Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

All Quiet On The Western Front

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> All Quiet On The Western Front Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
All Quiet On The Western Front - 25/8/2006 3:41:18 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Best war film ever - 18/12/2006 9:42:27 PM   
solid snake

Its age does not matter. This is an anti war film thats showed in devastating effect. It shows that not all German are crazy people who want to conquer the world. The special effects are mindblowing concidering when the film was made.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Best war film ever - 15/4/2009 11:02:50 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I watched this again last night, this film will always be a classic and it's techniques and message are incredible but parts of this remain some of the funniest, stupidest cinema ever made. See Paul praying to God over Franz's body, bayonets stabbed under arms (surely this wasn't an actual technique in WWI?), no blood, people falling over for no apparent reason and speeded up armies that could almost be set to Benny Hill music and the incredible staring Frenchman who looks different in every camera shot. I'm afraid I've started to laugh at how dated this looks rather than admire it's intentions. That's a really sad thing to write.

Still powerful and taken in context wonderful, but I'm afraid it's awful edges are becoming more and more apparent.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to solid snake)
Post #: 3
RE: Best war film ever - 15/4/2009 4:44:32 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

See Paul praying to God over Franz's body

He desperately didn't want his friend to die, and he believed in God. Seems perfectly normal.

quote:

bayonets stabbed under arms (surely this wasn't an actual technique in WWI?)

The boys perhaps didn't know how to do it properly, or were frenzied. It's not a mistake in the film.

quote:

no blood

There was. (I admit it's hard to tell given the lack of colour)

quote:

people falling over for no apparent reason

They just got shot (rofl). Unless there's a specific example you can provide me with that suggests otherwise.

quote:

and speeded up armies that could almost be set to Benny Hill music

I like the speeded up battles. Makes it more frenzied and violent. Of course it may just have been a technological limitation, but it does end up helping the film IMO.

quote:

the incredible staring Frenchman who looks different in every camera shot.

Well, that's... well... He looks ALMOST the same, so...

quote:

I'm afraid I've started to laugh at how dated this looks rather than admire it's intentions. That's a really sad thing to write.

But you don't need to. All those things that you noticed are trifles. The overall impact cannot be overestimated, even by today's standards. Haunting.

About accusations of overracting (made by others). Sound was new and actors were still used to silent acting which means a lot of exaggerated movements, which, when transferred to sound, meant exaggerated delivery of dialogue. I don't see it as a problem because it's consistent throughout the film, and you get used to it after a short while, and by the time you come round to watch it again, you're already aware it's there, and you aren't really conscious of it like you were the first time.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 4
RE: Best war film ever - 15/4/2009 6:37:44 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

They might be trifles but they subtract from the film, I get moved by this film, in places it builds emotions unfortunetl the next minute you have a dead Frenchman staring with a different facial expression every new shot. It just makes me roll around laughing, it really is funny. It doesn't matter if it's 1902 or 2009 that's bad direction and subtracts from the film.

That said there are lots of individual shots I could pick out that I love, I also love the funny ones but for all the wrong reasons.

< Message edited by Kilo_T_Mortal -- 15/4/2009 6:38:03 PM >

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 5
RE: Best war film ever - 15/4/2009 6:58:15 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

They might be trifles but they subtract from the film, I get moved by this film, in places it builds emotions unfortunetl the next minute you have a dead Frenchman staring with a different facial expression every new shot. It just makes me roll around laughing, it really is funny. It doesn't matter if it's 1902 or 2009 that's bad direction and subtracts from the film.

That said there are lots of individual shots I could pick out that I love, I also love the funny ones but for all the wrong reasons.

But how was the actor to know exactly WHAT the facial expression was in the previous shot? I don't think they had dailies in 1930.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 6
RE: Best war film ever - 15/4/2009 11:18:57 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

But how was the actor to know exactly WHAT the facial expression was in the previous shot? I don't think they had dailies in 1930.

This is getting pointless but it's a director's decision to include this scene, if it's shit because he can't do it properly without inventing dailies then he shouldn't include it.

horribleives

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 7
This is Brilliant - 7/9/2009 2:49:47 PM   
davelogan

Strange as it may sound the dated aspects of the film serve it still today. The exaggerated expressions on the students faces at the start is more pwerful than something modern cinema could produce. IT helps if you bear in mind that the movie is from 1930. Moving and what an ending.

Post #: 8
All Quiet Still Moving and Relevant 80 years later - 23/2/2012 10:29:43 PM   
lynnshep

Still one of the most powerful anti-war films. Banned by the Nazis because of its power. Still shocks and moves.

Post #: 9
RE: All Quiet Still Moving and Relevant 80 years later - 18/9/2012 4:47:15 AM   
Phubbs

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)

Based on a novel and probably one of the most realistic war films I have ever see. WW1 is the setting for this unusual look at life for German troops at the front line. Unusual because its a 30's American film focusing on German soldiers and not the more obvious Allies of Britain, France and Russia.

Starting off much like 'Full Metal Jacket' the film covers a group/class of young German lads ready to join the ranks and fight for their country. From here on we follow them through harsh training and into battle where they very quickly realise the horrors of war, one by one they are killed off as the film becomes more and more tragic, and all this in a 1930's film!

The first thing that must hit you is the amazing look and work put into the film, its incredible!. The realism of the trenches, war torn nomansland, the uniforms for both sides and the brilliant special effects, mainly revolving around some pretty big explosions near actors, are all superbly created. By today's standards everything still looks good whilst the black and white only helps the film look more realistic. The film could easily be the 'Saving Private Ryan' of its day, its almost as good as real footage.

Of course the actors are of a different age so one can expect performances without the type of 'grit' that we are used to today. Some scenes are almost slightly pantomime with some slightly funny moments of comedy and slapstick which lighten the mood (mainly at the start before the characters enter the war) but we all know moments like this add to the charm of old films.

Make no mistake though this film is a history lesson and seeing as it was made about 12years after WW1 actually ended its amazing people watched, especially as it followed the Central Powers. Being so close to the war is obviously why its so accurate, the harrowing sequences of men being mown down by machine gun fire, one after another without a chance, the screams of the young troops as they go crazy from the constant shelling, the mud, barren landscapes, bodies, barbwire and of course the famous bleak depressing ending for the main lead, nailing home how cheap life was.

I think the main point in the film is how the main lead 'Paul Baumer' starts off, like his friends, as a patriot young German wanting to go off and fight for his country, pushed onwards and practically lied to by his school teacher 'Professor Kantorek' into 'doing whats right', to 'save the Fatherland'. 'Baumer' then returns to his home town towards the end of the film only to find his school teacher spouting the same nonsense to more young boys, trying to get them to recruit. He is invited in to speak of the glory of war but instead rages how its all lies and there is nothing but misery and death for all who join up. He is shunned by his old teacher and branded a coward by the young boys, so he returns to the front line. Not long after this the film ends with his pointless needless death.

(in reply to lynnshep)
Post #: 10
RE: All Quiet Still Moving and Relevant 80 years later - 18/9/2012 8:42:34 AM   
Dr Lenera

A stunning film indeed, only saw it for the first time myself the other day, and it blew me away. A fine review there Phubbs!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> All Quiet On The Western Front Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI