Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/1/2009 3:24:43 PM   
Peppermint

I saw The Wrong Man again yesterday and I have to say it's not one of my favourites.  It's reasonably entertaining, but there's not much suspense in it, imo and I didn't like the whiney Rose character.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 61
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/1/2009 12:25:04 AM   
8mike7

Alfred Hitchcock is my favorite director, my favorite films by him are Vertigo, Psycho, North By Northwest and Rear Window

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 62
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 23/1/2009 11:47:05 AM   
Timon

Watched the 1935 version of The 39 Steps. Very enjoyable albeit heavily adapted. One question though, why did the villain (short fingered man) shoot The Memory Man at the end? There goes the important secret he's been trying very hard to smuggle out the country!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to 8mike7)
Post #: 63
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 24/1/2009 5:07:01 PM   
Psychotic angel

I think Hitchcock directed many good films. My favorite? Perhaps Rear Window. 

"FAT BITCH!" "CRAPSUCKING TURDS!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/2/2009 4:59:11 PM   
PB~!

At the minute my favourite isShadow of a Doubt, but I'm not an expert by any means.

no guilt in life, no fear in death

Check out my Hitchcockian Adventure in Lists and Top 10's
http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2209701

(in reply to Psychotic angel)
Post #: 65
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/2/2009 5:22:52 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: PB~!

At the minute my favourite isShadow of a Doubt, but I'm not an expert by any means.

That cropped up in Vicky Cristina Barcelona the other day: excellent film. Shadow of a Doubt, that is.

My favourite Hitchcock movie is The Lady Vanishes.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to PB~!)
Post #: 66
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/2/2009 5:29:15 PM   
Rinc

I've been watching a few Hitchcocks lately for the first time and have also rewatched a few. I'm finding it hard to decide which one is my favourite. I'll have to give The Lady Vanishes a go as i've never seen that.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 67
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/2/2009 5:25:44 PM   
Mason Verger

BBC - BBC Four Programmes - Paul Merton Looks at Alfred Hitchcock

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 68
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/6/2009 1:35:43 AM   
MartyW

Alfred Hitchcock was really a master at what he did. My most favourites so far from hitchcock have got to be The 39 Steps, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, Vertigo, North By Northwest and Psycho.

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 69
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/6/2009 12:16:06 PM   
Bickle

I've been slowly working my way through a couple of Hitchcock boxsets and this is how I'd rate the ones I've watched...

Vertigo 10/10
Rear Window 10/10
Strangers On A Train 9/10
Rope 8/10
Dial M For Murder 8/10
The Wrong Man 7/10

(in reply to MartyW)
Post #: 70
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/6/2009 1:53:54 PM   
MartinBlank76

My faves...

1. The 39 Steps
2. Rear Window
3. Rope
4. The Lady Vanishes
5. Rebecca

Bubbling under...

Mr and Mrs Smith
North by Northwest
Marnie

Need to watch again (its been so long)

Psycho
Vertigo

Like but dont love...

Saboteur
I confess

Wasnt overly impressed with last time I watched them...

Shadow of a doubt
Strangers on a train

Have to watch...

The rest of them. Though it is possible I did see some of them in my younger years on saturday afternoon on BBC2, I just cant remember...

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 71
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 18/6/2009 2:52:24 PM   
Rich Empire

Hi there,
I watched "Marnie" the other day on high recommendation from a mate.
It's absolutely great!!!
Sean connery as I've never seen him before.
Fantastic!

Hope all is well.

The Dude abides...

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 72
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 19/6/2009 10:10:26 PM   
Dr Lenera

Marhie is extroadinary,so beautiful,intense and disturbing. It tends to divide people like few other Hitchcock films do. Tippi Hedren's performance is in my view one of the most underrated in the history of the cinema.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Rich Empire)
Post #: 73
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2009 2:40:49 PM   
Ultimo Lee

So far seen

Rear Window (1954) *****
North by Northwest (1959) *****
Dial M for Murder (1954) *****
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) ****
Strangers on a Train (1951) ****
To Catch a Thief (1955) ****
Psycho (1960) ****
Marnie (1964) ****
Shadow of a Doubt (1943) ****
Rope (1948) ****
Notorious (1946) ***1/2
Frenzy (1972) ***1/2
The Birds (1963) ***1/2
Saboteur (1942) ***1/2
Lifeboat (1944) ***1/2
Blackmail (1929) ***
The Lady Vanishes (1938) ***
The 39 Steps (1935) ***
Torn Curtain (1966)  **
Young and Innocent (1937) **
Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) *
The Paradine Case (1947) *

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 74
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2009 5:11:30 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ultimo Lee

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (1941) *
The Paradine Case (1947) *

I definitely agree with those two. Mr and Mrs Smith is an awful comedy which shows why he never did any more (other than injecting some black comedy into his films) and the Paradine Case is poorly handled with a snail slow pace and a rather bland plot.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Ultimo Lee)
Post #: 75
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2009 10:33:45 PM   
Rinc

I've managed to see:

The Lodger (1927) - 6/10
Blackmail (1929) - 5/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) - 6/10
The 39 Steps (1935) - 7/10
The Lady Vanishes (1938) - 6/10
Rebecca (1940) - 5/10
Shadoe of a Doubt (1943) - 6/10
Notorious (1946) - 7/10
Rope (1948) - 7/10
Stage Fright (1950) - 6/10
Strangers on a Train (1951) - 6/10
I Confess (1953) - 5/10
Dial M For Murder (1954) - 7/10
Rear Window (1954) - 8/10
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - 7/10
The Wrong Man (1956) - 7/10
Vertigo (1958) - 6/10
North By Northwest (1959) - 7/10
Psycho (1960) - 7/10
The Birds (1963) - 8/10

8/10 and 7/10 are great marks in my ratings system so don't think i don't like him!

Still really want to see Marnie, Saboteur, To Catch a Thief and Spellbound.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 76
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/6/2009 11:22:20 PM   
sanchia

I don't rate Spellbound too highly myself although there are some great visuals in it but it is a bit too tied down by the psychotherapy which limits it a bit to much (I prefer High Anxiety )

I presently have Jamica Inn, Secret Agent and Topaz pending on my shelf although I do not have high hopes for any of them if I am honest.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 77
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 22/6/2009 12:27:18 AM   
MartyW

Ive seen a bit of Topaz when it came on T.V, cant say it held my interest very well though....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 78
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 5/7/2009 2:54:25 PM   
Dr Lenera

Topaz is one of his worst films in my opinion,I adore Hitchcock but everyone has their off days,especially someone who has made as many films as Hitch! Topaz has a complex plot which sometimes holds the interest and a couple of good scenes,but it's mostly cold and dull,actually gets pretty tedious towards the end,and finishes with a whimper. I don't think he really cared about the film.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to MartyW)
Post #: 79
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 7/7/2009 3:21:35 PM   
LilyT08

The only Hitchcock film I've seen is Rear Window, and i absolutely adored it!
Definitely will be watching some more of his movies!

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 80
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 7/7/2009 3:37:22 PM   
elab49

Your other lists suggested you liked the more romantic type, Lily - perhaps try Notorious or North by Northwest next?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to LilyT08)
Post #: 81
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 7/7/2009 3:42:24 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: LilyT08

Is there anybody who hasn't liked Rear Window? I usually put down its nigh on universal appeal to the idea that it is very easy for the viewer to put him- (or her-)self into the position of Jeff, even if we don't have a girlfriend who looks anything like Grace Kelly. We aren't all likely to be Roger Thornhill, an advertising executive chased across America for a macguffin, or Ben McKenna who's child has been kidnapped in Marakech, but we've all got a room window and have wondered what happens on the outside. Jeff isn't even dynamic (he can't be with that leg) or particularly intelligent, he's just very, very nosey and therefore a great canvas for us all to project our own personalities on. And while we are a species that has to live in societies to survive it doesn't stop us being naturally cautious and wary of our neighbours, a very basic well of fear that Hitch drinks deeply from.

Despite a recent watching I still wouldn't rate it as one of Hitchcock's best 5 films. My main complaint being that the characters are too flat and we have one of his clearest definitions between good and bad, but I can't deny that it seems to have a universal appeal.

(in reply to LilyT08)
Post #: 82
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 7/7/2009 8:43:18 PM   
Bickle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Is there anybody who hasn't liked Rear Window? I usually put down its nigh on universal appeal to the idea that it is very easy for the viewer to put him- (or her-)self into the position of Jeff, even if we don't have a girlfriend who looks anything like Grace Kelly. We aren't all likely to be Roger Thornhill, an advertising executive chased across America for a macguffin, or Ben McKenna who's child has been kidnapped in Marakech, but we've all got a room window and have wondered what happens on the outside. Jeff isn't even dynamic (he can't be with that leg) or particularly intelligent, he's just very, very nosey and therefore a great canvas for us all to project our own personalities on. And while we are a species that has to live in societies to survive it doesn't stop us being naturally cautious and wary of our neighbours, a very basic well of fear that Hitch drinks deeply from.

Despite a recent watching I still wouldn't rate it as one of Hitchcock's best 5 films. My main complaint being that the characters are too flat and we have one of his clearest definitions between good and bad, but I can't deny that it seems to have a universal appeal.

That's very well put But I disagree about there being a clear definition between good and bad. There's a lot of moral ambiguity in the film (is what Jeff is doing wrong?) and it's not clear for a long time that the neighbour has done anything bad.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 83
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/7/2009 10:10:33 PM   
LilyT08

I'll definitely be looking up Notorious (with Ingrid Bergman?) and North by Northwest, coincidentally they have all been showing recently on sky movies. I'll be watching out for them. 

(in reply to Bickle)
Post #: 84
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/7/2009 10:08:42 PM   
siegfried

quote:

I'll definitely be looking up Notorious (with Ingrid Bergman?) and North by Northwest, coincidentally they have all been showing recently on sky movies. I'll be watching out for them. 

If you enjoy Notorious (and I'm sure you will), I'd suggest you also take a look at Spellbound and Suspicion.
The Lady Vanishes, one of his last films before going to Hollywood, is a delightful blend of humour, romance and suspense.
And then there's Rebecca, one of the greatest romantic dramas of all time, with superb performances from Joan Fontaine, Laurence Olivier, George Sanders and especially the great Judith Anderson. Don't miss out on that whatever you do.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to LilyT08)
Post #: 85
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 11/7/2009 1:59:37 PM   
LilyT08

I'll be keeping a look out for them!
Thanks

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 86
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 11/7/2009 11:07:26 PM   
Tank Boy

I just picked up a 6-film Hitchcock boxset in a sale-there's also a 14-film boxset going cheap which I plan to get! So far, I've watched Stage Fright and Strangers On A Train. Stage Fright is maybe a little underrated-I mean, it's not top-flight Hitch, but it's got a lot of lovely scenes and great performances. Strangers On A Train is excellent, packed with classic Hitchcock moments!

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to LilyT08)
Post #: 87
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 12/7/2009 4:09:57 PM   
harryfielder

FRENZY…Director…Alfred Hitchcock…
I am now working with the Master of filming.
Where I was born in Islington London, there was a huge warehouse type building on the corner of the Grand Union Canal in New North Road. (Very near the North Pole Pub)
It was in fact a film studio. As a kid in the forties I used to swim in the canal as it cost nothing entrance fee. (You had to watch out for the large Mocking birds floating on top of the water)
I think the studio was called Gainsborough and as a kid I remember strangely dressed people popping into the pub on the corner of New North Road and Elizabeth Avenue. (Supporting Artists of the past)
Anyway, that’s where Alfred Hitchcock made many of his films.
(I could have bumped into him while I was going swimming and he was popping in for a swift half. It’s a small world)
ONTO THE FILM…
I was now the not so proud owner of an old Bedford van and was booked by the 2nd A.D. on Frenzy to report to Covent Garden fruit market for the start of a weeks work...
There must have been fifty supporting artists working that week as market porters.
It was thirty years ago but some people still come to mind, like Big Mo Dunster who was stand/in on films for Donald Sutherland. Jimmy (the crow) Hammilton, Eddie Dillon And Bill (the body) Hemmings.
I remember the day that Donald Sutherland came down to speak to Mo about a private matter and got into one of the shots.(Everyone wants to be in a Hitchcock movie)
Mo has done well for himself and now lives in the U.S.A. looking after the Sutherland clan. Best wishes Mo, love Boysie.
Mr. Hitchcock was not very well while he was directing this film and would line up all the shots he wanted and leave the running around to his 1st A.D. (Colin Brewer, I think)
We filmed all around the market for the next week or so loading vans and unloading vans (Including my old Bedford) but I was more interested in watching the Master at work. Then near the end of the shoot in the market it happened.
The Master looked at me then at the 1st A.D. and said…
‘’Tell that man to climb up on that lorry and start unloading it’’
(‘’That man’’) he said my name, I was being directed by the great man himself.
We shot a lot of the inside of the film at Pinewood. Then some stuff with the Bedford Following a potato lorry up and down major roads and that was it.
I was sorry to see the end of the filming but it’s one film I will never forget.
If you’re looking down from that great studio in the sky Mr. Hitchcock ‘’That Man’’ will say hello when he gets there.
Aitch,

See Harry Fielder IMDB.
http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0276092
''We pass this way but once''

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 88
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/7/2009 12:28:28 AM   
Tank Boy

Finished off my Hitch boxset: I Confess, Dial M For Murder, The Wrong Man and North By Northwest. The man had a lot of range!

(in reply to harryfielder)
Post #: 89
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 28/7/2009 3:19:45 AM   
Tank Boy

Watched Jamaica Inn the other night. Not exactly classic Hitch, but it's atmospheric and has wonderfully roguish characters, not to mention Charles Laughton!

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI