mums old clothes is laughable now which spoils it a lot for me.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 165
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2012 10:54:03 PM   
TheGodfather

Today I`ve received the Criterion blu-ray of The 39 Steps,and watched it right away:

The 39 Steps
This film from the English era of Hitchcock has a high entertainment value. It`s very clear that some of his later films find their origin here (among wich The Wrong Man and of course North By Northwest) in Hitch`s first commercial succes.
It`ll never become his best film, because it`s "a fun watch" but nothing more than that, but a "lesser" Hitchcock is still better than most of the other films that are put out there.

7,5/10

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 166
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/7/2012 1:02:27 AM   
AmityBodega1977

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fantastic 'making of' documentaries by Laurent Bouzereau included in the Hitchcock Collection DVD series. Truly brilliant, especially Rear Window and The Birds.

(in reply to Herr Schnitzel)
Post #: 167
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/7/2012 1:17:53 AM   
AmityBodega1977

I have North by Northwest and Psycho on Blu Ray and both are incredible transfers but I heard some negative reviews about The 39 Steps. I know it's a much older film but how would you rate it? Having already seen it.

Post #: 168
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/7/2012 7:00:53 PM   
TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmityBodega1977

but I heard some negative reviews about The 39 Steps. I know it's a much older film but how would you rate it? Having already seen it.

I`d rate the picture quality (of the Criterion blu-ray, not the UK blu-ray) as really good. It`s on old film indeed but Criterion did a truly stellar job on it. Get it if you don`t have it yet.

(in reply to AmityBodega1977)
Post #: 169
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 21/7/2012 1:19:29 AM   
AmityBodega1977

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheGodfather

quote:

ORIGINAL: AmityBodega1977

but I heard some negative reviews about The 39 Steps. I know it's a much older film but how would you rate it? Having already seen it.

I`d rate the picture quality (of the Criterion blu-ray, not the UK blu-ray) as really good. It`s on old film indeed but Criterion did a truly stellar job on it. Get it if you don`t have it yet.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll get the Criterion release, I think they are multi region too

Post #: 170
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 11/11/2012 10:33:37 PM   
Coyleone

I've only gotten in to Hitchcock in the last couple of months, it was just a case of never getting around to watching any of his films, but with a ton of free time I've managed to finally get started with his work. And needless to say, it's absolutely brilliant. these are the ones I've seen so far from best to worst...

North By Northwest - Immediately jumped into my top 5 favourite movies of all time. One of the most purely enjoyable and suspenseful films I've ever seen. Grant is brilliant, it's funny, it's tense the score is amazing and it's an absolute joy to watch. Adored it on every level. 10/10

Vertigo - A genuine masterpiece. Technically this is one of the finest films ever made, and it's no slouch on the entertainment level either. It;s not quite as enjoyable as the above film, but it's not far behind. The use of colour and imagery are off the charts amazing, Stewart is class in the lead role, the twists and turns genuinely shocked me unlike any other movie, the dream sequence and the end both literally had me sitting there with my jaw dropped and the direction might be the best I've ever seen along side some of Goddard's work. Stunning. 10/10

The Birds - An amazing horror film. The fact that Hitchcock managed to make birds genuinely scary is a huge achievement in itself, but add that to the great tension and suspense and you've got a horror film of the highest order. The way he builds his characters first before hurtling them head first into another genre is so effective. 9/10

Rear Window - An immensely enjoyable, suspense filled movie. The sets and the camera work are brilliant, Stewart is maybe on better form than Vertigo here, despite the film not quite matching those heights. The suspense builds and builds to a brilliant climax. 8.5/10

Psycho - Great movie. I;d agree with some people that a couple of elements seem a little dated now, but then there's other elements like the cinematography and the shower scene that are just as effective today as anything else. Slowed down a little in the second half, but I really liked the ending and really enjoyed the film a lot. 7.5/10

Next up on my to watch list are Strangers On A Train, Rope and Rebecca.

EDIT:

Just watched Strangers On A Train tonight, and it was really, really good. I loved the whole of the first amusement park sequence, and the shot of the murder happening in the reflection in the glasses was amazing, I've never seen a shot quite like that before, seems like something not many filmmakers today would even consider or try doing. The finale was so, so good. I loved how everything built up in those final scenes from the tennis game until the carousel went down. Everything from the music to the tension reached boiling point and then just exploded in an unforgettable climax. Great fun. 7.5/10

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 12/11/2012 12:51:54 AM >

(in reply to AmityBodega1977)
Post #: 171
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/11/2012 1:53:25 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Coyleone

North By Northwest - Immediately jumped into my top 5 favourite movies of all time. One of the most purely enjoyable and suspenseful films I've ever seen. Grant is brilliant, it's funny, it's tense the score is amazing and it's an absolute joy to watch. Adored it on every level. 10/10

This is the pure heart of NbNW that you can laugh at the scene in the auctioneers while still being afraid for the character. Next time you watch it, look out for Eva Marie Saint's lips / words in the dining car on the train. The words say "I never discuss love on an empty stomach", the lips say "I never make love on an empty stomach". The change coming when the latter was thought to be too risque.

If you like Hitch and Grant, check out Notorious.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 172
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/11/2012 7:20:44 PM   
Coyleone

Yeah I'll definitely check out Notorious. As far as the Hitch/Grant combo goes, how about To Catch A Thief? I saw it was one of his highest rated films on RT so I've got it lined up to watch.

< Message edited by Coyleone -- 12/11/2012 7:21:07 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 173
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/11/2012 9:20:41 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Is it really? IMO it looks beautiful, but really is a lesser work in both Hitchcocks and Grants careers.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 174
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/11/2012 11:47:46 PM   
siegfried

Agreed, but as you say it does look gorgeous, is one of his wittier films, and hell, he was the only director, in my opinion, ever to make Grace Kelly sexy.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 175
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 22/11/2012 10:35:12 PM   
fairyprincess

Dial m for murder 3d is coming out on blu-Ray next Monday. Can't wait.....

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 176
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/12/2012 9:32:26 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: fairyprincess

Dial m for murder 3d is coming out on blu-Ray next Monday. Can't wait.....

One of his best, a tremendous film, though who would want to kill the gorgeous Grace Kelly!?!

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 177
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/9/2013 12:00:43 PM   
sanchia

This is the first time I have ever seen Topaz and it is the very first Hitchcock film I have seen which is nigh on impossible to watch because it is so bad.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 17/9/2013 12:36:34 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 178
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/9/2013 12:23:20 PM   
Dr Lenera

Agree entirely with you there. I struggled to get through Topaz the two times I watched it. First third is reasonable, but it loses it totally afterwards.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 179
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/9/2013 11:48:15 PM   
Whistler

Still haven't seen Topaz. Or Rope, for that matter.

The only Hitchcock film I've really struggled with so far is Marnie. I just couldn't get into it at all. I'm not a fan of The Birds either - maybe it's just Tippi Hedren.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI