Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/3/2010 10:53:37 AM   
Edward Nygma

Watched Under Capricorn for the first time the other day. It's kinda strange to see a Hitchcock film set in 19th century Australia with Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman. It therefore takes some time to get into it and for a moment you sort of feel like it's going to be super boring but then the film really gets going and it becomes typical Hitchcock (troubled marriage, big secrets, temperamental husband, evil maid). It's all pretty melodramatic but once you get into it, it's a good Hitch.

Also watched Dial M For Murder last week, very good. Also takes time to get into but then it's hard to look away. Clever, tense film with a clever ending Agatha Christie would have "killed" for.

Will watch Secret Agent in the next few days.

Oh, btw, is it just me or was The Trouble with Harry really rubbish?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Illuminated)
Post #: 121
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/3/2010 11:49:52 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Watched Under Capricorn for the first time the other day. It's kinda strange to see a Hitchcock film set in 19th century Australia with Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman. It therefore takes some time to get into it and for a moment you sort of feel like it's going to be super boring but then the film really gets going and it becomes typical Hitchcock (troubled marriage, big secrets, temperamental husband, evil maid). It's all pretty melodramatic but once you get into it, it's a good Hitch.

Also watched Dial M For Murder last week, very good. Also takes time to get into but then it's hard to look away. Clever, tense film with a clever ending Agatha Christie would have "killed" for.

No Ed, it's not just you mate, widely regarded as one of his weaker films.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 122
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/3/2010 3:19:55 PM   
Edward Nygma

Oh good

I mean, I'd never really seen a weak Hitchcock film so it was kind of a shock, especially since it looked promising. Parts of it are ok and Shirley MacLaine is always watchable but I guess the trouble with The Trouble With Harry is it's just...kinda dumb. It feels like a play badly translated into a film with a plot which never seems to go anywhere.

A shame really. But I guess a director, as good as he or she is, can't make only good films.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 123
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/3/2010 12:34:47 PM   
sanchia

Don't watch Mr & Mrs Smith then, as that is probably his worst and makes the Trouble With Harry look good.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 124
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/3/2010 12:57:51 PM   
Edward Nygma

Oh yeah, I forgot he did that.

Now you've said that though I HAVE to see it lol

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 125
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/3/2010 3:00:35 PM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Don't watch Mr & Mrs Smith then, as that is probably his worst and makes the Trouble With Harry look good.

Mr & Mrs Smith makes Torn Curtain look like Vertigo

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 126
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/3/2010 5:40:31 PM   
sanchia

I've also heard some bad things about Topaz but that is one of his films I have yet to see.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 127
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/3/2010 6:25:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Edward Nygma

Under Capricorn is quite underrated in my opinion, it's very elegant, even quite beautiful, superbly acted especially by Bergman [her lengthy speech near the end is fantastic] and oddly gripping after a while despite the extremely slow pace.  I'd rate it over Hitch's last four films any day.

The Trouble With Harry, I wouldn't say it's total rubbish, it's a pleasant diversion and has a lovely Bernard Hermann score, but it only has occasional laughs and just comes across as being rather pointless.  His weakest film of the 50s.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

Post #: 128
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/3/2010 6:30:49 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I've also heard some bad things about Topaz but that is one of his films I have yet to see.

Topaz is really, really, really poor.  It's kind of watchable for the first half, a bit dreary but with the odd good moment, then just gets more and more boring. Actually took me two attempts to watch the thing before I saw it all the way through, and even when I did my attention wavered and I lost track of what was going on!  I really don't think Hitch cared about this one [I'm not a huge fan of his next film Frenzy but at least the director seemed pretty engaged with that one].

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 129
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/3/2010 11:58:11 PM   
Edward Nygma

Haven't seen Frenzy or Topaz but since I'm working on a Hitchcock-style project, I'm afraid I'll have to!

Watching The Paradine Case tonight, have no idea what it'll be like but the cast seems pretty decent.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 130
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 31/3/2010 5:55:06 PM   
sanchia

Another poor one I am afraid. It is rather pedestrian and I found the plot rather lacking.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 131
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 2/4/2010 10:52:44 PM   
Lloyd_Christmas

Honestly haven't seen a Hitchcock movie I disliked. Obviously some are much stronger or less dated than others, but I find them all to be entertaining.

I just watched The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes this week. Blown away by both of them.

Hey guys! Big gulps eh? Alright! ......... WELL, see ya later!

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 132
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/4/2010 3:04:14 PM   
Edward Nygma

Watched The Paradine Case, was ok, nothing amazing really and pretty predictable. It looked great though and its good to see Peck learned how to act since Spellbound lol

Also saw To Catch a Thief, was fun. Why is Cary Grant so tanned? Whyyyyy?

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Lloyd_Christmas)
Post #: 133
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/4/2010 2:41:12 PM   
Edward Nygma

OMG watched Frenzy last night for the first time, that was messed up, but also brilliant. Slightly more disturbing, brutal and graphic than we're used to with Hitch films but this was a gripping thriller with some classic Hitchcock moments which is relentlessly tense from start to finish and actually pretty funny in places.

I must admit the end of the first strangling scene played a big part in soiling my pants that evening. Underrated Hitch classic IMO.

"Lovely...lovely...lovely" lol *shudder*

Ben. Affleck.

Post #: 134
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 14/4/2010 11:38:53 AM   
Dr Lenera

Frenzy's kind of odd, it has some brilliant scenes [the murder, the potato truck scene etc.] but a great deal of it feels very pedestrian and almost unneccessary imo.  The rape/murder is quite horrible but I don't understand the fuss about Hitchcock getting into 70s sex and violence, apart from the killing there's not much of it and way back to the 40s [and maybe beyond?]  his films often pushed boundaries.  The director does feel a little awkward depicting a more permissive environment though.  Interesting use of a somewhat unglamorous cast and slightly dislikeable hero [unlike say Vertigo where at least the hero was likeable at first!].

Post #: 135
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 14/4/2010 2:31:35 PM   
Edward Nygma

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

Frenzy's kind of odd, it has some brilliant scenes [the murder, the potato truck scene etc.] but a great deal of it feels very pedestrian and almost unneccessary imo.  The rape/murder is quite horrible but I don't understand the fuss about Hitchcock getting into 70s sex and violence, apart from the killing there's not much of it and way back to the 40s [and maybe beyond?]  his films often pushed boundaries.  The director does feel a little awkward depicting a more permissive environment though.  Interesting use of a somewhat unglamorous cast and slightly dislikeable hero [unlike say Vertigo where at least the hero was likeable at first!].

It is pretty odd. It's not a perfect film and I think it is let down by a less believable third act (hospital escape etc) but overall it's an interesting Hitchcock film with some terrific scenes, clever shots and great audience manipulation. We instantly suspect and dislike the hero at first and our view of him only changes when it is...bluntly revealed who the real culprit is. After that you feel kind of bad for him because he's such an unlucky loser of a guy!

Will watch Family Plot over the next couple of days, I hear it's no masterpiece so wish me luck lol The trailer with Hitch was fun though, as ever.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 136
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/5/2010 10:06:21 PM   
TheGodfather

Rebecca
Hitchcock`s film after Daphne Du Maurier`s classic bestseller is one of his most exciting and intense films in wich he takes his leading lady Joan Fontaine and his audience on a two hour questionnaire trying to find out what on earth is happening. The tension is built up excellent and carefully, making the ending as surprising as it is sad.
A brilliant Hitchcock.

9,0/10

Jules: "What" ain't no country I ever heard of! They speak English in What?
Brett: What?
Jules: ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

Post #: 137
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/6/2010 12:07:00 AM   
TheGodfather

Vertigo
This second time I found it to be even better than after the first time, when I already made it out to be Hitchcock`s best.
He knows the tension and your attention up all the time, even though the film basically excists out of two stories (as we would later also see in Psycho and L`Avventura). Hitchcock was a revolutionary storyteller in that regard.
The first part is exciting and mysterious, the second part is (with its dreamy atmosphere) maybe even better. Hitch plays a lot with different colours wich give the film that dreamy feel to it. From a mystery it almost turned into a character study for James Stewart`s character. In the whole film he is, as ever, really strong with the beautiful Kim Novak (wonderfully brought to the screen by those different colours) giving a brilliant performance.
Finished up by the classic Bernard Hermann score, Vertigo is Hitchcock`s best work in that long, very long line of influential classics.

10/10

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 138
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/6/2010 12:40:26 AM   
Harry Lime

Top stuff, Godfather. Vertigo is an astounding piece of work. The greatest film ever made, in my view.

Hitchcock's second best movie, for me, is Strangers on a Train - which I watched again tonight. The humour in it is so deliciously dark and the moments of suspense and drama are just fabulously constructed. The final third, in particular, is a masterclass in editing and pacing. And, of course, the performance of Robert Walker is as hilarious as it is chilling. It's just a great, great movie that never ever disappoints, no matter how often you watch it. 5

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

Post #: 139
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/6/2010 12:49:53 AM   
TheGodfather

Thanks 

Strangers on a train was brilliant as well, really liked that the first time I saw it

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 140
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/6/2010 10:45:08 AM   
matty_b

Strangers on a Train - yes, yes, yes!

So glad it's getting some recognition. It's my personal favourite of his (although probably not his "best") and I've always found it's hugely underrated. It gets the balance between being a hilarious black comedy and a chilling horror just right and Robert Walker is outstanding. The fairground murder scene done without any dialogue is my favourite Hitchcock scene of all time - right from the initial stalking to that wonderful sick joke of Walker helping a blind lady across the road right at the end.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 141
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 26/6/2010 11:27:15 AM   
Edward Nygma

Strangers on a Train is great. It's one of those Hitchcock films I really don't mind watching again and again. It's got one of my favourite "vilains" of any Hitchcock film. Although of course Norman Bates and the creepy maids from Rebecca and Under Capricorn not to mention that wacko from Frenzy are all right up there.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 142
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/8/2010 6:41:15 PM   
Peppermint

Watched Spellbound and Notorious this afternoon, neither of which are my favourites, but definitely still worth watching.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 143
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/8/2010 7:05:44 PM   
sanchia

I tend to think of Spellbound as a curiousity in the Hitchcock repetoire. The main problem I have is that I cannot stop thinking of High Anxiety whenever I watch it.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 144
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/10/2010 5:51:25 PM   
BobM70

The Trouble With Harry is an odd little film. I like it very much. It has a surreal tone that I like. The story seems to go nowhere and the humour is offbeat. To me it was a Coen film avant la lettre. And it is beautifully shot with the crispiest of colours. See it.

Another favourite of mine is A Shadow of a Doubt. Wonderful film which builds up slowly. Terrific acting. Cotton was an underrated actor.

bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 145
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 23/10/2010 12:08:43 PM   
jackassfan

My ratings for all his films that i have seen

Blackmail (1929) 8/10
Murder (1930) 7/10
The Skin Game (1931) 4/10
Rich And Strange (1931) 5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) 8/10
The 39 Steps (1935) 8/10
Sabotage (1937) 7/10
Young And Innocent (1937) 7.5/10
The Lady Vanishes (1938) 10/10
Jamaica Inn (1939) 6/10
Rebecca (1940) 10/10
Foreign Correspondant (1941) 9/10
Mr & Mrs Smith (1941) 6/10
Suspicion (1941) 8/10
Sabotuer (1942) 9/10
Shadow Of |A Doubt (1943) 10/10
Lifeboat (1944) 10/10
Spellbound (1945) 7/10
Notorious (1946) 9/10
The Paradine Case (1947) 5/10
Rope (1948) 9.5/10
Stage Fright (1950) 6/10
Strangers On  Train (1951) 9.5/10
I Confess (1953) 7.5/10
Dial M For Murder (1954) 8/10
Rear Window (1954) 10/10
To Catch A Thief (1955) 7/10
The Trouble With Harry (1955) 7.5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) 6/10
The Wrong Man (1956) 8/10
Vertigo (1958) 10/10
North By Northwest (1959) 10/10
Psycho (1960) 8/10
The Birds (1963) 8/10
Marnie (1964) 6/10
Frenzy (1972) 7.5/10

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 146
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/8/2011 12:51:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm not sure if it's cropped up anywhere else on the forums, but I've just read this. Footage from an early film Hitchcock worked on has been found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14384626

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 147
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/8/2011 8:56:41 AM   
TheGodfather

And it`s said to run in a limited run in a LA cinema next month

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 148
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/8/2011 12:54:00 PM   
halfmoon

Psycho. Definitely. I approached it not with the view that I would not enjoy it, but with the idea that my brain, now cursed by a somewhat short attention span when it comes to pre-1960s films, would become bored with it. I couldn't have been more wrong.

It's probably been said countless times before, but Anthony Perkins performance as Norman Bates absolutely captivated me at times.

Post #: 149
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 24/9/2011 9:33:10 PM   
sanchia

I've just watched I Confess for the first time. Definitely not one of his better films although decent. Montgomery Clift didn't really work for me as the priest coming across a bit too withdrawn and the plot itself seemed a bit contrived.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to halfmoon)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI