Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

John Adams (From The Makers Of Band Of Brothers)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> John Adams (From The Makers Of Band Of Brothers) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
John Adams (From The Makers Of Band Of Brothers) - 21/8/2006 9:09:42 AM   
Timon

Tom Hanks sure does love his epic mini series. First there was FROM THE EARTH TO THE MOON telling the story of the Apollo missions, then BAND OF BROTHERS chronicling the missions of a US paratrooper company and then INTO THE WEST which showed the expansion into Native American territory during the Gold Rush.

Now, it's time to run as the Red coats are coming in what is tentativelly being called at the moment "JOHN ADAMS".

Paul Giamatti will play John Adams in a seven-episode miniseries about the American Revolution. Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are executive producing the project based on the David McCullough bestseller "John Adams."

Co-executive producer Kirk Ellis wrote the project, which begins shooting in January in Virginia.

HBO will begin airing the seven hourlong segments in March 2008.

Though Adams became the second U.S. president, Giamatti will play him when he was a Massachusetts lawyer working behind the scenes to mobilize the revolt of the colonies. The book was partly based on letters between Adams and wife Abigail, and their
relationship figures into the mini as well.

Can't wait. Can we expect epic battles on the scale of Band Of Brothers but with Redcoats versus those pesky colonials who were just too lazy to pay their taxes?

< Message edited by Timon -- 23/8/2007 10:50:59 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 9:16:05 AM   
Jim

Hm, well if the makers of Band of Brothers are involved, then I'm already interested.
I've not heard of "From The Earth To The Moon" or "Into The West" though, are they also good?

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 10:01:23 AM   
Timon

From the Earth to the Moon is simply amazing. As good as Band of Brothers in my opinion but i'm fairly interested in the space program anyway. It deals with the reasons behind why the Apollo program was started, each mission and it's successes and failures. It's got a great cast including Lane Smith, Jay Mohr, Adam Baldwin, Cary Elwes, Sally Field, Tom Hanks, Matt Craven, Steve Zahn and many other familiar faces.

If you like The Right Stuff and Apollo 13, you'll love it. You really will. If you do, get the book 'Moon Dust' to find out what happened to the astronauts after the Apollo era was over. It's very interesting stuff.

As for Into The West, i haven't seen it but i heard reviews were mixed.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 3
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 10:54:34 AM   
Rgirvan44

Best t.v news i have heard in a long time!

I have just finished studying the American Revolution at university, and focused quite a bit on events in Maasachuetts. Without going into too much detail about how people became revoltionaries it was a very complex process - most of those who lead the revolt still toasted to the health of the King  for instance. It was not as straightforward as heroic rebels against eveil empire. Britian taxed the colonies very lightlty - it was the principle in regards to the loss of liberty that made men like Adams take up arms. Likewise the governers we not bad people, perhaps a bit stuffy and in over thier heads. I just hope the show has the sense to protray all this, including those that still supported the crown.

I am also guessing from that information we may not see much of the war itself - Adams went off to France to act as anbassador, securing thier logisical support initally and then thier full support after the victory at Saratoga . I could be wrong but if the focus is on Admas don't expect to witness huge battles.

I have always thought it strange we have never seen a definitive Revoultionary film, most Americans did not like the word (thats why its called The Boston Tea Party and not The Boston Revolt as the British called it) and the Partirot was awful, I trust HBO though - and Giamatti will undoubtaby be excellent, the letters between Adams and his wife are a great resource that humanises the founding fathers and are a good basis for any show.

Can't wait!

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 21/8/2006 11:00:01 AM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 3:04:43 PM   
elab49

Into the West was awful, and very poorly judged. One hopes the mistake won't be repeated.

And, more importantly, one hopes that this one actually gets the nationalities of those fighting on either side right - unlike the atrocious borderline racist The Patriot (since everyone these days seems to think of countries as races I may as well use the word improperly too!).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 3:12:00 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Into the West was awful, and very poorly judged. One hopes the mistake won't be repeated.

And, more importantly, one hopes that this one actually gets the nationalities of those fighting on either side right - unlike the atrocious borderline racist The Patriot (since everyone these days seems to think of countries as races I may as well use the word improperly too!).

Is it wrong that liked The Patriot? Even after i wrote my university dissertation on History Being Rewritten For Film? It's good enjoyable historical nonsense with Gibbo doing the down trodden hero thing he does so well. Personally i love it when us Brits are portrayed as evil, baby burning, moustache twirling villains. We just do it so well. Jason Issacs is a joy to watch.

As for the mountains of innaccuracies, well you just have to let some things go. You can't have your hero beating his slaves can you? Therefore he treats them with respect and i think you'll find that us Brits did committ atrocities during the war...as did the colonials. It does tend to happen quite a lot unfortunatly throughout history.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 3:20:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

The problem was not so much that it was inaccrurate (which it was) but that it took the simple route when life in colonial America was much more complex. The single biggest issue about the revoltuion is that neither slaves were freed by the consitution nor that woman were given the vote. They didnt mention the issue and it took a civil war to resolve it.  This paradox is fascinating and would have evelvated the Patriot above just an ok action movie. Im sure i read an interview in Empire in which Harrison Ford said that he was offered the script but dismissed it on these grounds. I do hope this show does not shy away from the more harsh elements both of colonial life, and their attitudes.

Many slaves were treated the way they were in the Partiot, but you can be sure for every 1 household that acted in this way 50 were very harsh, this is never seen in the film. Niether is that fact that the British would free any slave that would muster to thier banner (and many did). Writers and film - makers shouldnt be afraid to show this, it turns 2D characters into complex people at odds with themselves - far more intresting than a revenge flick with the war as a backdrop.

Also the British were not nearly as villionous as the film shows - for true brutallity you should read up on the fighting in the Carolinas before the British arrive. The Loyalists and Revoultionaries were brutal - the most henious attrocties were commited by these two colonial factions being at each others throats - again a much more intresting story than the Patriot.

< Message edited by Rgirvan44 -- 21/8/2006 3:27:33 PM >

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 3:39:36 PM   
Jim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Is it wrong that liked The Patriot? Even after i wrote my university dissertation on History Being Rewritten For Film? It's good enjoyable historical nonsense with Gibbo doing the down trodden hero thing he does so well. Personally i love it when us Brits are portrayed as evil, baby burning, moustache twirling villains. We just do it so well. Jason Issacs is a joy to watch.

As for the mountains of innaccuracies, well you just have to let some things go. You can't have your hero beating his slaves can you? Therefore he treats them with respect and i think you'll find that us Brits did committ atrocities during the war...as did the colonials. It does tend to happen quite a lot unfortunatly throughout history.

I always enjoy seeing us like that as well, for some reason 

< Message edited by Jim -- 21/8/2006 3:40:06 PM >

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 21/8/2006 9:52:47 PM   
elab49

I think it takes it beyond distasteful when you basically bring in nazi atrocities and, in your ongoing hatred, attribute them to the English. ANd I'm a Scot!

Quite apart from that the script was trite and the acting woeful - which was a good enough reason to detest it for me.

Still, again, any series that gets it right - brings in the fighting with the French, the Germans, the mercenaries, the real meaning of the 'tea party' and the colonial allegiances would a) shock a lot of people who like simple stories that are utter poppycock and b) make me quite happy

< Message edited by elab49 -- 21/8/2006 9:56:26 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Jim)
Post #: 9
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 22/8/2006 6:24:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

This sounds like it could be good. I love Band Of Brothers (who doesn't?) but I have yet to see Into The West or From The Earth To The Moon. I particularly want to see the latter as I've always enjoyed space related films/shows (last years Space Race was a joy)

Paul Giamatti is always good to watch, so I have reasonable hopes for this.

Off-topic a bit, but I really enjoy The Patriot. I couldn't care less that the Brits are pure evil and Gibson plays the worlds nicest slave owner. I didn't watch it for a history lesson. I'd read a book if I wanted that.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 26/8/2006 9:19:55 PM   
VincentHanna

This sounds good. Never seen Into The West but I own the boxsets of both of the others.
Still though, makes me wonder......I thought "The Pacific War" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374463/
was supposed to be out this year. Wonder when it's due then?

< Message edited by VincentHanna -- 26/8/2006 9:20:30 PM >

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 11
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 13/9/2006 12:13:35 PM   
Timon

The Pacific War is temporarily on hold at the moment. If I was The Berg, I'd wait for Clint Eastwood to finish Flags Of Our Fathers/Red Sun, Black Sand and save a huge amount of production costs by using his props.

There's a detailed thread about THE PACIFIC WAR below.

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=112430&mpage=1&key=pacific&NID=0#430281

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 12
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 17/1/2007 12:04:06 PM   
Timon

Apparantly Laura Linney is cast as John Adam's wife Abigail.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 17/1/2007 12:09:39 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

And Stephen Dillane is playing Thomas Jefferson.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: New HBO American Revolution Miniseries (From The Ma... - 17/1/2007 12:15:49 PM   
Rgirvan44

Good choice. I haven't heard much other casting news, maybe it would give us too much of a clue as to what the focus of the show will be about and the time period they will be working in - I know its suppose to be set before the Revolution but thats still a good 15 year period of time.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 5/3/2007 11:25:34 PM   
Timon

Rufus Sewell has been cast as Alexander Hamilton.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 16
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 26/3/2007 1:53:56 PM   
Timon

Again, trying to drum up interest.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 26/3/2007 2:07:12 PM   
elab49

More information makes this seem more inviting although McCullough's take on Adams has mixed reviews. It will be great to see the wonderful David Morse back on television though.

quote:

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 26/3/2007 2:38:26 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

And our own Tom Wilkinson as Benjamin Franklin! Superb. I've got high hopes for this one.

Full cast list:

Paul Giamatti: John Adams
Laura Linney: Abigail Adams
Stephen Dillana: Thomas Jefferson
David Morse: George Washington
Tom Wilkinson: Benjamin Franklin
Danny Huston: Samuel Adams
Rufus Sewell: Alexander Hamilton
Justin Theroux: John Hancock
Guy Henry: Jonathan Sewall

Shame we're unlikely to see it until 2008.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 27/3/2007 2:43:02 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

More information makes this seem more inviting although McCullough's take on Adams has mixed reviews. It will be great to see the wonderful David Morse back on television though.

Its a good book, gives you a solid foundation on which to build. But don't treat it as a definitive account of Adams. If the writers know their stuff they will have read up on people such as Pauline Maier and Gorodn S Wood and Bernard Baylin for the greater trends occuring in colonial society at the time.

Love the casting - looking forward to seeing Theroux as Hancock on screeen

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 27/3/2007 10:31:23 AM   
vernieboy

Like everyone else i really enjoyed Band of Brothers and am therefore very much looking forward to seeing this. The cast looks very strong so heres hoping that the mini series is delivered in a way that weaves all the political strands of the time together without over simplifying to the point of the ridiculous

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 21
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 31/3/2007 8:44:36 PM   
svgbdgr

Top notch cast. I hope this is more Band of Brothers than Into The West, which, frankly, bored the arse off me.

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to vernieboy)
Post #: 22
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 17/4/2007 12:26:17 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

The multimillion dollar sequel to Steven Spielberg's acclaimed World War II series, Band Of Brothers, is bound for Australia. Production of the sequel, titled The Pacific, is expected to be confirmed this month.

With a budget of more than $150 million, the 10-part series is the most expensive ever made in Australia.
While the producers - Home Box Office, Tom Hanks's Playtone and Spielberg's DreamWorks - have not made an official comment about The Pacific, they have set up a production office in Melbourne and commenced casting.
The cameras are expected to start rolling in August, with locations to include Far North Queensland, Melbourne and the Northern Territory.
The sequel to Band Of Brothers focuses on the US involvement in the war in the Pacific and is anticipated to be based in Australia for close to a year.
It will employ about 280 Australian actors, including almost 20 male leads and at least 250 in supporting roles or as extras.
Producers have chosen to base the series at Melbourne's Central City Studios over Sydney's Fox Studios or Warner Roadshow Studios on the Gold Coast.
AusFilm chief executive officer Mark Woods said a production as big as The Pacific would be a significant boost to the Australian film business.
"A production of the size and scale of The Pacific shooting in Australia would transform the local film industry," he said. "It is a huge production. If it does end up based here, it would be very exciting."
Australia has lobbied heavily for The Pacific to be based there.

Looking forward to it!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 23
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 10/6/2007 9:52:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

Little trailer for this. Looking good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG1ay7XkONc

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 24
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 5/7/2007 1:29:18 PM   
Timon

Very short teaser isn't it?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 20/7/2007 1:47:04 AM   
Taffy

Christ that is a teaser, any shorter and it wouldn't tease it would barely oggle. A historical series from the band of brothers team, on HBO, with a great cast and a portrayal of a period rarely shown on television? Think i'll pass.................

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 23/8/2007 10:51:53 AM   
Timon

Who wants to see a longer teaser? All of 55 secs! See below.

Right Click and Save as

< Message edited by Timon -- 23/8/2007 10:54:30 AM >

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 27
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 20/9/2007 9:57:54 AM   
Timon

Based on David McCullough's Pulitzer Prize-winning biography, and executive produced by Playtone's Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman (HBO's Emmy®-winning miniseries "Band of Brothers"), JOHN ADAMS is an epic miniseries event that explores American history through one of its greatest founding fathers, John Adams, a fiercely independent spirit whose unwavering vision steered America through a tumultuous period. The outstanding ensemble cast is led by Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney as John and Abigail Adams. JOHN ADAMS is directed by Emmy® Award-winner Tom Hooper (HBO's "Elizabeth I"), and written by Kirk Ellis (Emmy®-nominated for "Anne Frank: The Whole Story"), who also serves as
co-executive producer.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 20/9/2007 1:53:16 PM   
Mycroft

I let out an involuntary giggle at that trailer, the way they cut to Giamatti's snow-covered face was like a horror film 

David Morse as George Washington? Interesting choice.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: John Adams (New HBO American Revolution Miniseries) - 22/1/2008 11:02:21 AM   
Timon

Apparently it begins in March on HBO and is shown every Sunday.
Can't wait - also, can't seem to find any new trailers, promo material etc etc

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> John Adams (From The Makers Of Band Of Brothers) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI