Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 2/10/2005 12:45:10 PM   
Dick Jones

The Master of Suspense.

Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980)

Alfred Hitchcock is possibly the greatest of all directors. And he was British. Although the Americans nicked him. But we got Kubrick in exchange. So it was a fair swap. Anyway....

With more than 50 movies spanning several decades, it would be hard to pick a favourite. But feel free to try anyway.

< Message edited by Dick Jones -- 2/10/2005 1:32:27 PM >

'Don't worry darling, its just a hat, belonging to a small headed man of limited means, who lost a fight with a chicken. '
Post #: 1
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/1/2006 11:14:50 AM   
MF DOOM

This is all I've seen so far so this is how they stand at the moment.

1) Psycho 5/5
2) The Birds 5/5
3) Rebecca 5/5
4) Dial M For Murder 5/5
5) Rope 5/5
6) Vertigo 5/5
7) North By Northwest 5/5
8) Rear Window 5/5
9) Strangers on a Train 5/5
10) Lifeboat 4/5
11) Trouble with Harry 4/5
12) Young and Innocent 4/5
13) The 39 Steps 4/5
14) Jamaica Inn 4/5
15) Saboteur 3/5
16) The Wrong Man 3/5
17) To Catch a Thief 3/5
18) Rich And Strange 3/5
19) Sabotage 3/5
20) The Skin Game 2/5

"History is a lie agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Post #: 2
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/1/2006 10:58:18 PM   
Casserine

I've only seen Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Rebecca, Dial M For Murder, Strangers on a Train and North by Northwest. I loved all of them.

I'd like to get some sort of Hitchcock boxset. I'm sure there's a couple of these on the market. Anybody know of the best one to get in terms of price/content etc? Thanks.

[URL]http://catherine-mixedupfiles.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Post #: 3
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/1/2006 10:49:48 AM   
MF DOOM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Casserine

I've only seen Psycho, The Birds, Rear Window, Rebecca, Dial M For Murder, Strangers on a Train and North by Northwest. I loved all of them.

I'd like to get some sort of Hitchcock boxset. I'm sure there's a couple of these on the market. Anybody know of the best one to get in terms of price/content etc? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Movie-Collection-Boxset-34-DVD_W0QQitemZ6472889720QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

< Message edited by MF Doom -- 10/1/2006 10:50:20 AM >

(in reply to Casserine)
Post #: 4
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 10/1/2006 1:37:07 PM   
NadaPlissken

My favourites would be:

Rear Window
Rope
The 39 Steps (Donat)
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest

The Birds is unfairly trashed, as is Torn Curtain.  Both are fun films.

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to MF DOOM)
Post #: 5
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 5/2/2006 2:06:30 PM   
DanielFullard

Another fan of Rope...always good to see

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 6
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 8/2/2006 2:17:49 PM   
DanielFullard

Stage Fright is being shown in Sky Cineam a lot both today and tomorrow if you want to catch it. Its worth the watch

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 7
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/2/2006 3:36:00 PM   
LostLvr

Hitchcock's films are bar none such fantastic thrillers, it's hard to choose just one, but here are a few of my favorites:  Rope, The Birds, Vertigo, Psycho,  North by Northwest, Rear Window, with Rear Window and Psycho tie for first place in my book . 

'I think a person can have you at gunpoint whether or not they have a gun.'
Post #: 8
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/2/2006 2:36:07 PM   
MF DOOM

quote:

Strangers on a Train
quote:

ORIGINAL: NadaPlissken

My favourites would be:

Rear Window
Rope
The 39 Steps (Donat)
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest

The Birds is unfairly trashed, as is Torn Curtain.  Both are fun films.

The birds is trashed? by who

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 9
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/2/2006 7:35:24 PM   
B. Jenet

I haven't seen a lot of his films (i have a lot on tape which i haven't seen yet), but it's hard to pick a favorite.It would be a tie between Vertigo and Rear Window. What's Stage Fright like by the way? I've always wanted to see that movie.

We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

icon by ponyboy on livejournal

(in reply to MF DOOM)
Post #: 10
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/2/2006 8:04:27 PM   
directorscut

Like even the lesser of Hitchcock's Stage Fright is still very entertaining and well worth watching. Jane Wyman and Marlene Dietrich are excellent together onscreen.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to B. Jenet)
Post #: 11
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/3/2006 12:56:17 PM   
Squave

BLACKMAIL   I think this may have been Hitchcock's first venture into sound in films. Although there are the more 'classical' Hitchcock films like Vertigo and Psycho this is my favourite as basically its both intruiging and entertaining. Also, I am a big fan of modern films and it was great to see so many cliches that are used in modern films, probably used for the first time in this movie.    My 2 favourite shots are, firstly  in the interrogation scene where Hitchcock used a shot of one cigatette in an ashtray turn into many cigarettes in an ashtray to resemble the frustration and the passing of time. This is shear  genius. And has been repeated many thimes over in almost every interrogation scene since.   Secondly, Hitchcock conjurs up an epic camera shot as the 2 mai characters climb 6 sets of stairs - he follows them up as they walk paning upwards, but not on the stairs. Its very hard to explain, but if you've seen the film you know ehat I mean.   Anyway, has anyone else seen the film? What are your thoughts?   I would definately recommend it if you want osmething tense, suspenseful and enjoyable. And lets face - who doesn't.

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 12
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 27/4/2006 8:32:47 AM   
Mobin

Hmmm Difficult.... I think North by NorthWest is the best for me. Cary Grant is on top form in that film as he always is!! It has alot of Twists and turns which make it very good and full of suspense. I still have'nt seen Phsyco which I really need to do because it's a classic films judging by the recommendations it's recieved on this forum!

"Listen Lady, If we don't get these people to a hospital they're going to die"
"A Hospital...................What is it?"
"A big building full of patients but that's not important right now!"
(Airplane)

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 13
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/4/2006 6:46:14 PM   
Empitomezzo

Here I am!

He has been hailed the master of suspense. He said that “Drama was just life with the dull bits left out.” And, despite the uber-elitist AFI hailing him one of the best directors of all time, I still greatly enjoy his work. For me to overlook that huge problem (I loathe AFI like I loathe They Shoot Pictures, Don’t They?), is a true testament to his good work.

There was a short space of time before my 14th birthday when I really started noticing Alfred Hitchcock’s genius. I had watched a couple of films before and enjoyed them, but never really loved them. It was around this time that I started getting into classic films, and I thank Hitchcock for introducing me to them.

The first one that I took an immediate shine to was his adaptation of Du Maurier’s novel Rebecc a, in which Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine take the leads. Though an early effort from Hitchcock, this masterpiece was every by the sophisticated, glossy audience-manipulator that Hitchcock would later go on to make. Hitchcock has consistently coaxed good performances out of his cast, and here, Joan Fontaine is superb in her jittery twitchiness. Hitchcock personally told everyone on the cast to treat her cruelly so her performance would be more “real,” and though this was somewhat mean, the results are clear.

Slickness ensued with his first colour film, Rope, an ingenious little invention where it is all shot in one long, shot. The acting from the two men/boy was not as great as it possibly could have been (though Farley Granger did great work on Hitchcock’s Strangers on a Train), but James Stewart gave one his best performances, thus making the slightly-surreal situation more realistic, and the film a rewarding experience.

Two of Hitchcock’s earliest films, The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes, are two that I feel are criminally underrated. Both were made in England, before he went to America with plans of taking over. The 39 Steps was an endlessly entertaining thriller-comedy, and whilst it may not have had the big-name casts and expensive locations that would later be present in his work, this film does feature the themes of loss of assumed identity and betrayal, two very Hitchcock-esque themes, and the quick, lively pacing works only to its advantage. The Lady Vanishes, which was made on a very low budget, has effects that were ahead of its time, and featured an extremely charming performance from Margaret Lockwood as the feisty heroine.

An early film of his own that Hitchcock was less pleased with, The Man Who Knew Too Much, would later go on to be remade by himself in Technicolor with James Stewart and Doris Day. The first had been too quick-paced and snappy, with a rather odd performance from Peter Lorre, but this one entertained perfectly, with a nice little song (Que Sera, Sera), thrown in. With a larger scale, the Albert Hall scene truly shone in this film.

Hitchcock is a very consistent director. Like anyone, he makes mistakes (Under Capricorn, Stage Fright and Frenzy didn’t impress me at all), but of all my favourite filmmakers, he has made the most films that I rate 8/10 or more. Sometimes he might resort to use his crowd-pleasing formula, as in Shadow of a Doubt or Suspicion, to produce, atmospheric, jumpy thrillers, but sometimes he’ll fancy a challenge and create a film that sets the standard in cinema.

James Stewart and Cary Grant are Hitch’s two key collaborators. The former uses his “Aww shucks” demeanour perfectly in each of his performances, balancing good-guy innocence with what is relatively rare for Stewart in anything other than Hitch films, intensity. In Rope, he played a very un-Stewartish role, as a cynical intellectual, but witness the passion behind his little monologue in the final act. He would visit this type of on-screen persona again in 58’s Vertigo.
[/link]

Cary Grant is in Hitchcock’s films as more of romantic model. In Notorious, he had appropriate coldness as Ingrid Bergman’s heartbreaker, slowly falling in love with her but unwilling to show his feelings. And in the light To Catch a Thief, Cary Grant was basically playing himself. He was twice Grace Kelly’s age at the time, but Hitchcock did the wise thing of pairing the two together, and together, they deliver escapism at its most fun.

1954 was a great year for Hitchcock, where he collaborated with leading lady Gracy Kelly twice. First was smart men-getting-what-they-deserve Dial M for Murder, which sported an excellent premise and a genuinely dislike villain in the scheming husband. Then came Rear Window, which, on top of being completely thrilling, featured some of the best chemistry in a Hitchcock film between Stewart and Kelly, and was also beautifully shot. This time, Hitchcock was not afraid to make his viewers think, and Rear Window has been deemed voyeurism, and poses the question, are all humans, like L.B., just voyeurs into other people’s worlds? Who would have thought that a film set in just one room could be so rousing and intelligent? All the experience from doing this with Rope and Lifeboat came together, and Hitchcock invents his best film, sophisticated, compelling, and the work of a master.
[link=http://photobucket.com/]

Two popular Hitchcockian themes are secrets and obsession. These feature heavily in his well-crafted masterpiece, Vertigo, which features the best dream sequence in the history of cinema. Kim Novak plays the mysterious female lead with conviction, and haunts, even though she does not say a word[link=http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e212/GuitarPickQueen/VeritgoHitc.jpg][/link] for the first 50 minutes of the film. Being Hitchcock, nothing in the film is as it seems, but all the better for it, as he weaves tension, deliria, human emotion as well as visual style.

As far as the 60s went, Hitchcock wasn’t on his amazing form, but still managed to make two films that I enjoyed – The Birds, and Psycho. The Birds was eerie, quite beautifully, and managed a few scares, and Hitchcock’s influence on cinema is evident even today, if you compare this film to the likes of say, Signs. I’m not as big a fan of SignCho as the pseudo-cinephiles at AFI are, but it was genuinely creepy, and nobody could make a better Psycho than Anthony Perkins. Though I still maintain that the book was better.

Sadly, the greatest film director to live is no longer with our. But his influences still are. Spielberg, Shyamalan, and various other thieves name him as an influence. But they will never match his masterworks, because I know for a fact that this man, someone who can make you think, be entertained, feel and be afraid all at the same time, is in a class of his own.

Best Films
01. Rear Window
02. Rebecca
03. Dial M For Murder
04. Vertigo
05. Strangers on a Train
06. Spellbound
07. Notorious
08. The 39 Steps
09. I Confess
10. The Lady Vanishes

Best Direction
01. Vertigo
02. Rear Window
03. Psycho
04. North by Northwest
05. Rebecca

http://zummer.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 14
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 30/4/2006 10:11:15 PM   
doncopey1

An excellent thread i have to say! My favourite Hitchcock Film has to be Vertigo and in my opinion is one of the few films to be considered absolutley perfect. Hermanns score, Hitchcocks use of colour and camera techniques are breathtaking as are Novak and a sensational turn from the always brilliant Stewart. I'm a huge Hitch fan and i enjoy his films alot more than any other director a true genius.
Here's my top 10:

10) The Lady Vanishes

9) The Birds

8) Notorious

7) Rebecca

6) The 39 Steps

5) Shadow of a Doubt

4) North by Northwest

3) Psycho

2) Rear Window

1) VERTIGO

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Empitomezzo)
Post #: 15
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/10/2006 8:01:33 PM   
Axel Foley

Suspicion 1941

I saw this for the first time today and thought I'd post something.

Coming a year after Rebecca and re-uniting Hitchcock with leading lady Joan Fontaine, Suspicion is another exercise in familial tension and growing paranoia. After a whirlwind romance Lina McLaidlaw (Fontaine) is married to Johnnie Aysgarth (Cary Grant). However, potential for marital bliss is scuppered by her growing suspicion that not only is Johnnie a cad and a liar, but has the potential to murder.

Hitchcock builds the situation in a studious fashion. We are introduced to both characters through a series of early meetings and care is taken to ensure both are engaging. She a dowdy, bookish pragmatist, he a debonair (how could Cary Grant be anything else) gent. The audience takes in proceedings from Fontaine's perspective, with Hitchcock using a vaiety of camera angles and edits accordingly, and as she becomes more suspicious we feel the growing tension between her and Grant. Additionally we like her want him to be a misunderstood innocent and as such the suspense is heightened.

Fontaine and Grant are both excellent, he especially so. Starting out his usual charming self, he's persona begins to take on an altogether darker, more sinister form, with Grant conveying this with subtle glances and gradual contortions of his face. This is a man gradually cracking under the financial pressure he has caused himself. Hitchcock accentuates the fearsomeness of Grant through clever use of shadow and edits. At one point as Fontaine discusses with their friend a financial arrangement, Grant suddenly appears in the doorway - setting up the first moment where Grant turns nasty.

Viewed as a film in it's own right it is well worth catching, but as part of the master of suspense's oeuvre it seems to me an imporatant link. For example Grant would later play a similar character in Notorious and the idea of a killer in the family would be repeated in Shadow of a Doubt, together with a discussion on the best methods of murder. As such it deserves recognition, as one of the best films of the second tier of Hitchcock films (i.e. as one of the best non-masterpieces).

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 16
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/10/2006 9:02:22 PM   
Uncle_Ethan

Hitchcock's career was unbelievable, he spent decades in film, yet his work remained of an incredible standard. Even his lesser films are still worth watching and his best efforts are simply superb.

My personal favourite is Vertigo the story is excellent and the whole film is unbelievably atmospherisic as Jimmy Stewart's obsession grows deeper and darker. Another I would certainly recommend is The 39 Steps which features one of Hitchcock's favourite themes the innocent man on the run, in this case Robert Donat. This film is excellent and I am pleased to see so many others listing it amongst their favourites.

I have seen practically all his films and I must say that even though some do not reach the heights of his undoubted classics, I have never seen a Hitchcock film that wasn't interesting or entertaining in some way. Lets be honest there aren't many directors you can say that about, which is even more impressive considering the number of films he directed. For me the fact he never received the Best Director Oscar says far more about the Academy than Hitchcock and must be a real comfort to Marin Scorsese.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 17
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 24/10/2006 12:27:04 PM   
Spinetinglers

Foreign Correspondent

Spinetinglers considers this the greatest Hitchcock ever made. Forget Vertigo and North by Northwest, Foreign Correspondent is by far the best. (We realise that this may spark some debate; however, we are going to stick to our guns on this one.) So why are we so sure it is the best? It is not the fact that it combines a great story and a great cast. (Hitchcock draws out a performance from Joel McCrea that no one thought him capable of.) It is not the fact that Hichcock’s dark sense of humour resonates throughout the whole film. The reason for its inclusion in our list is simply the last scene. To a 1940 audience, this scene must have been terrifying because they were living it.

As a foreign correspondent is delivering his weekly broadcast, the sirens suddenly screech out a warning that London is about to be attacked. The screen goes black and all you now hear is a voice from darkness…

“I can't read the rest of the speech I had, because the lights have gone out, so I'll just have to talk off the cuff. All that noise you hear isn't static—it's death, coming to London. Yes, they're coming here now. You can hear the bombs falling on the streets and the homes. Don't tune me out, hang on a while—this is a big story, and you're part of it. It's too late to do anything here now except stand in the dark and let them come... as if the lights were all out everywhere, except in America. Keep those lights burning; cover them with steel; ring them with guns; build a canopy of battleships and bombing planes around them. Hello, America, hang on to your lights: they're the only lights left in the world!”

Publishing five new authors every month.

(in reply to Dick Jones)
Post #: 18
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 5/11/2006 7:08:22 PM   
princessa

My personal fave is Rebecca - now that is thriller.  Its pure edge of your seat stuff when the police officer visits Laurence Olivier to question him about his wife's murder.  The actress who played his wife was excellent too!!!!
Post #: 19
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 5/11/2006 7:30:03 PM   
evil bill

1/PSYCHO
2/NORTH BY NORTHWEST
3/REAR WINDOW
4/39  STEPS
5/THE BIRDS
6/VERTIGO
7/TO CATCH A THIEF
8/DAIL M FOR MURDER
9/REBECCA
10/MARNIE
I could just keep on going the great director never made a bad movie in his entire life.A true great of cinema who still has an impact today,even after all the years that have pasted scene he went to that big screen in the sky.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 20
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 13/11/2006 7:51:06 PM   
Mason Verger

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 21
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 20/11/2006 6:12:02 PM   
Film Buff

One quick question on Spellbound that has been bugging me for ages. In the scene where Bergman and Peck kiss it then dissolves to loads of doors openung one after the other, what is this symbolic of?

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 22
The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/12/2006 1:13:07 AM   
MF DOOM

I finally have most if not all his available movies on DVD yayyyy!!! just need to get the 4 movies he made in Germany and France I believe... although they are not translated or have subs but to complete the whole filmography :)

(in reply to Film Buff)
Post #: 23
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 28/12/2006 5:36:51 PM   
ThomasJohnson

The Birds -
Seriously good.  Scary too.  This was the first Hitchcock I ever saw.

Psycho -
Decent but I reckon it tails off once that business in the shower is concluded. 

Marnie -
A thrilling set-piece in the bank.  Hard to be sympathetic to Tippi Hedren though - I prefer her when the birds are peckish.

Vertigo -
Great film and something a bit different from Hitchcock.  I get tired of Jimmy Stewart in this though. Widely praised but I don't think it's Hitchcock's best. 

North by Northwest -
So good.  Memorable scenes, great dialogue, hot blonde. 

The Lady Vanishes -
Poor quality now due to its age but still gripping. 

The 39 Steps -
My favourite early Hitchcock.  Great scope and engaging banter between the leads. 

Rear Window -
A complete classic.  All the key elements of a Hitchcock movie are in place here.  Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter and James Stewart all have great chemistry together.  The pace and tension are incredible considering its premise.  My own personal favourite.

Dial M for Murder -
Not bad at all.  Some interesting performances but a bit tame really.  Might have been better seen in 3D as originally intended.

To Catch A Thief -
Decent movie.  I find it hard to get past the dubbed voices though - until Grace Kelly appears.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) -

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1955) -

Jamaica Inn -
2 hours I'll never get back!

Strangers on a Train -

(in reply to MF DOOM)
Post #: 24
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/6/2008 4:03:51 PM   
Starscream

This thread needs a bump

Already seen Rope, Psycho, Vertigo, The Birds, Lifeboat, Rear Window and North by Northwest but i'm about to start my Hitchcock boxset.

First up is Saboteur

< Message edited by Starscream -- 1/6/2008 4:36:45 PM >

The allspark will be mine!

(in reply to ThomasJohnson)
Post #: 25
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/6/2008 4:18:03 PM   
jamesbondguy

Some good posts in this thread, nice to see it get a bump. I'll write a bit more when my Anti-Spielberg thread has died down, but I'll just list my thoughts on two of Hitchcock's films that I have seen recentley.

Saboteur- Not to be confused with Sabotage, an earlier (and superior) Hitchcock film. Hitch himself condemned this movie for being a 'mess of ideas', and he has a real point- there a number of good ideas here, but they are underdeveloped and further dragged down by some really bad ones. The performances are fairly average, although Robert Cummings is quite likeable. Not a patch on Hitch's best man-on-the-run films. 2/5

The Wrong Man- Utterly unsure of what to think of this one. It's very Bresson-esque, but it's nowhere near as good as the films I have seen from that director (most notably Pickpocket, a Bresson-directed crime film). It's a neo-realist film that at times breaks the rules of that style of film-making. Has some very effective moments, and Henry Fonda is very good, but I remain unsure of the piece as a whole. I will watch it again.

< Message edited by jamesbondguy -- 1/6/2008 4:20:03 PM >

Just like Geoffrey Ingram.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 26
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/6/2008 4:45:43 PM   
Rhubarb

Hitch is obviously amazing. Not seen everything he did by a long stretch, but Rear Window, Vertigo, Psycho, The Birds, North by Northwest etc etc all incredible films. I think I would pick out Rear Window as my favourite, incredibly clever stuff.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to jamesbondguy)
Post #: 27
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 1/6/2008 11:38:55 PM   
DCMaximo

Of the Hitchcock I've seen-

Rear Window-10/10. My favourite Hitch. Gripping from start to finish, takes a really simple idea and cranks up the suspense until the end
North By Northwest-9/10. Probably the most pure entertainment Hitchcock made. Not a single dull moment and full of exciting scenes
Vertigo-9/10. James Stewart on top form in a gripping tale of deception and intrugue
The 39 Steps-9/10. Excellent early Hitch, almost a prototype for North By Northwest
Strangers On A Train-9/10. A great film with Robert Walker excellent as a charming killer
I Confess-8/10. Beautifully shot and the most obvious reference to Hitch's religious background
Secret Agent-8/10. The greatest Bond film never made. Peter Lorre excels in a supporting role
Stage Fright-8/10. A great cast and a clever twist make this an underrated gem
The Lady Vanishes-8/10. A great premise and a great mix of comedy and suspense
The Wrong Man-7/10. An interesting change of pace for Hitchcock, not great, but worth a look
Rich And Strange-5/10. Odd, but interesting. Still drags a bit in the middle

Owned but not seen yet: Foreign Correspondant, To Catch A Thief, The Trouble With Harry, Dial "M" For Murder, Juno & The Paycock, The Farmer's Wife

The Spanish Inquisition of the 'Get Carlton Banks a TV Spin-off' Association

"Carlotta was the kind of town where they spell trouble T-R-U-B-I-L, and if you try to correct them, they kill you"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 28
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 3/6/2008 12:26:15 PM   
Dr Lenera

It was Hitchcock's movies that really got me into old movies about 15 years ago,and I still think he's brilliant,even his weaker films have at least one or two great scenes in them.  Vertigo,Rear Window  [those are his twin best IMO],North By Northwest,Stranegrs On A Train,The Lady Vanishes and Marnie are my favourites.  The only films I have yet to see are Mr And Mrs Smith and most of the pre-Man Who Knew Too Much films,although a box set containing all those is now in my posession so I'll gradually plough through them!

The Lodger  ***1/2
The Manxman  ***
Blackmail  ***1/2
The Skin Game   **
The Man Who Knew too Much   ****
The 39 Steps   ****1/2
Secret Agent  ***1/2
Sabotage   ****
Young And Innocent   ***
The Lady Vanishes  *****
Jamaica Inn   **1/2
Rebecca  ****
Foreign Correspondent   ****1/2
Suspicion   ****
Saboteur   ***1/2
Shadow Of A Doubt  ****1/2
Lifeboat   ***
Spellbound   ****1/2
Notorious  ****1/2
The Paradine Case   ***1/2
Rope  ***
Under Capricorn   ***1/2
Stage Fright   ***
Strangers On A Train  *****
I Confess  ****
Dial M For Murder  ***
Rear Window   *****
To Catch A Thief   ***
The Trouble With Harry   ***1/2
The Man Who Knew Too Much   ****
The Wrong Man   ****1/2
Vertigo   *****
North By Northwest    *****
Psycho   ****
The Birds   ****1/2
Marnie  ****1/2
Torn Curtain   ***
Topaz    **1/2
Frenzy    ***
Family Plot   ***

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to DCMaximo)
Post #: 29
RE: The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock - 9/6/2008 12:38:36 PM   
Macavity

I watched Rope this week and loved every minute of it. It's hard to imagine a film like that getting made today. I've never really rated Jimmy Stewart much but he was fantastic in this. The trailer included in the DVD is a real stinker though...it totally ruins the films' climax.
4/5

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> The Films Of Alfred Hitchcock Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI