Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The England Football Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  198 199 [200] 201 202   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The England Football Thread - 15/10/2013 10:27:39 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

That noise from the Poland fans is unreal! Can you imagine any other country's football association allowing a quarter of the stadium to be away fans? Not a chance!

I'm pretty sure half our stadium was Polish when we played them last.

Only so the FAI could retain the right to put them out in an Ireland shirt in the future.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 5971
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 7:10:04 AM   
Dirk Miggler

Was a good performance and was nice to see England go for it and not sit back on a 1-0, on another night we could have had 5. I thought Rooney, Townsend, Gerrard, Baines all had cracking games, I thought Smalling played really well also, a very nervey start but he really grew into the game.

I think we saw the best and worst of Welbeck last night and I would say that his position is definitely one that is up for grabs. With the wealth of young attacking talent that seems to be breaking through and making its mark this season, this can only be a good thing for England.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 5972
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 7:51:19 AM   
jonson

Best England performance I've seen for years, literally years (note: from the point of being in a pub, so no real way of assessing it) Really enjoyed it, thought Gerrard had his best game for a long while, Rooney, Townsend, Baines all awesome.
Sat with a friend who last month spunked 5k on tickets (7 games) and 17k on an apartment in Rio for 4 weeks (between 4 of them) so I was secretly hoping it would go to a play-off just to make him wince a bit longer, he's a smug twat now though

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Dirk Miggler)
Post #: 5973
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 8:07:19 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan
Poland will score in this game, 1 goal will not be enough.

I obviously suffered a bout of directorscutitis last night when it came to my predictions.

Post #: 5974
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 11:45:20 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Best England performance I've seen for years, literally years (note: from the point of being in a pub, so no real way of assessing it) Really enjoyed it, thought Gerrard had his best game for a long while, Rooney, Townsend, Baines all awesome.
Sat with a friend who last month spunked 5k on tickets (7 games) and 17k on an apartment in Rio for 4 weeks (between 4 of them) so I was secretly hoping it would go to a play-off just to make him wince a bit longer, he's a smug twat now though

Agreed, the problem is the defence. Of the 4 only 1 would you want starting, ironically its the three that came via my club that let the side down, Walker, Cahill, Jags.
We could do with a couple of the youngsters getting regular games at centre half for their clubs and playing blinders. At least they would get some good experience in Brazil. Can't see the benefit of playing Jags/Cahill.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 16/10/2013 11:48:03 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5975
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 1:05:59 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I had stupidly scheduled myself to be on a flight while the match was on, so I totally missed it. But the reports sound good.

I think this should give Roy at least two more years and hopefully 4 to try to take England to the next phase. And by that, I mean work with the entire set up on youth development, etc. manage the end of Gerrard, Lampard et al and bring through the next generation.

For me, this is good enough right now, that we have qualified. If we get out of the group stages, for me that will be a bonus (though I'd like to see them do that). If we can just not lose against the first good team we face I'll consider that a real achievement.

Post #: 5976
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 2:17:40 PM   
directorscut

Remember, England won't be seeded so they could potentially be in a group with Spain and Holland.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5977
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 2:33:35 PM   
Dirk Miggler

I can live with Enland not getting out of the groups so long it's a youthfull squad/team and they play with a similar fearlessness and determination they showed in the last 2 qualifiers. Obviously I would like them to go further and they could possibly do so, but with it being in Brazil and the obvious quality of the teams above us I think the pres will find it hard to whip up a frenzy of expectation like years gone by.

Post #: 5978
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 5:15:21 PM   
superdan

quote:

Remember, England won't be seeded so they could potentially be in a group with Spain and Holland.

I'd love that. I take that over a group like the one we had in South Africa. We'd stand no chance of getting out of the group, but at least we'd be put out by proper teams and any win would be a glorious upset, rather than limping our way through a weak group and getting humped in the last-16 like 2010.

Post #: 5979
RE: The England Football Thread - 16/10/2013 9:04:44 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

That would be great, either that or draw Brazil from Pot1 now that would be special and get the excitment building to next summer.
Playing Brazil in their home world cup, doesn't get much better than that.
It wouldn't be chosen, but it would make an epic opening game.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 16/10/2013 9:22:34 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 5980
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:23:30 PM   
jonson

Hopefully this scandal of Roy's half time team talk gets put to bed early. Fucking annoying that it got leaked, got taken out of context, fuck me even the players are supporting him, so how does it leak like this?
As much as I am an ardent supporter of kicking racism out of football, these people sometimes look for shit where there isn't any. I'm sure Piara Powar has everyone's best interests at heart here, but seriously, fuck off, there IS racism still out there, but Roy Hodgson isn't part of the problem.

However, Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), told the BBC that Hodgson had got it wrong.

"This was a silly phrase to use in a diverse workforce," said Powar.

"I think some players will see it as a reflection of the type of language still used by some coaches and some attitudes that still prevail."

Twat. He called someone a coconut once so if he wants to scrape the racist barrel, he needs to look no further than himself

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 5981
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:34:18 PM   
horribleives

I hope when Hodgson or the senior players find out who the supposedly 'offended' party that leaked it (ie the thick cunt who didn't get the joke) was he gets kicked out of the squad. And all these spokespeople from anti-racist groups lining up to condemn Hodgson are totally undermining their own campaigns. There's plenty of real, horrible racism in the world (and, sadly, in football), to dwell on this is insulting to the England team and to anyone who's ever suffered genuine abuse.

< Message edited by horribleives -- 17/10/2013 4:35:20 PM >

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5982
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:36:22 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I still don't know exactly what Roy said. Seems like out of context it could be taken the wrong way, but clearly the player it was directed at or any other England player didn't take it that way. So, its kind of a case of someone getting offended on someone else's behalf when they weren't even there.

The upshot of that is quite damaging imo as there is then a potential for Kick it Out, etc, to be seen as overly PC and not in the real world. So when there is a more serious issue to put forwards, it won't ring as strongly from them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5983
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:43:40 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I still don't know exactly what Roy said. Seems like out of context it could be taken the wrong way, but clearly the player it was directed at or any other England player didn't take it that way. So, its kind of a case of someone getting offended on someone else's behalf when they weren't even there.

The upshot of that is quite damaging imo as there is then a potential for Kick it Out, etc, to be seen as overly PC and not in the real world. So when there is a more serious issue to put forwards, it won't ring as strongly from them.

This has all happened because one player was too dumb to get the point of a joke (which in this case was: this particular player is tearing the opposition apart - give him the ball). A joke which, quite literally, some idiot was offended by because it happened to feature the word 'monkey' (god knows who the player is but he must think Karl Pilkington's some kind of neo-Nazi).
And you're right about Kick it Out, etc - they've already damaged their reputations in my view.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 5984
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:45:28 PM   
directorscut

Typical English media shit-stirring bollocks. Would love Hodgso to flip out ninja-style on them.

Post #: 5985
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 4:54:40 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

Typical English media shit-stirring bollocks. Would love Hodgso to flip out ninja-style on them.

Just heard about this and to me it smarks of the press trying to create a negative England story because there is not one on the pitch.

For me it was a very entertaining game with both teams really going for it, and that the pace kept up for the best part of 90 minutes was really impressive. At times we were very wide open at the back and on the counter they looked dangeous some of that was down to Smalling going missing, however it was on the whole a very good performance and a good two nil win.

Suddernly that draw in Unkraine doesn't look so bad does it

BTW I think Baines has really staked his claim to replace Cole full-time now. His cross for Rooney's goal was top draw and on current form I think he derserves it more, also having Cole on the bench would help keep Baines on his toes. Think you can bring Cole in for the odd game like if we were playing someone like Brazil in a world cup game and more experience was needed.

Post #: 5986
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 5:48:03 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

I'm not sure we can blame the press here the story was apparently leaked from one of the players who took offense to it. They have the right to run it.

I would love to know who it is, even if they genuinely thought it was offensive the fact that they thought the first people best to speak to about it is the press smacks of an ulteria motive/agenda.

Post #: 5987
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 5:56:49 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

I'm not sure we can blame the press here the story was apparently leaked from one of the players who took offense to it. They have the right to run it.

Yeah, because they are reporting the story out of journalistic integrity and not at all using it for sensationalism.

Post #: 5988
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 5:59:08 PM   
Scott_

Bloody hell. People are fucking idiots.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

Post #: 5989
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 5:59:59 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Hopefully this scandal of Roy's half time team talk gets put to bed early. Fucking annoying that it got leaked, got taken out of context, fuck me even the players are supporting him, so how does it leak like this?
As much as I am an ardent supporter of kicking racism out of football, these people sometimes look for shit where there isn't any. I'm sure Piara Powar has everyone's best interests at heart here, but seriously, fuck off, there IS racism still out there, but Roy Hodgson isn't part of the problem.

However, Piara Powar, executive director of Football Against Racism in Europe (Fare), told the BBC that Hodgson had got it wrong.

"This was a silly phrase to use in a diverse workforce," said Powar.

"I think some players will see it as a reflection of the type of language still used by some coaches and some attitudes that still prevail."

Twat. He called someone a coconut once so if he wants to scrape the racist barrel, he needs to look no further than himself

Well said.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5990
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 6:01:49 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

WHAT!!
CORRIE TO KILL OFF TINA.
WTF ,MAN.WTF.

Post #: 5991
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 6:05:52 PM   
Dirk Miggler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirk Miggler

quote:

Yeah, because they are reporting the story out of journalistic integrity and not at all using it for sensationalism.

Look I completely agree the press are sensationalist wankers who'll spin shit all day but I expect it and am certainly not suprised by it. The player though ? different kettle of fish, the fact he would break ranks, not have the backbone to confront the man about it and then run to the press before speaking to anyone, is unforgivable.

Let's be honest if a player drops this on a journalists lap they are going to run with it all day.

< Message edited by Dirk Miggler -- 17/10/2013 6:06:54 PM >

Post #: 5992
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 6:11:22 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Must have been a busy,challenging day in the Sun offices for this "story" to fend off other major new worthy events such as "Corrie to kill off Tina" and "Nicole and Lew in 7hr Hotel meet".

Post #: 5993
RE: The England Football Thread - 17/10/2013 6:19:42 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

Must have been a busy,challenging day in the Sun offices for this "story" to fend off other major new worthy events such as "Corrie to kill off Tina" and "Nicole and Lew in 7hr Hotel meet".

It's that kind of investigative journalism that makes The Sun so highly respected.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 5994
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 3:40:23 PM   
horribleives

With depressing inevitability, that shameless prick from the Society of Black Lawyers has stuck his oar in:
Yes, the same shameless prick who made a complaint to the police about Mark Clattenberg last year based on a completely unfounded allegation made after an incident he hadn't even seen. What a cunt.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 5995
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 6:58:12 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

You mean the lawyer guy who only gets mentioned when he makes these stupid comments?
Hardly surprising when near enough every other respected group and indiviual has come out saying how there is nothing to answer.

We should note the wise words of Collymore;
"Someone leaked it and I bet 100% confident that no player was offended, not one,"
"If they are, do explain why. Racism is hard enough to keep on the agenda as it is without making everyone think a legitimate space tale should be a cause for offence.
"Demeans every anti racism campaigner by having cheap pop at RH who said NOTHING WRONG. Makes campaigners seem over PC & petty. They're not."

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 18/10/2013 7:00:00 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 5996
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 9:00:19 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I think Jason Manford sums this sorry state of affairs up rather aptly.

"If, when you mention the word 'monkey' you are referring to the actual animal commonly known as a 'monkey'; then that is NOT racist. If however you hear someone say the word 'monkey' and immediately think to yourself that this must be some kind of racial slur, then the racist in question is actually YOU."

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 18/10/2013 9:07:52 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 5997
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 11:25:41 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I think Jason Manford sums this sorry state of affairs up rather aptly.

"If, when you mention the word 'monkey' you are referring to the actual animal commonly known as a 'monkey'; then that is NOT racist. If however you hear someone say the word 'monkey' and immediately think to yourself that this must be some kind of racial slur, then the racist in question is actually YOU."

While I agree the whole thing is ridiculous, that quote doesn't make any sense. If one assumes that the person who leaked it to the press was a black player offended by the use of the term (or possibly someone of any race who simply dislikes Roy and went to the press with something juicy, but I digress) - why would it then follow that said black player is prejudiced against black people? If a white person called a black person 'nigger' as a term of affection, would it make said black person a racist if they're offended by the term?

Personally I think it's anyone's right to be offended by something that makes them uneasy in some way, even if I personally think they'd be mistaken in a case such as this. What I do have a problem with is the idea of them not even bothering to go to Hodgson first to look for a constructive discussion about it, and instead go straight to the press with a potential scandal (and to do it anonymously as well). That to me suggests a more cynical motive, and that's why it undermines steps being taken to deal with racism.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 5998
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 11:35:52 PM   
directorscut

If a black man thinks a white man using the word monkey in the presence of a black man is automatically a racial meaning surely that's racial prejudice?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 5999
RE: The England Football Thread - 18/10/2013 11:47:55 PM   
Olaf

Oh no! The poor white people! I bet they've had to deal with centuries of institutionalised racial prejudice!

Nah but seriously, in this example the word monkey was not simply used 'in the presence of a black man'. The analogy equated a black man with a monkey (albeit with no racist intent, obviously), so there is an obvious difference. If someone for whom the term 'monkey' has a different weight and historical connotation responds to it differently, that's their prerogative, even if I'd personally disagree with the interpretation in this particular scenario.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 6000
Page:   <<   < prev  198 199 [200] 201 202   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The England Football Thread Page: <<   < prev  198 199 [200] 201 202   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI