Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 12:59:36 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
The Key Of Solomon - 21/8/2006 12:59:37 PM   
El-Branden Brazil

Could it be that Indy is going to be tunnelling under the Holy Mount in Jerusalem? Now, that would be incediary.

Can't wait for this, and I have total faith that THE BEARDED ONE will get this right!

In the meantime, maybe Steven would like to take a look at my gorgeous shots from Egypt at www.mysticegypt.blogspot.com/.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 21/8/2006 1:03:04 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

Woo hoo, I get the special subscriber's issue!!!

In regards to the interview, I can't wait! It should hopefully be good, even if Ford is knocking on a bit.

Post #: 3
Indy IV - 21/8/2006 1:04:06 PM   
alastairnoakes

Don't do it! You have, in "Last Crusade", a perfect ending to maybe the best trilogy in movie history. Does anyone involved think, really believe, that Part 4 is going to add something valuable, and not take something away from the first three?

Post #: 4
Indy IV Opening... as I imagine it - 21/8/2006 1:09:25 PM   
El-Branden Brazil

The Paramount Logo melts into an embroidered version of a "Home Sweet Home " type framed image in a simple bedroom.  Indiana Jones is dressed in a suit. The music is dramatic. Panic is on his face, and he jams a chair against the door. Outside, footsteps are getting closing. Indy eyes frantically about the room, wiping sweat from his brow.

There's a knock at the door and Indy grunts. We now here the familiar voice of Henry Jones Sr (Sean Connery) outside. He says: "It's time, Junior."

Indy takes a breathe, removes the chair and unlocks the door. He sees his father and hugs him. They go downstairs and there is a crowd of people lined up, with a pulpit at the end.

Sallah and his family are there, as is a grown-up Short Round. Indy walks towards the pulpit, and he looks around. Who is he marrying, Marion Ravenwood or Willy Scott? He peers at the crowd, and there is Marion looking beautiful. She winks with a knowing smile... The familiar wedding music begins, and Willy enters, dressed in a gorgeous white veil....

< Message edited by El-Branden Brazil -- 21/8/2006 2:21:35 PM >

Post #: 5
The Spear Of Longinus - 21/8/2006 1:27:08 PM   
Cuchulainn

Could the lance that skewered the side of Christ be the McGuffin to which Lucas cryptically refers?

Post #: 6
RE: Indy IV Opening... as I imagine it - 21/8/2006 1:40:23 PM   
TheGreatEye

quote:

ORIGINAL: El-Branden Brazil

Short Round. Indy walks towards the pulpit, and he looks around. Who is he marrying, Marion Ravenwood or Willy Scott? He peers at the crowd, and there is Marion looking beautiful. She winks with a knowing smile... The familiar wedding music begins, and...

...The WW2  German truck which chauffeurs Marion turns too quickly, rolling onto its side, exploding and killing her instantly, thus ruining her and Indy's big day.

(in reply to El-Branden Brazil)
Post #: 7
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 1:41:32 PM   
Dances with Weasels

This could be very ,very scary. George had an idea that the others said " Uh Oh!!!!" and then "said can't we get another one!!!!!."
A  Mac Guffin is a plot device that motivates the characters and advances the story but has little relevance to the plot itself.It was best used by the esteemed Mr Hitchcock in such classics as "North by North West","Notorious", and "Psycho ".Hitchcock says it is the object around which the plot goes around but the audience doesn't care about.So it goes that the plot has to be absolutely cracking and the character scripting beyond reproach.
With all the best will and huge respect that I hold for George Lucas and the phenominal amount of pleasure he has given me and my own ,no one,  not even Samuel Jackson with a gun pointed at my head,will ever get me to say that George has ever produce a script in which those are his key strengths.There has only ever been one Hitchcock.
Its like waiting for your idols to be desecrated! George,Steven and Indie (sorry Harrison!!!) please don't do this for laughs or the hell of it.Do it because you care!!! Just be brave and ask for somebody elses opinions before you go to shoot it.I'm sure everyone will see it anyway but don't send Indie out on a bum note.He is one of the last "real" fictional heros.He is getting older so lets not have him running,lepping or fighting like some super man or have daft CGI sequences all over the screen.Give the guy his hat,his jacket and his whip and most of all let him keep his dignity.

< Message edited by Dances with Weasels -- 21/8/2006 5:26:38 PM >

Post #: 8
- 21/8/2006 1:42:45 PM   
The Moog

Despite ROTS being decent enough its hard for me to have faith in any Lucas project. I agree that the ending to last crusade is perfect and it should be left alone.

Post #: 9
Bring back Shortround! - 21/8/2006 1:46:36 PM   
kanedapen

By far one of the best characters in the Indy movies, played by the chinese kid in the goonies. Jet Li would be perfect to play the grown up "Shortie" and thus catapult him from Hong Kong Superstar to Ultra Super Mega Hollywood Heavyweight in one foul, ass-kicking swoop. This should lighten the load somewhat for the ageing HF in the impending "impossible situation" fight scenes. No Shanghai Noon comments please!

Post #: 10
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 1:50:09 PM   
TheGreatEye

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dances with Weasels

This could be very ,very scary. George had an idea that the others said " Uh Oh!!!!" and then "said can't we get another one!!!!!."
A  Mac Guffin is a plot device that motivates the characters and advances the story but has little relevance to the plot itself.It was best used by the esteemed Mr Hitchcock in such classis as "North by North West","Notorious", and "Psycho ".Hitchcock says it is the object around which the plot goes around but the audience does care about.So it goes that the plot has to be absolutely cracking and the character scripting beyond reproach.
With all the best will and huge respect that I hold for George Lucas and the phenominal amount of pleasure he has given me and my own ,no one,  not even Samuel Jackson with a gun pointed at my head,will ever get me to say that George has ever produce a script in which those are his key strengths.There has only ever been one Hitchcock.
Its like waiting for your idols to be desecrated! George,Steven and Indie (sorry Harrison!!!) please don't do this for laughs or the hell of it.Do it because you care!!! Just be brave and ask for somebody elses opinions before you go to shoot it.I'm sure everyone will see it anyway but don't send Indie out on a bum note.He is one of the last "real" fictional heros.He is getting older so lets not have him running,lepping or fighting like some super man or have daft CGI sequences all over the screen.Give the guy his hat,his jacket and his whip and most of all let him keep his dignity.

Good comment.

quote:

By far one of the best characters in the Indy movies, played by the chinese kid in the goonies. Jet Li would be perfect to play the grown up "Shortie" and thus catapult him from Hong Kong Superstar to Ultra Super Mega Hollywood Heavyweight in one foul, ass-kicking swoop. This should lighten the load somewhat for the ageing HF in the impending "impossible situation" fight scenes. No Shanghai Noon comments please!

Bad comment.

(in reply to Dances with Weasels)
Post #: 11
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 2:09:40 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Spielberg is still coming out with decent stuff and it will be cool to see all three join forces for one last battle against the forces of evil! I like the lance-that-killed-Jesus idea as well

I am totally up for seeing it made

(in reply to TheGreatEye)
Post #: 12
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 2:46:13 PM   
Monkeyshaver

As others have said, Last Crusade perfectly ended the series. Another one just seems like a doing it for the money idea. Why can't Lucas come up with something original rather than returning to past glories?

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 13
CURE GASTROPARESIS - 21/8/2006 2:56:30 PM   
dan8210

new indy can not and will not live up to expectations. especially after the new starwars trilogy. however its still gonna b made as hollywood running out of ideas and this is a bankable blockbuster. i'll still go and see a new average indy movie (feel guilty admitting). its gotta b better than tomb raider and the mummy right? mayb spielberg can inject his magic? maybe an idea is film focusing on indys son and harrison ford (indy) plays father kinda like sean connery did with harrison ford if u know wot i mean. itd b funny if indy had twin sons or something- new indie would turn in 2 goonies or maybe tweenies ;)

Post #: 14
RE: CURE GASTROPARESIS - 21/8/2006 3:00:23 PM   
Wilbert

I think it can be done but you just have to watch it as a film and try not to let the intervening years build it up to more than that.
The original films were such good fun and if they can recapture 10% of that, then the admission will be money well spent.

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to dan8210)
Post #: 15
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 3:11:58 PM   
Dances with Weasels

I'm not against it being made.Hell I'd love to see Indie that last time.But do I think it can be done well?.The odds are heavily against it.Four is a really unlucky number in  a series.Can anyone tell me where the fourth film in the franchise has been any good?Superman IV? Alien:Ressurection? Starwars :The Phantom Menace?(Ok its supposed to be the first but was the fourth one shot).Star Trek :The Voyage Home?(though I did like some of the tongue in cheek jokes occasionally this shows exactly why Indie IV shouldn't happen-Old cast doing daft things with a weak plot ,a "play it for laughs" script, funning it all the time attitude).
   Indie was" the Kirk "of his time.He should not be made to look like "the Jerk "of this time. I don't want a "Raiders Lite." I want a "Raiders Draught" cool,solid 100% distilled alcohol.I just don't think they can brew the right beer with hops that are this old.But I would love to be proved wrong a hundred times over!!!!!

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 16
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 3:28:40 PM   
Monkeyshaver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dances with Weasels

Can anyone tell me where the fourth film in the franchise has been any good?

Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to Dances with Weasels)
Post #: 17
RE: Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV - 21/8/2006 3:41:32 PM   
Dances with Weasels

Gladiator,all of Rome salutes you!!!

I'll give you that one Monkeyshaver!! Just but only just.Damn.Now why didn't I remember that one?

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 18
RE: The Spear Of Longinus - 21/8/2006 4:40:17 PM   
Wentworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

Could the lance that skewered the side of Christ be the McGuffin to which Lucas cryptically refers?

cool idea!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 19
RE: The Spear Of Longinus - 21/8/2006 4:58:00 PM   
doobydoo

I hate to be such a grumble guts, but hearing Harrison, Spielberg or Lucas saying 'we're close to getting started' isnt actually 'news'. they've been saying that about Indy 4 for quite some time now. do you not remember the article Empire did about what was coming in 2005? with the picture of King Kong and Indy behind him on a zimmer frame? we were all sooooo sure then.

ill get excited about this once the first days shooting has begun and theres (hopefully) no turning back in getting the film out.

< Message edited by doobydoo -- 21/8/2006 4:59:18 PM >

(in reply to Wentworth)
Post #: 20
- 21/8/2006 5:24:06 PM   
Chaos Engine

it's not going to happen. i hate to say it, but one of these guys will have a heart attack or some shit, a few months during the pre vis & it'lll just get canned.

Post #: 21
RE: - 21/8/2006 5:30:02 PM   
Dances with Weasels

In that case I suggest the title for it  would be "Indiana Jones and the Resurrection of Doom ."

(in reply to Chaos Engine)
Post #: 22
McGuffin you too Lucas! - 21/8/2006 6:06:02 PM   
punchdrunk

You can speak that sh*t lucas but no-one can understand it!
So because peoples expectations were high thats why the Phantom Menace was a pile of sh*te falling drunkenly out of the cinema saying to the police "i blame the Jedi's" has he been talking to Mel Gibson! i hope he dosent write the thing or direct it but just assists its progress...fat chance.

Post #: 23
- 21/8/2006 6:06:23 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Cool covers Empire.

Oh, and I don't care what Indy IV is about: as long as it's a great "old hero's last adventure" film and another Spielberg classic, I'll be happy.

Post #: 24
- 21/8/2006 6:08:41 PM   
Ripper

Nice covers Empire! Nice to be back to the proper sort instead of the crappy ones weve had recently!

Post #: 25
Dr Jones - 21/8/2006 6:34:44 PM   
jemba

another one? this could go really wrong...

Post #: 26
Can anyone tell me... - 21/8/2006 6:44:32 PM   
Bubba76

What's a McGuffin !?! Am I missing some kind of movie mumbo jumbo that only buffs know? :-)

Post #: 27
RE: Dr Jones - 21/8/2006 6:44:58 PM   
Cuchulainn

I can't help but think that this would be so much better (and probably be in production now) if Lucas wasn't involved.I know it's his baby and all,but Spielberg has already gone on record saying how good Frank Darabont's screenplay was,yet Lucas put the kibosh on that incarnation.
There's been far too much wanking around for this to truly amaze when it finally appears,although I,along with almost everybody else I imagine,will be praying for a last hurrah worthy of the hero himself.Oh,and seeing as everyone else is blabbing on about the covers,yes,they are nice...

< Message edited by Cuchulainn -- 21/8/2006 6:49:38 PM >

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to jemba)
Post #: 28
RE: Dr Jones - 21/8/2006 8:08:45 PM   
Dave B

Awesome covers, love the subscribers ones which I shall be receiving.

I personnally don't want an Indy IV but if they must make it they need to remember what made the trilogy so good was its sense of fun and adventure. Don't make it overly complicated, you don't need complex charaterisation; just a good story.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 29
RE: Can anyone tell me... - 21/8/2006 8:11:32 PM   
Dances with Weasels

A MacGuffin is a plot device that has little to do with the actual plot itself,its just the motivation for what happens.Most recent famous Mac Guffins are "The Brief Case" in " Pulp Fiction" that nobody knows whats in it but drives everyone crazy trying to guess and "The Rabbits Foot" in MI3 which is a WMD but how it does that again is anyone guess.So you see George maybe on very tricky ground in that Indie as an archeologist does go for very real objects that have powers ie Ark,Stones,Grail which pretty much drive the plot and story.So you can see my misgivings but ***t I hope I'm wrong.

(in reply to Bubba76)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Spielberg, Ford and Lucas on Indy IV Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI