Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 19/11/2013 8:41:23 PM   
superdan

That is the worst free kick I've ever seen, well done Kyle Walker. If I had done that on a Sunday League pitch I would have been given a right earful and never lived it down.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 6031
RE: The England Football Thread - 19/11/2013 8:51:48 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Minor the goal (and Kyle Walker) its been a ok performance but with Germany now taking the lead it'll be interesting to see how a few of the young and inexperienced players play on,hopefully their heads dont drop.
But these two games have been a good,though tough, eye-opener to what England need to expect in Brazil.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 19/11/2013 8:52:13 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6032
RE: The England Football Thread - 19/11/2013 9:10:34 PM   
superdan

To be fair to England, they've done their best to make a game of this and haven't been overawed really. I give it another 18 minutes before Milner comes on and it all goes turgid though.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 6033
RE: The England Football Thread - 19/11/2013 9:24:54 PM   
Scott_

Somebody needs to write "STAY ON YOUR FUCKING LINE" on Joe Harts gloves. Should still be first choice though, he's a great shot-stopper.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6034
RE: The England Football Thread - 19/11/2013 9:26:32 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

If I was Roy Hodgson I would seriously consider calling-up Steve Guppy.

Post #: 6035
RE: The England Football Thread - 20/11/2013 10:42:39 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm glad I'm not Roy.

The team looks weak in every quarter right now. The goalkeeper nervy. The defense jerry-rigged together. The midfield just a series of holes waiting for a bus to be driven through them. The forwards cut-outs of players. The only player who seems up for it, is Townsend. But we really can't go into a major tournament with the plan of give it to Andros, unless he's suddenly going to turn into a Ronaldo or Diego.

If Roy manages to get England out of the group it will be a massive achievement, as I'm not even sure that England will manage more than 2 goals in the tournament.

Post #: 6036
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/12/2013 12:06:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Barkley looked excellent again last night. At the start of the season, I thought there might be a chance of him getting on the plane to Brazil just for the experience. Right now I think he could well be a real option to start.

If he could just start scoring a couple of goals, because I think that will be England's biggest problem. Roy seems to be intending to play on the counter-attack. Its a tactic that makes sense for England given that we can't pass the ball more than 3 consecutive times and there should be plenty of pace in the team. But the implication of this is that we could well be getting bugger all shots on goal. The team will be well drilled to not lose shape and that means few players getting forwards, so the ones we have I think should all be given a few of the new balls and be told to practise having a crack from 25 to 30 yards out as I could see that being as close to goal as we get.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6037
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/12/2013 8:02:09 PM   
Scott_

Aye, he's an option, needs to add a killer final ball to his game though. On paper a front 4 of Wilshire, Barkley, Lallana and Rooney looks good, Roy isn't the manager to get that combo working. Don't think Welbeck, Walcott or Townsend have the end product to play really effective counter attacking football either.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 6038
RE: The England Football Thread - 10/12/2013 11:23:18 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Aye, he's an option, needs to add a killer final ball to his game though. On paper a front 4 of Wilshire, Barkley, Lallana and Rooney looks good, Roy isn't the manager to get that combo working. Don't think Welbeck, Walcott or Townsend have the end product to play really effective counter attacking football either.

But Walcott and Townsend have the pace to really hurt teams on the break. It's a difficult one. No doubt Roy will Just play Milner and Welbeck. Safety first !

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 6039
RE: The England Football Thread - 23/2/2014 12:09:55 PM   
superdan

Euro 2016 Qualifying Group E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland

Nice draw for England that.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 6040
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/3/2014 8:40:19 AM   
superdan

Sol Campbell continues to demonstrate that he is a bitter old weirdo: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/02/sol-campbell-football-association-england-captain

He blames institutional racism for not being picked as captain while an England player. Quite how the 5 managers who picked him for England will feel about that, I don't know. His argument might carry some weight (though not as much as he does) if it weren't for the fact that Paul Ince captained England several times before him, and Rio Ferdinand several times after.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6041
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/3/2014 9:10:35 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, I thought that. I mean, looking at his international career, Shearer and then Beckham were the captains during his time. Both completely understandable choices really, and I say that as someone who thinks Campbell would have been a fine choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6042
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/3/2014 1:39:51 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Sadly, I think Sol answers his own question. And it is because England captain has many other duties, not just on-field performance. And sadly Sol has shown time and again that in interviews he's much more likely to come out with a load of bollocks than players who were captain.

He was a fine player, but I don't quite understand why he's not going to lengths to tarnish his own reputation.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6043
RE: The England Football Thread - 3/3/2014 12:56:48 PM   
Lensman 23

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Sol Campbell continues to demonstrate that he is a bitter old weirdo: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/02/sol-campbell-football-association-england-captain

He blames institutional racism for not being picked as captain while an England player. Quite how the 5 managers who picked him for England will feel about that, I don't know. His argument might carry some weight (though not as much as he does) if it weren't for the fact that Paul Ince captained England several times before him, and Rio Ferdinand several times after.

That's what I was thinking when I saw him make such remarks. Ashley Cole who is universally disliked got made captain for a game. Whats that about then?

Twitter: @MrSehdeva
PSN: Lensman23

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6044
RE: The England Football Thread - 1/5/2014 5:20:26 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Just picked my England squad via the sky sports selector.
clicky

FlatBobs England Squad

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 1/5/2014 5:23:50 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Lensman 23)
Post #: 6045
RE: The England Football Thread - 1/5/2014 5:59:14 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Here's mine:

YFU'S World Cup Winning Squad

To be honest, I've tried to leave as much of the deadwood at home as possible. Tough group and not a chance of winning the WC even if we progress from the group I'd prefer to give some of the younger lads the experience of playing in a major international tournement and try and set them in good stead for the Euro's and the next world cup.

One thing that was obvious when picking the squad was how dire our attacking options up top are, I was practically forced into picking Wellbeck.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 6046
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/5/2014 11:36:18 AM   
Rinc

And mine: here

The striking options pretty much pick themselves. I actually think the 4 strikers (Rooney, Sturridge, Lambert and Welbeck) is alright, it's just beyond that there's dross.

The defence is tough and I haven't included Stones despite him playing really well lately. If he went it would be good though.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 6047
RE: The England Football Thread - 2/5/2014 3:10:25 PM   
Scott_

Defoe and Carroll. Paul Merson, Football expert.

Mine

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6048
RE: The England Football Thread - 3/5/2014 4:29:42 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

clicky

FlatBobs England Squad

Not a Baines fan, Bob?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 6049
RE: The England Football Thread - 3/5/2014 9:19:14 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

clicky

FlatBobs England Squad

Not a Baines fan, Bob?

No mate. See him like Jags, good Premier league player but nothing special.
Cole still far superior, it isn't even close, and I'd take Gibbs, Flanagan or Shaw instead.
Did think of picking the lad from Liverpool and switch him to RB because we're so poor there too.
Think Baines has still got bad defensive habits which aren't going to improve.
If I could have gotten 20 million from Man Utd I'd have ripped their arm off.
He'd just be robbing the promising talent of vital experience.
Given the Euro groups I'd go with the youngsters across the entire defence.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 3/5/2014 9:22:28 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 6050
RE: The England Football Thread - 4/5/2014 1:31:22 PM   
Rinc

Who would you pick at RB?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 6051
RE: The England Football Thread - 4/5/2014 6:14:50 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Who would you pick at RB?

For the Euros or World Cup?

World Cup I don't care tbh I don't think any of them are good enough.
Probably Jones, Johnson is the best of the bunch but I wouldnt take him because he wouldn't be in my squad for the qualifiers.
I'm not happy with the defence full stop, and I personally would look at Caulker over Smalling but didn't have the option.
Euro qualifiers I would look to Caulker, Stones, and Jones for the centre halves.
Shaw, Gibbs and Flanagan for left backs.
Right backs I'm struggling which is why I wondered if Flanagan can play there as I think he is right footed.
But going with those to the World Cup, they'd struggle and it might effect then longer term.
The qualifying group is a joke anyway so we should use it to blood the youngsters.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 4/5/2014 6:23:10 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6052
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 10:04:21 AM   
Rinc

The defence is pretty poor. I wouldn't be as ruthless as you and discard any player that won't be part of the qualifying squad, plus I think Jones would get torn apart at RB in the World Cup. Smalling has the potential to be a really good CB imo but has had a poor season, why didn't you have the option to look at Caulker over Smalling? Caulker's in my squad!

Flanagan is primarily a RB so would do a job there. I'm not convinced he'll ever be anything other than a dependable full back, which I suppose is a pretty good thing to be. It's a shame that Martin Kelly's career seems to have stalled this season as I think he has the potential to be England's first choice RB. He doesn't get dragged out of position so much like Johnson but is still a powerful attacking RB.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 6053
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 10:25:41 AM   
superdan

quote:

Flanagan is primarily a RB so would do a job there. I'm not convinced he'll ever be anything other than a dependable full back, which I suppose is a pretty good thing to be. It's a shame that Martin Kelly's career seems to have stalled this season as I think he has the potential to be England's first choice RB. He doesn't get dragged out of position so much like Johnson but is still a powerful attacking RB.

It always seems to be the way with England - replete with decent LB's but never anyone on the right to match. The RB position has always been littered with players who never seemed at the same grade for one reason or another - Dixon, Parker, Rob Jones, Gary Charles, Danny Mills, Owen Hargreaves etc. In an ideal world Kelly, Jenkinson, Richards, Clyne and now Stones would all be giving Hodgson the same selection dilemmas and possibilities that Shaw, Gibbs and now Flanagan do on the left, but none of them seem likely to seize the role on a long term basis any time soon.

< Message edited by superdan -- 5/5/2014 11:46:18 AM >

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6054
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 10:44:32 AM   
galvatron

That's why I'd have Milner playing right back. He's got incredible work rate, energy and physicality and he's underrated on the ball as well. He's positionally disciplined and a much better player than Johnson. If we end up playing Smalling or Jones at right back it'll be a disgrace.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6055
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 12:01:53 PM   
superdan

Just realised I said Lee Mills instead of Danny Mills! Fuck knows what short-circuit happened in my brain there, Lee Mills hasn't played for Wolves for nearly 20 years!

As for Milner, given that half the time he ends up covering for Johnson at RB when he goes rampaging forward it seems weird that they've never tried reversing their positions from the start. He's another one who's not a long term solution though, and I'm with Bob in the sense that after the WC it should be a case of playing the youngsters with a view to having an experienced, capable squad familiar with playing alongside one another for the next WC in Russia. Many of them (like Shaw, Stones, Barkley, Sterling, Jones, Wilshere, Ox, Caulker etc) will still be 30 or under in Qatar, and that's not including others who have the time and potential to still step up (Butland, Zaha, Hughes, Morrison, Berahino, Redmond, Ince, Wickham, Kane and so on).

Of course, there's always the chance that many if not most will end up crocked or just not getting picked for their clubs due to them damn foreigners tekkin' jerbs, in which case we're fucked.

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 6056
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 12:49:46 PM   
Dirk Miggler

Isn't Flanagan actually a right back that's been playing on the left ? And there's also Stones. I would be tempted to take one of the two just because we are so short and both have been playing well, Richards needs a move to re-ignite his career, Arsenal would be a good option considering its near certain Sagna will be leaving in the summer

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 5/5/2014 1:26:47 PM >

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 6057
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 2:14:50 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I would do a WC squad but I really dont think it's going to be any different to what most people have in their selections.
In some cases I think the squad,minor possibly 3 players,generally picks itself or that I/we can pretty much get a sense of Roy's thinking.

quote:

It's a shame that Martin Kelly's career seems to have stalled this season as I think he has the potential to be England's first choice RB. He doesn't get dragged out of position so much like Johnson but is still a powerful attacking RB.

Yep.Whenever I saw Kelly I was generally impressed.

Post #: 6058
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 4:25:59 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Isn't Flanagan actually a right back that's been playing on the left ? And there's also Stones. I would be tempted to take one of the two just because we are so short and both have been playing well, Richards needs a move to re-ignite his career, Arsenal would be a good option considering its near certain Sagna will be leaving in the summer

Yep, Flanagan is a RB.

Richards should come to Liverpool, I'd love him here.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 6059
RE: The England Football Thread - 5/5/2014 8:12:49 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

Yep, Flanagan is a RB.

Richards should come to Liverpool, I'd love him here.

Either would be a really good move for him TBH and he needs it. He's been quite unlucky, was never fancied under Capello, was probably City's first choice RB the season they won the title until injury and Zaboleta's form kept him out of the side but he has a lot to give and is still relatively young with his best years still ahead of him

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 6060
Page:   <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  200 201 [202] 203 204   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI