Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 28/7/2009 4:24:00 PM   
Barry G10

If you watch Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho, you will be able to see the origins of countless suspense movie conventions. For instance, the sequence in Northwest where the agents arrive at the train station and confront everyone wearing a uniform that is similar to Roger Thornhill's mirrors the market sequence in Raiders of the Lost Ark with the baskets.

The camera angles are outstanding.

Also watch: Strangers on a Train, Rebecca, Notorious, The Birds, Frenzy, The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956), Dial "M" for Murder, and I Confess.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 91
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 28/7/2009 6:59:22 PM   
00Nothing

I watched The Birds last night on DVD. Love that movie, personally speaking I think it's one of his most unnerving films in every way, the fact that there are no easy answers or explanation to what is going on is superbly done, the attack sequences are masterclasses in building suspense, especially the attack on the school and whilst I know the shower scene in Psycho is more famous, personally I think when Tippi Hedren is attacked in the bedroom and can't get out is the most frighening and disturbing moment he ever directed.

"I will see you in another life, when we are both cats."

(in reply to Barry G10)
Post #: 92
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/8/2009 12:38:58 AM   
Tank Boy

Strangers On A Train, the European preview print. Cuts out the amusing ending.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to 00Nothing)
Post #: 93
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/8/2009 4:58:44 AM   
Tank Boy

Have been working my way through the 14-disc box set I bought: Shadow Of A Doubt, Saboteur, Rope, Rear Window and The Trouble With Harry. Top notch, particularly Rear Window, which is the only one I had seen before.

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 94
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 14/8/2009 10:12:56 PM   
elzupasmonkey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Lifeboat (1945) Having read a lot of comments on what happens when people are put under stress in close proximity in Darabont's The Mist I went back to the classic of this type of movie making, with probably the cheapest set ever made.  I think it shows what a class act Hitchcock is that he's able to wring so much tension and drama from such a relatively simple concept.  Several themes are re-explored in Flight of the Phoenix twenty years later, but this is well worth a watch.  On release panned for being too pro-German during the war.  And then on later review panned for being too pro-American.  Now I think it can be recognised as a great film, if not one of Hitchcock's very best.

4/5

Agreed. I thought this movie was going to take a 'he may be German, but he's a human being just like us' spin, but it doesn't!

I was genuinely surprised by the end.

http://tiny.cc/odytmw

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 95
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 15/8/2009 12:32:00 AM   
siegfried

I watched I Confess last night, for the first time, and was surprised, considering the lack of attention paid to it, just how good it is.
It deals with one of Hitchcock's most familiar themes, that of an innocent man unjustly accused of murder. The twist this time is that the accused man is a young priest who is bound by the rule of the confessional not to give away the identity of the murderer.
The film is much darker in tone than most of Hitch's work. Stunning black and white photography and exceptional performances by Montgomery Clift, Karl Malden and O. E. Hasse (as the despicable murderer) made it compulsive viewing.
On first viewing, I would rate it highly in the canon of the Master. Well worth checking out.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to elzupasmonkey)
Post #: 96
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 15/8/2009 1:58:06 AM   
Tank Boy

The Man Who Wasn't There (1956) - Enjoyable and beautifully shot remake, but it's a little overlong and lacks the atmosphere of the original, not to mention Peter Lorre!

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 97
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 15/8/2009 5:11:05 PM   
Peppermint

Just watching North By Northwest now and even with adverts it's still fab.  One of my favourite films ever.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 98
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 15/8/2009 6:31:54 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Just watching North By Northwest now and even with adverts it's still fab.  One of my favourite films ever.

I watched it too. The adverts did distract but were not able ruin the brilliance of the film. Even the credit sequence is brilliant!

When the North by Northwest Blu-Ray arrives it will be mine!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 99
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/8/2009 9:33:50 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tank Boy

The Man Who Wasn't There (1956) - Enjoyable and beautifully shot remake, but it's a little overlong and lacks the atmosphere of the original, not to mention Peter Lorre!

I think the Coen's version of The Man Who Wasn't There is by far the best, but I love both versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 100
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 21/8/2009 4:13:42 PM   
Tank Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I think the Coen's version of The Man Who Wasn't There is by far the best, but I love both versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Haha, whoops! Sorry, getting my titles confused...

Anyway, watched Vertigo last night. Had seen it before, to be honest I'm not a big Vertigo nut like some Hitch fans. It's quite downbeat, and you kind of loose sympathy with Stewart's character when he gets all obsessive. But there are many impressive things about it.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 101
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 22/8/2009 11:09:22 AM   
sanchia

I have Jamaica Inn sitting on my shelf and think it may get a viewing today as I have had it for 6 months.

Well I can see why it was there for 6 months. One of Hitchcock's poorer films. Not quite at the low level of Mr and Mrs Smith but close.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 22/8/2009 9:32:14 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 102
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/9/2009 9:59:49 PM   
lord of the pies

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I watched I Confess last night, for the first time, and was surprised, considering the lack of attention paid to it, just how good it is.
It deals with one of Hitchcock's most familiar themes, that of an innocent man unjustly accused of murder. The twist this time is that the accused man is a young priest who is bound by the rule of the confessional not to give away the identity of the murderer.
The film is much darker in tone than most of Hitch's work. Stunning black and white photography and exceptional performances by Montgomery Clift, Karl Malden and O. E. Hasse (as the despicable murderer) made it compulsive viewing.
On first viewing, I would rate it highly in the canon of the Master. Well worth checking out.

I'm glad someone else is a fan of I Confess, its one of my faves of his. It is often overlooked and deserves more attention. The cinematography especially is stunning.

Join The Church of JJ today!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=527670&mpage=23&key=&NID=0#2414995

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 103
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/10/2009 1:21:49 AM   
Tropic Thunder

My favourite film is the Birds it is fantastic, however I believe Alfred is the master of continuity, and suspence but everyone knows that. Directors today don't know how to achieve this. It would be nice if someone would make a film in this day in age using Hitchcock's methods, it would almost be reveloutionary for a film maker to use minimal special effects to create a film with a decent story and continuety.

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 104
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 5/10/2009 12:07:01 PM   
Tank Boy

Just watched The Birds again the other day, as well as Psycho and Marnie. Hadn't sen Marnie before, it has it's flaws but overall it's quite good.

(in reply to Tropic Thunder)
Post #: 105
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 16/10/2009 6:48:06 PM   
evil bill

PSYCHO 1960
One of the most famous movies of all time,and one of the most influential horror movies ever,after all it gave birth to the now infamous Slasher genre.This made Norman Bates a household name,and poor old Anthony Perkins was never to escape it's dark shadow.Robert Bloch wrote the original work, Joseph Stefano adapted it into a tight screenplay,but it was Alfred Hitchcock with the extraordinary powerful score by Bernard Herrmann who transformed this horrific tale into a classic horror masterpiece. The score guides pushes us into the moment before the moment arrives provoking the sort of anticipation that verges on the unbearable. The fact that the key scenes have become iconic film moments: copied, imitated, emulated and parodied, have not diminished its impact, not really. The anticipation, underlined by Herrmann's strings, creates a sort of craving for the moment to arrive.Never had a main lead been killed off so brutally and early in a movie,this is the most famous scene put to film ever.That shower scene sent me throught the roof on first viewing,and it was just the opener,as the kiling become even more unbearable to watch but we do.Carpenter would use this technique in Halloween to great effect as he paid homage to this classic. Everything falls into place so perfectly in to place,yet the Gus Van Sant's shot for shot full colour remake just pales in comparison to Hichcocks classic B&W original.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 106
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 17/10/2009 6:03:35 PM   
Tank Boy

Recently-discovered Hitchcock interview:

Alfred Hitchcock (part 1 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

Alfred Hitchcock (part 2 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

Alfred Hitchcock (part 3 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

Alfred Hitchcock part (4 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

Alfred Hitchcock (part 5 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

Alfred Hitchcock (part 6 of 6) Tomorrow Show with Tom Snyder Fall 1973.

< Message edited by Tank Boy -- 17/10/2009 6:05:44 PM >

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 107
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/11/2009 10:37:25 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mason Verger

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Paul Merton Looks at Alfred Hitchcock

Caught this when repeated on BBC 2 at the weekend, don't have extra 'arts' channels, only bog standard , really excellent docu, very well presented and discussed the art of Hitchcock's films as well as his back catologue and reasoning for his work.

Merton was either well informed on his research or is a genuine fan.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 108
Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/11/2009 6:37:13 PM   
JohnChard

1.North By Northwest
2.Vertigo
3.Rear Window
4.Strangers On A Train
5.Rebecca
6.Lifeboat
7.The Birds
8.Psycho
9.Dial M For Murder
10.Frenzy

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 109
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/11/2009 7:38:03 PM   
elab49

space for Frenzy, but not films like Shadow of a Doubt? Lady Vanishes? etc.

Sorry - I think Frenzy was when Hitchcock tried to get hip and let himself go to far in putting fetishes on screen and forgetting the power in "not showing".

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 110
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 6/11/2009 9:13:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

I don't think a great deal of Frenzy myself [despite a few brilliant scenes], there's something seriously lacking in his last four films, I can't quite put my finger on it. He just didn't seem totally engaged.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 111
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 7/11/2009 11:34:10 AM   
elab49

I used to wonder if he'd been listening to the French revere him too much - so the sense he used to know when it was going too far and wasn't working kind of switched off. I definitely felt that in Frenzy - he put too much personal predilection on screen and forgot to think just about what worked for the film. It was, in a way, too sleazy.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 112
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/11/2009 9:58:45 PM   
JohnChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

space for Frenzy, but not films like Shadow of a Doubt? Lady Vanishes? etc.

Sorry - I think Frenzy was when Hitchcock tried to get hip and let himself go to far in putting fetishes on screen and forgetting the power in "not showing".

My IMDb review will hopefully explain why I hold Frenzy in good regard..

Chillingly humorous Hitchcock piece of work.

I hadn't seen this film since about 1979 and since the GF expressed an interest in watching it I thought it a good idea to reevaluate it post haste. As a proud Englishman it gave me great pleasure to see the Master back in England capturing the English time frame of London perfectly, for the film to work we really need to get the vibe of the place and to believe in the characters who frequent the area, I feel Hitch delivers this no problem at all. The story stands up as genuine thriller material, some crazy fruit loop is strangling women with neck ties and the police are trailing the wrong man............sound familiar ?, well yes it is, but Hitch being Hitch, he manages to bring dashes of humour to go with the tense taut terror unfolding on the screen.

The cast do fine here, and I do believe that the fact that none of the actors are top draw names actually helps the film bring out an uneasy feel, here the interesting fleshing of the characters is one of Hitchcock's great strengths in this particular piece. The villain of the piece stands up as one of the best because he could easily be your best mate, someone you readily turn to in times of need, yet strip away that facade and you get the savage murdering rapist that Hitchcock takes great delight in assaulting our eyes with.

lovely...lovely...LOVELY....LOVELY !

Although its rating here is around 7.5 I have always been led to believe that Frenzy wasn't all that well thought of, tales of America refusing to embrace the film because of its London sensibility, and tired old arguments about the great man being past his peak etc. I have no idea if any of those statements are true, but what I personally know is that Frenzy is a very good film that had me squirming and laughing in equal measure, so with that its just shy of being a Hitchcock classic, but it stands up as better than what most other thriller directors could hope to have achieved back then.

8/10

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 113
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/11/2009 12:30:17 AM   
MI Cruise

1. Rear Window
2. Psycho
3. North by Northwest
4. Vertigo
5. The Birds

My top 5 Hitchcock movies.

I also like Rope and Notorious and they would come in 6th and 7th place.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 114
RE: Top Ten Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/11/2009 12:34:54 AM   
MI Cruise

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

I don't think a great deal of Frenzy myself [despite a few brilliant scenes], there's something seriously lacking in his last four films, I can't quite put my finger on it. He just didn't seem totally engaged.

Well Torn Curtain didn't have a good enough plot for me and Julie Andrews and Paul Newman were just wasted.
Topaz was the hardest for me to sit through, I attempted to watch this movie 4 times and only getting up to the first 10 minutes before getting bored. I finally got it watched on the 5th try.
Frenzy had probably one good scene otherwise I would call that one of Hitch's worst movie along with Topaz.
Family Plot isn't a great movie either but after watching the previous 3 I was not expecting Hitch to go off with a bang but at least with a decent plot and thats what Family Plot is, the story may not be good but it still manages to keep you entertained.

< Message edited by MI Cruise -- 9/11/2009 12:36:57 AM >

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 115
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/11/2009 12:48:25 AM   
L.B. Jefferies

1. Vertigo - 5/5
2. Shadow of a Doubt - 5/5
3. The 39 Steps - 5/5
4. Rear Window - 5/5
5. The Lady Vanishes 5/5

I wouldn't rate anything by Hitchcock under a 3.5 / 5

Studio B.

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 116
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/11/2009 6:59:46 PM   
sanchia

I would personally put Mr and Mrs Smith as a 2.5 maximum.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to L.B. Jefferies)
Post #: 117
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/11/2009 12:58:26 PM   
Edward Nygma

Love Psycho, love The Birds and Rope but I'm gonna have to go with Vertigo as my favourite.
Vertigo just encompasses everything great about Hitchcock's films: it's stylish, dark, suspenseful, unpredictable, romantic, incredibly clever...it's just a masterpiece.

Spellbound is hilarious.

Ben. Affleck.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 118
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/1/2010 10:55:15 AM   
JIm R

Watched 'The Wrong Man' (1956) at weekend on BBC 2, enjoyable way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

A bit 'by the numbers' but still enough built suspense and emotion that most films fail to produce.

Excellent Fonda performance.

(in reply to Edward Nygma)
Post #: 119
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/3/2010 8:15:03 AM   
Illuminated

I started watching the Hitchcock box set over christmas - was nice to stay in and just relax. I think my favourite would have to be Rear Window, the pace of the movie and the characters involved are timeless. This movie really made an impact on me.
Was doing some research the other day and found this video on youtube of Hitchcock cameos - I never even realised!! Its a great short film - and I garauntee most of you will be pleasantly suprised!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW6Rdiqlg2E

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI