Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/6/2008 1:58:14 PM   
El Becks

Rear Window is definitely my favourite (as well as loving Hitchcock, James Stewart is one of my favourite actors); love every aspect of the film, the cinematography, the real feeling of a hot summer, the main character stuck in his apartment with a broken leg and nothing to do but spy on his neighbours through their open windows across the way in the apartment block.  Doesn't sound like it would be great from that brief synopsis but the story just grips you as you see everything unfold; the story is so full of suspense and you can feel the panic as the denouement unfolds.

Also love Rope, Psycho (first Hitchcock I ever watched), Dial M for Murder, The 39 Steps, Rebecca, Strangers on a Train (though it disappoints me that Hitchcock chickened out of sticking with the ending as it was originally written) and I Confess (with the beautiful Montgomery Clift).  Not really a fan of the films with Tippi Hedren and Kim Novak.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 31
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/6/2008 2:25:27 PM   
t_bell

1. Rope
2. Psycho
3. The Birds
4. Vertigo
5. Rear Window

But all 5 star films.

'Hamburgers! The cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast.'

Last 5 Films Seen:
1. Quantum Of Solace 3/5
2. Battle For Haditha 3/5
3. Hellboy 3/5
4. Shrek 4/5
5. Zoolander 3/5

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 32
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/6/2008 9:12:11 AM   
Fritz Lang

1.Vertigo
2.Psycho
3.Rear Window
4.Strangers on a Train
5.Rebecca

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? You had a bad day and everything changed.

(in reply to t_bell)
Post #: 33
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/6/2008 2:59:42 PM   
matthewforan

1. Rear Window
2. Rope
3. The Birds
4. Psycho
5. Vertigo

Rope is an underrated classic my sister and I both think so, but I had to pick Rear Window it's a great film it's far too good to ignore.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Fritz Lang)
Post #: 34
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/6/2008 3:19:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm a little lost on the love that The Rope is getting, but each to their own.

I find it an interesting experiment in film-making that doesn't quite come off, though fair dues to Hitch for trying it.  And the story is to me mediocre, though I think some people are enjoying the related psychology much more than I do. 

My top 5 Hitchcock would be:
- Vertigo
- North by Northwest
- Psycho
- Notorious
- Rear Window

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 35
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/6/2008 3:48:29 PM   
matthewforan

Never seen Notorious, i've got 11 of his films wondering if anyone can recommend me anymore for me to get my hands on

Rope
The Birds
Psycho
Rear Window
North By Northwest
Vertigo
Topaz
Frenzy
Sabateur
Shadow of a Doubt
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Torn Curtain

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 36
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/6/2008 3:54:00 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I like Notorious, its one of Cary Grant's more serious turns and Claude Rains is fantastic too.

The 39 Steps (1935) and The Lady Vanishes (1938) are both well worth a watch if you've never seen them.  A great deal of suspense with some lighter moments to enjoy. 

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 37
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/6/2008 8:37:45 PM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The 39 Steps (1935) and The Lady Vanishes (1938) are both well worth a watch if you've never seen them.  A great deal of suspense with some lighter moments to enjoy. 

I like those 2 also.
I can also recommend the original version of The Man Who Knew Too Much

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 38
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/7/2008 12:39:01 AM   
Jackal

Here's me thinking I'd already posted in this thread. Evidently not...

Anyhoo, I love Hitchcock's filums!

My favourite seems to be a popular choice; Rear Window. I love the atmosphere of it and the lighting (similar to Rope's, only bigger). It's a great premise for a movie as well - suspecting your neighbour of killing his wife and disposing of the evidence bit by bit. I also love how it pretty much the whole film takes place in Jefferies's flat. I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it but there's a bit which has you on the edge. "Tense as fuck", would be the technical term, me thinks.

Another favourite of mine is the seemingly under-rated Dial M for Murder. I say "under-rated" since it doesn't appear on too many folks' lists of his best films. It shares some similarities with Rear Window, regarding space and tension. I don't think it's as good as Rear Window but it still makes for enjoyable watching. Was I the only one rooting for Tony, by the way?

Then there's North by Northwest. It was the first Hitchcock film I saw and it remains one of my all-time favourite films. I could watch it every day. Cary Grant is effortlessly cool, even when being chased by goons, the police, or a fecking crop-dusting plane.  Eva Marie-Saint is slightly on the annoying side but there's always the (also) ever-cool James Mason to counter her.

Honourable mentions to Psycho, Strangers on a Train, Rope and The 39 Steps.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 39
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 2/7/2008 6:13:57 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I think i may have already posted on this thread i'm not sure. Anyway here's my list
Psycho
Rear Window
Vertigo
The Man Who Knew Too Much (50's)
Marnie
The Birds
The 39 Steps
I will watch heaps more when i can find the movies. Hitch is a legend.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 40
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 2/7/2008 4:09:39 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Lifeboat (1945) Having read a lot of comments on what happens when people are put under stress in close proximity in Darabont's The Mist I went back to the classic of this type of movie making, with probably the cheapest set ever made.  I think it shows what a class act Hitchcock is that he's able to wring so much tension and drama from such a relatively simple concept.  Several themes are re-explored in Flight of the Phoenix twenty years later, but this is well worth a watch.  On release panned for being too pro-German during the war.  And then on later review panned for being too pro-American.  Now I think it can be recognised as a great film, if not one of Hitchcock's very best.

4/5

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 27/7/2008 7:14:32 PM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 41
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/7/2008 5:34:08 PM   
The third Jake

Greatest. Director. Ever.

Hitchcock was a genius and recognized the true power of cinema. It speaks volumes of his talent that you can actually watch his work with the sound off and basically still follow the plot. His talent for visual storytelling was second to none and he was capable of distilling cinema in it's purest form. I reckon he would have despised this MTV-inspired, unwatchable bullshit that passes for contemporary cinema. 

Screw it... at least we've still got Brian De Palma out there banging the drum.

Post #: 42
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/7/2008 6:49:13 PM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: The third Jake

Hitchcock was a genius and recognized the true power of cinema. It speaks volumes of his talent that you can actually watch his work with the sound off and basically still follow the plot. His talent for visual storytelling was second to none and he was capable of distilling cinema in it's purest form. I reckon he would have despised this MTV-inspired, unwatchable bullshit that passes for contemporary cinema. 

you made a good point until you got to De Palma

(in reply to The third Jake)
Post #: 43
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 29/7/2008 3:56:19 PM   
The third Jake

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

you made a good point until you got to De Palma

So many De Palma haters... I can never quite grasp how people can disregard the quality of Obsession, Carrie, Dressed To Kill, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, and Carlito's Way. While I accept that many of De Palma's themes and much of his Grammar are directly lifted from Hitch', I reckon he is responsible for some of the most visually impressive sequences committed to film in the last thirty years. For me, his body of work is a celebration of all the things that cinema should be, pure, visual storytelling.

Just what is it about De Palma that you dislike?

Apart from the dodgy performances of course

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 44
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 29/7/2008 8:08:45 PM   
elab49

quote:

So many De Palma haters... I can never quite grasp how people can disregard the quality of Obsession, Carrie, Dressed To Kill, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, and Carlito's Way. While I accept that many of De Palma's themes and much of his Grammar are directly lifted from Hitch', I reckon he is responsible for some of the most visually impressive sequences committed to film in the last thirty years. For me, his body of work is a celebration of all the things that cinema should be, pure, visual storytelling.

Because people aren't persuaded as to the level of quality you see in them I guess. Generally his work his tacky and derivative with only a few bright spots. See the Scarface thread in the Movie Trial forum to get an idea of just how much many people loathe the crap that is Scarface. The more desperate he gets to ape Hitchcock the worse his movies become.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 29/7/2008 8:09:37 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 45
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 29/7/2008 10:32:04 PM   
The third Jake

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Because people aren't persuaded as to the level of quality you see in them I guess. Generally his work his tacky and derivative with only a few bright spots. See the Scarface thread in the Movie Trial forum to get an idea of just how much many people loathe the crap that is Scarface. The more desperate he gets to ape Hitchcock the worse his movies become.

I accept that many people feel differently than I do about De Palma I'm just always interested in the reasons why as, for me, he is too often dismissed as derivative without proper consideration.

I tend to agree that plot and performance are often below par and 'tacky' but I don't think these are his priorities. I think as a filmmaker he is more concerned with exploring and experimenting with the language of cinema and for this reason I have great respect for his work. While, admittedly other areas of his films suffer because of this obsession I am more than willing to sit through any amount of cardboard performances if it means he continues to idulge and experiment in this way.

For me he is hands down the most technically gifted filmmaker working today and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves. I also don't think it is fair to call any of his films 'crap' as they are better than average based on their technical merits alone.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/11/2008 4:26:31 AM   
save_ferris

Top 5

Dial M For Murder
Rear Window
Shadow Of A Doubt
North By Northwest
Rope

Post #: 47
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/11/2008 2:07:24 PM   
The Scientist

Hard to choose favourites, but Rebecca and the more typically Hitchcock Vertigo stand out.  Hitchcock was a true cinematic artist, along with Orson Welles.

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

(in reply to save_ferris)
Post #: 48
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/11/2008 2:26:38 PM   
impqueen

A Top 5?

Vertigo
Rear Window
Notorious (haven’t watched this year)
North by Northwest
The 39 Steps/ Psycho (haven’t watched this year)

Rebecca (haven’t watched this year)
The Lady Vanishes (haven’t watched this year)
Rope (a film I initially disliked due to characterisation)
Strangers on a Train
The Lodger
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

I’ve also found that over the years my “favourite” has changed:  

11-12- The Birds
12-15- Rear Window
15-17- Psycho
17-20- Rebecca
20-22-Vertigo
22-23- Notorious

23/24- Vertigo

Suffice to say I pretty much like most  Hitchcock I even like Marnie and have massive soft spots for Dial M for Murder, Mr and Mrs Smith, The Wrong Man and Saboteur. I’m less likely to watch Under Capricorn, Lifeboat and somewhat “controversially” (in my house) To Catch a Thief and I adore Cary Grant…  

Yes, always.

(in reply to The Scientist)
Post #: 49
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/11/2008 2:48:05 AM   
LittleRififi

The 39 Steps
...my Favorite thriller of his aIve seen so far...
Ive seen Rope. The Birds, Psycho and he Lady Vanishes too... but I cant make
a list yet since so many reccomended Hitchcock films are in my
"to watch" pile... Gotto stop procrasinating

"Death is at the bottom of everything, leave death to the professionals" -- Major Calloway

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 50
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/11/2008 10:25:12 AM   
FGT

Wow...so many to choose from.

North by Northwest....from the opening credit fade in to the Mount Rushmore finale it's just great. Great cast, settings and that score...
Strangers on a train
The wrong man
The Birds
Psycho
Vertigo....I was going to have 5 but I couldn't decide bewteen The Birds and Psycho

What would Dexter do?

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 51
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/11/2008 12:14:32 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen
I'm less likely to watch Under Capricorn, Lifeboat and somewhat "controversially” (in my house) To Catch a Thief and I adore Cary Grant…  

To be fair you are only going to watch To Catch a Thief because Grant, Kelly and the French Riviera all look sumptuous, but there's very little story behind it.

My current top 5:
- Notorious
- North by Northwest
- Shadow of a Doubt
- Vertigo
- The Lady Vanishes

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 52
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/11/2008 1:12:02 PM   
FGT

I'll admit it.....I don't like 'To catch a thief'

There......I've said it. Mind you Grace does look stunning in that golden dress

What would Dexter do?

Post #: 53
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/11/2008 5:24:34 PM   
fairyprincess

if you have'nt see at least one hitch then you've no right to say " i like films" end of story. the fist time i ever saw psycho was when one of my teachers showed it to us in primary school. marnie is my current fav. (though it's hard to believe theres a goldfinger era connary movie where he can't get laid.) also. Psycho, the trouble with harry, & Rope  

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to FGT)
Post #: 54
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 25/11/2008 2:43:11 PM   
JIm R

My 14 disc collection is my most coverted in my entire collection, the opportunity to pick up a genuis' work on a winters afternoon is great.

My favourite for a host of reasons I think is Vertigo, one of Stewart's finest performances, the cinematography, the colours, the editing, the pace, the locations, it all comes together seemlessly. A work of art.

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 55
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/12/2008 4:59:06 PM   
richCie

well i have now watched a grand total of 3 Hitchcock films.
first one ( a fair while ago, few months or so) was Strangers On A Train. whilst enjoyable and certainly well-acted i felt the premise (which is so delicoulsy immense) had better potential. in all 4*'s.
i then spent the next few months looking at the 14 film collection boxset in it's varying degrees of value of money and telling myself i should buy.
then i noticed in my college library a couple weeks back they had Psycho.
needless to say the day after i'd brought the very same boxset off ebay.
Psycho was brilliant, norman bates being one of the most demented killers ever. whilst the murders have certainly lost their punch the set-up was flawless.
it is by any measure a superb film, and i then had the worrying feeling that i'd probably watched his best film.

i was wrong.
Rear Window....Wow. *spoilers follow*
exceptional is the ebst word for it. Sure the ending when he's getting pushed out of the window looks awful but that really doesnt matter. the script is brilliant and the directing except for the scene i mentioned is a marvel. Hitchcok definately deserves the accolade of "master of suspense".

i'm very much looking forward to watching the rest of his films i have so far.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 56
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/12/2008 7:02:31 PM   
Timon

Did anyone else watch the double bill of Suspicion and Notorious on BBC2 yesterday? Cary Grant was such a delightful bastard in Suspicion, it's just a shame the ending seemed rather hollow. You can't help but feel the censors of the time prevented Hitchcock from putting a much darker twist on the end.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 57
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/12/2008 11:57:45 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Did anyone else watch the double bill of Suspicion and Notorious on BBC2 yesterday? Cary Grant was such a delightful bastard in Suspicion, it's just a shame the ending seemed rather hollow. You can't help but feel the censors of the time prevented Hitchcock from putting a much darker twist on the end.

I was asleep for Suspicion (which annoyed me because I set my alarm to get for it) but I did catch Notorious. I have to say it was brilliant. Final shot is a stonker.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/1/2009 10:35:28 PM   
fairyprincess

anyone watch spellbound yesterday? i need to find that film on dvd. it's a lot more sentimental then hitch's other stuff. His other films (the one's ive seen, anyway.) have more of a "sex" element between it's lead's. it's refreshing to find one with a more romantic angle.

Matter of life& death, spirited away, Little mermaid, carry on camping, Amelie, Ed wood, Hairspray(2007), Casablanca, an affair to remember, phantom of the opera (2005)

(in reply to Macavity)
Post #: 59
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/1/2009 1:10:23 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: fairyprincess

anyone watch spellbound yesterday? i need to find that film on dvd. it's a lot more sentimental then hitch's other stuff. His other films (the one's ive seen, anyway.) have more of a "sex" element between it's lead's. it's refreshing to find one with a more romantic angle.

A touch too tied up with the Freudianism for my tastes. It has a decent enough plot but the whole psychoanalysm aspect left me a touch cold.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to fairyprincess)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI