Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New LOTR DVD Snippet Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New LOTR DVD Snippet Online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New LOTR DVD Snippet Online - 25/8/2006 9:57:50 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 25/8/2006 9:57:51 AM   
Chaos Engine

your fucking kidding me right?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Studios Piss Me Off! - 25/8/2006 10:36:29 AM   
charliealonso

whats the point?

you have the normal edition DVD's, the Extended Editions, now these Limited Editions.. who wants to bet that in a year or two, they'll release 3-D Edition DVD. and then revamped DVD's of the already revamped DVD's that you have.

Post #: 3
Is nothing sacred? - 25/8/2006 10:38:40 AM   
davidpanik

Of course we're going to get BluRay/HD versions as well.

Post #: 4
RE: Is nothing sacred? - 25/8/2006 10:55:53 AM   
HIM

Anyone know how much the boxset will cost? 

(in reply to davidpanik)
Post #: 5
- 25/8/2006 11:18:49 AM   
billythehick

i really hate it when they do these sort of releases. particularly since the last set cost so much.

Post #: 6
- 25/8/2006 11:56:06 AM   
Hughezy

GREAT!!! A documentry about snow.

i won't be buying these.

Post #: 7
RE: - 25/8/2006 11:58:42 AM   
Mojo

Well I'm heading off to Uni now and my dad needs a copy of LOTR... so I am fully justified in buying these.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Hughezy)
Post #: 8
- 25/8/2006 12:05:34 PM   
18seconds

I've already got the extended box set. I'm just going to rent the bonus disc with the documentaries from Amazon Rental.

Post #: 9
- 25/8/2006 12:06:10 PM   
jediwarrior

Another bloody DVD rip-off. I was quite happy when the originals where released and the studio said there would be a extended cut in future. That was fine you knew if was coming so you could buy the cinema version straight away or wait for the extended edition (I waited) but now they do what every other film that comes out on DVD seems to do release another version 2 years later. What's the matter New Line are you trying to get some of your money back from King Kong

Post #: 10
This is doing my head in - 25/8/2006 12:47:01 PM   
papalazarou

why oh why are we contantly bombarded with endless special editions of films we already own. Are we all to be taken for fools? Is this really what the distributors think we want? Endless hours of teh same thing with a new documentary or scene added? Wake up hollywood and grant us humble film viewers a little bit of intelligence please...........
this speech is best appreciated in Dawn French's voice. Special extended edition to be posted later and the again with extensive footnotes in 2008. 3D version for 10 anniversay of posting TBC

Post #: 11
Boring - 25/8/2006 1:42:42 PM   
thedazzla

To quote Randal in Clerks 2 "There's only one return and it aint of the king, its of the jedi " the LOTR trilogy bored me, certainly not gonna pay to be bored some more!

Post #: 12
RE: Boring - 25/8/2006 3:05:03 PM   
Mononoke

Having not gotten through all the extras on the Extended Edition DVDs yet I don't think I'll be rushing out to buy the Limited Editions for some more behind the scenes footage.  I'm happy with the boxset I have at the moment and may rent the Limited Edition to check out some of the new documentries. 

I'm sure I've seen how they did the snow and how it got into everyones eyes already though.

(in reply to thedazzla)
Post #: 13
RE: Boring - 25/8/2006 3:08:05 PM   
Tech_Noir

And people call Lucas greedy.

(in reply to Mononoke)
Post #: 14
by Phil - 25/8/2006 5:44:16 PM   
phil billinge

As with Star Wars, WAIT until the HD or Blue-Ray DVD versions come out, then think about parting with your money.

Post #: 15
Tom Darragh - 25/8/2006 6:35:56 PM   
Tom Darragh

Shame on you, Peter Jackson! To think that someone, who had the sensitivity to do the "Ring" trilogy so wonderfully in the first place, and then masterfully re-create "King Kong," could turn out to be another greedy merchandising monster like the talentless George Lucas is the biggest disappointment I have ever suffered. No, I will NOT be buying the cheapened LOTR boxset - nor will I ever again buy or see a Peter Jackson movie! Shame, shame, shame! On all concerned!

Post #: 16
so what!? - 25/8/2006 8:12:25 PM   
clarkkent

LOTR is possibley one of the most over rated trilogy's off all time! and why are people going to buy these dvds when all they're really going to get for their money is a documentary that probably covers stuff from the extras o the special editions anyway! I mean come on the LOTR trilogy is nothing but poofy looking hair and walking interspersed with the odd fight! And i don't see the point in waiting for blue ray and hd cos its gonna be ages before they take off! a fucking blu ray player costs like 800pounds! and for the record! the new star wars dvds are worth getting becuase they actually have something to offer! we finnaly get tos ee the bloody theatrical cuts with no shit 'improvements' HAN SHOOTS FIRST! which is bloody important as gredo shooting first just looks stupid! hans head jerks oddly and its just looks shit!

Post #: 17
RE: so what!? - 25/8/2006 10:46:53 PM   
closet heroine

I appreciate that intimate attention to detail is what makes Peter Jackson movies so great, but if there's one thing this world doesn't need, it's another fucking 2 hour documentary about the foley artists/gaffers/tea boys/toasted sandwich makers on LOTR. Stop it Peter. Let it go, man. Let it go. Come on, why not have a nice sit down and a cup of tea instead?

Actually, better not. He'll only go and make a bloody 6 hour documentary with multiple angles and cast commentaries on PG Tips and a debate on the usage of goats milk or cows milk.

< Message edited by closet heroine -- 25/8/2006 10:53:48 PM >

Never rub another mans rhubarb

(in reply to clarkkent)
Post #: 18
"all you have to decide is what to do with the tim... - 26/8/2006 12:54:19 AM   
boredbluekoala

The movie is what makes a dvd set worth buying, and in the case of the special extended editions, they were definitive. I imagine that we have a good 30-40 years of endless tinkering ahead of us with this trilogy, in much the same manner as the original Star wars trilogy, and like those, each time an "improvement" is made that slightly alters the experience, we shall be asked to pay for it. And it wont end there, just look at what Lucas is gonna do to The Phantom Menace, which has already been altered twice since its theatrical print, once on its video release, and more extensively on the dvd, now , it seems that all of the crummy-puppet Yoda scenes are to be digitaly replaced for the 30th anniversary box set. (check out the web docs section on Revenge of the Sith to see what I mean) Back to Peter Jacksons Masterpiece, (and they are so bite me!!) Lord of the rings is gonna be in the public consciousness for years to come and anything related to Jacksons work will undoubtedly be given the once over and re-released for us to buy time and again,look at KIng Kong, that's already getting the extended treatment, so too for that matter will Superman returns and probably X-3. It all comes down to curiosity, are you willing to pay again for something you already own (twice over in my case) in order to satisfy your movie buff urge to see everything. Me? I'm gonna wait for the 10th anniversary editions, by then I imagine that my current copies will actually need replacing. And that is preferable to the raised eyebrowes and slowly shaking heads of family and friends who see that you have THREE copies of the same movie sat on your shelf !!!

< Message edited by boredbluekoala -- 26/8/2006 1:02:37 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: "all you have to decide is what to do with the... - 26/8/2006 10:48:21 PM   
mr_t

I actually had a panic attack when I first saw this!

I thought they were releasing an extended-extended edition. God I don't think I could have afforded the electricity or the beer to watch it with.

www.48hourmovie.com

(in reply to boredbluekoala)
Post #: 20
RE: "all you have to decide is what to do with the... - 27/8/2006 9:19:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I might be wrong, but I'm fairly certain that Jackson himself isn't sitting behind his desk plotting worldwide domination via DVD's. As far as I know, he hasn't been all that involved with this set.

It was well-known back in 2002 that there would be 2 versions of the Fellowship on DVD, and the same was true of the sequels.

I don't see a problem at all with a new set. Most people will have one, or possibly both versions of all 3 films, so why should they buy another set. Well they shouldn't, unless they are particularly bothered about the new documentary footage (ie. me) It isn't as if they're releasing the films again with altered scenes, unlike some other trilogy, which is about to get it's third release in 2 years

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to mr_t)
Post #: 21
For the love of hobbits no! - 27/8/2006 9:19:38 AM   
giddig

Extended versions, Directors Cuts, Extended Directors Cuts, Multi-disc life drainers with multiple commentaries (including the directors best mate who had nothing better to do and has never seen he movies). When will the money hoovering annoyance end? Extras used to make DVDs something special, now they're an annoyance and waste of space. A single disc version of the theatrical and a single disc of the directors final cut at the best quality possible is all people want!

Post #: 22
For the love of hobbits no! - 27/8/2006 9:21:14 AM   
giddig

Extended versions, Directors Cuts, Extended Directors Cuts, Multi-disc life drainers with multiple commentaries (including the directors best mate who had nothing better to do and has never seen the movies). When will the money hoovering annoyance end? Extras used to make DVDs something special, now they're an annoyance and waste of space. A single disc version of the theatrical and a single disc of the directors final cut at the best quality possible is all people want!

Post #: 23
RE: New LOTR DVD Snippet Online - 27/8/2006 4:37:36 PM   
Dances with Weasels

Some directors cuts are substantially better than the originals.Recently I've watch Alien,Aliens ,Alien III on the advice of some of the forum feedback (after getting the boxset despite having the originals) and was far more impressed with the directors edition particularly III(IV remains as weak as grandads piss,and just as disgusting!).So there is a case for these "additions".I include L>O>T>Rs.
However,these re- releases are getting on my nerves.If  I WANTED THE ORIGNAL  starwars I have a choice of three versions of the original video gathering dust and woodlice in the cupboard.How many times do the studios think we want to purchase a film? In how many formats???I can see a point in the future where the theatre film becomes like an editted "highlight" in a successful "series" if the box office is big enough.Lord of the Rings and may be King Kong being the latest  to suffer this fate.Digital technology is helping to expand the experience of film brilliantly but it is also swelling the length of it miserably.In some cases this is not helping the product.Film making is an art.It used to be a satisfying experience to sit and watch a film that hit the mark and pace at about two hours.Some of these re editons feature just minutes of extra and very poor footage shoved in.This is corporate greed but hell if we keep paying for it they'll keep selling to us.

Post #: 24
- 28/8/2006 6:03:30 PM   
Keenan

For heaven's sake, Just don't buy it if you don't want it. The film hasn't changed so nobody should feel they have to buy it. But people who want to can. I don't want to, so I won't. And I won't go around bitching about an extra god damned documentary either.

Post #: 25
Peter not to blame (probably)! - 29/8/2006 9:00:34 AM   
phil billinge

Tom Darragh - aim your gun at New Line, not Peter Jackson! Sure, Peter gets a wad from each copy of LOTR sold - but my guess is that it's New Line (who distributes the film) that has decided to re-release it. Anyway, forget the September re-release and wait for the HD/Blue Ray DVDs when you'll get substantially better audio and video quality. Now that would be worth paying for...

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New LOTR DVD Snippet Online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI